What are your best Christmas shopping tips?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 11 years ago

What are your best Christmas shopping tips?

2. LisaKoski profile image79
    LisaKoskiposted 11 years ago

The best tip I can think of is just to start early. I usually start around October just because I'd rather not do it all in one go while people are crowding out the stores. Plus it's a little easier to manage my budget that way.

3. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 11 years ago

Shop  on line when they are offering free shipping, have it delivered to the persons house then there is no issues.  I love amazon that is my favorite place to shop.  If you love to wrap then still order online when free shipping is offered.

4. melbelle profile image60
    melbelleposted 11 years ago

For the following Christmas, buy all your decorations and cards the day after Christmas when everything goes down drastically.  If you can plan a year ahead, buy some of your gifts for people the day after Christmas.  If you have birthdays coming up after Christmas, buy those too.   If you are crafty, make presents - people always seem to appreciate a quilted or crochet blanket, but for these items you need to start like now to have them done by Christmas.

5. JP993 profile image71
    JP993posted 11 years ago

I would say do it the day after. I know thats no good if you've got young kids but for the older people you got to buy for, I'd say hold out till boxing day.

Competition is far greater these days due to the internet so there is a massive slump in sales for businesses after christmas hence why they have to put on great deals and sales post christmas.

6. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Avoid crowds and shop from the comfort of your home.  I do ALL my Christmas shopping online. (Amazon, Overstock and Daedulous Books are some of my favorite sites.) I have limited mobility, so online shopping is really a "must" for me, but I think I'd do it at this stage of my life anyway. I remember how much I disliked the crush of holiday shopping in the days before I took it online.  Even when I began shopping early, it seemed that EVERYONE was shopping early--same crowds, same problems finding a parking space, same frustrations when I had to go from store to store looking for one particular item....Now all it takes is a mouse click!

7. B. A. Williams profile image61
    B. A. Williamsposted 11 years ago

Try to make more gifts than buy them since they mean so much more to people. Online seems always cheaper than the stores and saves gas in shopping.

8. jeffrin profile image59
    jeffrinposted 11 years ago

Christmas shopping is always been tricky task even if you have plenty of time & money. Avoid crowds. Shop online at your convenience with Ebay, Amazon or Overstock. Look for gift vouchers and coupons (I like couponsnapshot.com, christmascoupons.com, etc) Dont forget to look for Free shipping & Discounts.

I would also suggest off-line shopping but that to in off-peak hours like in noon time.

Plan in advance so that you dont forget anything.

Finally, indulge in sooper dinner and await for big day!

9. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

Being in Costa Rica makes my usual Christmas shopping habits difficult. Online shopping is becoming harder due to Customs stopping nearly all packages, especially if they are obviously coming from a business. It means for online to work we have to plan months ahead.

If you're in the States or some other modern country, online is great. I'm not a big fan of shopping in the malls or other shops at Christmas time, but I think if you don't do that at least once you are really missing out on the Christmas spirit (or maybe it's a fever). And there really is no online substitute for being able to handle the merchandise up close and personal.

So, I'd plan on a four-fold approach:
    1. Mostly online
    2. One or two trips at least to the shops
    3. Hit the after-season sales big-time, just hope you can remember where you put that stuff next year!
    4. Make at least one gift per family member yourself, these can make lifelong memories.

Gad, is it really almost that time of year again....

1. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and for handmade online things don't forget about Etsy.com

2. StandingJaguar profile image68
      StandingJaguarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Etsy is a great site! Even if you just want cute or custom cards. Good catch!

10. StandingJaguar profile image68
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

I sometimes pick up little things through out the year if I see something I know a family member or friend will like. You just have to remember that you did!

I have always gotten raves when sending "artisan" or "handmade" edible items too. Last year I picked up local jams and hot sauces, focusing on recipes that weren't common in stores, and my family loved them. For my friends I sent them artisan chocolates and candies, based on their preference (as you can imagine, this went over well!). Two years ago I sent out different chile and corn wreaths from Santa Fe (where I lived at the time) and those were a huge hit! They last for years, and my family loves the southwest. My family has also done Omaha steaks and burgers, cheeses, chocolates, hot chocolate mixes, etc... I say go for the food!!!

(p.s. I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind holiday crowds. I think it's kind of fun and festive to be out with lots of people doing the same thing! Plus there's pretty lights and music!)

11. miyagi714 profile image41
    miyagi714posted 11 years ago

Buy presents early! You never want to go last minute and have the item you want be sold out! That would be a horrible way to spend Christmas!

12. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

Lots of practical advice already listed and I don't know what else could be added to it.  I do like to shop early and to do it online because it is much easier, saves time and shipping costs.  Also, meaningful gifts can also be gifts of service and time.

13. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

There are so many great suggestions here! I always buy things throughout the year and put them away. The remaining shopping I do on line through the Cyber-Monday specials after Thanksgiving.

14. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

Set your budget and THEN shop. It's so easy to start looking first and then fall in love with those "perfect" gifts and go way over budget. Make a budget and then stick to it and you will find creative ways the get just the right gift for your friends and famiy...and you'll be able to enjoy Christmas more without the stress factor of over spending. And, from personal experience, that is not always as easy as I just made it sound.
    p.s. If you are buy something for me...disregard what I just said...the sky's the limit. smile

15. profile image53
    tigerthanaposted 11 years ago

There are so many great suggestions here! I always buy things throughout the year and put them away. The remaining shopping I do on line through the Cyber-Monday specials after Thanksgiving.

16. iefox5 profile image58
    iefox5posted 11 years ago

Buying the stuff you really need and want to buy. Buying online seems much more convenient than offline nowadays.

17. moonfairy profile image75
    moonfairyposted 11 years ago

My best tip would be to take the time and actually shop for the person that the gift is for, not for what YOU like. I can't tell you how many gifts I've received that were NOT me at all....but the giver thought that it was "so cute!". Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought very, very much but please don't buy me a doll that sings...I'm not going to know what to do with it, even if it's cute.lol!! I think that a gift is well received if it's something that's appropriate for them and their lifestyle.

18. profile image59
    ElleBeeposted 11 years ago

Budget, start early, and don't go crazy!! In a few years we'll remember the memories of Christmas more than the presents anyway smile

19. Cardia profile image74
    Cardiaposted 11 years ago

Start shopping from early!
    My mom actually had a great idea a few years ago - she has a large cardboard box, and throughout the year if she sees something that she thinks would be a good Christmas/birthday present for someone, she puts it in there. She also keeps a list (somewhere in the box) saying "x item for Christine, x item for Kathy" etc.
    So sometimes by the time November/December rolls around, my mom has practically finished, and would only need to look for gift wrap and bows or last minute presents smile

20. Efficient Admin profile image84
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

We can all save a lot of money by shopping right after Christmas at the sales, and also look for bargains throughout the entire year.  Not paying full price we all can save a ton of money.  Pay with cash only.  Save up cash first if necessary so there will be no stressful credit card bills arriving in January.

Right after Christmas all the wrapping paper and bows and ribbon goes on sale and you can stock up for real cheap.  Also when online shopping throughout the year there are stores that offer sales and discounts as well, so you will save money there too. 

That way when it's 2 weeks before Christmas you won't have to fight for a parking spot or fight the crowds.  Just sit at home in your warm slippers and sip some cocoa.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)