What is the best way to sit?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

What is the best way to sit?

I have bad posture. It is mainly felt in my neck which causes horrible pain, head aches, dizziness and possibly acid reflux. I sit on the floor ALOT! I sculpt miniatures and work with jewelry and I find it easier to sit on the floor than at a desk. So... Which is the best way for me to sit? I am aiming to correct my posture.

2. alphagirl profile image77
    alphagirlposted 11 years ago

It sounds like you have a pinched nerve in the spine bone of neck. It could be that you are so hunched over to see the details of the work you do. I would invest in a magnifier light. You can see things close up and have better light. I would learn some yoga stretches. Perhaps you also have weak stomach muscles and lack the very support you need. Look into seeing a chiropractor to see if your spine is out of alignment. Invest in a chair and table that allows you to sit with your feet planted on the floor and work at a good height. Most desk heights are 30" and most chairs are 18" ht. I would do upper back stretches every hour so as to help with posture, try not to sit with curl shoulders going forward. Good Luck.

3. padmendra profile image48
    padmendraposted 11 years ago

I think following tips will help you to solve your problem:
    a) Always keep your head up when you are talking to someone.
    b) Your sitting position in the chair should be as such that there is some space between legs. Also ensure that ylour entire body weight is distributed equally on both of your hips.
    c) You can also correct your posture while practicing before a mirror.
    d) While sitting on a chair there should be no stress on the shoulders and instead you should sit in a relaxed mood keeping your shoulders stress free but firm.
    e)While walking on a road, floor or in a room always move slowly taking firm steps and raising your head up and straight.
    f)Avoid sleeping on stomach.
    g)Avoid sleeping on your sides with knees drawn up to your chest.
    h)While driving you need to take a back support making sure that enough space is there for your legs to move.
    Adopting these tips would help you correcting your posture.

4. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

Stand when working, then take frequent breaks sitting in a high backed chair with your bottom all the way to the back of the chair and you back completely against the back of the chair.  Acid reflux, totally different issue, change you diet, cut down on coffee and carbonated stuff.  Check with your doc to make sure you don't have and ulcer, ask about getting something for it.  Protonix, aciphex, nexiuim, and dexilant work well if the doc indicates reflux is an issue, doc needs to issue script for these products.  Exercise or at least do stretches, a chiropractor can help you with this.

5. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

The most comfortable would be the half lotus position.
    I am sorry about your pain....did you ask your doctor if you could wear a neck brace?
    Also, you could use the old cold compress ice holder to put on your head to keep it aligned.
    A hug

6. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

For more in-depth information on posture, you might try researching the "Alexander method."  It's been around for decades--Aldous Huxley was a practitioner, if memory serves me--and is well-regarded.  It would also be a good idea, as others here have already suggested, to have a check-up to ensure that there is nothing else but posture behind your headaches.

7. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 11 years ago

You shouldn't lounge when sitting also don't sit more in an upright position the spine is not really straight towards the bottom but slightly curved so if you try sitting in a upright position it would be uncomfortable.

8. grinnin1 profile image68
    grinnin1posted 11 years ago

No position is going to feel good at first because you are out of alignment one way or another, but the best way to sit is on top of your "sitting bones", the bones that touch the ground when in the cross legged position. From there, it's best to pull your abs in and lift up through the top of your head like there is a string pulling you from the top.(remember I said this wouldn't be "comfy" at first...)
    I'm an artist too and I have to work standing and sitting because I get too screwed up sitting all the time. Especially on the floor. If you can get a table high enough to work on so that your not slouched, and experiment with stiff pillows, books, whatever you have to support your lower back. When my back is bad(which generally ends up in a headache for me too) I use an ice pack on my lower back and sit into it. Alternate that and heat. Moving your pelvic area and hips around as you sit also relieves tension . Tip the pelvis forward, back, and rotate it side to side. The most important thing is to move your positions regularly. Get up, stretch, try different positions, and move as your sitting. Good luck!

9. Mr. Happy profile image68
    Mr. Happyposted 11 years ago

You should definitely check-out the Alexander Technique. Here is a video I found that is pretty good in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZzP5kR3 … re=related

All the best!

10. skgrao profile image67
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

Get in touch with your nearest center of The Art of Living and enroll for a training course in Sudarshan Kriya all your problems will end after you start practicing the system taught to you by 48 days.
    www.theartofliving.com

11. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 11 years ago

I also sit on the floor a lot or on top of my bed. I don't like to sit at a desk.
    Maybe you should use from time to time a ball (it would help you to correct your posture). Sitting on the floor with crossed legs in front of you, might be good for a change. Try to keep your back straight, if possible.

Previously, I had sometimes problems with pain in my neck and shoulders. I found help exercising for thirty minutes daily. Maybe yoga could be helpful for you. Find a yoga teacher near you or try some exercises from my yoga hub (circles with your shoulder, or shoulders towards the ears, or position from image 001, 002B, 002D, great stuff is also 005 and 006, and just for fun 009 - however be careful with any exercises when you have acute pain! When any movement is painful, don't force and don't repeat this movement).

Is it possible that not necessary your sitting is wrong, maybe your sleeping position is not the right one for you? Maybe your pillow isn't OK anymore???

And last idea, sometimes pain in the neck, back and shoulders indicates stress, maybe there is a conflict between your work tasks and your own values??? Being depressive or anxious maybe also connected with this sort of pain.

Or just maybe you'll find somebody who would give you great massages every few days...

1. Donna Suthard profile image61
      Donna Suthardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest that you have a through medical evaluation.. and try relaxing with beautiful music, and meditation....

12. gail641 profile image68
    gail641posted 11 years ago

It might help to keep your back straight when sitting-to keep the spine in good alilgnment. Researching on the web is a great idea. Chairs with backs are good for supporting your back.

13. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I teach this regularly in my meditation and qi gong classes. We build good posture from the bottom up.

The most important basic elements of sitting are:

Hips higher than knees, so the thigh bones are angled down.
    This allows the sacrum to be vertical, like the head of a spear stuck upright in the earth.
    This allows the lower vertebra (below the ribs, behind the belly) to be straight up and solid, like the shaft of a spear.
    The vertebra of the chest (ribs) rise in a gentle curve. Above that, the next rises in another gentle curve.
    The shoulders are spread wide, neither hunched, nor pushed back.
    Every few minutes of work, we return to a symmetrical posture, close the mouth, breathe through the nose, half-close the eyes, and restore symmetry and balance.

A low desk or box right in front of you for close-up work, even if more is spread around you, is a good idea.

the legs can be in any comfortable posture - either cross-legged, or, if you are flexible enough or get a seiza bench, tucked under you.

14. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6827207_f260.jpg

This is from a movement teacher.

When you are in pain caused by poor posture, only you can get rid of the pain. If you wait and ignore it, it will get worse. You can get better without pharmaceuticals.

When uncomfortable, take a break. Make some space for your body. Lie on your back on the floor and improvise slow body movements that take advantage of gravity. Breathe!

People have given you many good suggestions here. Try to find your full height and your balance again in your body by joining a Yoga class.

I wrote this more detailed Hub on the subject:

Ergonomics & Comfort At Work - How To Re-design Your Workstation - Low Sitting Desk
    http://sue-adams.hubpages.com/hub/re-de … rk-station

Once you get to know your body and begin to feel better you will want to change the habits that have caused your discomfort.

Whatever your work involves, follow these 3 tips:

1. Your back is, as mentioned, resting on your sitting bones and balanced.
    2. Your neck is long at the back. Means keep your chin down. For this to happen naturally, the object of your work is at a eye level.
    3. Your busy hands need a surface for your fore-arms to sometimes  rest and allow the shoulders to relax.

I also made a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n25DxLe7VKw

Good luck with your recovery,

Sue

15. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7169821_f260.jpg

There are many good ideas. Consider getting an ergonomic kneeling posture chair such as the one pictured below. It would be a fast way to get some relief and then you could also try some of the strategies mentioned by others. Best ~ fitmom

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)