History repeats itself - do you believe?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. dghbrh profile image79
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

History repeats itself - do you believe?

Anything that happened to you ever that you want to believe it?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

It does..sometimes over a span of hundreds, even thousands of years....the earth remains...and so when the Buddha awakened, he said thus "The earth is my witness.."

dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your prompt reply here.
      Any personal experiences so far?

2. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid the only answer I can give is a quotation from my favorite book, Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
      We can start working with time, if you wish, till you can fly the past and the future. And then you will be ready to begin the most difficult, t

3. dghbrh profile image79

Thank you...never mind. Its precious the way you can relate to the things you go through...keep it up.

3. steveso profile image76
    stevesoposted 11 years ago

Yes I do believe history repeats itself. If a person, group or country does not learn by their mistakes they are doomed to repeat them. Throughout the entire history of mankind humans have not learned by their mistakes. That is why history is punctuated by so many wars and conflicts.

Thank you for your reply here. Its indeed true.

4. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

Yes, I think it does and often. I remember my old Gran saying 'what you give out, comes back again'. I think this saying is not just true for individual people but for society and countries as well. I honestly can't think of a really good example at this moment in time that has affected me personally, but if I do I'll come back and let you know.

Great question!

Thanks you.

I am waiting and many thanks again for responding here.

5. viveresperando profile image64
    viveresperandoposted 11 years ago

Yes, because we all develop and grow in different stages and of course new generations are always learning, growing, trying things differently which of course has already been done and tried by generations before.  I see my children 17 and 18 doing things that I did as a teenager, hence technically history is repeating itself, but not with the same individuals.

Very nice reply and I agree completely.

6. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

We love our self-delusion that we are making progress. Human nature is a constant, though. It hasn't changed from the dawn of history. Only the tools we have available and the details of our circumstance change, and those are cyclic.

It is for that reason that history repeats itself whether or not we believe we have learned from it. History is not the story of the Earth, it is the story of mankind, and his behavior is constantly repeating itself.

1. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow...indeed..

2. dghbrh profile image79

Thanks for the insightful reply.
      Have a good day ahead.
      Thank you @msorensson for your view here too.

7. unvrso profile image83
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

Most of the times, history has shown that the history of humanity is a repetition of all kinds of pervertions inherent to human nature.

For this reason, human history is permeated with a bunch of atrocities, including  war, killing, racism, among many others.

Thanks for responding here.
      have a great day ahead.

8. faisalb87 profile image40
    faisalb87posted 11 years ago

Yes I do believe that history repeats itself sometimes....

Thanks and its nice to know your view here.

9. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Yes, history repeats itself, especially if people are blind to history and to what is going on in front of them.

What makes it particularly difficult in America is that the Corporate Party runs the media and they slant it to overlook what is really happening and distract people with divisive issues that have little value.

Germany 80 years ago saw the rise of Hitler and his thugs. It started out with a lie called the Reichstag fire -- a "false flag" operation where Hitler's thugs burned down their parliament building and blamed it on a convenient patsy -- communists. They then threw out their Constitution and its liberties all in the name of Homeland Security and then went to war to bolster the Homeland's economy and sense of patriotism.

In America, we've had our Reichstag fire and blamed on the convenient patsies -- Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden. Bin Laden would loved to have taken credit for something that juicy, but he said he had nothing to do with it. 9/11 was an inside job by the government and/or corporate America.

Proof? Several tons of iron microspheres (previously molten) in the 9/11 concrete dust. These could only have come from controlled demolition. And controlled demolition takes weeks or months of preparation in 3 such highly secure buildings with tenants like the CIA. And that's only the tip of the iceberg of scientific proof of government wrongdoing. And the government committed a felony by destroying the crime scene evidence before the investigation even began 400+ days later!

Almost immediately, legislation that had been written months earlier was put into practice effectively destroying the American Constitution.

And then we went to war based upon more lies -- no WMDs, but Bush made jokes about this lie while our soldiers continued to die because of his treason.

History repeat itself?

I hate to think what happens next. We already have concentration camps being built in America. Some of them look pretty nice, considering. Swing sets for the kiddies, but two 20-foot high perimeter fences topped with razor wire.

Welcome to Hitler 2.0. Sieg heil.

And don't blame it on Obama or Bush. Both work for the Corporate Party, and they control both parties.

So, I'm voting for Gary Johnson, Libertarian -- 2-term governor of New Mexico, who left his state with a billion dollar surplus.

Very detailed reply and many thanks for responding here. I hope people to become little  more aware for the positivist and thus welcoming more strong and bright present so make a nice history for next gen.Many thanks to you.

10. shara63 profile image59
    shara63posted 11 years ago

A big Yesss! ....and i've mentioned this in my latest poem " The spinning Wheel of time"  precisely!

Yeah ....and thanks for your view here.

11. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Well I don't know if this would count as history repeating itself but my husband and I experienced something rather interesting and unusual. You see my dad had to leave Latvia during WWII and my husband's father stayed and lived through the occupation. Anyway my dad had this special pocket knife he always carried about and when I came to Riga I brought it back so to say. My husband's father also had a special pocket knife he always used and now that both our dad are gone we have the knives. And imagine our surprise when we saw that they were identical. Both bought in Riga at different time, one even got to travel to America but here they are together and twin knives. What are the odds of that ever happening?

Oh really interesting and a very nice odd to go through. The story of twin knives......why don you post picture of the awesome twins and prepare a short hub may be with the amazing details...I think it will be surely interesting. Thanks

12. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

In the book: 'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver, one of the characters argues that: "It's very difficult for kids these days, the well off countrys' very prosperity has become a burden, a dead end. Everything works, at lest if you are white and middle class. So it must often seem to young people that they are not needed. In a sense, it's as if there is nothing more to do. Except tear it apart."

And you see the same cycles in history, It's not only children. At least I do:)

13. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

I hear the phrase, "History repeats itself", so often that I never once asked whether it's true. I just accepted it to be true. Now that you ask, I begin to wonder, LOL.

"History repeats itself" is such a vague sentence that it can be right or it can be wrong, depending on how we look at it. If a war happens, we can make a remark such as "We never learn! It's a case of history repeating itself". And no one can rightfully say we are wrong or illogical. But is World War II a repeat of World War I? Not by a long shot! World War I was fought in Europe, while World War II was on a much larger scale and included the Asia-Pacific region. We can say that World War II was a repeat of World War I in Europe but not in Asia. Yet, no one can say that the reason for starting the war was the same, nor were the two sides exactly the same.

Does history repeats itself? I don't really know. All I know is that my tomorrow will be a photostat of what I am doing today. And how do I know? Because I've been doing the same old thing for the last 10 years, LOL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)