Waffling On Health Care Reform

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Georgiakevin profile image60
    Georgiakevinposted 14 years ago

I am so angry I could spit! I am seeing waffling on both side of the political spectrum on health care reform.Some people are saying our health care is the best in the world and doesn't need to be changed,others are wanting to add unreasonable and unworkable proposals to health care reform. meanwhile many doctors are saying the solution is to stop or eliminate lawsuits against doctor's mistakes.

On Saturday I had my car washed by a group of people who are trying to collect enough money to pay for brain surgery for a student I taught while doing hospital home bound when she was pregnant with her first child. Our community is putting on car washes, yard sales and whatever else they can do to help get her money she so desperately needs for life saving brain surgery. Her husband works but his employer cannot afford to offer health insurance.

When she was first experiencing problems when she was pregnant with her first child,she was misdiagnosed as being epileptic. Even if her husband could get insurance now that she has a preexisting condition she is uninsurable. Misdiagnosis happens frequently as does surgery in the wrong place. When I went in to knee surgery the nurse wrote on my knee which knee was to be operated on. When my wife had surgery on her knee they gave her a local. She had to yell at them that they were beginning to operate on the wrong knee.

The small business that employs her husband feels badly because they cannot provide insurance for their four employees. The cost of insurance would bankrupt the company.

Meanwhile this once vibrant young woman is now to ill to even hold her children and becomes sicker and weaker by the day. Her doctor says her body is strong enough to do well with brain surgery but he is not sure for how long.

The argument is that a  small number of people are without insurance/medical care. What if this small number included your child, your relative or your friend. This girl is only 20. When she dies as a society we are all responsible.

1. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How much money did you give them? A weeks pay? A month?

2. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

De-Nile is not just a river in Egypt...

Georgiakevinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the comment! True but sadly with health care reform a river runs through it!

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not necessarily disputing your point; but I've been under the impression that people who need life-saving treatment get medical care, whether or not they have insurance; based on laws that require they be treated.  Is this incorrect?

Also, I was under the impression that hospitals may offer arrangements/options (beyond just something like setting up a payment plan) that they can sometimes offer patients who have no insurance.  Maybe this was only related to childbirth, but when I had one of my babies there was a hospital pamphlet that mentioned "options" for people who had no insurance.  I had insurance so didn't pay much attention; but it looked like they offered the names of some kind of agencies or companies.  Am I wrong about these things?  (I'm aware that there's a really good chance I am; so, again, this post isn't intended to dispute what you said - just asking.)

I'm not assuming people haven't already looked into options, but I thought I'd post link for anyone who may be interested:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MLT/conte … alth_plans

I cannot say for other areas but in central Georgia that is not the case. Our local hospital will turn you away if you do not have insurance.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Under the Impression.....This is the biggest mistake one can make!!!
        Those against Health Care Reform scream that everyone can get treatment. No One gets turned away! BullSh_T!
        It is all lies to save money for the Insurance Industry. Save money for the Pharmaceutical Industries. Save money for the Medical Industry! Pull the blinders over the eyes of the sheep that follow them.

A company I worked for for a decade dropped insurance to save cost to THEM. I had to go to an emergency room because it was a Sunday and no doctor office is open on Sunday. I was told if I couldn't pay I would not receive treatment. I was told to go to my doctor the next day. I went to several places, driven by a friend.....all I needed was an allergy shot!!! (I am  very highly allergic to wasp, it can kill me, almost did once before. It was obvious by the time I got a "nurse" to take an interest that this time I was lucky and would not die from the sting). She told me that that she would give me the shot, but then I got a bill for over $500.00 the next week.

FACT people. Wake up. This happens everyday. You may not want to believe this, but it does happen. I have been there. I know people who have been there. The Law does not protect the people who need medical care.
        It is covered up to push the agenda of the Industry. Protect those in office that need the "Donations" to get re-elected. If Health Care in America is not changed....it will get worse. It is about Business. In business you "cut" what causes loss of profits. What...I mean Who will be cut next to protect the business end of healthcare?

You don't worry about it because you have health coverage by your job or by your spouse's job. You are lucky enough to have a job that pays enough to afford the coverage. Wait till you have a family member die because they couldn't afford a treatment. Wait till this happen to you. What will you say then?

And this is not directed at the person I quoted, but at the general thought of people who are under the impression that everyone gets medical treatment and unbelievably think no change is needed!

2. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many hospitals do not accept anyone that is uninsured.  Often you have to spend hours on the phone calling, and calling just to find one that will take you.

2. Georgiakevin profile image60
  4. mayhmong profile image76
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

Awww, just wanna give that girl a hug. Its ridiculous having to raise money for something that may not even succeed?!

It was my privilege to teach her. I teach her brother in law who is in my life skills special education class. The world will be a better place if she survives.

It was my privilege to teach her. I teach her brother in law who is in my life skills special education class. The world will be a better place if she survives.

3. Georgiakevin profile image60

This will succeed but not if they wait even six months. I visited with her Saturday. She is not the girl I taught. Her eyes still sparkle but the rest of her is so weak!

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do they have something set up online?  A place to donate $$?  Poor girl...20 is so young...

Not yet but what a good idea!

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I see these kinds of fundraisers all the time for patients who cannot afford it in this part of the country.  This isn't unusual.  The bills for these kinds of illnesses are astronomical.

Even if the hospital offers 'options,' the family will be saddled with perhaps tens of thousands of dollars or more...more likely, 'more.'  'Options' usually means pay off your medical/hospital bill in small increments for as long as it takes...maybe for 15 years.

No.  This is not humane.  Is it?

No, Not even close. Society is only as strong as it's weakest link.

6. Lisa HW profile image61

Aside from the humane question, giving care to the uninsured is one reason health care costs are high.  I don't think the fundraisers are a bad idea, even with insurance; because I know there are all kinds of unexpected financial needs that arise from serious illness.  It should go without saying, though, that fundraisers shouldn't be the only hope of paying for brain surgery.  I really did think, though, that the law requires hospitals to treat people.  I know states have their own laws; and maybe this is a lie; but in the health-care debate people keep saying, "The law requires....." as if that applies to the whole country.

Apparently the law only refers to immediate life threatening condition not life threatening that is not immediate (lke with in 24 hours).

Generally, you are welcome to sit in the ER until they get around to you. Most normal people don't milk the system to that extent, but there is a subculture that will wait for hours because it's free and they have a sniffle. Some of them have the temerity to complain about the wait.

7. Lisa HW profile image61

http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=171

Apparently, when it happens (and I'm not questioning that it happens) it is a violation of Federal law.

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From that article:

As far as I'm concerned, this is just one more reason we need a public health insurance plan. With a public plan, fewer people would be uninsured in the first place, so hospitals would have less excuse for dumping patients.

Re: GeorgeKevin's student, I would imagine that in her case the surgery isn't considered to fall under the category of "emergency" medical treatment, which I think is generally considered stuff like broken legs and sudden heart attacks. Somebody in the medical field can correct me if I'm mistaken.

You are absolutely right sadly enough.

If that is a fact then a lot of hospitals/ doctors violate federal laws in this part of Georgia.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

In the past my medical bills have given me cause to want Jack Kevorkian to visit me. I am in debt perpetually and have good health insurance plus Medicare. Still I owe thousands. I no sooner get caught up with it and boom! here comes another one. We need something good to happen once.

It took us over 10 years to recover financially from my back injuries and it took us 8 years to recover from my wife's thyroid cancer so I can appreciate what you say.

9. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I hope things start looking up.  I have no insurance now and I do not work.  I cannot even afford the cheap low cost insurance they have around here.  I get so sick of this kind of stuff.  If I was rich, I would be helping people like that who are poor.  Whenever I see stuff like this going on and people cannot step in to help with finacial issues, it makes my skin crawl.  That is ok though, I know that those people will also run into problems one day and no one will be there to help them.  I would think that people would do for others like they would have done for them, this is not the case I guess.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you ask any rich person for help? How in the World they are supposed to know that you are struggling?

1. profile image0
        annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you referring to me?  I haven't asked a rich person to help me.  If I even knew one I would ask.  There are no rich people around here.

How much is the cheap low-cost insurance they have around there?

I'm just curious and I'm not being judgmental, but exactly what would you ask the rich person to do?

1. profile image0

I called the cheap place around here and it was like you have to pay $40 to walk in the door.  Heck, a little more and I could go to a regular doctor for a visit.

I was not referring to me about asking a rich person.  I was saying that I wish a rich person would step in for cases like someone needing surgery and help and stuff.  I was not actually referring to myself.

If I needed help with surgery and knew of rich person I don't know that I actually would ask them, but I think they should be more willing to help the poor than they are.

I see. You deserve much credit for picking up and moving just to help a family member in need. That's a huge deal.

1. profile image0

Yeah a huge deal is putting it lightly.  I had an apartment and a job and after I moved, the economy fell to pieces.  Now we are struggling with medical bills and stuff.  Hopefully things will pick up soon. 
                I wonder what is going to happen if all these peoples unemployment runs out and there are no jobs.  That is frightening.

2. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then use Internet to find one and ask. You might need to try more then one, but if you don't try, you don't get any help. Nobody knows you need it. smile

2. nicomp profile image62

Why aren't you working?

That is easily answered with a quick look on her profile.

No. It says "looking for work".

No. It says she moved to a new area to care for an injured family member and is now looking for work.

What part of that is hard for you to understand?

It was nice trying to talk to you.

Dude, I'm just saying. It's a rude question, for starters, and the information really was right there on her profile. There was no reason for you to disagree with me about that unless you just wanted to be an asshole about it.

Which you probably did. tongue My Republican brother-in-law likes to ask that question to people's faces so he can divide humanity into two groups: fine upstanding citizens like him and the useless parasites who prey on them. roll

2. profile image0

I have been taking care of family members.  I am looking for work right now.  Not much luck here for work.  I lived here about five years ago and moved away when I couldn't find a job.  I had to move in an emergency situation.  Hopefully I will find work soon.  I do as much as possible online to make a few bucks here and there.

10. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Maybe you can call the news and make a story out of it for donations?

11. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My Uncle had aggressive prostrate cancer.  He went to the Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN & they have been treating him for close to 10 years.  They tell him to pay what he can & if he cannot pay anything some months - its okay.  He has received amazing care there.

In Minnesota, there is health insurance for those who work & can not get medical benefits through their employer.  My friend uses this and it is a minimal cost for her & her two children.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this should be handled at the State level, federal laws preventing out of State commerce concerning insurance should be lifted and States can implement their own plans!

2. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What? But I thought America hated the poor and wanted them to get sick and die? How could this be?

12. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

It might depend on just exactly how rich the rich person really was, don't you think?

That would probably be my next question. I don't know how to judge a person's wealth without getting to know them rather well. They could be mortgaged to their eyeballs or they could be floating in cash while living in a hovel.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)