Why do some people ask a question then delete the answers they don't like?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

Why do some people ask a question then delete the answers they don't like?

A number of times I've gone back to look at an answer I gave and the questioner has deleted it. Do they wish to embrace censorship or silence the opposition?

2. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Probably a bit of both.  I make it a point to approve every single comment - it adds to the conversation, and the learning experience.

However, I would probably re-think this if the comment was completely hate and slur-filled against someone, something, some belief, some gender, some race and not contributing in the slightest.......I would probably approve it - to show people how hateful that person was....then, delete it.

Perhaps you should complain??

3. Queen of Cups profile image60
    Queen of Cupsposted 11 years ago

I think people delete the answers they don't like is because those answers challenge them and are outside their line of thinking. I can understand if it was a truly hateful comment; but for the most part, I believe it is a comment the questioner disagrees with or does not want to read.
    The biggest play is personal opinion.

4. Emanate Presence profile image68
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

Can't answer this for everyone, but will say that while finding my way around HP I inadvertently deleted answers to my questions. My intent was just to delete my comment to their answer! I was chagrined that it happened and wrote apologies. It happened more than once and I saw that others had done the same - mistakenly deleted answers to their questions.

We could say that the one who inadvertently deleted acted too quickly and did not read closely what they were doing. Or we could say that the function of deleting just one's own comment on an answer could be made more clear.

Only once have I deliberately deleted an answer. Someone quoted scripture and it was not related to my question.

Now, I have a habit of wandering from the question in my answers too. But I reacted to the dogmatic tone of the answer.  I saw the scripture quoting on the HP home page and did not want "my" question to be associated with it. Later I considered that it would have been better, or more me, to have written a reply. Generally I respect that everyone has their perspective, and enjoy reading a diversity of responses.

If you don't mind a suggestion, maybe you could ask your question directly of the person, just without accusation. They might have deleted your answer without intending or there could be another explanation. If they deliberately deleted it, you both have an opportunity to gain something from the interaction.

5. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

It does seem pointless for anyone to ask a question if they are only prepared to accept one viewpoint as being valid.  In that situation, the question no longer a question - it just becomes a statement of that person's opinion and similar opinions.

I may delete abusive or aggressive comments, depending on the nature of the comment. Thinking about it, I may - in certain circumstances - also delete answers which veer off into a very different subject if it appears the original point of the question is becoming lost (I have noticed how the subject under discussion sometimes get hijacked by those with their own agenda).

However, if the answers are pertinent and civil, then they should certainly not be deleted. They should be discussed and debated. And if they are deleted, then it is a sign that the questioner feels unable to effectively respond. In that situation, the person whose answer is deleted, has won the argument.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The place for debate is in the forums, I have known HPs delete questions from this section because they encouraged debate.

2. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes but they don't delete a comment to a question once the question is active.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Disappearinghead; I was flattered to see my answer chosen as 'best', and I thank you. Yours is a good question. Both questioner and respondent always need to be aware of the 'rules of discussion' which allow a civil and fruitful exchange of views.

6. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Because they are censors of free thought, they want to tell a story so they get rid of anything that deviates from that story.  There was a lot of that sort of thing with the book burnings in Nazi germany before the 2nd WW.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I've just had a comment deleted because I dared to question the questors reasoning.

2. Marcus99 profile image59
      Marcus99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am about to enjoy that censorship as well in another forum. Ah, America! Land of the Free!

3. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think I was just censored - told the person whose hub I commented on (which was offensive), that I was as God made me - deal with it.  Perhaps he didn't want to???

4. tsadjatko profile image66

Oh, he dealt with you alright! It's called revenge.

5. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha maybe he did!

7. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 11 years ago

I'd never heard of this, very strange. I suppose some people ask questions just to make themselves more visible on HB, in the hope that they get more hits to their own pages.

The actual answers people give them, are probably in that respect only a small part of the equation and easily deletable if they don't like the answer. Especially if it challenges a viewpoint that they're secretly hoping others will corroborate! Like Jesus is the only way, or whatever cultural influence has become their own ultimate reality.

8. SwordofManticorE profile image70
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

I have deleted comments, but from only two people. When some one tells me that they know the truth and I dont. That ends any discussion for me.

1. tsadjatko profile image66

Yep, that is the excuse censors always give. Only censors know the truth. Why would you fear hearing something that is not the truth? Better to allow  the light to shine upon it. .

2. SwordofManticorE profile image70
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because anyone who claims that they know the truth is a liar. Let all men be liars and God true.

3. tsadjatko profile image66

That makes real sense "anyone who claims that they know the truth is a liar" So no one can know truth? Well that is a balanced view isn't it. What was the name of the asylum you are in?

4. johnwindbell profile image66
      johnwindbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

...it's called America !

9. juneaukid profile image71
    juneaukidposted 11 years ago

The some people you refer to sound like politicians. Very few politicians take into consideration things they don't want to hear even though they are supposed to represent all of their constituents, not just the influential ones.

10. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

This is not something I've done, so to answer I must speculate about the motivations of strangers.  But I've noticed that some people ask questions seeking not information but validation or, perhaps, rhetorical triumph.  Of course, this can work both ways:  are you seeking to provide information, or (just possibly, and no offence intended) rhetorical triumph of your own?

11. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure. But I believe it is entirely rude. They are erasing an individuals answer, a comment that they wanted to appear because they asked the question. They should never delete the comment, especially if they asked the question in the first place!

Rude is right! Even a bad comment reveals something about its author.- Some people do get off on the power they get to censor, probably because they feel they have little power in their pathetic lives.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thought.

12. johnwindbell profile image66
    johnwindbellposted 11 years ago

Why do people join a religion, then disregard things in that religion they don't like?
    Why do people vote for somebody they really haven't investigated?
    Why do people take 'big pharma' drugs and run to the hospital when Holistic and herbal medicines have been around longer and have done a better job?
    Why are people so full of advice when they can't even take care of themselves?
    Why do people act the same way everyday, when they have the chance in the morning to be someone better? ........etc.

I don't know, why?

I know why, narcissisism - they are small minded people who are unable to put anything above their own ego, wants, or desires.

2. Steel Engineer profile image81
      Steel Engineerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good analogy with the voting. I wrote some great exposes on two California elections. Only a few people found one, nobody found the other... but both were first page Google results. People must vote based on the information they receive passively.

13. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

This is an excellent question.

The "ONLY" reason for deleting anything is if it is a personal attack, not having anything to do with the question asked. Otherwise, it is censorship. I think maybe because your answer may be viable enough that they are intimidated they you have made a valid point.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was more said than that my friend.

2. profile image0

Yes, you personally attacked. If you do it again, I will delete them again. There is no need for personal attacks, PERIOD.

3. CrescentSkies profile image64
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To be completely fair to both here. Everyone has different concepts of what is and what isn't an insult. Jthomp perhaps what he said is considered normal where he lives. How can we really know?

4. profile image0

Just let it go World. Just let it go.

5. profile image0

How old are you World. Will your ego not just let it go?

6. profile image0

By your definition.... I don't think that to be a personal attack. I was just pointing out you are showing your maturity level. Just an observation.

7. profile image0

Enough said world. I prove my point. God bless.

14. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

I can see deleting an answer if it is disturbing, off topic, self promotional or too wacky but most often I've noticed it is done when the comment disagrees with their point of view especially if it is a comment that dispells their point of view with merit and cannot be honestly refuted. The best policy is to leave a comment because the comment invariably says more about the commenter than the subject. Hubpages is full of people who cannot take the light of truth being shed upon their opinions and I've even seen more than one delete entire comment sections from their hub because they didn't like what they were hearing and just want to get their propaganda out there unchallenged and have the last word on it...small minded people.

15. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

Silence the opposition, happens a lot in religious or political questions when the asker doesn't like the opinions of one of the people giving them an answer.

16. Denmarkguy profile image83
    Denmarkguyposted 11 years ago

I can understand deleting a response that is obviously promotional/spam, or that actively favors/promotes "hate action." But that's about it.

You've perhaps heard the saying "Don't confuse me with the FACTS when my mind is already made up?" I expect the people who post questions and delete certain answers are really not looking for actual opinions/answers, but for others to confirm and endorse their point of view. It seems to be a sadly common part of the Human Condition, to not be able to face perspectives that challenge one's sense of reality.

Having answered many questions I have to say you are right on.

17. sydneyspence profile image50
    sydneyspenceposted 11 years ago

For me personally, if I feel the comment has nothing to do with the hub then I'll delete it. The purpose of doing so (for me) is to try and maintain a professional looking hub. Some commenters aren't out to help one another but rather pick apart the writer's piece. Who does that help? Perhaps they are afraid of the competition? Who knows but I can understand why the hubber would delete such negativity. I prefer to leave constructive comments rather than make someone feel like they have no business on HubPages. This is a place for everyone to express their creativity, who are we to say they aren't creative? My thing is, if you leave a negative comment and I still ask for feedback and you'd rather put my hub down more well then you'll get deleted. I've been lucky enough to receive feedback from hubbers that are helpful though.

Comments can go off on tangents that have nothing to do with the hub but usually the commenter can be rained in by the hubber. The best hub writers I've experienced warn before they delete and make it clear why they deleted.

18. Steel Engineer profile image81
    Steel Engineerposted 11 years ago

Some people are not actually seeking conversation, truth, or even new information. They are only seeking for people to tell them what they want to hear.

19. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

I keep most comments but I will delete comments, when needed if:
    (a) the person commenting is rude or using inappropriate language
    (b) the person commenting is totally off topic
    (c) the person is over promotional and has repeatedly commented with links or referrals to their hub or site (I don't mind a couple but I do mind when it gets over 2 or 3 from the same person)
    (d) I don't understand what the person is saying (it's gibberish)  For example,  I had a comment one time that said "follow back" - What the heck does that mean?

Anyone else's answers are perfectly fine, even if they disagree, as long as they are respectful, don't use bad words, and stay on topic.  You can call it censorship and I'll live with that label.  I call it using common sense to weed out the riff-raff.

1. profile image0

Totally agree!!

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too! Nice clear answer.

20. Marcus99 profile image59
    Marcus99posted 11 years ago

Uh oh. Somebody's been naughty, huh? Deleted answers to questions? You animal, you.

Ahhh looks like  Disappearinghead has ferreted out an offender!

2. johnwindbell profile image66
      johnwindbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pretty soon, if the 'supreme court' has it's way, deleting answers to questions on HP will be a hate crime, as well as talking about your herbal medicine that healed your cancer !

21. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

I've personally never purposely deleted an answer to any question because I am here truly to learn how others think and to exchange ideas in an effort to expand my horizons and understand the basics of others beliefs. I think some people look for validation of their personal beliefs from others and as such delete answers that are contradictory. I also agree with some of the answers here that if the responses are off topic they should be deleted. Personal attacks are always subject to the interpretation of the person that feels that they may or may not be attacked.

22. Penny G profile image61
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

I guess they wanted to hear what they believed to be the answer. They really didn't need any help with it after all. Made them think way too in depth  and they saw what they did not want to see.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)