If god is all-knowing, why do you pray?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (37 posts)
  1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

If god is all-knowing, why do you pray?

according to religious people, their god knows all, what they think, what they are going to do etc. so why do people pray to it if it already knows what they are thinking?

2. BSloan profile image67
    BSloanposted 11 years ago

I pray to give thanks for all the blessings I receive on a daily basis.  Even though God is all-knowing, it brings me peace to pray everyday thanking our Lord for all the great things that have happened during that day and I also pray for those who may be going through difficult times. 

Just as you would thank someone for something they did for you, I also believe in thanking our Lord every day for everything he does for me.

3. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Because even if you know everything about someone, it is nice to have them talk to you. Having plenty of knowledge is lonely and depressing unless you have conversations.

1. Junaid Ghani profile image70
      Junaid Ghaniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly correct. When we talk to each other, we actually revealing our identity.

4. Junaid Ghani profile image70
    Junaid Ghaniposted 11 years ago

To pray and asking help from God is an extremity of humiliation which we show towards the Greatness of God; And yes, He knows all, He knows the best!

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I pray to give thanks to God for everything he has done for me and provided me. I am thankful to him for everyday of life that he gives me, life is a gift, not a privilege. I am also so thankful for his grace. None of us deserve his forgiveness, but he sent his son to die for us so that we may be forgiven if we accept Jesus Christ into our hearts. This is more than enough to be thankful for. I am just thankful to God for everything.

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And to be like Christ is the highest ideal. Like Mark Twain said, "Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." May we all give sweet perfume to those who wrong us

2. SidKemp profile image84
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see the most direct process for becoming like Christ in 3 steps: Pray to Him for guidance; listen to His direction; do as he calls us to do. Then we build our house on rock. How do we know we got it right? By the fruits of our actions, we will know

6. profile image0
    LIL-ANGEL-WINGSposted 11 years ago

Do you have a person in your life that you love? Do you tell them that you love them even though they know it? If you do not tell them becasue you think that they all ready know, do you think it posible that without your spoken words, they may not feel that you do?   Do you show them by your actions? Do you do this because you have to, or because you want to?

God has given us free will. We are free to choose weather we will follow Him, pray to Him, whorship Him or praise Him. If we choose this ,then we pray because we desire to share with Him every detail of our life willingly. He does not force Himself on anyone. Although he knows what you will do or think, He wants us to come to Him in earnest, willfully on our own, not being forced. He is not dead or just up there somewhere only caring when He wants to. He cares for us at all times. He gives good to all. He shines the sun and moon and stars on all. He brings rain to water the fields to all. But it is our choose to believe or not.

If you say you are Athiest and you do not believe in God, why do you ask these questions. Why do you follow the religious pages? Why do you study it?

Everyone wants to be loved. Everyone wants to feel they have something to offer. Everyone wants to feel that their life has purpose. How much more can some one show then their Love for us then to lay down His life? Why would you if you knew this not want to Pray and give thanks to the one who gives such a presious gift as Life and Love?

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I am also confused by this one. If their God is all knowing their God would already know they are thankful. This is not comparable with a person we may love, because a person is unable to read minds. This would be like me knowing every detail about my husband's work day, then him coming home and repeating those details to me. Seems redundant. Maybe another example of a feel good thing to do?

Perhaps the confusion occurs because you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Prayer does not benefit God; prayer is for uplifting the one doing the prayer. And God's children are not Homo sapiens.

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the gesture, but if I had a god he would not allow millions to suffer then blame free will. I would never claim to be part of a God that allowed the pain we see in this world.

3. lone77star profile image72

I understand, but the answer is simple. 1st, God doesn't blame free will. 2nd His children don't suffer; they're immortal spirit. Your temporary body may suffer, but that does not harm the child of God within. Read my answer for greater clarity.

8. Crissylite profile image77
    Crissyliteposted 11 years ago

I pray because it's my part of communication with Him. To me, God is more than just some being in the sky or creator of life, but a spiritual father.

I may know a lot about my own young children, but I still want them to communicate with me. It's the same way with God. It's all about relationship. I believe that God wants a relationship with us and wants us to utilize our faith.

When we pray with sincerity in our hearts, God responds. I am a living testimony that God responds to prayers.

A beautiful viewpoint, @Crissylite. And even if you knew every thought of your children, encouraging them to communicate with you helps them become more outgoing. It strengthens them.

9. CR Rookwood profile image71
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

Well, lumping 'religious people' together as one unit and then complaining about the unit is not the most charming or persuasive strategy I've ever encountered. I mean, OK, some religious sentiments strike other people as foolish. That doesn't mean everyone from Gandhi to Gumby is an idiot for having a contemplative practice.

I don't speak for God. I pray because it helps ME. Praying helps me to let go of things that are beyond my conscious control. It also helps me to develop good will and compassion toward people that at first brush I'd rather whap upside the head. If this practice helps me and harms no one, what is it to you?

Some atheists and rationalists just mirror what they hate and the noise has become unpleasant for everyone and accomplishes nothing. Prayer is many things to many people. I suspect you aren't the least bit interested in understanding why people pray, and that the main point of your question is to make yourself seem intellectually superior by asking it.

@CR Rookwood, wow. A profound answer. Ironically intellectual, but full of heart.

2. CR Rookwood profile image71
      CR Rookwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks lone77star! I almost deleted it because I thought I was being a tad bit cranky, but I guess there is an honest answer mixed in there. All the best to you. smile

10. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 11 years ago

As much as I know He knows everything God wants me to pray to communicate with Him. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says "pray without ceasing" which means God always wants us to talk with Him about everything. Even though He knows your prayer before you pray.

To paraphrase Hebrews 11:6, it is impossible to please God without faith. Without being fearless and confident, we remain trapped in physical reality. Prayer is the use of that faith to accomplish miracles.

11. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

God knows everything, but I don't. I pray for many reasons. One is to ask questions. Then I meditate to receive the answers. Having an all-knowing friend is quite useful. Prayer is like calling that friend with a question. Meditation is like listening to the answer, rather than hanging up on him.

Classically, there are several reasons for prayer. Petition is asking for what we want. God may know it, but he's not going to give it unless we ask. "Ask and keep on asking, and you will receive."

Gratitude is another. God may know that we are grateful, but we transform ourselves when we choose to express, live, and embody our gratitude.

Praise is another. God may know how we feel for him, but we transform ourselves by embodying and expressing that feeling.

Those who do not pray are distant from God. Think of God as the choirmaster. Those who sit in the audience are far away. Those who join the choir ask how to sing, receive instruction, and sing as they are guided. They create beautiful music with God. As Jesus said, we ask and keep on asking. We are answered. And, if we do as we are guided in the answer, we build our house on rock, and the foundation will not be washed away.

Our destiny is to be with God. We get closer to God by developing continuous communication, calling out through prayer, receiving through meditation, and making our place in the Divine Plan real through action.

But consider: The "all" that God knows has room for our unique individuality. We are all made in His image. We are all creative. As we grow more deeply in his harmless Love, we may ask Him, "Thy will be done?" And he may reply, "No, my Son, my Daughter, you have grown. Now, you are loving to  your brothers and sisters, and I trust you. Do as you will!" Then we find that we no longer are guided by the Choirmaster song by song. We find instead that we may sing as we will, do as we will, and share the Love of God in the world.

Those who live this way bring hope and healing to all our brothers and sisters.

1. loveofnight profile image74
      loveofnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What an awesome answer, for the life of me I could not come up with a decent answer. It was as if all these things that I know were far away from me.I guess I stopped praying years ago without knowing.Thanks much for your needed answer.

12. Sue St. Clair profile image68
    Sue St. Clairposted 11 years ago

There are many reasons to pray. Prayer is a form of worship, communication, submission and obedience.

Your presupposition of "If god is all-knowing" is disjointed from the question of "Why do you pray?". Whether or not God is all-knowing is not always what prayer is about. God knows all. Knowing 'all' is one thing, in terms of intervening in matters, the fervent prayer of followers can and does often change events, which has more to do with omnipotence rather than knowledge. The phrasing of your question is very deterministic, which says a great deal about your image of God. When you view God as deterministic, mechanistic and distant, then there is little room for prayer. There is no room for prayer, life is only a matter of programming under such circumstances. It suggests the image of a God that cannot be touched by human prayer, then there is little reason to pray.

And it seems prayer has more to do with the one doing the praying -- helping them to grow, spiritually.

13. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Prayers is a link between you and God. It is like the communication between you and the other party.

Yes. Even God knows everything, it is good to have communication link between you and Him. When you are in need, you will ask Him and He will see if you deserve to be helped.

And wouldn't the deservedness be a function of one's faith (confidence)? Even with faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains. That is no different than any of the other miracles I've seen, except in our considerations of possibilities.

2. edhan profile image37
      edhanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Miracle had happened to me with my prayer as communication with God otherwise I would not survive today.

3. SidKemp profile image84
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the reality of miracles is a practical result for those who pray. Prayers, indeed, are answered.

14. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

A most intriguing question, @nightwork4. I hope you're really searching for understanding. The answer is amazingly simple.

You think you're that meat body you're wearing. You're not. Each of us is a composite -- sleeping immortal spirit, vulnerable ego and temporary Homo sapiens body.

God -- source and owner of the Universe -- is only interested in the sleeping immortal spirit (His children). That part in Genesis where it says that God created us in His image and likeness is talking about this part of "man," not the Homo sapiens portion. Most people are so enamored with their physical senses that they ignore the spiritual or don't believe it exists. The 5 senses overwhelm any message the sleeping immortal might attempt to send to the consciousness.

God is interested in rescuing his lost children -- those trapped in the physical realm.

Yes, God knows all. But this isn't a pissing contest. Like I said, it's a rescue mission.

The rescue is implemented by the spiritual child of God waking up. That takes perfect confidence (faith) and humility. Prayer without these doesn't work. But prayer with these is always answered in the affirmative and instantaneously. (I talk about this in my "Anatomy of a Miracle.")

Confidence is a hard thing to grapple with, especially when you're attempting to do something you've never done before.

Experience should've told Peter, when he stepped out of his storm-tossed boat onto the unsettled Sea of Galilee, that he would sink. But he didn't, not right away. For a few moments, all reasonableness had left him. For a few moments, he was entirely fearless and the prayer on the tip of his tongue was that of matching his master in the ability to walk on water. Then a spot of doubt entered his prayer, and he promptly sank.

The object isn't to transmit some information to God. The object is for the child of God to awaken and to resume control over itself and its environment through faith and humility. Prayer is a method for activating the awakening, but alas, so many do it all wrong.

So many will have fear in their hearts when they ask for help, and God gives them what they ask for with their hearts -- more fear. The mortal human may protest this, but this is the only way for the immortal to free their self.

I have seen this freedom. I have walked the corridors of space and looked without human eyes at the world around me, while my body sat several meters away. And I have seen the miracles that real prayer can deliver.

1. profile image0
      LIL-ANGEL-WINGSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I understand what is it when I too (have walked the corridors of space and looked without human eyes at the world around me, while my body sat several meters away. And I have seen the miracles that real )  if I may Quote Lone77star Amen and Amen!

2. lone77star profile image72

Thanks, @Lil. It would be my honor.

15. neelu sinha profile image59
    neelu sinhaposted 11 years ago

God knows every thing still people pray,  as I feel it is so because they wanted to have the things and the situations in their favour.  If it is not so then why people normally don't pray through their hearts when they are in favourable situations.

16. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

For the same reason you asked this question.

17. profile image0
    mayank786posted 11 years ago

i pray that make my life heaven in earth..

18. profile image53
    No Sleep Tonightposted 11 years ago

I use my pray time as a way of saying thanks to my maker who is always there for me.   It gives me a closeness to feel his love and get direction for the day.  We should always pray & give thanks for thats HIS will for us.  It brings me to a sense of being apart of someone that can handle things when I am totally lost.

19. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

Let's see...
    Because I like to talk to Him, because He likes me to talk to Him, because it's a good thing to "hang with the Lord" as the youth are wont to say, and because I like to see the answers when they arrive; of which I've seen 210,881 in my prayer journals since 12/13/85.
    Oh, yeah, and posting this is part of my job description as one of His kids, according to John 15:16.

20. profile image0
    matama ellieposted 11 years ago

The constitution gives you certain rights but you are not guaranteed to have those rights if you do not ask for them at times.It is the same with God.
    The Bible does say that you do not receive because you ask not-or something to that effect.
    God created people to communicate, just like marriage.He enjoys hearing his people ask for what they want.It really is not that hard to be honest.Praying is a cathartic activity that is also good for me and helps me deal with how i feel.Prayer is like having your own honest-to-goodness psychologist.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)