Why do parents expect children to act like adults?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (16 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Why do parents expect children to act like adults?

Do we put too many standards on our children and in return take away some of the child in them?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8035920_f260.jpg

2. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I would suggest that the main reason is that the parents do not accept themselves as whole people - including their own childlike, and even childish, qualities. I find that those who accept themselves do well in accepting their children.

3. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 10 years ago

Funny as it may seem , I think kids today are very mature, smart, worldly and act like little adults.  It could be a chuckle or scary.  I wonder if parents are totally to blame for it.  Media, school, friends?  In many ways they are missing important childhood years of play and being children.  They are skipping what we had for the most part. The world has swept them up to a fast pace of the 2000's.  They are survivors or will be.

4. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 10 years ago

At times, parents do hope that their children understand how adults feel and react to situation. If a child can understand how adult to react in situation then they will not be naive to believe in things that adults know being not true. We may want our children to act like adults so they will not be dupe easily.

5. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 10 years ago

Since I am a grandparent, I can’t speak for rearing today’s children, but I will say that we didn’t expect our children to be adults. However, we expected them to have manners, to be respectful to their elders, to be courteous and polite to others around them, and to follow the golden rule. At home they could play in the dirt and be kids, but they still had to clean themselves up, make their beds, and wash the dishes. My son is rearing his children the same way. I was a stay-at-home mother, and none of this soccer mom BS was around then. Some of the things I read from child psychologists and self-styled experts seem to think that children should be treated as pets. I think this instills guilt in otherwise responsible parents. I think maybe our attitudes toward child rearing have been skewed by these “experts.”  Children are not pets and should not be treated as such. If they are not taught to accept adult responsibilities when they are young, they will be lost when they have to enter the adult world.

6. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 10 years ago

Expecting a child to mind their manners and be considerate of those around them is very important. That aside some parents do want their children to act like adults and in some cases it boils down to selfishness of the parents. I have noticed that some parents are impatient and do want the children to be less of a bother in certain ways or specific situations. Yet they haven't put in the time and effort it takes to teach the child right from wrong. Some of these parents lack the mental tools to parent in more positive ways that benefit both child and parent, so they just wish that the child would act more like an adult without teaching them how to be a considerate, well-mannered, fun-loving kid. Childhood should not be over scheduled or restricted to preparing for adulthood. Some kids aren't allowed to be kids or taught how to mind their manners.

7. Savio Dawson profile image90
    Savio Dawsonposted 10 years ago

There are two reasons for this:

1. Children follow the examples of their parents and therefore, children who have had parents with a lot of expectations from them, grow up to be like them and in turn have a lot of expectations from their children.

2. The second reason is acceptance. When we are happy and full of love, we overlook our child's mistakes but when we are in a foul mood, even the smallest of mistakes appear to be a grave error and then the child is at the receiving end. This implies that if we learn to be happy, which depends on the level of acceptance we have for ourselves, then we will automatically accept our children the way they are.

Since, we unintentionally, are hypocrites most of the time, we find it okay to have a foul mood but detest our children having one. So accept and move on!

8. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 10 years ago

Some times it happens but I always prefer not to do it. Taking the childhood from a childhood is very bad as it will never come back again. So i prefer my son to enjoy his childhood at his will but keep a tab on him. Me and my husband never wish him to behave like an adult.
    Thank you for the interesting question here.

9. tuteramanda profile image61
    tuteramandaposted 10 years ago

children should be act like what they should be at their age,act mature too early is not a ideal mode .it will eventually hurt your children

10. profile image0
    MIMI-LOGOSposted 10 years ago

As parents we tend to expect our children to act as adult to keep them from falling in culprits and facing obstacles. However, we forget they are not adults, their level of maturity when it comes to perception is not as ours. We also fail to realize it took us awhile to have the wisdom and revelation we have as adults, so, whilel instilling wisdom, directions, and truth, we must let foolish and folly find its way out of their hearts, and it is a process.

11. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

peeples.....I hear you.  Many parents do put an enormous amount of responsibilities upon their "little ones," and have somewhat unrealistic expectations of children, before they seem old enough and/or mature enough to handle certain things.   I'd have to guess that it is a sign of the times. 
    I accept that kids, in general, continue to come into the world, more and more intelligent and advanced, to say nothing of the speed at which they progress.  As a Great-grandmother, in 2013, children never cease to totally AMAZE me. 
    While I must admit that I hesitate to encourage so much "grown-up," behavior and attitude in very young kids (IMO....under 12)....their parents accuse me of "babying," them. (this is a god-given RIGHT of grandparents!!)
    The world has changed so very much.  Family situations, dynamics & lifestyle are fast-paced, with fuller schedules and attitudes to match.  Pushing and/or rushing a child to be more adult-like, appears to be the way of parenting, today, I suspect, for numerous reasons.
    The reality is, although it appears that kids are "handling" it quite well, I become concerned.  I can't help but feel that too much, too soon, may have some unpleasant repercussions, in the long run.   Is enough thought and consideration being given to nurturing the "child," during the actual child stage?
    Each child is unique, of course and hopefully, parents are attuned to their own child's limits, abilities and emotional wellness.
    Teaching responsibility & independence are vital in raising children properly.  It is just as important for these lessons to be introduced to our children, age & ability appropriate.   I fully appreciate your question, as an acutely aware Mom!  I applaud you as well.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Such profound wisdom, I totally concur with you.

12. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I don't.  Yes, children are raised to bebehave in acceptable adult ways.  As a teacher I role modeled the behaviors you mention.  That's why students loved my classroom.  As students, children were not always able to exhibit those behaviors, but they learned how to deal with the lesser behaviors and what to do to change their attitudes.  It all is in the role models they have at home and in the classroom.  My students were not punished but gently nudged toward the acceptable behaviors.  Was I successful with every child?  No, but the majority of them can learn from good examples.

13. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

Those parents with said expectations should not be parents, at LEAST until the ead up and internalize a little Piaget, and the basics of human development.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A+++, well put!

14. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13221561_f260.jpg

All this depends upon the parents' educational, socioeconomic, & familial background.  Educated parents from solidly middle, upper middle, & upper class backgrounds realize that children will be children & don't expect children to be mini-adults.  They encourage their children to have an explorative childhood.  Although they motivate their children to be better people, such children still have the license to be children. As a subcategory to this, parents of small families want their children to be children & provide their children with myriad avenues to be normative children.  Parents of 1-2 children usually don't expect their children to be adults, they know that they are children.

Less educated parents from lower, working, & lower middle class backgrounds are more harsher in their parenting practices.  They see their children as little adults(in the negative sense).  They demand, even expect their children to be adults as soon as possible.  Children in such environments assume adult responsibilities early in life.  They oftentimes are expected to be adults to help parents w/their responsibilities.  Also, these parents have large to very large families which means that children in these circumstances have shorter childhoods in order to help supplement their parents' meager lifestyle.  Poorer parents aren't indulgent in terms of giving their children normative childhoods.  They feel that normative childhoods are luxuries, oftentimes an unrealistic ones. They want their children to be adults & are quite unforgiving if the latter misses the adult mark.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)