Thought or memory is the origin?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (33 posts)
  1. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

According to you what is the origin thought process or memory power?

2. AlexanderP profile image60
    AlexanderPposted 11 years ago

kind of like chicken and egg. if i say thought, then memory comes in with "hey, i made it" or something. but if i say memory, then i have to wonder how it came about if not after some thought pattern, memory working, etc. but because i am a Christian and believe in a personal God, i'd have to say thought, since God's "thought"--this God thinking is new theological ground for me, so i am putting that in quotations--and thought would come before the word that God used to make the world.

dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your insightful reply.
      I kind of agree with you.

3. Gareth Pritchard profile image75
    Gareth Pritchardposted 11 years ago

My thought is that everything is in the past tenths, no matter how lightening fast we might think our thinking is, it is all still but a memory of the event, nothing really happens in real time, really.

I turn the light on, instantly I can see but the reality is that event happened before I realized it and the realization is only a memory of the realization, like a double take, happens, think, remember.

Thank you for your response.
      "Nothing really happens in real time"- hmmmm its needs to be thought more for me at least.

4. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 11 years ago

My thought is through memory of what I know or did. So, it will seem like memory will always be origin for me.

Thank you for your response here. Its nice to know your individualistic thought.

5. sroberts9 profile image80
    sroberts9posted 11 years ago

I believe that our thoughts are happening in our present and our memories are our thoughts that we have put into our subconscience after its been reviewed by the conscience.  Therefore, making them the second step in the thinking process.  The thoughts are stored in the subconscience (memory) in case we want to recall upon them at a later time.  My answer to your question would be thought as the originator as we have to think of a thought first before it can be filed away as memory.

1. profile image64
      in4mativeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apart from small details this sounds good to me. This must apply however early in a person's life.

2. dghbrh profile image81

Thank you for your response here.
      Again i agree with in4mative here.
      Both you have quite nice analysis for the question above.

6. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

Surviving ones environment tends to be the cause of conjured up thought, so this article attempts to answer such a question as to whether is thoughts originating first or that of the use of memory. read more

7. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 11 years ago

Thought is the origin. Thoughts are abstract while memories are tangible.
    Memories are tangible yes. There is temporary memory and permanent memory. The brain stores thoughts temporarily or permanently depending on their importance.

Thank you for your nice reply.

8. minso profile image59
    minsoposted 11 years ago

In my opinion, memory is an impression arising out of thought and so it is secondary. Thought is the creator and the beginner. I like what AlexanderP said about God's thought. It is said that it is God or Higher Intelligence's thought that created the worlds and holding it.

1. NiaLee profile image61
      NiaLeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanx for raising the bar I got lost in words an small or short vision adnd understanding. yes memory is a type of thought... thought started eerything and we can create a whole new world thanks to thought.

2. dghbrh profile image81

Thank you both @ minso and @ NiaLee for your kind response.
      Thought and memory ...you both are opting for thought. Nice reply.

9. Steppeno profile image67
    Steppenoposted 11 years ago

"I think... Therefore I am..." Thinking is a measure of our presence in the present time, when accompanied by our physical senses create memory. Retrieving these memories requires thought... but I don't believe a memory could be described as, "I thought... Therefore I was..." We are all basically a form of energy and can never truly go away. We may take on a different form, but we will exist forever on different plains. The real question is,"Will our thoughts and memories travel to those plains with us?".

Nice reply.
      Thought provoking again.
      Thank you for your kind response here.

10. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Neither.

The mind is like the eye. When the eye is working right, it sees shapes and colors, but does not make up anything. When the mind is working right, it perceives thoughts and does not create them.

For me, the origin is the vast openness of the present moment. It is like an ocean, from which thoughts arise naturally, but we do not create them. And memory is the memory of past views of the ocean.

Perceiving things as they are, I dance with life. Thought has very little to do with it, and memory is only useful to inform and guide, but not as a source.

But I see through mind, can travel though thought, can create happiness through thought during when even cry. So I don think thought can not be origin. Though thank you very much for your kind response here.

11. Thomas Swan profile image97
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

Thoughts determine which memories we hold onto, and memories determine which thoughts we entertain. It's a continual cycle of interaction.

Good reply.
      Thanks for responding.

12. NateB11 profile image90
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

Thought cannot occur without memory. Thought is the response of memory to current circumstances. Without thought, there is just direct perception.

Thank you for your response here.

13. juneaukid profile image72
    juneaukidposted 11 years ago

I would say both. Thought enhances memory and memory enchances thought like matter and energy are linked in a "relative" universe.

14. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

asked by dghbrh 7 hours ago
    flag

According to you what is the origin thought process or memory power?

No disrespect of intention, I see two questions. The first asks of the reader to decide a first intent. Stated differently for learning we have, "Which is the origin thought or memory?"

Clarity is offered by the seeker or the prompter with a second question. This clarity is presented as a question and not a statement and a riddle is proposed. The second question must be analyzed to to be answered. Only with reason can we arrive at the possibility of a solution. There we have a choice - inductive or deductive reasoning or both.

Keeping with brevity and enjoying the exercise, a hub I have not 'time' to write so offer this. Inductive creates a generalization from specifics where deductive takes from generalizations and arrives at a specific. Deductive is likened to the statement of 'if' A then B, otherwise C.

Speculating we may discover deductive offers opportunity for inductive. The two 'may' be thought of as synergistic, yet not of analogous. Or look first for Sir Francis Bacon and empericism, then Hume and skepticism, and then contrast with Rene Descartes and rationalism. While remembering the theory of chaos, since that is western thought and we have eastern thought to consider. The oddity is eastern did influence Hume, 'ponder.'

Again, we must first clarify the simple word of the second question of just whom is 'you?' That is the riddle and this must be answered to solve the riddle - what, where, why, when, and how of 'you.' (A comma is 'thought' by this author of an answer is hidden between origin and thought).

Next, the definitions are needed for thought process and memory power. Simplicity says thought as a process is to be contrasted and compared with memory as a power, although not a force.

Again, just stating what I see with the proposition of questioning seeking an answer I see with these two questions this:

1) Which originates thought or memory, yet of what is not stated I presumed creation, or creativity, yet that may be a canard, a fabrication, or a deductive thought.

2) You is presumed to be 'me' and there is much to discuss whom the 'self' is

3) Which is the origin a process or a power

4) Which is the origin thought or memory

5) For pondering is a simple fact, proven scientifically, shared in a hub written by this author is this, "thought's speed is only 3.1 MPH the pace of a simple walk.

Thank you for such a detailed thought process. Hope you will find some time to give a more detailed picture of the seed of thought with some pressure  in memory to come forward with some deductive and inductive brain analysis.
      waiting for sure....:-)

15. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

thoughts lay the ground work for memories and what we see, hear and perceive through our senses are retained, often without us realizing consciously, that we are doing this. What we think and do makes us who we are, and the more you think, in memory, you will retain and become a part of your everyday actions. Much like..we are what we eat, we are also, as we think.

Nice reply.
      Thank you for that.

16. alvairs profile image59
    alvairsposted 11 years ago

I think thought derives from an action and is placed in your subconscious that is retrieved from memory.

Sorry for a delayed response here.
      Thank you for your reply. Its much appreciated.

17. NiaLee profile image61
    NiaLeeposted 11 years ago

it depends on which thought somecome from memory, inspired. Now, like new neurones I believe new thought sprung.  actually we fal into some lind of egg and hen situation. we don't know which is forat because we copy and are trained... so memories can trigger every kind of thought throuagh nalysis, reflexion, reaction, opposition and more. Even how DNA remembers some thing... so memory seem to come from actions, words and events... so, inspirstion to thought to memory to thought and more.

1. NiaLee profile image61
      NiaLeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hI have no memory of writing that

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)