Is the ultimate goal of a scientist to disprove God?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (28 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Is the ultimate goal of a scientist to disprove God?

Would it be the pinnacle of success or the end of human discipline as we know it?

2. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

You have a narrow focus on what science is. Science is about finding answers. Not about proving or disproving religious theories and lore. There are a very few scientific people who study the facts and lore of religious belief. Most scientists are focused on science, not religion.

The pinnacle of success would be to find a cure for cancer, prove the existence of life on other planets, develop time travel, cure the common cold, etc. God and religion are personal choices.

I really don't see religion as being connected to science at all. Some people like to have a bath and some like to have a shower. But bath or shower choices aren't relevant when it comes to deciding what you will have for dinner, unless you want to eat in the shower.

You also seem to assume everyone shares your religious beliefs. I'm not a Christian. I don't believe in heaven or hell and I doubt the existence of god as Christians see it. So whether or not science disproves god has no relevance on how I behave. Human discipline is up to each person. To blame or give credit to god and religion for everything just means you choose not to be responsible for your own actions.

1. IDONO profile image59
      IDONOposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I checked myself and really can't find where I shared my religious beliefs. If a doctor found the cure for cancer, do you think he would stop there? And you are right. You couldn't possibly blame or credit God with your last sentence. Thank God!

3. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 11 years ago

No, Scientist do not go out of their way to disprove God or faith.  Science is in the business of testing hypotheses to see how they match with empirical reality. There isn't much that's empirical about knowledge of God.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image87
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

Science is all about understanding. It is our pursuit of answers regarding our biology, our world and our universe. Religion is a similar pursuit of answers, except that it claims it's explanation is all encompassing and unchanging. Because religion is so resistant to change, it will frequently be in opposition to science and science will often produce results that conflict with religion. The goal of science is not to disprove god, it is to find answers. The cracks it exposes in religion are just a by-product of the research. Science admits when it is wrong, Religion only does so begrudgingly after it is backed into a corner. Therefore religion wrongly associates all of science's advances as personal attacks, when it should be working with science if it hopes to survive.

1. IDONO profile image59

Please don't confuse religion and faith.  Faith can never be proven wrong. There is no need to change.
      My question to you, my friend , what has motivated scientist for centuries to prove the big bang theory?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image87
      M. T. Dremerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the person. For some people, faith can be proven wrong; boiling it down to the limitations of the human mind and the scope of it's fear. But no one can disprove someone else's faith sufficiently enough to convince them it's wrong.

5. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

On the contrary..many scientists are reassessing their earlier opinions and deciding to accept a Creator as having made us all and all that we see. They have seen how there are too many variables to happen by accident, the expanding universe and all that is in it. Trillions of rights don't add up to a wrong and that is what many are agreeing upon. Now the ultimate goal is to persuade others who doubt a Creator, that there can be no other answer, and that God is our benefactor. Ah, at the pinnacle of the human intelligence, and just what we may decide in our own meager little minds..what conceit and self righteousness, and can we not ever find a more worthy question to focus upon in our pursuit of all that is?

6. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Science is the faith of materialism. Like religion, it rests on undefined terms and unprovable assumptions. There is not necessarily a conflict between the two. Theoretical physicists, for example, tend to be deeply religious people as well as devoted to the intellectual frontiers of science because they see that both are merely different disciplines of the same questing spirit, seeking similar ends, and that neither is invalid.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Scientists have tried for years to prove there is no God with their "Theories". That's all they are, Theories. Every word and prophecy in the Bible can and has been proven. Look it up. So many scientists now are giving up on their Theories and admitting there is a higher being. For some reason they can't stand the thought of someone else "God" being in control of their destiny? Man has tried and tried, You just can't out think that God exists. Even Albert Einstein believed in a higher being.

1. redwards01 profile image69
      redwards01posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Scientist prove their theories. Who proved the bible?  Any source saying the bible is true, especially on the internet, cannot be credited due to the fact the the writers were not around 2,000 years ago reduces all creditability to zero.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Theory? Look up the definition. The Bible "HAS" been proven. Do the research.

3. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The ones that live by it and experience what is written therein is the proof of what exist beyond science,and through trials and error have brought a lot of facts to the table of spiritual equations. You said it well my friend.

8. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

This article answers a cool question, as to whether or not we think that scientists are out to disprove that god exists. I say no way Jose, scientist are out to make history as they always do, but there's loads more details in this hub written in response to such a question. read more

1. CloudExplorer profile image77
      CloudExplorerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not sure whats the negatives here for, but if so do as you please, there really is no right answer to this question in my honest most humble opinion, because its a totally opinionated type of a question.

9. onegoodwoman profile image70
    onegoodwomanposted 11 years ago

I do not think so........

they ( scientists) bring us so very  much, that add to many lives, believers and non-believers alike........

It is hard for me to imagine that several thousand of them ( perhaps millions) have a single solitary goal.

It is a Huge and Massive branch of study.

10. profile image57
    kdawsonposted 11 years ago

People are altogether too sold on the purity of scientists and their work.  They are people just like us with egos and greed...the whole package.  This anti God business was and may well still be a popular stance and was certain to get you good will.  Now, with the outer edge of physics reaching points where scientific method doesn't work, the spiritual is creeping back, like it or not.
    Scientists are angling for high pay, prestige and power just like everybody else.  In fact I believe advance has been seriously hindered by the old men of the sciences who've built a career on one theory or another and refuse to consider new ideas, much less risk having their theory proven wrong. 
    It also helps, when reading this study or another, to find out who cut the checks.  The science will be slanted to the check cutter's preference.

1. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are so right my friend, they depend too much on what they can see under a microscope when there is SPIRITUALITY to contend with. God is a spirit and He is define with spiritual definitions which  scientist  omit in their equations of life.

11. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

The ultimate goal for most scientists is to find truth. There are always a few bad apples in any line of work and science is no different. For the most part they want the same as everyone else. Truth. If they were to find proof of no God no one would believe them anyway. They could show true Christians any number of pieces of proof and yet they would still believe that somehow God created that evidence for some reason. A test of faith or something.
    As for part two of your question, I really believe the world would be a better place if religion was taken out of the picture. Human discipline is provided by our common sense (brain), not by the bible. Most non believers live disciplined lives. I don't believe proof would change anything.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this
    2. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some things can be proven many others can't. Virgin mother, rising from the dead, holding 2 of every animal on a boat. The list goes on. To each his own.

3. IDONO profile image59

So if scientists ultimate goal is to find the truth, should I assume that they think that God is not the truth since they are still looking?

4. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

IDONO yes that is a good assumption. All the things I mentioned in my previous comment just don't make sense scientifically. Belief = faith, Science and faith together don't work well.

12. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

I would think neither. In disproving God, new doors would open for scientists to explore even deeper than before so it could hardly be the pinnacle. On the other hand, perhaps humans would become more disciplined since they couldn't just cast their worries into thin air and blame the heavens for not doing things for them. It could be just what makes humans more responsible for their actions.

This is no conclusion on my beliefs, just an answer to the question.

1. IDONO profile image59

I agree to a point. But isn't even the slightest fear of a judgment after death enough to keep you in some sort of line here on Earth?  Not a belief. Just conversation.

13. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 11 years ago

They are trying as hard as they could. But that which is not seen is more powerful than what is seen. Spirituality is an unseen force that is not understood nor included in scientific equations.So they go away with less knowledge to make decisions with.
    And the outcome of that is a lot of misinterpretations.
    They depend on what they can see under a microscope.But there is more knowledge in this world besides materialism and matter.

They run into a brick wall when they wonder why they predicted one to live for only 3 months...and that was 20 years ago. Or when there are supper natural occurrences and unexplained events that come to the table.

Except the Lord build the house they labor in vain that builded  it.

14. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

Absolutely not; I believe you are confusing science's thesis or train-of-thought, if you will, with something else, perhaps a fallen angel; now all industries have fallen angels if you will; therefore, assuming a normal distribution of souls (not IQs) is in the industry of science one can assume some misguided scientists may endeavor to try to disprove God perhaps to increase their value in a significant secular society...

15. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 11 years ago

The only thing that any man can do is discover, not create.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)