4 months to 2012 doomsday ~ Are you scared?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image61
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 11 years ago

4 months to 2012 doomsday ~ Are you scared?

I just turned 47 years old.  This won't be the first (and probably not the last) doomsday I've sen come and go.  I can still just barely remember eating the last of the y2k peanutbutter and drinking the last of the y2k water.

But now we're having all this crazy weather.  Hundreds of birds fall out of the sky dead.  Millions of fish wash up on the shore dead.  The bees have just disappeared into thin air.  Are these signs that this time it's really going to end?  Maybe, but if so, what can we do about it?

Live until you die.  Laugh until you cry.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

No. No man can predict the end of time. It has been predicted for centuries and it is still standing and will be on January 1, 2013. The big deal is the Mayan calender in which I wrote a Hub about. The Mayans even predicted things after this doomsday date.
    http://jthomp42.hubpages.com/hub/The-Mayans

1. whonunuwho profile image52
      whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes the Mayans made predictions about the time of the years centuries beyond this supposed end time turmoil we seem to be so concerned with. Some people like the excitement and others make money off the weakness of others. Some are too upset about it

3. micadeolu profile image49
    micadeoluposted 11 years ago

Write this don't for us to discuss in 2013 or eternity. There is not going to be any doomsday come 21st December, 2012. The only thing I know is that the world's system of things (ref: Jehovah Witnesses) will begin to change. For example this world's science will change to some form of divine education.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I do not know when the world will end. But there is nothing to worry about. If it ends, it ends. We will not be able to stop it, no need to pack and no need to run. I am not a betting man but I suspec the major hub discussion will be on Dec. 13th about that. We are in daner because the .yan calendar is different. I will add that in a few months you should start your Christmas shopping and plan your New Year's celebration. The world will be here.

1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image61
      Rhonda D Johnsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Larry Wall.  Funny you should mention December 13.  I just bought some chicken tenders this morning with an expiration date of 12/13.  So now we now something will end on that date.smile

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Was that a sell by date or a use by date. It is a sell by date, we still have a little more time.

3. Sarah Christina profile image69
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's actually December 20, the winter solstice. So the chicken will expire! lol

5. Eugene Hardy profile image60
    Eugene Hardyposted 11 years ago

Nope. 

Well, I'm a little scare.

What I'm scare of?

I guess it is the nature of the end(?)

Personally I don't think it a bad thing that the world ends.  You know the old saying: All good things must come to an end.  If we can not figure out the answers to our own collective survival then perhaps we do not deserve another hundred-thousand years.

Or, perhaps there is no end at all, that it could be just another much to do about nothing event in human history....

Or, that something truly miraculous and wonderful will happen, like everyone on the planet becomes enlightened and understands for once and for all why we exist.

Either way, find a good seat, pop the pop-corn and pass the Merlot, and bring this thing in right.

Good advice Eugene, and I hope most folks think like you.

6. JBrumett profile image59
    JBrumettposted 11 years ago

They just announced a third Hobbit movie with the Battle of Dol Guldur.  Even the universe is saying I want to see that.  =-P

7. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

No. Not afraid. If the world is going to end there is nothing I can do to change it. There are so many things in  my life that are happening that are of concern to me that worrying about something of that magnitude is not worth my time. Since my grandson and daughter are battling cancer and have been for many, many years, we learned a new attitude: don't miss today.
    Spending time trying to second guess the future would be to me essentially 'missing today.' All we have are these 24 hours. No one is guaranteed tomorrow.

8. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I'm 51, and I've seen at least a half a dozen end-of-the world prophecies come and go. They were popular just after Jesus lived, too. So hundreds have gone by with no end of the world - nuff said.

Are there deep changes in society and ecology, many of them indicating challenges that will last decades or centuries? Yes. Are there amazing things happening because the whole world is becoming more connected. Yes.

Let's keep growing to make a better, more loving human civilization and care for our Mother Earth.

A well put and appreciated answer by you SidKemp. Thank you!

9. whonunuwho profile image52
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

There is no reason to be concerned or scared by any means. The end to life, as we know it , could have come in the sixties with the Cuban Missile Crisis or at any time today or tomorrow. It is wise to be prepared and get right with God. We live as long as the good Lord wants us to on this earth and when it is time, He will call us all home. The signs in the environment and the climate extremes are all part of a cyclical part of our world. There are good times and poorer times. WE have to deal with them as we best can when we are faced with challenges. It is wrong to pollute the waters and the air and we are being so informed by the many signs in nature. Human beings have got to start planning for tomorrow instead of taking all they can from others every day, like many have. We can succeed and survive, we have all got to do our share and strive in the process. Y2K was such a farce and false proposition to hinder us all in 2000.

10. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

I want to meet it with a glass of wine in my hand, so someone please let me know once you've figured out what time of day it's going to happen.

11. Doc Snow profile image87
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

No, I'm not worried.  We've repeatedly heard from modern Mayas that the end of a cycle has no more ominous significance than the end of a regular old year--a new cycle simply starts.

And that means that there is not only not a *good* foundation for believing doom is coming in December, it means there is no foundation whatever for that belief.

I do worry about global warming--but that won't be the end of the world, either, even if we are foolish enough to let it get very, very bad.  Just a really stupid, self-destructive mistake by H. Sap.  The odds are overwhelming that even in the worst case, at least a few humans would manage to survive.  More likely, it'll cost a lot of unnecessary premature deaths, and a huge quasi-permanent economic loss, but a chastened, impoverished human civilization will soldier on somehow.

And who knows?  There's time still for us to smarten up and avoid the worst--as most companies and governments did with the Y2K bug.

Sure sounds like good advice to me,Doc Snow.

12. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I doubt so.

Even if it is end of the world, I will still be doing my daily chores. Enjoying every single moment with my family members.

We know life will always end some day, so no matter what day it is, we will face it as it comes. As for me, I am in search of enlightenment so that knowing about it can help ourselves not going through the cycle of birth and living in spiritual form.

13. Sarah Christina profile image69
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

All one can do is live life to the fullest until whatever is going to happen...happens. People should always be prepared for natural disasters or what not, because you never know when they will happen. I'm just going to pray, be prepared as I can for whatever the future holds (and for whenever that maybe be, in Dec 2012 or not). I'm going to try my best NOT to get caught up into the mass hysteria and hype that is abound. What is more likely coming, IMHO, is civil unrest. People should be more concerned about the state of this country more than what may or may not happen in December.

Additionally, I see many people referring to the inaccuracies of the calendar and therefore the date being wrong, and their points are moot. While it is true that our calendar is off, how they picked the date the Mayan's predicted on their calender has nothing to do with calendars at all, it has to do with astronomy (something the Mayans were quite good at), which is actually scientifically observable. There is a special alignment that occurs  in 2012 on the winter solstice that only happens once every 26,000 years. There is an article that explains the astronomy: http://www.ancient-world-mysteries.com/2012.html

The earth is overdue for a magnetic pole shift (according to science) and it is possible that such an alignment may affect the planet in such a way to cause this. But, once again, that is just one theory (amongst many) and isn't guaranteed.

I guess my point is, try to keep an open mind. But don't get hysterical. Whatever is going to happen is out of our control, and it may just be that nothing will happen for another 100 years or whenever. The past is gone, the future's yet to come, today is what's important to focus on.

14. inChristalone profile image60
    inChristaloneposted 11 years ago

I think there is always a fear of the unknown.  It is what keeps so many people locked up in themselves.  Fears of failure, success, relationships, lost relationships, and on and on and on the list goes.  The problem is that if you spend all of your time worrying about the future, then you will miss out on the present which will soon be your past. 
         The Bible puts it this way : 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?  28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:25-34

Master Oogway put it this way from Kung Fu Panda : "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

1. Sarah Christina profile image69
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes that's the quote I was trying to think of, that's awesome. Love that quote. The verse from the Bible that you quoted is very good as well, it's what I try to remind myself all the time.

15. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

It is all hype.   Scared?  Puh-leeze, I have better things to do, like live my life to its ultimate fullness and juiciness.    Thank you kindly!

16. bhaskardada profile image42
    bhaskardadaposted 11 years ago

These are all gimmick. The predictions are not based on any logic or science. So there is nothing to worry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)