Are you really happy or make people think you are?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Atiquemr9 profile image43
    Atiquemr9posted 11 years ago

Are you really happy or make people think you are?

2. grinnin1 profile image69
    grinnin1posted 11 years ago

I was thinking about this the other day, I think a lot of the mistakes I made in my 20's were due to the fact that I didn't know what made me happy, I wasn't in tune with myself, but instead of sharing that with others, talking things over, and questioning my decisions, I wore a smile as a sort of mask - to convince myself and others that I was happy. Good questions-

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

To ask a question like this, one has to be very philosophycal. Well, when I face this question I can never be sure. Why? Because every time that I look that question square in the face there's always something going on in my life that keeps me back from appreciating my life to the fullest.

But one thing is for sure, I never make people think I'm happy. Now that I stare that question in the face (once more) I must honestly say that I am happy for all the good (like having the opportunity to write here) and invaluable things in my life (like my family). Thank you for asking and making us take a good look at all that we should be happy & grateful for.

How about you?

4. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

I am happy, to pretend I am happy is something I cannot do because  I don't think I am good in pretending.  It's not important for other people to know that you are happy, the important thing is you are really happy even if some people around you assumed that you are not.   You know happiness is something unique to every individual. for example, some married people think a single person is missing something in his life and that he is very lonely.... do you agree? A single person does not need to be sad but peer pressures and reaction of people around her is what really making her sad...

5. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

For me, there are two types of happiness.

Unconditional happiness comes with having a connection to Spirit or God or the Light or the Divine, however we define that. I am able to feel peace at all times, regardless of circumstances. Practicing gratitude connects me to that feeling that is always within me, and, I think, within all of us. Sometimes, it's buried pretty deep.

Conditional happiness is natural and arises when we are happy about something. But, as everything changes, it cannot last. A colleague does a good piece of work, and I am happy. He makes a mistake, and my natural reaction is anger. At those moments, I do what I can to let go of the anger (or guilt or sadness), and return to the inner peace of unconditional happiness.

I've never tried to make people think I was happy when I wasn't. I guess I'm really hung up on being authentic!

6. John Sarkis profile image81
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

This question poses two sides: to whom are you referring to?  If you love your family and friends, then you should always try your very best to accommodate and make them happy and be happy yourself in the process.  If you're at work, then it's probably best to at least show some contentment, even amongst those whom you might towards feel otherwise, because, it's hard to find work nowadays.  Additionally, I've seeing people hired others who were underqualified over qualified individuals simply because of their perky and positive attitude....

7. vtwilli profile image80
    vtwilliposted 11 years ago

That is a hard question to answer. I think that people believe that happiness is constant state and it is not. There are so many things that effect happiness, old memories, current crisis, relationships, disappointments, the list goes on and on. I think the correct question is "whether or not a person is happy at the present time". I can be happy right now and an hour from now I may fall into thought and not be

i THINK THAT i WILL MAKE THIS A HUB i LIKE THE QUESTION IT FORCES ONE TO THINK DEEPLY

8. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I think it depends on what our meaning of happy is. Doing something special and out of the ordinary especially with family and friends makes me happy. Memories of such things can be recalled to make happiness last longer, but contentment in every day life as we live it is what happy means to me. If I can get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other without pain and be able to maintain a full time job and keep up with household duties at home I should be content. This should make me happy. It often does, but mostly it makes me thankful. Perhaps happy really is being thankful. I do let people know I'm thankful and I mean every word. I don't always let people see my sad or unhappy side. So, yes, I tend to make people think I'm happy when I have something else going on in my mind.

9. moiponetsoka profile image64
    moiponetsokaposted 11 years ago

I make people think I am happy. I don't people to pity me because of my struggle with depression.

1. grinnin1 profile image69
      grinnin1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean, but you need at least a couple of people that "get" you and know who you are inside. Depressed people tend to try to do it on their own and it doesn't work. Believe me! Be honest and people may surprise you-

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too know what you mean. I have a friend (27) that has been struggling with depression the past 3 years. And her fear of being discovered and thought ill of caused even more anxiety. Those who matter will understand. Be patient and it'll be OK.

10. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I am happy about the things that are good in my life, my wife, my son, my dogs, my home, my faith. I am disappointed that I am unemployed, have some minor health issues and do not decent health insurance. The things that I am happy about are the important things. The things that I am disappointed about are things that are really of no one else's concerns and thing I have to work on to make better. That fact that I have the ability to make some improvements, also makes me happy. So despite some challenges in life, I am a happy person. I am not a person who bubbles over with enthusiasm, or assume that everything will work out for the best. I am a realist. I know there are problems in the world and my life that are not perfect. But I am happy for what I have.

11. g-girl11 profile image78
    g-girl11posted 11 years ago

I like this question because it made me realize that yes, I am happy.  However, there are times when maybe something is on my mind or upsetting me, but I can cover my feelings with a smile in order to go about my day. This question also made me think about how we never truly know what is in someone's heart--they may appear happy but not be.  Very interesting topic.

12. EuroCafeAuLait profile image81
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years ago

I sometimes get in over my head with work and obligations, but generally speaking, I am happy and satisfied with my life.  I consider it important to start the day with a smile because I want to encourage others to keep trying.  Whether they see me as happy or not, I don't know.  Of course I feel good when I see them return my smile or get some kind of energy from the determination to move forward, ever forward.

13. sherrituck profile image80
    sherrituckposted 11 years ago

This is a great question.  Even when I am not happy, I go the extra mile to make people think that I am happy.  Our society conditions us to act this way.  We are socialized to be polite and cheerful even with we are dying inside.  Only in certain situations are we allowed to remove the mask.

14. dzephaniah profile image59
    dzephaniahposted 11 years ago

True happiness doesn't depend on anything. I am happy all the time, because I have an authentic happiness. Only few people possess authentic happiness. Most of the people are happy sometimes, because of material items or certain happy moments. The rest of the time they are unhappy. They just learned how to pretend.

True happiness and love are connected. If you are unhappy, you can't truly love, because you will have an artificial love, which is dependent upon the circumstances, or material things.
    Love, happiness and peace of mind, are all connected, and they are a result of a true faith. People, who have no true faith, can never have happiness. It all has to do with the upbringing.
    The only reason that the adult grew up unhappy, is because of the bad upbringing. If a child doesn't have a complete respect, love and faith in their parents, they can't have faith in God either. Once you lose faith, you lose happiness. No psychological mambo jumbo will ever change that.

15. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

Someone recently asked me what I would change if I had my life to live over again - I said "absolutely nothing. I made it to here and I am comfortable in my own skin. I learned long ago happiness is a choice - I choose to be happy. My life has been an adventure -- let the adventure continue."

To give you a bit of a perspective - I am 56, starting over with NO assets.. I mean that - NO ASSETS. There are many other things (family and private) that could easily be seen as reason to not be happy.... but I totally MEAN what i said above.

Let the adventure continue!  Life itself is beautiful..... and this unending moment we share "IS life!"  ...... carry on!!!

16. breathe2travel profile image73
    breathe2travelposted 11 years ago

Most days I am really happy.  But I don't like to advertise the down days -- I don't wish to receive pity nor do I desire to bring down others.  I try to find a silver lining in a situation and focus on that.  So, even if I'm in a fight with my husband, facebook will say, "So glad my hubby loves his family," bc I know he does.

17. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yes. I am happy with my family. I am happy to have my wife who shares my joy. It depends on what you are looking for. I am a simple person. I am happy to help people around me. Seeing the joy in their expressions makes me happy.

Happiness is what you seek to have. Being a simple person, I treasure what I have and the people around me. Helping people within my means makes me happy.

18. bhargvi sharma profile image35
    bhargvi sharmaposted 11 years ago

Nops not really i'm happy but i can pretend to be happy as i don't want people sympathizing me about my reason of being sad... So many times i pretend to be happy... smile

1. Atiquemr9 profile image43
      Atiquemr9posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are moments coming across in your life in a way you can never explain yourself. sometimes you may fell sad or feel like nurturing it for reasons unknown to you as was experienced by Antonio in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)