When is the last time you used a typewriter?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (50 posts)
  1. wayne barrett profile image74
    wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

When is the last time you used a typewriter?

Depending on how young you are, I suppose there may be some who have never used one. The last time for me was the year 2000. at the time I thought the new software programs were the greatest thing. They are very convenient, but I have begun to miss the sounds and the feel of the old typewriter!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7840840_f260.jpg

2. Theater girl profile image69
    Theater girlposted 11 years ago

1989, high school papers. Then Dad got this new program called Word perfect for our computer! The words were blue on a black screen. Memories!

wayne barrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You were one of the original word users.

3. bizarrett81 profile image67
    bizarrett81posted 11 years ago

I remember that.  I miss typewriters.  I would love to find one that works well to have, just in case = )

You could probably find one at an antique shop, or the flea market.

4. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 11 years ago

I used an IBM Selectric about a year ago.  The place where I used to work still has one for certain documents that can't be fed into a printer.  Boy, that back space correcting button is nothing like the 'undo' icon on a computer!

The, "undo", among many other features. Yes, we have become quite spoiled!

5. Tinsky profile image92
    Tinskyposted 11 years ago

Hi Wayne,

I last used a manual type writer in 1983 while at school in a typing class. I hated them, which is why after grade 8, I didn't continue with any typing subjects.  My fingers would often slip between the keys and get stuck. In the mid 80's my father purchased a Tandy TRS80 (without programs) and told me to learn how to code it to print using a dot matrix computer. In the 1990's I began using electronic typewriters and by the end of the 1990's I had my first real computer and have never really looked back.  I don't miss the sound at all. My current keyboard has its own clackety clack sound which can sometimes wake my daughter up at night!

I'm sure in the not to far future, even our modern keyboards will be considered outdated.

6. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years ago

I used a manual and electric probably up until around 1995 or so.  I am a writer and I used to use it to send out my poetry to magazines.  I always complain about my computer being slow but now that you've reminded me of these old relics I'll never complain again, at least for a little while smile

Lol. I'm sure if we were forced to use one again we would quickly begin to despise the inconvenience.

7. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

I have worked in data entry for most of my adult life. Back in 1996, after just moving and while looking for work, I worked for a temp agency. They sent me to a place that used typewriters. That was the last time I used a typewriter. I have never missed using them. They are so much more limited than a computer word program. They also have one big problem that I did not think I had until that time. I really cannot type. I make too many typos. I usually proof my work just before I print and that doesn't work with a typewriter. LOL

Yes, Spellcheck is a blessing for people like me with happy fingers. It's not that I don't know how to spell, but I hit wrong keys without realizing it.

2. Becky Katz profile image80
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have long nails, and hit two keys at once. I also get to typing too fast and miss spacing. Or I get to typing too soft and the letter doesn't even get pressed down. I do a lot of proofing.

8. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

I used one yesterday. Sharing, my dad's MO in the Marine Corp after a bit and a byte was as a office machine repairman. He specialized with Remington models and manufacturer. The one I used was a brother yesterday. I typed out a check for the boss awaiting a signature.

Mitch

Die hard typewriter fan!  : )

9. travmaj profile image73
    travmajposted 11 years ago

It's so long ago I can't recall - your question sent me scurrying to look for the last electric one (when new I thought nothing would ever compete with it) Clearly it's gone where all unwanted typewriters go! - Now you mention it, I miss mine also.

I probably trashed mine without a thought. Now I wish I would have kept it.

10. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

It was about 1995 when I was in school to learn how to be a Medical Secretary after my divorce and subsequent firing from a Wal-Mart.  I had hit rock bottom was out of a job, had a 17 year old to raise.  I asked God what the heck am I going to do now and I looked in the phone book and I opened it up and the schools and colleges page opened up and that was the first thing that I saw.  Funny how I have never used a typewriter since.  I do have one though, just in case.

I guess thinking about some things such as this makes you realize how fast time has slipped by.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes and we knew each other many years before that.  Time does fly by.  Things have really changed lots too since then.  BBS was just a small spark in the night sky.

11. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Probably sometime in the early 90s when I was in college, I had a big clunky IBM electric typewriter that weighed a ton, which I used to type up reports and term papers. I don't miss lugging that thing back and forth to campus!!!

I can imagine it would be a pain if you had to tote that thing around.

12. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

The last time I used a typewriter, IBM Selectric, was in 2002.

Thanks for the feedback.

13. okop profile image59
    okopposted 11 years ago

I used it when I was 13, my mom is a book-keeper and we have such gear at home

Even though they are not commonly used anymore, I think it is a valuable tool to understand.

14. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

Oh way back in the 1980's - I was so chuffed when the lovely new electronic typewriters came out instead of those awful manuals or electrics - they were a nightmare. But then we had Amstrad etc with the word processors - this was magic to me!!

Magic is right!

15. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Last time I used it, was may be in mid 90's, but  I still have it. Feels nostalgic to see it. Some things are kept as sweet memories of the past. It is one of them.

I can still hear it in my mind.

16. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I last used an electric typewriter in 1974, the year after I finished in college. During college, I used cheap manual typewriters that you could by for about $30 at discount stores. I wore one out every year, typing up all my notes from all my lecture classes and doing term papers, plus writing my stories for the school paper.
    I never did like electric typewriters, because pushing the keys did not produce any unique response. On a manual typewriter, someone could tell how busy you were, not by your speed, but by how hard you hit the keys.
    I then used an office size manual typewriter from 1975 to about 1981, when the newspaper, I worked for switched over to one of the early computer systems.

I was once using a manual typewriter and when I hit the carriage return lever, the top part of the typewriter flew onto the floor. The repairman said I was typing too fast.

I know what you mean by, how hard you hot the keys. I remember realizing that I was getting too tired to continue because my letters were not standing put like they normally would.

2. cintakesteeth1 profile image60
      cintakesteeth1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a Remington Quiet Model 1 from the 1940s and I also have a Corona Smith antique from around the same era. I am interested in finding out their value as well as selling them. Please contact Cindy @ 302-333-2124 with any answers or questions.
      Th

17. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 11 years ago

Junior year in college.
    A twenty page final with foot notes and a bibliography.
    I wanted to throw the typewriter out the window.
    Then we had to make a double copy.
    I used more white out .
    I think it was 1983
    You guys are lucky now.
    I must have typed that paper 3 times.
    Sorry for the typewriter. But I hated it,

It's like the memory of cooking pinto beans...some people love it, some people hate it!

18. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 11 years ago

I've never used a manual like the one in the picture. However, I last used an electric typewriter in the mid 90s.

Thank you Courtney!

19. Darren Owens profile image59
    Darren Owensposted 11 years ago

My freshman year in high school back in 1994. That's when I first learned how to type using home row on a typewriter. I was typing about 35 wpm by the end of the course, and that's about how fast I type now. Nothing to brag about!

Thanks, Darren!

20. fitmag profile image66
    fitmagposted 11 years ago

My mother used to use a typewriter at work. It was my favorite toy. I wanted to take it with me to school, because I was just learning to write and with the typewriter it seemed so much easier.

21. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

We had a manual typewriter at home.  That was what I used when I was in grade school.  I didn't like that the keys would get stuck.  Using white out was a pain.  Those were the 70's.

I used an electric one in high school typing class.  They said I should take a class like that because it would be handy to know how to type "for a girl like me."  Lol!  I was really happy about getting my own at home because of the correction tape!  Those were the 80's.

I won a laptop from an Apple contest in college.  What a difference.  I never looked back.  Those were the 90's.

22. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 11 years ago

For some reason, we always had typewriters at home. Mom had an old one with the typing hammers and all, and I used to type stuff from time to time. I always thought it was cool. She then bought a digital one and I used it for school and other stuff. I think the last time was probably in the late 90s.

23. sunflowerforests profile image66
    sunflowerforestsposted 11 years ago

The year was 1991 for me.  Oh the hassle of the hand held strips of correction tape and calculating margins and centering by hand.  I don't miss it one little bit.  We still have an antique typewriter exactly like the one in your picture though...

24. profile image50
    jellohelloposted 11 years ago

I think the last time I used one was 2001!

25. nanderson500 profile image78
    nanderson500posted 11 years ago

I would estimate fifteen years. I always hated typewriters, if you made a mistake you had to start all over again. I remember my mom being driven completely crazy by our typewriter.

26. allihassan profile image59
    allihassanposted 11 years ago

i used 20 years ago "Almustafai",a Sindhi Typewriter

27. Diana Lee profile image73
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I used a typewriter in the late 80s and did a correspondence course with it through the mail. My, how times have changed with easy access to study courses done online. I used a word processor until the late 90s and my first computer was a hand me down my son had.

28. sriramapriya profile image69
    sriramapriyaposted 11 years ago

I used  typewriter late time In year 2005

29. uNicQue profile image70
    uNicQueposted 11 years ago

I use one now occasionally. My boyfriend found one for me in a small family thrift shop, and knowing how much I appreciate any and every form of writing, he bought it for me for Christmas. I don't use it for school assignments, but I do use it to free-write. As cheesy as it is, it makes me feel like more of a writer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)