How do you pray and what do you pray for?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 11 years ago

How do you pray and what do you pray for?

2. profile image0
    mikeq107posted 11 years ago

Really simple..I just talk to God like I would talk to my best friend...He knows who I,m so no need for a big performance or religious hoopla...been doing it for years...got distracted by religious prayers as a kid...then one day I just simply decided to talk to him...and now I know his voice...love it really simple.. what do I ask for ? ...well as I have a really cool relationship with him...he lays on my heart what to ask for....really really simple...sadly man and religion have made it very complicated.....Great question Thanks for asking :0)

Michael :0)

1. jpcmc profile image88
      jpcmcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not many have this kind of relationship with God.

2. profile image0
      mikeq107posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know very sad when You think about it ...after all that is all he ever wanted ;0)

3. ologsinquito profile image84
    ologsinquitoposted 11 years ago

I pray for my family, friends and relatives and for the world in general.

1. jpcmc profile image88

There's so much going on in this world.  So many things to pray for.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

every day, i would pray the rosary and pray for my parents health, kids well being, the world for forgiveness, pray for the wild animals in the sea and land safety-keep them away from the poachers and hunters, pray for peace on earth and pray for our country. I learnt that one should not pray for himself but for others. Forgot where did i read that statement.

1. jpcmc profile image88

Most people pray for what they need rather than others - that's includes me.  smile

5. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I pray usually when I have quiet moments to be focused - usually mornings before I get up, in church,  or when I find solitude outdoors. I read devotionals at night before retiring. My prayers consist of thanks for God's grace and my many blessings, , a few specific requests for those who are ill or in hard times, general prayer for those in despair, and a prayer that I will always be able to hear what it is that God is asking of me as well as asking Him to always guide me in the way that will keep me free from sin. I close by letting Him know that I am His faithful servant.  God knows our hearts, so we can be casual and without pretense.

1. jpcmc profile image88

Not many have that quiet moment alone with God.  It's a very busy lifestyle for many.  I'm glad you have quiet moments.  I need to find my own quiet moment.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too have times when I wish to pray but can't focus, so I carve out times for longer prayer when I can commune w/ God. One of my favorite places is a bench in a stand of redwood trees that is off the beaten path in our local botanical gardens. smile

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I pray either when I am driving, right out loud so I don't get distracted, and or at night before I go to sleep.

I pray for the well-being of my family members, and ask for good health and an understanding of what God wants for us.  I have been praying for help for my fibromyalgia and walking again (walking has become painful), getting a grip on my weight.  I'm not asking God to do it for me, just to give me a push in the right direction.

1. jpcmc profile image88

I think I need to pray more while driving. smile  I hope all work out well with you my friend.

7. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I pray daily for everyone's health and may there be PEACE in the world.

1. jpcmc profile image88

World peace has been in the prayers of many for ages.  But i'm still hopeful for this.

2. profile image0

Love it :0) Keep it up I need more!!!!

8. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

I truly believe in the existence of a super power, an almighty. But it is within us...only thing is we have to become conscious of its presence. We can do so by believing in it, that is believing in yourself. This 'Self belief' and 'Determination' can enable us to remain calm and composed in all difficult situations of life. It gives us immense strength to deal with problems of life, for which generally we 'Pray.'
    And 'Prayer' gives you that strength, it makes you mentally strong.
    I do pray for the well being of my dear ones, my country and even the well being of all fellow human beings.
    Prayer, in my opinion is not limited by rituals, it rather is going on in the mind almost every moment.

1. jpcmc profile image88

This is really interesting to know.  Many believe that God is separate from us but we do commune with the almighty.  I appreciate your inputs.  Perhaps you can write a hub on this.  This is really interesting.

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Advice noted........ I would definitely write a hub regarding this. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. snerfu profile image68
    snerfuposted 11 years ago

I sometimes pray out loud sometimes I pray silently. I sometimes sing songs and sometimes it is a command. I pray to be with the God I know and respect. I also pray for others when I feel a need to.

1. jpcmc profile image88

In the church I go to, many prayers are turned into songs.  Unfortunately, it simply morphed into mere songs rather than prayers.  They lost their meaning.  It's sad.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96

Songs of praise are glorious and powerful when sung in unison, but prayer for many is very personal and preferred in silence. Both are forms of worship. I encourage you to look at it from a new perspective w/o sadness and dismay. smile

10. Ushnav profile image60
    Ushnavposted 11 years ago

I pray for good food everyday. Being in a hostel, you never know what would come in which state when. Bad food tastes good while good food tastes horribly bad sometimes. smile

1. jpcmc profile image88

I just hope your prayers are answered.

2. Ushnav profile image60
      Ushnavposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hahaaha. . .some days they are, some days not! smile

11. avorodisa profile image79
    avorodisaposted 11 years ago

My favorite prayer is "Our Father" that I say before going to sleep. Also, I recite sanskrit mantras from time to time. I especially like to recite that of Buddha's protection, it's about destroying evil created by people. Also, I pray to Saint Mary who is the patron of my city and my country as well.

1. jpcmc profile image88

Different prayers from different spiritual thoughts.  That's interesting.

12. CrescentSkies profile image65
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I don't pray and I choose to make things happen instead of praying for it big_smile

1. jpcmc profile image88

i wish you well in your endeavors.  Everyone has his own style of doing things.

2. profile image0

Honest answer :0)

13. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Well, I've been taught that if I am doing the right things, God will provide what I need. Also, that God will never give me more than I can handle. So, sometimes I ask for a 10 bedroom house and a nice van. I know! Those are wants, right? Maybe not.
         Since I don't have a clue what God's plan is for me, how could I possibly know the difference between a want and a need? Something that may appear to be a want, may actually be a need. It doesn't mean I need it today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next year.  The house and the van, today, may seem like comfort and luxury. But maybe I'll get those things. Just not for the reason I think.  Maybe because I will need the house to give a home to people recovering from addiction and the van to provide transportation for them to get to where they need. That's an example of non- recognition of blessings when they are put in our path. We miss so much. We have to recognize, then we have to act. God isn't going to do everything for us. Besides, if a house and a van are not part of his plan, then I just won't get them. Can't lose what I never had.
         In all reality,I spend most of my time saying THANK YOU. I don't really ask for much of anything. If something is to be, it will without my asking.

1. jpcmc profile image88

Not many people actually take the time to thank God for all the blessings.

2. profile image0

Love your Honesty Idono :0)

14. OutWest profile image57
    OutWestposted 11 years ago

I pray by thanking God for what I have and for the times He has protected me, as in when I make a mistake and walk away unscathed.  If I pray for others I only ask that He help the person.  I feel that praying for things or a specific outcome is not the true intension of prayer.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96

From a Christian standpoint, being thankful  and having faith in God's plan for us is the foundation of our relationship w Him.

2. profile image0

Good answer :0)

15. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

Praying is my first every morning, and that is my quietest moment.  For myself and my family, and for another day of living.

16. profile image57
    andrey68358posted 11 years ago

I'm not praying at all. Should I ? I believe in God, if that's his name. If I pray, will God fulfills my desires? I think he will not. It all depends on you, on how you make your life.

1. profile image0

Thats sad mate...great honest answer...:0)

17. lovish09 profile image57
    lovish09posted 11 years ago

i am a bike rider and just as I kick start my bike before the ride I pray ( remember GOD ) to keep all my co - riders and me safe and to complete the ride without much problems.
    same is repeated before going OUT from home.

1. profile image0

Hey fellow Bike rider...keep the rubber side down...Mike  :0)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)