Do we pray to God simply for our 'birth reservation' for our next life?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)
  1. cloudy_cool profile image70
    cloudy_coolposted 11 years ago

Do we pray to God simply for our 'birth reservation' for our next life?

Is it true that those 'lucky' ones born in affluent societies pray to God for making sure that they are reborn as affluent again in their next life, and those 'not-so-lucky' ones born in 'lower' societies pray to God for making their rebirth in the affluent or upper societies?
    If the terms, caste, creed, class, affluence are man made and we detest that as we live, then why are we still interested in wanting to be a part of this chaos? Discuss...

2. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

As a Christian, I pray for my daily well being and those of my family, as well. I pray to make the right choices in my life, forgiveness of my wrong doing, and good health. I also pray that i may have a positive effect on those around me and be a blessing. No, prayer is for the hear and now and if we live the good and honorable life, we will reap the benefits in what we call heaven, here and after our death. The scriptures tell us as Christians, that we are all to live only one life and not more after our death. In some countries our birth dictates what kind of life we will lead. In some countries, we are able to choose and improve our life style by our intellect and hard work. Affluence is established by many ways, some honorable and others not. We earn these on earth and not later. This is my personal belief and many others do believe as I do, as well. Some religions differ in this and all are to be respected in their precepts. Others believe in reincarnation or becoming a new entity in a new life form after death, and repeated over and over depending upon how each lives in their given bodily forms with each new life. I respect this belief and though it is not mine, I respect those who choose this as their following.

cloudy_coolposted 11 years agoin reply to this

very well said and put together!

3. SwordofManticorE profile image68
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

I pray out of Gratitude to God for all I have.

4. remaniki profile image78
    remanikiposted 11 years ago

Hi CC,
    No, I don't think that prayer and next birth (if at all one exists as the scriptures say) are related to one another. Not sure about previous and later births because I haven't looked deeply for an answer in those lines. 

But I strongly believe that if one is affluent and wants to gain peace in life and at death, they have to serve the poor and do what they can to uplift them. Helping the needy is a heavenly act and the happiness and satisfaction that you derive out of this is incomparable. Praying for affluence may not be answered in the affirmative be it in this birth or the next. This is my personal opinion.

Thought-provoking question that has prompted me to think about another birth. Thanks.

5. Brandon Tart profile image60
    Brandon Tartposted 11 years ago

Supplication is asking for Divine assistance.  Prayer of this nature can be for the individual that is praying, or for assistance in another person's life.  That sort of selfless prayer probably warrants a faster answer from the one who gave his own life. 

It is a sacrifice of time, and a conscientious departing from one's own needs or desires, hence, it is a prayer of considerably real love for another. 

I don't think the believer's prayer for salvation is altogether Biblical.  Ministers and evangelists say to many that we should pray for Christ to come into our lives.  I feel it is more of an act of faith when one decides to believe, to simply assert toward God a prayer of Gratitude for already being there.  Now that one believes, he is righteous... confession is made unto salvation.  Here is the exact quote from Romans.

"Man believes in the heart unto righteousness, and confession is made with the lips unto salvation."

The fits with the dictum that Christ put forth --  "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." 

Paul said in either Romans or Corinthians - "One cannot say that Christ is Lord unless it be by the spirit of God."  So, to confess to the fact that Christ is God incarnate requires a moment called Metanoia, "repentance", which means to change one's mind.  After the mind has genuinely changed, it is only logical that one's behaviors would be modified over time. 

One can pray the "sinner's prayer" if it makes that person comfortable so that they can remember a time when they started their journey of faith.  But I think God knows when a person really believes, and as for eternal salvation.... the only ingredient is belief. 

The dude on the cross next to Christ never had time to change his behavior, for instance, but he changed his mind and Christ told him - "truly this day will thou be with me in paradise."  But, as we live in Christ, we die to the deeds of immorality as a symptom of how we know that certain behaviors are merely illogical...  Like sleeping bareback with a prostitute... or sleeping with one to begin with... health risks are high either way.  If it is of the WORD, then it is of the LOGOS λόγος, meaning it is reasonable, as is God, who is the λόγος john1:1.  God expects us to be loving, which is reasonable, and merely await the life prepared after all this πάθος, or, suffering is over.

6. Steel Engineer profile image79
    Steel Engineerposted 11 years ago

It sounds like someone has given you some bad information.

The one true God of all creation, our Creator, is a warm, loving, generous FATHER to those who love Him.

We pray to God as we would ask our loving Father, who has unlimited resources and power.

We praise our Father in Heaven as the greatest King who ever was, is, and ever shall be. We thank Him for all the wonderful love and blessings He heaps on our lives in His lavish giving.

We speak with Him because His voice and wisdom instill peace into our minds and bodies.

Responses and fulfilled prayers comfort us. We hear and see, and all worry flees from our minds. We see, in each fulfilled prayer, that God is with us, and that His promises are true. It strengthens our faith and our spirits.

We go to Him for the same reason the unsaved chase after romance and friendship- in God we find Love.

7. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

I do not believe that is the case. Actually I never even have considered what you suggest when I pray.
    I pray prayers of thanksgiving, to ask for strength to weather the storms that assail us as we travel through life, for health and well being of my loved ones, family, and those that I know only as members of the human race.

8. gabgirl12 profile image61
    gabgirl12posted 11 years ago

Prayer is just communication with God. I detest high-born affluent people who seem to be 'lucky'. Most are people who have managed to influence or convince others of their 'worth'.
    And the problem is that they have to keep 'paying for it'.

There are plenty of things that money can buy, but when all of that is gone, its gone. Not everyone who is rich stays rich and not everyone who doesn't have much stays that way. To be rich or poor is in the head of the individual who makes a judgement call on another person.

If people really gave a damn about others they wouldn't waste time thinking about such nonsense. And if God really gives a damn, he wouldn't listen to so much crap about who's got more and who's got less.

I don't want to be a part of any chaos. But then again I live each day...one day at a time. Today I might not have much and tomorrow I have more. I'm grateful however because I have had both. But having or not having neither makes me or breaks me. What makes me is what I leave to my children when I'm gone, and not having regrets at the life I've lived before I pass on. Or anyone else regret knowing me. I'm still the same person whether having more or less, and those who love me I already know.

I doubt I'll be reborn.

We only live once...because its enough to make a difference that others will never forget.

9. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 11 years ago

I have always been taught to pray "only for knowledge of His will for us, and the power to carry it out."  That's it.  No requests.  However, I sometimes tell God what or who I am worried about, and ask for his guidance regarding those problems areas of my life.  Bottom line, though, is to just ask for the power to do God's will.  Sometimes that is harder than it sounds.

10. Fr Scott West profile image61
    Fr Scott Westposted 11 years ago

I pray in thanksgiving to God for what has already been given to me.

11. Slarty O'Brian profile image82
    Slarty O'Brianposted 11 years ago

God told me once that he is sick of people groveling. He knows everything in advance so you can all save your petitions. He sees though them anyway. If he thinks you worthy of help he's already planned to help you, if not you're on your own no matter how hard you grovel. He even helps atheists and heathens and wants to know who you are to judge?

He's also sick of people quoting the bible as if it is his word. It was written about him by people who didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

God didn't grant free will. We don't really have it. But we think we do and we have to act as if we do. Don't ask. He didn't tell me why. All you have to know is that you are still on the hook for your actions.

There is no devil, people. God has no enemies. If he did he disposed of them long ago before any of us existed.

Faith is not required. He exists or not whether you believe he does or not. Your belief does not feed him and make him stronger. Get over yourselves. He is above needing anyone's love or adoration. What do you think he is, an Assyrian tyrant king? You paint him to be a neurotic tyrant so unsure of himself that he needs to demand worship on penalty of eternal damnation if we don't comply, and then you grovel some more and call him all good and all loving. What a twisted idea of love humans have.

You want forgiveness? Don't ask god for it. Make restitution, ask the person you hurt for forgiveness. That's what makes god happy. If he was going to forgive you he would have already done it before you did it what you need forgiveness for. If you are just asking because you got caught forget it. He already knows if you are a good person or not. Feeling bad about it alone doesn't solve anything.

God wants you to use the brain he gave you. Study science and logic. Listen to cause and effect and study it. God put it there for a reason, it tells you what he wants. Study it. Forget the false beliefs and superstition of the primitives.

God wants you to start fresh. He only has one bit of advice to start you off: "Do no intentional harm." Simple right? And elegant in its simplicity. Follow that, and you are good to go. But warning: Its not as easy as it seems,

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about anything else about god or what he wants, don't be afraid to ask. If you don't happen to have him over for tea every Sunday afternoon as I do, I'll pass your questions along.

12. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Yes the conditions a person is born in depends on what they have done in their past lives according to the laws or Karma.  If a person was pius they would take a birth in a good family.  If the person was more destructive then they would take a birth in a less favorable condition in order to work off the Karma.  The goal is to get liberated from this material world and make it back hoome to Godhead.  If you do not believe in God then you at least want to make it to the heavely realms.  I would encourage you to read Bhagavad-Gita As It Is written by His Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

Best wishes on your journey.

cloudy_coolposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, as a matter of fact my question was inspired by the Gita! Thanks for highlighting it, although I am not still fully convinced...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)