What do you grow in your garden?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (22 posts)
  1. caseymel profile image92
    caseymelposted 10 years ago

What do you grow in your garden?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7935081_f260.jpg

2. lburmaster profile image70
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Basil, lavender, oregano, chives, parsley, mint, rosemary, and sage.

3. samazi profile image72
    samaziposted 10 years ago

I love to grow spinach and flowers in my garden.

4. caseymel profile image92
    caseymelposted 10 years ago

We have a tiny yard, so I only have two pepper plants, one tomato plant and a bunch of flowers!

5. sasanqua profile image78
    sasanquaposted 10 years ago

Hmmmm...what do I grow? Not much. What have I TRIED to grow? Celery (failed), lettuce (initial success followed by failure), basil (failed), strawberries (failed), spinach (failed). My dad planted some flowers and small shrubs for me though and they're doing well smile

6. VVanNess profile image76
    VVanNessposted 10 years ago

So far just 2 tomato plants and an avocado tree. I've tried planting tons of other stuff in the ground but it just doesn't survive here. I'm now trying for a potted garden with my tomatoes and my avocado. I would love to know some tricks for planting more.

7. Silver Bands profile image61
    Silver Bandsposted 10 years ago

Sage, rosemary mint and we have a few cactuses for diversity smile

8. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7938651_f260.jpg

caseymel,
    I always grow tomatoes. This year I'm also growing everything else I need for a salad.
    Happy Gardening,
    Lisa

9. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I have 6 out of 8 acres cleared, but I have not started anything but a perennial flower garden. I'm afraid that the deer will eat anything that I plant, and I really need to research what keeps them out of the garden. They eat all my apples and peaches from my trees. However, I did start with herbs last year in pots. This year, I'm going to plant them in the ground close to the house where the deer are afraid to come. So far, I have lavender, oregano, basil, and chives. I would also like to do rosemary and thyme. For veggies, I would like to start with tomatoes, bell peppers, anaheim peppers, and jalapeno peppers. If I can find my green thumb, I may venture out more next year.

10. visitbarcelona profile image60
    visitbarcelonaposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7941647_f260.jpg

I have about 20 pots of orchids in my garden, from various colors and different qualities. I also have some inside orchids. By this time, they are all in bloom. Gorgeous!

1. Abby Campbell profile image73
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love orchids! They are so gorgeous! But, I can't seem to keep them blooming. Once the flowers die, it seems to never grow back. sad

11. georgialgal1984 profile image82
    georgialgal1984posted 10 years ago

I have the following in my raised garden bed:

(2) blackberry bushes
    tomato plants
    chives
    zinnia's
    okra
    carrots
    spinach
    rosemary
    green onions
    oregano
    mint
    peas
    Our raised bed really helps here in Georgia's clay and rock soil. Hope you have a wonderful day~

12. dorothy0328 profile image75
    dorothy0328posted 10 years ago

Well I have a raised garden here in Louisiana and I love it. I have tomatoes, zucchini squash, yellow crookneck squash, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, okra, cucumbers,  garden beans, sweet peas, sweet corn, white corn, habanero peppers, jalapino peppers, bell peppers,  serrano peppers, celery, carrots and eggplant. I also have a mound in a part sun part shaded area in the back yard that is about 6 ft long by 5 ft wide and 3 ft tall which I have max pumpkins (get to be up to 300 Lbs.), cantaloupe, and watermelons. In a small container garden we have Rosemary, Basil, Oregano, and Cilantro. All of these are great plants peppers being my personal favorite as they are pretty easy to raise and do not require much additional care. The squash plants all have a great production rate and also do not require much additional attention however they do need to be inspected for bugs at least 4 times a week (should be done with any type of gardening) and treated with either an organic mix of dawn and water or a store bought pesticide such as seven. When growing plants such as peas, cukes, pumpkins, watermelons and cantaloupe  they need a trellis or a mound to be able to vine out and produce the fruit or vegetable you have planted. As for garden beans, bell peppers, tomatoes I use garden steaks to keep them standing tall. And for the container herbs I really dont have much to do but water them. I have learned with Rosemary in a very warm climate that it love partial shade/sun combination, a semi sandy soil and to be planted in the ground. Rosemary is very hardy and frost resistant as well I have one at my other home in Florida that is as big as a hedge. Also here in Louisiana we have Blackberry bushes galore, a mulberry tree,  Orange trees, lemon tree, a sour kumquat tree, sweet cumquat tree and Japan Plum and pecan trees all planted in sunny areas of the yard. We also container grow pineapples in very large containers as pineapples do not like cold winters and by planting them in pots we can bring them in from the cold to protect them. Also in a wet slightly shaded area we have planted about 30 banana trees.

13. wmhoward4 profile image66
    wmhoward4posted 10 years ago

I found the cucumbers and squash grow rather well for me. This year I am trying a hanging strawberry cluster.

14. jobs4newcastle profile image58
    jobs4newcastleposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7945136_f260.jpg

If we have tiny yard then i want grow some small vegetables and flower plants.

15. Kevin Peter profile image61
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

I used to grow flowering plants eariler. But now I am interested in growing vegetables. I grow bittergourd, brinjal, pumpkin, snake gourd etc.

16. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 10 years ago

Peace. Reflection. Solitude. Wonder. Inspiration.

1. profile image0
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jim,
      I love your attitude!
      Lisa

17. nArchuleta profile image74
    nArchuletaposted 10 years ago

As an urban gardener living in an apartment, I'm pretty limited in what I can grow. My best success is with herbs, especially basil and parsley. I've killed every cilantro I've ever tried (apparently it's notoriously finicky) and had moderate success with rosemary. I tried grape tomatoes once, but the plant became sickly. I also attempted an indoor citrus plant once; it died.

Growing up we had a decent-sized garden. My very favorite were the peas. My sister and I used to graze our way through the rows!

18. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9080196_f260.jpg

It might be easier to tell you what we don't grow : ) We have a 24 ft by 48 ft garden space. So we have been experimenting with intensive sq ft gardening and dwarf fruit trees.

Garlic, assorted potato varieties, snap peas, regular peas, cucumbers, corn, sunflowers, green beans, assorted tomato varieties, assorted pepper varieties (mild and hot), carrots, radishes, beets, spinach, lettuces, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spring onions, regular onions, dill, parsley, basil, thyme, mint, rosemary, oregano, lemon balm, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, dwarf apple trees and dwarf cherry tree.

19. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 9 years ago

When I start my container patio garden this spring, it would have the peace lily, a sunflower and maybe a couple of herbs.

20. Deborah Minter profile image90
    Deborah Minterposted 6 years ago

My favorites is tomatoes and chiles, I have grown everything I can get my hands on. Currently I am growing.....
    Thyme, Oregano, Chives, Basil, Leeks, Pepper Mint, Mint, Anaheim Peppers, Tomatoes and green onions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)