If the majority of a country beleives in a God, then how...

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (56 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

If the majority of a country beleives in a God, then how...

is it that the lack of religion in school is blamed for the problems with our children. Since the majority of parents here in USA are believers that means the majority of children are being brought up in homes with faith. So how does adding that faith in schools suppose to change something?

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

Yes, most people in this world are followers of God, different Gods due to different religion. Good questions is why do children become bad even though they are believers. It depends on the children attitude and behavior. we can't blame everything on others because what we sow is what we reap. My friend is a faithful follower of Jesus and so are her kids but they turn out bad too. Who to blame?

1. WalterPoon profile image68
      WalterPoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Emmm.. Malaysia is a country where Islam is the official religion and this is what UMNO has been fighting for. But how come under its administration, Malaysia scored the lowest in the world in Transparency International's Bribe Payers Survey in 2012?

3. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Very simply, those who blame are stating their prejudice, not taking a look at reality.

Our children's problems arise first with the structure of our families and the unconscious values of our parenting. Problems that arise from schooling - and there are many - have nothing to do with religion.

When we, as adults, live in peace and joy and face our problems, then keep our children safe and teach them to do the same, and advocate for schools based on the same principles, regardless of religion, this world will flourish.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

Lazy parenting is the reason, lack of the religion in school is the excuse made by those that don't want to accept that parenting skills are obviously lacking.

5. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Possibly, because of the believers, probably the majority, many pay lip service to Christianity through the week and then repent their 'sins' on Sunday, their children are brought up with the same attitude - do what you like in the week, but be good and say sorry on Sunday.

6. Lady Guinevere profile image64
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

It will not change a durn thing.  It isn't the children totally responsible for this.  It is the adults who act like children and bully others and show their kids how to act towards others.  No matter what the parents tell their children it will always be how the parents act towards others.  Right now there is a split between what Christianity deems right to do towards others and what is totally wrong in their little minds.  They are creating division and judging others and it is coming right back to them and then they play the blame games...and what are their children seeing and learning...the same things.  It won't stop until we learn to Love One Another As Ourselves and what we sow we shall reap.  People need to WAKE UP and evaluate what their actions are causing their children to do.  I believe in God as a creative force and it is apparent in nature and I don't abuse it because it is in everything.  When we allow and EGO to take charge bad things will happen and this is a product of years and years fo EGO to take place.  We must look at our deeds and actions and pay attention to our body language.  Words are just words but you teach by your actions. Parents need to take responsibility for their actions and words and how they conduct themselves towards others.  When that happens then things will change.  Until then..we will continue to bring back that which we do not want.

1. manatita44 profile image69
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Be nice, Jthomp,

I know you can be. I have felt your better side. We do not win our inner battles with these kind of conversations. Let us all pray for one another. God speed!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Manatita.... I was attacked on a very bad day, I am only human. God bless you my friend!!

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

The society in which we live in is to blame. The lazy parenting of letting children watch whatever they want on television, play any game that want to on the wii, etc. desensitizes them to human life. Unfortunately, morals have become weak, with God comes very strong morals.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image64
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Morals arent only in religions. It's parents of any walk of life allowing TV and Games to babysit. Parent's  don't have relationship wth their child anymore.  Nothing to do with religion or morals, just lazy n 2 busy other places.

2. profile image0

I agree Lady. But, a child brought up in a Gold;y home is going to have a stronger moral fiber. If they use it??

3. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wrong, my sons are brought up by two agnostic/atheist parents and they are wholly moral and good people. It's a fallacy and a dangerous one that religion is necessary for morality.

4. profile image0

Christin..... You are one of the lucky ones.

5. ChristinS profile image39

I'm one of the lucky ones huh? Wow - just wow.  You religious people sure seem to know how everything works.. must be nice to be so perfect.

6. profile image0

Not perfect by any means! As a matter of fact who knows what really goes through a child's mind? I'm sure the Islam's that kill so many do not tell their parents they are radicals.

7. MickS profile image61
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We don't need any form of religion to behave in a moral manner, we all know the difference between right and wrong, it is up to parents, teachers, and society to instill those values in our children.

8. profile image0

Agreed Mick.

9. Lady Guinevere profile image64

Jthom, U R so 2faced.  U disagree with my post but agree to Mick who say that same thing. Is that morals?  I think NOT.

10. profile image0

I agreed to end this foolish debate Lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't agree with any of you. You all need Jesus.

11. ChristinS profile image39

And you need a dose of humility and some respect - be more like Jesus JThomp you're a hypocrite.  Jesus talked about them too..

12. profile image0

I have not shown any disrespect Christin. Plus how dare you preach to me something "you do not believe." Nor understand. But, of course you will claim that you understand the bible, you just not believe it because you are too intellectual. Nonsense.

13. Lady Guinevere profile image64

Next thing he will be saying that we called him names.  Booo hooo.  I am tired of their rhetoric and lies and when we try to explain we get crap and followed and beaten down.  The run, we are supposed to bow down to them and leave them alone. Morals?

14. profile image0

Lady, You are the HYPOCRITE!! BooHooo my rear end. I'm sick and tired of you people thinking you can push Christians around and if they voice their opinion, you call them a hypocrite. That is called standing up for my God. You are no Lady G!!

15. ChristinS profile image39

I was raised Christian and changed my mind - so I do know the Bible. Telling someone they need Jesus isn't disrespectful? What if I told you that you need to be atheist? and you preach about morals? you can't even see yourself with honesty.

16. profile image0

Christin........... This is of course your "ALL BELIEVING" POINT OF VIEW. And yes, Everyone needs Jesus.

17. Lady Guinevere profile image64

O NO who started the pushing -YOU DID and that ws the reason I had you blocked for some time.  Now I will again and this time I will not give you a 2nd chance.

18. ChristinS profile image39

I don't feel the need to tell anyone else what they need actually JThomp, nor do I feel the need to shout in all caps or use multiple exclamation points to make my case.  No everyone doesn't need Jesus, sorry to disappoint you.

19. profile image0

Ohhhhhh that just ruins my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. MickS profile image61

There seems to be a lot puerille name calling going on here, let's just stop it. I don't feel the need to assert my beliefs or push them down the throats of others, nor should Christians. Religion of any stripe doesn't make morals, people do.

21. Georgie Lowery profile image89
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't need Jesus. I don't need a trip to a big building every Sunday (or Saturday or Whateverday) to have very strong morals. Those "morals"  that some religious people have don't stop them from being condescending and self righteous.

22. profile image0

One question? I mention God and I am the one who is attacked. Sometimes one does have enough and does strike back. We are only human.

23. MickS profile image61

Mmm, that does seem odd JT, especially as the question was to do with religion, and its effect on societal, moral values. However, perhaps many people use God too much as a crutch, and abandon thinking for themselves.

24. profile image0

Agreed Mick. And that is a major problem. God should not be used as a crutch for anything. He is my rock, no crutch needed.

25. Georgie Lowery profile image89

You didn't just mention God, JT. You made a statement that everybody needed Jesus. That makes you arrogant and presumptive. You have no right to judge or decide what anyone else wants or needs - and this is the big problem I have with religion.

26. profile image0

Georgie.. It is not a religion, it is a way of life. And, yes I still believe everyone needs Jesus. I will believe this until my last breath. This is not out of judgement, but compassion for my fellow man/woman. No one deserves the alternative.

27. Georgie Lowery profile image89

I'm not one of those hateful atheists, JT. If someone says they're praying for me, I thank them. But you have to understand that we are not all the same. And I stand by my belief that no one has the right to decide what I need but me.

28. profile image0

Okay Georgie, I respect your beliefs.

29. Georgie Lowery profile image89

Thank you, JT. I appreciate that.

30. Mitch Alan profile image79
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If JThomp42 had the name of a doctor that he was completely convinced could cure a physical ailment of yours and then he said you need Dr Blank, would you say JT was lacking humility? JT believes Jesus is the Savior and want all to be saved. Simple.

31. profile image0

Thank you Mitch!!

8. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 11 years ago

It is important to believe in God, also important that we practice what we believe. I don't have children but I do see things happening around me. It is not the lack of religion but the lack of faith in God by us individuals. Even pagans believe in doing the right things. The parents are to blame for their children's bad behaviour. It is also credit to the parents if their children are well behaved.

9. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Bad parenting skills have nothing to do with religious beliefs.
    Every religious person I know of "cherry picks" which verses they will follow. Each of us chooses our own sins. There is no one I know of that follows their religious teachings completely.
    If they did the: "Love thy neighbor as thyself" rule alone would eliminate all crimes and wars as well as discrimination of any kind!

1. ChristinS profile image39

excellent point. We are all human.

10. Georgie Lowery profile image89
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

Ok. I just had this discussion the other day with a friend of mine. Right off the bat, I will tell you that I am an atheist. I do not, however, see any problem with religion in schools - as long as ALL RELIGIONS are represented. I also don't think that putting God back in school will do any good.

When I was a kid, everything I did reflected on my parents. The more I see these days, this is no longer the case. Ticking off their parents seems to be a form of entertainment and going to juvy is like a badge of honor.

Too many parents now either don't have the slightest idea what their kids are doing or they know full well and just don't care. If you let your ten year old watch violent or suggestive movies, he will grow up with a skewed view of the world. Let him kill stuff all day long on his XBox, he won't know how to relate to anything that isn't CGI. Ineract with that same kid and actually teach him right from wrong and then he might have a chance.

You teach them nothing, and that's exactly what they will grow up to be.

1. ChristinS profile image39

That's the thing though, no one will allow all religions, people will argue that others shouldn't be allowed etc and it distracts from education. I agree parents seem to be oblivious to what their kids are engaging in far too often. very true.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image89

That's the real shame, if I can sit here as an athiest and say "put religion in schools." But I guess I'm the bad person because I don't believe in God.

3. The Public Image profile image68
      The Public Imageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Georgie: too many parents let TV, video games, and the internet raise their kids, resulting in mixed messages children can't work out. Don't buy it? Well, we know advertising is effective, why wouldn't other media have the same effect?

4. Borsia profile image38
      Borsiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no objection with a class about religions, what they are and how they came about.
      But there shouldn't e anything purporting that any religion is factually based. That amounts to supporting religions in schools which I oppose.

11. c mark walker profile image60
    c mark walkerposted 11 years ago

Lack of religion is appropriate in our education system. Jesus was the first proponent of separation of church and state (Matthew 22:20-22).
    There are too many forms of religion aside from the many forms of Christianity.
    According to a poll on the Pew Forum website 78% are Christian but only 51% protestant with 26% evangelical and 18% mainstream. That leaves the question being which form of Christianity should be taught in school Jehovah's Witness,Baptist,Mormon,Scientology,Greek Orthodox or Catholic theology?
    How can we be sure that Buddhism,Hinduism,Islamism or even Satanism might be what's popular twenty years from now.
    If our children are raised in an environment of love they will exude love at school and hopefully those students without religious faith and without love will be influenced by the character of those raised in a loving home.

1. The Public Image profile image68
      The Public Imageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My man hit the nail on the head. If children are raised to do the right thing because it's the right thing, and not because they're afraid of reprisal from an invisible man in the sky, they'll have stronger moral fiber than any religion can teach.

2. Mitch Alan profile image79
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Public Image, The question would then go to..."What is the "right thing" and why is it the right thing?" I contend in one of my hubs that murder cannot be inherently WRONG if there is not God. It can be illegal and socially disaproved, but not wrong.

12. stanwshura profile image70
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

First, while the the majority of families in America are religious, I think we'd fing that very many of *those* familes are religious on Sunday, primarily, and live as decent seculars most of the rest of the time.

Second, and this is sheer but very strong opinion, those who purport to believe that religion in schools will aolve all of society's ills are either huge fakes or pure d nuts, or extremists *at least*. 

Church and state are separate for some very good reasons, one of which is to make sure every child and family is respected and treated fairky no matter how they worship or even if they do. 

You'd see a decline in academic performance, and I believe a sytemic desensitization to the very values the argument for religion in schools accuse of being so preciously absent.  Shove it done their throats and we/they will spit it back in your face.

No ma'am.  School and church remain much more powerfully positive influences as long as they remain *separate*.

13. profile image49
    betty colemanposted 11 years ago

The quick answer.... there is none. I do know however that you can't have authority over a friend, and that is the problem with a lot of parents. They want to be a friend to their children. How on earth are you to raise a child with any morals or values when you are afraid that  they will be "angry" at you? You are afraid that they will hate you? It can not be done, that is a hit or miss kind of parenting, We need to stop reading books on how to parent and just do it. Do we need religion in schools ?  No, but I do believe in prayer. I think that if you raise your child to pray(to who or whatever) that the schools should not hamper that practice.  After all shouldn't your child carry the values that you teach them wherever they go?

14. WillPacino profile image59
    WillPacinoposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7975595_f260.jpg

Well.We don't know the truth.But we had better believe it!

15. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

2 + 2 = 4 and 2 X 2 = 4
    Both of these are taught and understood at home as well as at school.
    No disagreement, confusion, or chaos here........

When God is taught at home and not recognized or taught at school.
    Disagreement, Confusion, and Chaos is generated.

Today's society has proven these facts to be true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)