Is Islam Really a Peaceful Religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. newnation profile image57
    newnationposted 11 years ago

As I sat down to review the happenings in my country, Nigeria, one question kept creeping up in my subconscious...'Is Islam really a peaceful religion?'.Am sure this particular question has at one point or another crossed the minds of many Nigerians and the global community at large. Many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace, but daily occurrence the world over keeps pointing in the opposite direction. The question of how peaceful the religion has been has eluded a good number of us.

2. KarlawithaK profile image62
    KarlawithaKposted 11 years ago

I truly believe that Islam itself is a religion of peace and that the majority of Muslims follow a peaceful religion. From its origins, The Prophet worked to bring peace to Arabia. Until his death in 632, he encouraged respect among Muslims, Jews, and Christians who he called "People of the Book." In his last sermon he was quoted as giving a message from God saying "O people! We have formed you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another" (49: 13) That's not a call to jihad or any other kind of war.

Extremists and terrorists have long used religion to control and wage war. It has happened throughout history with both Christian and Islamic faiths.

I imagine that if Jesus and The Prophet were alive today, they would both be greatly troubled by the way their teachings have been used.

newnationposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Verses abound in the Qur’an which supports violence ranging from religious intolerance (Suras 9:5),domestic violence against women (Sura 4:34), amputation of criminals (Sura 5:38), harsh punishment for anyone that speaks against the prophet (Suras 3:

2. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have found, too, what newnation hubber explains here to be the case. Check out the book "Islam Uncensored" by Jeff King.

3. KarlawithaK profile image62
      KarlawithaKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I actually agree with both of you.There are verses that I have read that support heinous acts of violence.I've read them out of context though, and translated.I'm just not comfortable saying that I even correctly understood the meaning.

3. yeagerinvestments profile image69
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 11 years ago

I don't believe it can be. The Quran specifically states to convert people to Islam or they should be put to death.

1. andrew savage profile image58
      andrew savageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like another enemy of the American constitution. Do you know if they retranslate the Quran like they do with the King James Bible?

4. profile image0
    wongomowaleposted 11 years ago

There is no such thing as a peaceful religion or a violent religion. You have peaceful Muslims and violent Muslims. Islam itself, like most religions, is a guiding tool. It’s up to the Muslim to decide what he or she wants to do with Islam. But I will also say that Islam is like Christianity in that it’s not just enough to be a Muslim or a Christian; your religion also dedicates that you must actively try to convert others to save them. This is where much of the religious conflict comes from.

5. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 11 years ago

I don't think it can be. It is based on the life of someone who was of the belief that all other beliefs are to submit to his. No room was allowed for tolerance of different beliefs. He conquered and killed most all who resisted.

1. KarlawithaK profile image62

Christianity is based on the life of a man who was clearly anti-war, yet all five of the major religious wars involved some form of Christianity. If a religion is defined by its people, and how they practice, then I would say very few are peaceful.

2. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A hard look at recorded history, particularly in the first several 100 years after Islam was founded, shows it has been much more involved in violence than any other; 60-80 million Hindus alone have been slaughtered for not converting to Islam.

3. whonunuwho profile image53
      whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Religions are not meant to signify or in any way represent violence and aggression and those who would use it are maligning the purpose and faiths of millions of other honorable people, who truly believe in their faiths and religions.

6. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

I believe one would have to read and study the Koran to find this answer. Most of the world's religions have had violence associated with them over the centuries and the reasons behind these were numerous, yet one human trait was to be the most dominant causative agent, that of greed, and the never ending desire to conquer. When followed according to each religion's precepts and honored appropriately, mankind would stay on the right track of each dedicated people, no matter their culture or country in which they live. The straying away from the truth and what has been meant to follow in religions, and the goodness of each, has placed a terrible blame on individual world religions  and what they are seen to have brought upon the people of the world. The people of the world in every country, have greatly benefited in every walk of life by following their chosen religion and respecting and honoring others who may believe differently. It is my belief that God inspired men to follow Him and live in the right way of goodness and respect for all. I also believe we evolve a spirit in the way in which each of us follows and lives our lives, while we are alive in this world.At death our spirits live on, and join with all and the great spirit, or source of all existence.

But many of these religions really don't have verses directing or upholding such violence as the Quaran does. I guess maybe that's the reason why there are so many Islamic malitias

7. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
    Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years ago

I had very in depth discussions with a "peacefull" muslim who claimed that islam is completely peaceful while in the same paragraph claiming that people who sin deserve to be killed.

1. KarlawithaK profile image62

I'm pretty sure that the words "completely peaceful" can only be used safely for the religions of Buddhism and Hinduism. Your conversation proves that a religion can be "peaceful" in theory but in practice and interpretation of teachings, violent.

8. lostdogrwd profile image59
    lostdogrwdposted 11 years ago

the negative news on the Islam religion has nothing to do with it. they pray to the same God as Christians save that Jesus Christ is a prophet to them and Allah is God in Islam.the problem that the eastern country has on them is THERE MONEY SYSTEM SOUND AND THEY NEVER GAMBLE WITH THERE MONEY SYSTEM. THERE LOVE FOR GOD WOULD NOT allow them to leverage the money 1000s of times. that what this spin on them is about

I have critically examined some parts of the quaran, and it seems to me that it is full support of a lot of things ranging from domestic violence, amputation, stoning to actual murder. I want you to give me explanations for these verses in the quaran

2. lostdogrwd profile image59
      lostdogrwdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you can said the same for the bible and a few verses can't tell you about any religion, I not Islamic but I understand it some and I know that the real war is on there money system.

3. andrew savage profile image58
      andrew savageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So the real enemy is the god-machine "Mammon?" The personification of greed.

9. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 11 years ago

I think, and my studies, prove that it is not..........

Yet, I do think that there are those within its confines , who are of a peaceful and gentle nature.

10. andrew savage profile image58
    andrew savageposted 11 years ago

There are no peaceful religions, of which is precisely why there is a separation of Church and State. The very definition of re-ligion means "again binding." While I may not be an atheist, I may be a gnostic who affirms to the virtues of Christ, ESP in that no one shall be permitted to erect a temple to The Lord. I personally worship a deity whose name is so classified that he could only tell his followers that he is that he is, affirming to him existing while stating "I am that I am." And whose son's name was so sensitive that no one to this day can tell you the savior's name as they only call out to him "I am Annointed" (Jesus Christus).
    Islam is a grave threat to religious freedom as they are only several hundred years behind the mistakes of Catholicism and are stabbing in the dark just as Catholicus did after the assimilation of the Papacy.
    Al Qisas and Sharia Law pose some of the most fundamentally challenging threats to US constitutional freedoms and liberty in general as they do not respect the religious or religiousless beliefs affirmed to by other parties who differ. Let me remind you that Islam is the reason why there are no longer true Egyptians in Egypt, and has destabilized the middle eastern nations since its inception... Unfortunately after studying their history it was the Arab and North African communities that fostered a religion of terror and suppression. Then again Catholicism (especially the Papacy) are just as much of a terrorist mob under the guise of a community organization as much as the fundamentalist (or radical extremist) Islam. The fact that Islam is allegedly a growing religion only sets off trip wire signals that there is some piece of the universal culture that is alarmingly out of place. Religions such as Islam should be shrinking, regardless of how tragically amusing it may be to hear of the president of Persia having lossed his cultural niche and affirming to a religion that was never intended to be his own (ie the Iranian president).
    The answer to this question is self evident to all whom have studied history and to all who bow before a silent deity.

11. SAQIB6608 profile image70
    SAQIB6608posted 9 years ago

Yes, In true sense, if followed according to its soul, ISLAM Outshines all. It has all the virtues. Defined all rights of brothers,sisters,parents,relatives,teacher,neighbours,women and what not.

12. Rabiey profile image66
    Rabieyposted 9 years ago

yes. without thinking Islam is the most peaceful religion after that Christine

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)