What is your impression of a new friend who says, "Let's not discuss our past."

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 11 years ago

What is your impression of a new friend who says, "Let's not discuss our past." ?

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image62
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 11 years ago

I don't know.  I would assume they have something they would rather not remember.  As the friendship grows things may change and the person will want to share, or things will just begin to come out.  Until then they do have a right to protect their privacy.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I don't see why it would matter unless you planned on being in a romantic relationship with the new friend. My past is horrible. While I am very comfortable writing about it I usually do not tell new friends for quite a while. Most of my Inlaws still know very little about my past. The only person who NEEDS to know the past is the person you plan on spending your future with. I'd leave it alone. In time when the friendship is fully developed and trust is earned what needs to come out will.

MsDoraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that with time, the person (especially if talkative) may expose his/her past without any questions being asked.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

After a while of getting to know them, I may think there is something they are trying to hide. On the other hand, Maybe their past is too hurtful for them to relive.

5. xanzacow profile image59
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

On a different note, if this is a romantic friend, they may not want to know YOUR past. Relationships in particular. There really is no need to discuss past relationships in any sort of detail. Some information may be important, but certainly not all of it.

6. Glasso profile image61
    Glassoposted 11 years ago

Everyone has parts from their past which they would like to forget. Past can hinder and/or stop our progress. People do not discuss their past with strangers or those whom they have just met. In my opinion, person who suggests do not discuss the past does not want the newly born friendship to be affected by the past of either parties. Moreover, to know someone's past at the beginning of the friendship can have a somewhat profound effect in some cases. As friendship growing stronger and stronger, you might learn more about the past. Nevertheless, when you do not know about person's past--your impression would not be clouded up with prejudice.

7. manatita44 profile image73
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

It may mean it's dark or would create insecurity. Viewed from a spiritual standpoint, it may not be useful.

We generally wish to tell others a little about ourselves and expect the person or persons to reciprocate. Still, we can be protective or feel guilt or find some things uncomfortable. All different names for the same thing: Insecurity.

In relationship to dating, it can sometimes mean that the person wishes to cover-up a particular situation, and is not too interested in a serious relationship.

Trying to help here. Not my forte. As to the spiritual, the past is not generally helpful and it is towards the Light and away from darkness, that one must move. Good luck.

8. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

To leave them alone and find a new friend. I'm not too interested in someones actions. So if they don't fill in the few questions I ask, they are gone so I don't have to worry about them being a friend.

9. BobMonger profile image61
    BobMongerposted 11 years ago

Do you hear the alarm bells ringing?! My first thought is, "Why not?"
    "Are they wanted by the police?"
    "Are they working for the police?"
    Whatever they have going on has an ulterior motive that can lead to no good.
    If this person is trying to act like they're a Christian to your face you should run away as fast as you can. A true Christian will confess their sins and hide nothing; our Lord hates secrets. Or like my grandma used to say, "A secret is just a lie waiting to happen."  And on a practical note, what kind of interpersonal relationship can you have with someone who has already made it known they aren't to be trusted?  This person will take whatever they can while giving back as little as possible; they have already told you so. I'd steer clear of this one, with friends like this you won't need enemies.

Bob, you ask really good questions and give us much to think about.

10. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

That's fine. Just focus on what you both enjoy discussing.

11. Mama Kim 8 profile image84
    Mama Kim 8posted 11 years ago

I would think they actually want the opposite. If they truly wanted to hide something they would simply avoid the subjects. Flat out saying that (this is a new friend as you said) to me means they're trying to peak an interest, give mystery.. ect. This is someone who likes attention and is maybe a little bit of a tease. If this was said in a very sad tone I would also think that they are hurting and they do need someone to talk to about it. They want to but not right at the moment, this person just needs to make sure they can feel safe talking to you then they'll spill everything and seek your counseling.... that would be my impression of the person. ^_^  Great question MsDora!!

Mama Kim.  Reverse psychology, Mama Kim?  Really interesting!

2. Mama Kim 8 profile image84
      Mama Kim 8posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Psychology was one of my favorite subjects in school ^_^

12. EyesStraightAhead profile image74
    EyesStraightAheadposted 11 years ago

I believe it is a person looking forward to the future who perhaps is done looking back and ready for what lies ahead. No shame in that.

Judging from your name, I guess this is part of your philosophy, and it is a good one.  True, no shame in that especially if the other person lives by the same principle.

13. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

There are a lot of very legitimate reasons a person wouldn't want to talk about (i.e., "dredge up" or "hang onto") the past.  Keeping some conversation limits in a new relationship is something a lot of people think it's the best way to give a new relationship time to develop - or fizzle out, in which case, a lot of "deep" talk that was wasted on a non-friend is avoided.   Too many people, maybe, tend to share too much way too soon (and it can color the relationship).

I think I'd be more concerned if the past wasn't the only thing the person wouldn't share.  Not that I meet all that many new friends these days, but what I tend to notice is whether someone seems to have some version of "roots"/connections to other people, or even pets.   It would depend on the age of the person and the relationship, but if I thought I might end up being close friends with someone I'd probably notice whether they seemed like they had those connections to important people in their life.  If it was an elderly widower/widow with no family left that would be one thing.  I'd be a little more concerned with someone younger who didn't want to talk about the past and never talked about/or spent time with people s/he was close to.

As for the no-talking-about-the-past thing (but having families and/or friends, etc.), I don't see that as a big deal.  A lot of people just think it's healthiest to keep the past in the past, unless/until there's reason to talk more about it.

You give me some points to think about.  Thanks.

14. Trish303 profile image72
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

That they are hiding something they do not want you know.

That's what I think, but look at what Lisa HW and some of the others say.

15. profile image58
    aknancyposted 11 years ago

I think he or she would rather start fresh due to the last relationship they had,past brings up more question and it just doesn't stop there, you would want  all the juicy details which in turn will stir up memories that might not be pleasant.

You're right.  What are juicy details for one could be sickening recall for another.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)