What's the most effectie remedy you've tried for overcoming pervasive fear?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

What's the most effectie remedy you've tried for overcoming pervasive fear?

2. Chillyer315 profile image60
    Chillyer315posted 11 years ago

So far all I do is tell myself that I am being silly. Plus when it is nighttime I will eventually get tired and no matter how scared I am I will have to fall asleep. Other than that I face my fears as much as I can, even though it completely sucks...

3. Angela Blair profile image68
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

My most pervasive fears are fear of heights and claustrophobia and I've fought those all my life. I've found if I keep doing the things I fear most -- like flying -- my fear doesn't diminish but my sense of self-worth/self-control grows incrementally. For me, it's a trade off. At this age I know I can't overcome those fears but I've found a way to respect myself regardless -- by doing what I fear most.

4. sethpowers profile image58
    sethpowersposted 11 years ago

Facing your fears is the only way to overcome them. For pervasive fears, try to approach them incrementally. If you can overcome a little exposure then gradually you can work your way up to overcoming the larger fear. Therapy also helps to uncover the root of the fear.

5. weavesandbraids profile image74
    weavesandbraidsposted 11 years ago

I try and find out more about the issue I fear including recent stats - 'How many women my age actually die during childbirth per year'
    Then I pray and commit it all the God.
    Although the fear may not actually diminish, I gain the confidence to push on.
    The success diminishes the fear.   
    I have a fear of heights, but I have gotten to a point where I can step out to a balcony in a high rise(I can't reach the edge or look down yet).

I checked and very few people have died by falling off a balcony all by themselves when sober.
    I guess we continue chipping away at our fears all through life, just keep at it.

6. darkland profile image60
    darklandposted 11 years ago

Do you mean anxiety or fear?  If you are afraid in general, you're actually anxious. If that's the case, I have found it usually comes from being "over done".  Those times when you've been stressed out over a long period of time.  In this case, relax as much as you can and let your mind and body heal. Don't worry if it takes a while, it usually takes at least as long as the stressful condition lasted. Know it's okay to feel the way you do and let your mind work through it.
    If it's a phobia or fear of a specific thing or things, like the dark for instance, there has been great clinical success with visualization. When you're relaxed and feel safe, lay back, close your eyes and think about a fearful situation (it should be fictitious). Start slowly, think of something not too frightening.  When you begin to feel frightened, ease out of the mental situation.  Little by little you'll go further and further.  The subconscious doesn't know the difference between visualization and actually doing it in real life even though your conscious mind knows you're safe.  When you are no longer afraid to imagine being in the fearful situation, you can begin to ease into the actual situation.  By that point you should find it pretty easy to over come. If not just go back to the visualization and keep working at it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)