What the difference between having a high level of self-confidence and being con

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What the difference between having a high level of self-confidence and being conceited?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8237901_f260.jpg

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 10 years ago

I think confidence is a good thing, and having a lot of confidence certainly helps towards achieving things as a very confident person won't worry about failure. A very confident person can usually make others confident and give sound advice, especially in the work place. Confident people are good motivators in a general sense because they tend to be very optimistic and successful. The true confident person is generally a popular and fun person to be around.
    A conceited person is different in the sense that they are more worried about themselves as an individual and their own personal gain. Vainity is at the helem of a conceited person and they are arrogant rather than confident. Showing off rather than achieving. Conceited people tend to be self obsessed; always talking about themselves.
    In a nut shell confident people normally have an essence about them and draw people.They are out going and popular; successful and optimistic.
    Conceited people tend to have a haughtiness about them and repel people. They are vain and excessivey proud; self absorbed and down right boring.

1. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

while I do agree about the optimism and success aspects, I would argue that there are introverts who are also confident in themselves, they just aren't outgoing or overtly social creatures smile

3. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

A high level of confidence is great for any individual gives a reason to get up each day and achieve your goals with ease, conceited is someone  with a different character. Most proud and thinks very high of himself the kind who feels all is splendid always without the knowledge of caring of another

4. mathira profile image78
    mathiraposted 10 years ago

'I can do it', this is high level confidence. 'Only i can do it' is downright conceit.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Totally succinct and to the point!

5. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Most people who are confident are not boastful about it - you can see their confidence in their actions, but they don't feel a need to brag.  Those who brag or exaggerate are the ones I would see as being conceited. The types that have to always be sure to tell you just how great they are - in case you haven't noticed enough lately wink. Conceited people also seem to love to talk about one subject only - themselves.

Some people don't know the difference though between confidence and arrogance/conceit. I've been accused of arrogance before simply for acknowledging a compliment about being intelligent.  Someone said something to the effect of "you really know your stuff" and I said, yes thank you, I believe knowledge is power or something to that effect and got a retort of "arrogant much?" - Really? For acknowledging I have a brain and enjoy using it? geez. lol. 

One thing I have noticed, and of course it's not everyone, but I sometimes think women are considered arrogant or conceited more than men for simply acknowledging their confidence.  It's like it's more socially acceptable for men to display it or something without being considered conceited.  Fortunately, I mostly keep company with both men and women who can tolerate the fact that I can be a confident person and not shrink back smile.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great answer, totally agree with you. There seems to be a double standard of the genders regarding self-confidence.Men w/ a high level of self-confidence tend to be praised while their female counterparts tend to be denigrated & called the b&

6. New Understanding profile image59
    New Understandingposted 10 years ago

Conceited to me is someone that is somewhat narcissistic and egocentric, believing they are better and elevated above others and puts people off. Where self-confidence is an inner knowing you can do whatever the task and allows inclusion of others. People are drawn to self confident people, no one is drawn to the conceited but they themselves.

7. Jlbowden profile image86
    Jlbowdenposted 10 years ago

Having a high level of confidence, is definitely a good thing and can literally go hand in hand, with having a high level of enthusiasm. In turn this in itself can be very contagious, in the way that it can only encourage individuals.

Particularly people you have close interactions with. Such as co-employees. On the other hand, if you are somewhat conceited and it obviously shows, from what I like to refer as..."Loving Yourself", or basically bragging too much about how good, or how confident you are, that you are an authority, or basic know it all in the field.

Then this can be a quick turn-off to others that you have relationships with already. You can lose friends quickly, if you are somewhat conceited. Whereas I believe people are attracted to individuals who are very confident and have an overall great demeanor.

This is what I have learned along the way, because I have a friend like this, who sometimes you have to walk away from...can be very irritating, to say the least, when you are a know-it-all!

8. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Wonderful, Wonderful Wonderful question. You should have a level of conceit for asking it!!
    Fun huh? Pride is spoken and written of as bad. And yet Pride is demanded by us parents from our children. So cool. "Be confident in all you do, and with your wife second guess" A "good" Christian will tell you pride is a sin. A "smart" Christian will tell you if you are not proud of what you do, do not do it.
    Conceit is amazing. In high school dating we used it a lot. Then I found out that the conceited girls were the most insecure. And in that I found many good girls who were friends. Because I was insecure also and we could talk.
    Conceit is a mechanism for those who are hiding something else. It is not of the ego as so many think. It is a total facade. It is a force field. Watch a child play by herself. Wow. Her imaginary friends will be good and bad. She will associate with the good (assuming things are good) and be conceited in her victory over bad. She will learn conceit all by herself.
    Think this strange way: Conceit helps us through the grieving process. When we are ready to crumble into a small ball; conceit comes and lifts us into something better than the rest. "head up girl, act mature".
    But conceit is not of us. It is of others. Conquering our imaginary playmates.
    Self confidence is not self esteem. It comes from hard work. It come from the drudgery of doing it over and over and over again in pain and in the rain. It is earned through sweat, blood and tears. It Semper Fidelis. Hoorah!
    I live in what is the largest military town in the world. (well outside of it) Us old folks own our homes. Those young folks own our souls. They are spit polished and straight backed. They call me sir. They are self confident and I am confident in them.
    They are not all smart and who I want my daughter to marry. But they serve me and my country. And we are self confident in them.
    Oh yes. The major difference Between our soldiers who are confident and me who is conceited is hard work and earning it. By the Bible it is known as false pride what I have. And Great pride in our youth.

1. Emanate Presence profile image69
      Emanate Presenceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is pride and there is pride. It is not the word, but the energy behind it that makes the difference.

9. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 10 years ago

There is a story of a man who was given an award for Humility. The Humility ribbon was ceremoniously handed to him in front of his peers. But later it had to be taken from him --  because he wore the ribbon on his jacket!

Conceit is as others have said, a pride of confidence that demands attention and recognition. Such need for attention only comes from ego.

Whereas confidence in its core is quiet strength. It is egoless. It is complete in itself and needs no recognition. It is not threatened by the success of others and can celebrate their victories and joys as if they were their own. It never feels less of itself, however it may be attacked or accused. Because it is self-complete.

It can be a knowing without knowing how one knows. Confidence of this type can be brought out in various ways, such as through choosing to trust beyond what one sees, to trust what one feels and knows, to trust in who and what one is.

A person's outward behavior may be extrovert or introvert, but real confidence runs beneath the outer appearance like a river.

Real confidence (distinguished from bravado or a mask to hide insecurity) sometimes flows from a person's inner being, from stillness. I have experienced this a few times, in situations where my personality was overtaken by confidence that was bigger than me. I would not boast of it because it was nothing based in my personality, where boasting is done.

It is useful to inquire into and understand such things as 'When does confidence becomes conceit and what is behind each?', for personal evolution.

10. profile image0
    Michelle Widmannposted 10 years ago

To me, confidence is a positive trait. It's not getting down on yourself and having the ability to give yourself the pep talks to get through the things you find difficult to do. Confidence is also knowing you're good at something and not being afraid to say you're good at it.

To cross the line into being conceited, you would have to tell everyone you're good at the task and allow that thought to make you feel as though you're better than others. A confident person may give someone else a chance and help them to be just as good as you are, or be humble about his/her skills. A conceited person would be narcissistic and hog all of the attention - bragging to everyone about their knowledge and skill.

11. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

Humility.

You can be highly self-confident, but humble. If you are highly self-confident and in my face about how wonderful you are - you are conceited.

Some of the most confident people I know, have the most humility - they know they are awesome, but they don't need to tell everyone!

12. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

Confidence means you believe in yourself. You are fearless and you can handle any situation that arises. A conceited person believes everything revolves around them. They think only of themselves. Their favorite words are "I" and "me". They talk almost exclusively about themselves. They are obsessed with their looks or their abilities.

1. Emanate Presence profile image69
      Emanate Presenceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have you heard the definition of faith as being Divine self-confidence?

How do you feel about it?

13. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The difference between simple self-confidence and conceit is ego.

The conceited person can have high self-confidence, but ego makes it conceit.

Ego is selfishness. Ego is "look at me." Ego is vulnerable and needy. Ego is separateness. Ego is the false, mortal self -- the mask drawn over the true self's spiritual eyes.

Confidence with humility is entirely different from the conceit. You can have perfect confidence and utter humility. These two traits (confidence and humility) are the foundation of every hero.

In every victim, there is a perpetrator who hungers to lash out. Within every perpetrator is a victim who hurts. This is part of the dichotomy which is ego. This is at the crux of conceit. In fact, it is the crux of everything which is evil.

When someone becomes utterly selfless -- entirely generous without thought of benefit -- they are heroic and admired. Even if they do their good deeds anonymously, they are heroic and admirable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)