What kind of a person a person who claims that the god/s of all religions is/are

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Astralrose profile image91
    Astralroseposted 11 years ago

What kind of a person a person who claims that the god/s of all religions is/are same?

Does he really believe it or he's just saying it to be safe?

2. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

It varies. There is no simple answer to this question.

I've known people who honestly believe there is one divine being, and that different people, different cultures, different faiths, approach Him each in its own way. One common term for that point of view is universalism.

Others I've known prefer not to argue religion, a field you have to admit is one famously inconclusive to contest. Some of them find that a universalist position, whether or not they are sincere in it, is an effective ground from which to avoid disputes.

Still others will take a universalist position not to avoid dispute but to create it  merely to see how it develops in a debate. They too may or may not believe their own argument.

You have to know someone pretty well to judge what his motives are. Even then you rarely can be sure of them. I find the best rule is not to take positions in arguments about religion, or for that matter anything else, entirely at face value.

Astralroseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I myself couldn't find a logical answer as to why would a person say Hindu gods are the same with the Christian and Muslim gods. But I think this universalism gives them a good excuse to be on whatever way they want to see it. Great points there, Att

2. IDONO profile image59
      IDONOposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't find a logical answer to how you can question the motives of someone else's beliefs, yet be so steadfast about your own. That's why there are wars. I respect your beliefs. You should respect mine.

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I think whoever says it believes it!
    Every religion believes theirs is the (true) religion. They believe (their) god is the God. If one does not live according to their teachings he or she is going to hell or some other awful place. The fact that there are several Christian denominations tells you that they could not agree!
    A lot of people see organized religion and political parties as being equivalent to sports teams. They choose which group to join or root for and then proclaim theirs is the best!
    One of the smartest things the founding fathers did in America was establishing "freedom of religion" and "separation of church and state". That eliminated potential wars "in the name of God" on American soil. It created a "live and let live" way of life.
    From my point of view you don't need a "middle man" to have a relationship with God. Organized religion is not a necessity. Anyone who puts their faith in an organization or it's leaders is setting themselves up for disappointment as they watch priests and ministers "fall from grace" over and over again.

Despite frequent occurrence of  these "fall from grace" acts, many believers still cling to their beliefs. They can't see how can teachings be good when the leaders who advocate them are not true to them?

4. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

I read somewhere of a concept of God - be God a Him, Her, It, or whatever - being like an underground stream into which a great many wells have been dug.  Each digger thinks that he or she has found the only Truth, that is, the one THEY have discovered and are taking water from.     Each would argue with other well-diggers that those others haven't found the real God (or River)   In actuality, all are dipping their buckets into the same water source.

But truth is something that doesn't depend on what a person say and another person saying it. Truth must be universal...true to all like water quenches thirst. But saying my god is truth, it's just an opinion.

5. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

In my humble view, they are good people. They do not speak of Gods but 'God'
    They speak of a Present and Infinite Spirit, a Divine Ground which is always present, and from which all things live, grow and have their being.
    For them this is like a Life-Tree with many branches. I like one branch and call it Islam, another like a different branch and call it Judaism. This person or persons, feel that the Life-Tree remains one, even though it has many branches.

Yes, he/she believes it. I have three children. One likes the violin, another likes football, and the third is an anthropologist. Should I ask them to be the same? Then this would take from the variety and beauty of life, and would rob me of the creativity of their beautiful souls. Do you see this?

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Love your answer smile

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christin S

3. Anna Sternfeldt profile image59
      Anna Sternfeldtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this is just a wonderful approach!

4. Astralrose profile image91

If that is so, these many branches are minding their own and do not bother what's going on with the other branches as long as they belong to one big trunk? Because that's what I can see.

5. Isa28 profile image59
      Isa28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, a beautiful answer. I believe in one creator God & that we have to find our own way to God; not to be told how to believe/pray because some religion tells us theirs is the only path to God.  How dull life would be if we were all the sa

6. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isa28, just for curiosity sake, how did you come to the conclusion that there is one creator God?

7. Isa28 profile image59
      Isa28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Walter, years of research & from my inner knowing. When something 'sounds good and feels right', I am open-minded enough to take it on board.  I found some info on this site: http://www.merkaba.org/cddownloadsnew.html#ebooks that helped me.

8. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isa28, how come I also do years of research but come to an opposite conclusion, LOL. I have 2 hubs on it: (1) Read String Theory in "Is paranormal mere hocus-pocus?" which shows an 11-dimensional universe; and (2) "The Soul World as I understand it".

6. calynbana profile image77
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

I think to say that betrays a lack of deep thought into the idea of God and gods. To say that all the gods are the same is impossible. Say for example comparing the Judeo Christian God, who says there is only one God, and the Hindu gods, who interact with and know there are multiple gods. Or perhaps compare Mithra, the God born from a rock full grown, and Jesus God incarnate born of a woman, or a God who only loves those who he chooses, Allah, then there are gods that love all, Yahweh. The Greek gods, who each have their own areas of expertise and failure, and the concept of an omnipresent, omniscient singular God.

All these ideas and concepts of God contradict, they all claim different histories, different morals. All the gods have different personalities, and character traits. They are too different to all be the same. Just like all the religions are too different to be teaching the "same" things as so many people claim.

I think when people say that, they may believe it, but they likely do not know much about the different opinions, gods, and religions and choose to believe that they are all the same, rather than really learn about each, and their differences. I have heard people make this claim many many times, good friends and family members, it usually comes from a place of pondering and honesty, but it also comes from a place of ignorance.

1. manatita44 profile image72

I have studied Hinduism for 30 years. There is only Brahman (God.) Yes they speak of gods and deities, in the same way we speak of angels and arch angels. Only more meaningfully. They.speak of Rama and Krishna, in the same way we speak of Christ.

2. calynbana profile image77
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is not the way in which my Hindu friends have explained it. I will do some more personal research into the belief system however. Thank you for pointing out my misconception. Then my example should be Greek gods, rather than Hindu gods.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What non-benevolent Gods do you two speak of? I am confused. The ancient Hindu chants and therefor knowledge of God, reflect a oneness with love. Of course we call to mind Namaste and the Gayatri Mantra.  These 4-5,000 year old ideas are? Second?

4. Astralrose profile image91

Ignorance, blind belief and lack of open-mindedness to what their scriptures say and what is reality. They're 'lazy' to think deeply so they tend to say, yeah, all gods of all religions are one and the same!...(is that it?)

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Multiple Gods and more than one God are man made notions. A God would be alpha and omega and omnipresent and omnipotent. You cannot have that in multiples. Because then no God would be God. A God of this and a God of that is not a God at all.

6. Anna Sternfeldt profile image59

I also believe...and I may be wrong becuse if I said promptly that I was "right" I would be playGod myself... that the God, the origion of all life, the source of love, is one, but that the "religions" are different with lots of different traditions.

7. calynbana profile image77

I am not sure what you are referring to Eric. I did not mention non benevolent gods.

8. Ericdierker profile image45

calynbana, if you accept the notion of multiple Gods then it is a different definition of God. 4 God's could not be omnipotent. But thank you for questioning me I see you were using small g gods.

9. calynbana profile image77

I am slightly confused by your comments Eric. I agree with you about the definition of God necessarily being one but that is not what everyone believes. I also did not mention non benevolent gods

10. Ericdierker profile image45

As I said, thank you for questioning me. I misread and was thinking of a God, that has the quality of God and is all powerful. The question truly goes to gods who have historic roles and of course none of them would be the same. Again thank you.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

A very confused person......................................... Very confused.

1. manatita44 profile image72

Why JT?
      You must expect different views when you use this sight. I value yours. Let us respect others.

2. Astralrose profile image91

I think what you mean is let's "tolerate" each other's beliefs because when you say "respect" you value the idea so much that you follow it and make it as a foundation of your life.

3. Anna Sternfeldt profile image59

Who is confused? You :-) Well, I am many times, because the universe is so complex and all different people. So therefore I believe in respect for our different ideas, and that we are just imperfect humans all of us.

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I apologize if I have offended, I really do not understand the question fully. Of course we are to be tolerant of other religions. I have no problem with others who believe in a different God than I. I respect anyone who is passionate about their rel

8. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

to be safe? from what?

I don't personally believe in any "God" - but for the sake of argument - why would God create only one true religion and forsake the millions of other people he created?  I find the belief that one religion is right and the others are wrong to be very spiritually immature and arrogant. 

If God is this omnipotent entity - what's to say that in his/her/its complexity - it didn't present itself in different ways to different people?  What's to say "God" isn't a human construct we developed in our infancy to try to better understand life itself? 

The truth is no one knows if God is real - belief, faith etc are nice but they are not proof.  No one will know if there is a God/Gods etc or not until they actually come face to face with him/her/it

1. Anna Sternfeldt profile image59

You sure have good points in what you are saying.

9. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

Some may believe it, and others may be just saying it because he/she doesn't know what he/she believes. God is a personal thing for all people, and all faiths believe that their god is the True God. In essence, the Supreme being who created the universe and all people is really over all religions, though He may not be of the religions.

10. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Safe from what? When one stands in judgement, will it matter whether it is one God or 10 Gods? If a person is stating their personal belief, they are not necessarily saying they are right and you are wrong. If they want to be safe, what would be safer than making no statement at all?
         These statements don't mean a person is ignorant or well educated. Neither of those will get you into heaven, or where ever. Being true to your heart is what any or many Gods will look at.
         In my religious up bringing, Jesus spoke of one God. Was he just saying that to be safe? If so, that didn't work out too well, did it?

Safe because he is in a foreign country where people's beliefs and rituals are different from his and living with a partner who is neither believe nor disbelieve - a person who doesn't hold a strong stand on what he believes.

11. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Religions do not get to own God. I suppose God can own a religion. Why couldn't a God show up differently to different groups based on what they needed.
    And "same" to who or what. Different to me, but same to God?

Christians that profess the Gospel of Love believe God is in all Love and therefor can be in all people where there is Love. So if God is in all of us God must be able to be all.

Someone who believes God created all things, would have to believe God created all the random beliefs of God. So it would be different Gods to us but the same God to God.

So there is not one kind of person that thinks all Gods are the same God.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Eric for providing truth.  You cannot keep God ion a box and then tell everyone else who needs him that they must know the password that you set for it.  God cannot be kept in a box and he/she cannot be owned period.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Isn't true Lady that seemingly hard times, problems and difficult questions are like valleys raised and mountains lowered when viewed through the Great Love of God. Our God, everyone's God.

3. Astralrose profile image91

But what kind of a person a person who claims that all gods in all existing religions are the same? I suppose he really doesn't understand what he is saying?

4. Anna Sternfeldt profile image59

This is very well described on a view that I believe is humble and peace keeping. That God is God, and you may call it Love, and it appears to us in different frameworks.

12. profile image53
    sainiborboruahposted 11 years ago

Our own belief and values created God, In reality nobody has seen God in a physical attire. The person who claims that God is same for all religion is very independent mind. His viewpoint reflects that he will be kind of person who respects all religion.

13. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

Because there is only ONE TRUE God. People just see him differently and interpret the Scriptures incorrectly

14. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Sounds like you are a follower of a monotheistic religion... did God created Himself and then created this universe? I think there is a soul world out there like our physical world.... many souls with different status, just like you have the President of the United States, State governors, Congressmen, etc etc... May not even be one God at the top but an oligarchy, LOL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)