Have you ever been inspired by a sad story?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. anusha15 profile image84
    anusha15posted 10 years ago

Have you ever been inspired by a sad story?

Stories have happy and sad beginning and/or endings. Stories can be inspiring despite of the mood they create or genre they belong. Have you come across a sad story which has inspired you? Which story was it? Why and how did it inspire you despite of being sad? What did the inspiration lead to?
    (Disclaimer: Image from Pixabay - open domain images) 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8234669_f260.jpg

2. pjoee profile image53
    pjoeeposted 10 years ago

Hello,
    No! I don't think i ever got inspired by a sad story. But it teaches me a lesson how not to do things (so that my life doesnt end up beign sad tongue). The most common sad story i must say is a love failure. When i watch such movies or hear my friends talk about their broken relationships, I learn lessons there. What I confer from them is how not to messen up things in my relationship and how to correct things if at all a grave mistake happens. smile smile

anusha15posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I agree, after all those who learn from other people's mistakes, will make their own "original" mistakes smile If we keep repeating each others' mistakes, it would be kind of re-inventing the wheel big_smile

3. profile image0
    Kathleen Kerswigposted 10 years ago

Many, many times...
    I've heard so many people share their stories about struggling with addiction, the losses they accumulated, and the many different ways they found to break the cycle of drug and alcohol dependency. They are my inspiration. They are my lessons in perseverance. They are the reason I keep doing what I do to help people find a solution. Everyone has a story, regardless of whether they are addicted to drugs or not. Everyone has a story to tell and I will always listen because I always learn something from those willing to share with me.

Great question! Thanks.

1. Wakerra profile image73
      Wakerraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I must agree everyone goes through a personal struggle in life.  Have you ever seen "The Story Trek" on BYU TV?  I watched a couple stories from that, and it inspired me to create a hub over my own dark pit of life.

2. anusha15 profile image84

The sad stories that inspire you have good endings. smile Struggles to fight the weaknesses which are of our own creations can be tough! And when one comes out in flying colors, it's like the bright rainbow after the stormy rain smile

3. profile image0
      Kathleen Kerswigposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't seen that but I love the fact that you were inspired. Our difficult challenges can be used for good when we share with other people. We find solutions that way. Good for you!

4. Wakerra profile image73
    Wakerraposted 10 years ago

I LOVE a good sad story!  As hard as bittersweet can be, I love them so.  I guess it depends on how bittersweet it is...

Yobi the Five Tailed Fox is by far, at this moment, my favorite.  Sometimes its more the little stories that inspire me, like Molly Grue's character in The Last Unicorn.  "And where were you twenty years ago? Ten years ago? Where were you when I was new? When I was one of those innocent young maidens you always come to? How dare you! How dare you come to me now, when I am this!"  Once a fair maiden, ran off with Captain Cully, seeking adventure, a hero at her side that she could ride off into the sunset with, only to find it nothing more than a dream.  Her once fair complexion reduced to rags as she was now more of a maid than a maiden.

I would say the inspirations have become something more, but I can't say I've managed to accomplish any big ideas from them.  I just get really moved.  Sometimes I can transfer sad themes into my writing, but those really don't go beyond 1-on-1 online RPs.  And the instances are few and far between, as too much drama kills a story rather quickly.

Story writers would find inspiration in anything and everything! big_smile I agree, you have to be "moved" yourself in order to create something which can move others. Big ideas or not, inspirations which touch your heart and drive you are really worthwhile

5. jjackson786 profile image80
    jjackson786posted 10 years ago

"The Notebook". It inspires me time and time again to value my partner, always make new memories and celebrate old ones, and never waste an opportunity to tell someone that I love them.

I read a brief plot of "The Notebook". Wow. Best answer choice for this one is tough, but I completely relate to your answer... each sad story reminds me of being grateful for things I've which the characters of story don't have or lose. Gr8 ans smile

6. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 10 years ago

Sad stories have sad themes, but there are usually instances of contrast to the sadness.  "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens is my earliest memory of a sad story -- sad because of Oliver's abusive experience, and the general theme of cruelty toward children.  Yet it was inspiring--Oliver's strength to survive, and few instances of assistance from kind adults.  There is always some good in the bad.

You're right, and the good in the bad is the basis of inspiration, it gives us strength to keep going... Sometimes I compare and tell myself that I'm in a much better situation and so I shouldn't give up before I've tried my best smile Amazing Answer!

7. epigramman profile image59
    epigrammanposted 10 years ago

Yes ... when I think about my love life .....
    lake erie time ontario canada 12:14pm

Thanks for responding.. and sorry about bringing back some sad memories sad but if they're inspiring too, I guess it's okay?

8. jada67 profile image43
    jada67posted 10 years ago

I have been inspired  by a lot of sad stories but lately, it has been about the murders of our young children. The Trayvon Martin story has made me realized that laws have to change to protect the lives of innocent children. Jada67

I'm sorry for your loss. And I respect you for the great cause you're working for. You've channelized your feelings in great way.

9. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

Hello anusha15. Yes, many times. The challenge at times is seeking the expression of what is inspired with words. Then I seek poetry.

tim

Hi. You're right, "seeking the expression of what is inspired with words" can be really challenging. Thanks for responding.

10. wayne barrett profile image74
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

Yes I have. The story in question is actually a great American classic; The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
    My family was part of that Dust-bowl migration from Oklahoma to California, so needless to say, I grew up a poor boy in the San Joaquin Valley of California and was accustomed to being referred to as an "Okie."
    I decided at a young age that I wanted to accomplish something with my life and I did, but it was a struggle. It seemed I could never break the stigma of my past, and to be quite honest, I was sometimes embarrassed about it in certain circles. It wasn't until I read the Grapes of Wrath that I really gained a true understanding of where my family had come from and what they had to do just to survive. Steinbecks story inspired me to not only continue with my endeavor to make my family better, but it actually helped me to become proud of who I am and where I have come from. Grapes of Wrath was truly a sad story, but it has been the most inspiring story of my life and will continue to be as long as I draw breath.

1. Ruby H Rose profile image61
      Ruby H Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A lot of books by John Steinbeck moved me in some of the same ways.  I too, can relate.  Yet, I only truly admire the sad stories that tell of the happy living in spite of the pain, walking through the pain.  Harder to do and say sometimes

2. anusha15 profile image84

I checked out the mentioned novel's plot. Hats off to your positivity and efforts. When I asked abt sad stories, I didn't think of real ones, in which one is involved so deeply. Loved your answer smile You inspired me too.

11. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

Actually the impact of sad stories are not inspiration but desperation. But still we may have some sort of inspiration at times.  I had the feeling of an inspiration to write beautiful stories after reading the best selling Indian novel "I too had a love story".  Though it was a painful experience of a lover the story conveyed and readers immersed in utter pain or sadness, the inspiration it gave me was to write such kind of works. It also taught me the value of true love and care.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)