What is the best way to deal with controlling relatives who always want everythi

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

What is the best way to deal with controlling relatives who always want everything their way?

2. Lor's Stories profile image59
    Lor's Storiesposted 10 years ago

I wish they would go away.
    But I usually have to talk myself into not getting mad.
    They are big babies.
    Do I like to be around them? No.
    Usually they make a fool out of themselves.i
    They always get their way because its better than fighting

3. Beltane73 profile image76
    Beltane73posted 10 years ago

A firm but gentle stance.  Make sure they know you heard them by repeating what they said, but then stick to your guns.

"I understand you feel that a 150 people at the wedding is unavoidable, but Bob and I want a smaller, more intimate gathering.  We're only having 80 people.  I'd love a list of your top 10."

brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's clever. Firmness and a quiet voice  Sounds great.

2. Beltane73 profile image76
      Beltane73posted 10 years agoin reply to this
  4. Mary Stuart profile image70
    Mary Stuartposted 10 years ago

Set your boundaries firmly and then hold them accountable for their behavior. If, for instance, you invite them to dinner then plainly state when dinner will be served. Be careful to serve dinner at the stated time whether they have arrived or not. Hopefully they will arrive soon lest they get a cold dinner. They will soon learn that you mean what you say. I suggest that you do not seek to spend considerable time with controlling relatives but when you must see them then hold firmly to your boundaries and let them realize the consequences of their own behavior. Good luck!

1. Lor's Stories profile image59
      Lor's Storiesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't always work.
      Take alcohol away:)

2. Mary Stuart profile image70
      Mary Stuartposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have a good point there, Lor's Stories. If alcohol or other substance abuse is the problem then the whole paradigm shifts.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I cannot stand to be around controlling people so my answer would be to avoid them.  It may not be the healthiest thing to do, but for me I can't take the stress of being angry and keeping my mouth shut to get along....so I avoid avoid avoid.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

There can be many of them and sometimes it is difficult even to avoid them.
    Best option is to be firm and avoid confrontation. Remind yourself that it is only for a short time and it will soon pass away.
    The best way to win an argument is not to start it. You can have a control on your behavior, not others. That's my opinion.

7. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 10 years ago

Tough situation--each situation is different--but in the end it has to come down to boundaries.  We allow who we let in our lives, and in cases like family, we can control our own responses.  Setting firm boundaries is not easy--it may be messy--and it sometimes takes time--but eventually it should work.  Often times people set some boundaries but then retract or don't follow through.  Not only do external boundaries need to be communicated to others but you have to be willing to set internal boundaries within yourself (i.e. I will not allow myself to get worked up and argue with X about Y anymore so if X does Z then I will do A, B, and C).  I've had to prep myself emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually before going into situations in which I knew controlling people would try to manipulate.  Honestly, its not just people we are dealing with when it comes to control and manipulation--people are often times allowing spirits of control and manipulation to manifest through them so when it feels like a person is acting in an evil way--sometimes they truly are!

We have to be willing to operate in our wholistic nature so that means taking control over our own body, actions, thoughts, words, heart, will, emotions, and spirit and we must be in agreement with own self to set a boundary before we can do it well with another. 

Plus, if other family members are involved, there must be agreement in how to respond.  If you set the boundary and your husband allows those for whom the boundaries are set to violate those boundaries that's where it also can become difficult. 

If I had to pick four key words to summarize:  1.  Vision/Purpose (know what you want and why you want it  2.  Plan (know what you need to do, action steps, choose ahead of time how you will respond, etc.)  3.  Agreement  (Your whole self and others involved in setting boundaries must be in agreement with vision, purpose, and plan)  4.  Follow-through (be consistent--let time complete the purpose of the boundaries)

brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This shows organization, and deep thought. Nice going.

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I would say it depends upon the situation, and how many people are involved.  In the example of a wedding given in someone else's answer, I'd be even more firm: "I hear what you're saying, however, this is OUR wedding, not an opportunity for other family members to repay social obligations--you had your wedding already (if, in fact, they have)--now it's our turn and we're doing it the way WE want.  Go live your own ilfe (and, if they are not married yet)--do it YOUR way on YOUR wedding day!  Subject closed."
    (I have often found that people such as this don't often understand polite subtleties or hints--you have to be quite firm and sometimes lacking in some "tact."  They only "get it" if their feelings are hurt.  Oh well--sorry.  There are others' feelings to consider as well--a point they like to forget.  Being controlling is about being selfish.)

As for the perpetually late dinner guests...that is both rude and annoying.  I agree with the person who said serve dinner on time, regardless...but, if you really don't want the awkwardness that can then ensue, you could try the dodge of telling them that dinner is served at xxx hour  earlier  than is the case, adjusted for however long a time they are usually late...so when they think they're making their "stylishly late" arrival...they're actually on time.

In most situations, though, as I said, these kinds of folks don't often comprehend polite requests, and you may just have to resort to some version of "Butt out!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)