What makes some people QUITE COMFORTABLE with the concept of death?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (34 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What makes some people QUITE COMFORTABLE with the concept of death?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8257030_f260.jpg

2. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I don't know if anyone is really "comfortable" with the concept of death. I think certain religions make people feel that they should be comfortable with this concept and they therefore say they are. However, when it comes right down to it, I think everyone has a tiny inkling of fear. It's natural to have fear of the unknown.

With that being said, I think those who are more comfortable than others are because they have a "real" belief in the afterlife and that their existence will go on. For others who are comfortable, it could be because they are content with the life they lived. And, yet some may be comfortable with death's concept because they are so unhappy or in pain that any other experience would be better than what they are currently living.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Clearly people who commit suicide have more fear of (life) than they do of death. Ill patients who desire euthanasia also view death as a "release" from a painful existence. As you stated some see death as a (positive alternative) to their lives.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

What makes one more comfortable with the ending of this life is the afterlife that awaits those who have accepted Jesus as their savior. There is nothing to fear if you know where you are going.

And yet many of us Christians are praying for "recovery" from illness night and day to (avoid) going through death's door. I admire those who call funerals "home goings" and who recall funny stories, laugh, play music, and celebrate "transitions".

2. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

seeking recovery from illness through prayer is a normal activity for anyone who believes their work in the physical world is not finished. however, this is because we do not know the work to be assigned to us when we reside in God's kingdom.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

I believe the first step is reaching a point where one accepts (reality). Death is the great equalizer! Whether one is a multi-billionaire or sleeping under a freeway pass they are both going to die. Knowing one has a finite amount of time theoretically should motivate them to make the most out of life. One could argue that without death life would be less valuable. Abundance of anything makes it less valuable. If everyone has it then it's not worth much.
    The next step to becoming comfortable is having a "spiritual connection" with something bigger than one's self, God, afterlife, or the belief that there really is no such thing as "real death". Our (spirit) simply transitions to another place. Our bodies are nothing more than the tool or housing we use to get around the planet.
    Always having (something to look forward to) is the final step. If one believes in heaven or a place where they will reunite with loved ones who preceded them in death it removes a lot of the fear.
    There are others who believe in reincarnation so they are fine with the idea of coming back as another human being or possibly an animal or plant. The overriding thing for each person who is "comfortable" with death is: "They don't believe death is the end!"

5. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I would also add that sometimes being around death a lot makes you more comfortable with it, at least in my case.  Death is a natural transition and the more you are exposed to it, the more real and less scary it becomes. I became rather desensitized to the fear of it, by simply being around it.  It's not the death that scares me, it's the thought that I might suffer beforehand that does.  We have a lot of cancer in one side of my family - a particularly drawn out heinous way to leave this life. I don't fear leaving as much as I fear staying in that condition or otherwise full of pain and out of my mind.  I hope to be active, healthy and just go peacefully when the time comes.  I've lived a great life and I hope to go with no real regrets whenever my time comes.

6. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 10 years ago

Faith; Christianity's promise. Insight gained from Buddhism: all suffering is caused by attachment, and all things must pass.

7. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

I am with CS I don't fear death, only suffering a horrible one.
    That I would no longer be here pretty much puts an end to fear and anxiety.
    I will die one of these days and that is just the way it is, I accept that and it doesn't trouble me.
    I have no faith and don't expect to "move on" I expect to decompose and return to the elements, although I want to be cremated.

Death Joke;
    A man goes to his doctor to get the results from some tests.
    The doctor has a very serious, almost grim demeanor as he thumbs through the papers again and again and finally looks the man in the eyes and tells him "I'm very sorry to have to tell you that you have a life ending problem and there is nothing that we can do about it."
    man "are you telling me that I am going to die?"
    Doc "Yes that is what I'm saying. I've already gotten 3 opinions from other doctors and they all agree with my diagnoses."
    man "How long do I have?"
    Doc "It is a very hard call but we believe between 6-8 months."
    man "Well certainly in this day and age there is something that can be done,, he pleads!"
    Doc "Are you familiar with the health spa up on the mountain highway?"
    man "Yes I know of it, I've driven by it many times."
    Doc "I suggest that you go 4-6 times a week and have a mud bath for several hours."
    Man "That's it, that will prolong my life?"
    Doc "Prolong your life,, no it won't extend your life. But it will get you used to the dirt."

8. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

I think some, like myself, just accept that death is not the end so why fear it? It is a transition not an end. I can't say that I want to die at this point, as I'm sure most that do not fear death do not either, but if it happens, it happens. Why worry or fight it? It's inevitable for us all so I think that some people simply honor death instead of fearing it.

9. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

i have to agree with ChristinS.
    I worked many years with Hospice and found that most people have a basic fear of the pain that is (or can be) associated with dying. Most people would prefer to live well into old age to share more of their family's lives with them as long as they are in good health and don't become burdens on them.
    Personally, the only fear i have about death is dying at home and no-one finding my indoor pets before they starve to death.   
    It is a natural part of life, and inevitable for all of us.  This is why i find it so hard to understand why people have such a need to amass great wealth at the expense of others.
    Death has nothing to do with 'religious' beliefs. We all will return to the spirit world we came from. 
    I do not believe that anyone is ever "comfortable" with the concept of death in spite of their assertions.

Do you believe someone who commits suicide was afraid of dying?
      I honestly believe there are people who aren't afraid to die. Usually when someone mentions the "spirit world" it's tied to a religious/metaphysical point of view of a higher power. :-)

2. d.william profile image73
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ds:those who commit suicide R more afraid of living than dying. Nothing is absolute in statement or in fact. Spirituality, or belief in an afterlife  have nothing 2 do with religion.

3. taburkett profile image59

d.william-many individuals have accepted that their last day is on its way. The individual knows that it is impossible to escape this one-way trip. That does not mean that people do not want to live, but they have accepted their trip to God's kingdom

4. d.william profile image73

tar: U may B right 2 an extent.When life becomes 2 unbearable 4 those in dire emotional/physical pain & choose 2 end their own misery,i am sure they would prefer 2 B alive & happy rather than constant pain=fear of living outweighs fear of  dy

10. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 10 years ago

Like some other answers here, being around, or knowing people who have died brings us a little closer to understanding death, accepting that this is part of the human process. This causes a person to see the reality, that we aren't here forever. A person who lives in fear of death, or any other type of fear, is not really living...so let's live while we can. Not fearing death, is what makes the concept of it more acceptable.

1. d.william profile image73

excellent way of putting it.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

d.william,  Thank you!

11. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

None of us are promised tomorrow and we know we will not live forever.  With faith that this is not our last stop makes facing our final hour bearable.

1. taburkett profile image59

you are so correct. the tasks awaiting us in God's kingdom are unknown until we enter its gates.

12. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

The reality that every one born is immediately placed into a one-way trip on this earth.
    Understanding that the physical life will end, the individual progresses to acceptance that life is a daily chore and requires diligence every second of the day.
    When the individual discovers the spirit of the afterlife, they easily view death as just the physical segment of their total life.
    When you follow Jesus, you will reside with God when you are no longer found in your physical form.
    The righteous spirit shall reign forever and ever.

13. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

Some would say, "faith in an afterlife," but that is certainly not the reason I became comfortable with, or lost my fear of death.   It came about from an experience in which I was certain that I would be dead within the next few hours.   When you've lived through the certainty - in your mind - that there is no way out and you are as good as dead then, after a lot of travail, you eventually accept it.

That's what happened to me.  With acceptance came the realization that I could do nothing.  With acceptance came an inner peace.

As it was, I did survive.  But from thereon the actual fear of death left me. 

This is not to say that I do not have some trepidation about any pain the dying process might incur.   No one looks forward to pain.   But as far as death is concerned, there has to be -logically - either nothing or something.   If there is nothing, then there's nothing to worry about.  If there is something...well...it could be the start of one terrific adventure.

1. d.william profile image73

also tru 4 those of us who have had a near death experience.that glimpse of the afterlife is so compelling it makes us look forward 2 a permanent transition there. As U state the only fear is in the pain that may be associated with that transition

14. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

I only have one rule, 'If your problem has a solution, you don't need to worry about it and if your problem doesn't have a solution worrying isn't going to help! '
    Me worrying about death isn't going to save me. Why spoil the present worrying about the future.

1. lupine profile image65

You are an "amazing thinker". Like I commented here, if you live fearing death, then you are not really living to your full potential..

15. Lee Tea profile image84
    Lee Teaposted 10 years ago

An understanding of happenstance beyond our limited human rationale.

Einstein's conservation of energy demonstrates how matter can neither be created nor destroyed.  We are matter.  We have always been, and we will always be.  We will change form, but we will never just "poof" out of existence.  We will go on - forever.

With that answered, I become more aware of what I can do with my body to actually, physically change the world around me while I'm here and have the ability to, have the eyes and ears and hands to, for the little while that we get to be here.  I also more fully understand now the importance of ridding myself of fear and irrationalities, so that my energy may be primed and ready to capably transition into - well, whatever comes next.

Being well can only better the universe for my eternal continuation through it - which Einstein has graciously shown is a given.  Because of this, I have no worries of death, and it seems to be a useful truth as it has a way of making my every moment more content.

16. praveenniru profile image67
    praveenniruposted 10 years ago

I believe that the ultimate place where a human being reach is the place of death. I feel that after such a long journey in life the place of peace is death and I am comfortable with this concept of death because it all depends upon our deeds what we have made in our life time only thing is that the responsible on us should be completed who are depended on us then we will not be afraid of the concept.

17. Anna Haven profile image72
    Anna Havenposted 10 years ago

I  think that the fear is lessened when there is a belief that life is just a part of a much longer spiritual journey.

18. WiccanSage profile image92
    WiccanSageposted 10 years ago

My religion gives me no reason to fear it; in Wicca it's accepted as a natural part of the  life cycle.

I don't know if we're born again, I don't know if death is the end-- the endless sleep. Whatever. Doesn't seem like there's any point in fretting about the inevitable, I try to focus on living my life.

The only thing is, life is amazing and I enjoy the ride so much, I hate to cut it short-- I hope it lasts.

19. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

I have heard about an old village woman who called his son one day and told to collect some wood for her cremation. Since the woman was doing her daily chores and looked quite hale and hearty, the son was amazed and asked his mother whether she was joking ? The woman told him to comply as she told. The son, though visibly apprehensive did as his mother wished. The  woman again told his son to bring a cow and a Brahman ( a  priest ). The son complied with that too. The woman made her son donate the cow to the priest as was the rite as per scripture. Then she told her daughter in law to bring a little water of sacred river Ganga. When Ganga water was brought to her, she drank it and chanted GOD's name and in that instant breathed her last and departed from the world. As she was a simple village woman but a very pious one, she knew her death beforehand and was entirely free from the fear of death or in your words quite comfortable with the concept of death. This is only one instance but there are too many relating to ordinary looking human beings who embraced death with all dignity. If you go on researching about the matter, a lot of such stuff will be available in various websites. Besides this, some very enlightened beings also knew their death beforehand and were not scared of it at all. Some of them even breathed their last on their own in deep meditation. It is also true that a firm belief in God and afterlife made people very comfortable with death. I have seen many comments here and elsewhere where atheists claimed themselves fearless in the event of death. However, I have not come across a life story/ies of an atheist or atheists who faced death with calmness or who anticipated their death beforehand. So it is difficult to assume that they would be comfortable with death. As for myself, I view death as a last sleep in my body in the same manner as the daily sleep in which we remain quite happy and do not want to be disturbed. So when I looked at death or the last sleep, I assume it as an happy state of being in which nobody would be capable of waking us up and we would remain undisturbed and perhaps quite peaceful too. This is my vision of death and this has made me quite comfortable with the concept of death. So bereft of this fear in my mind, I look upon the world and the whole existence with a greater penetration and mirth and enjoy the course of my life with a clear understanding and cheerfulness. To me, life is more meaningful than it appears to us

1. lupine profile image65

I like your last sentence...life is more meaningful than it appears to us. You are right, and everyone would live much better if they could envision this. There is much more to everything than just what we physically see.

2. Harishprasad profile image71
      Harishprasadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lupine, it is so nice of you brother to have commented so appreciatively. Thank  you very much.

3. lupine profile image65

Harishprasad, You a very welcome... it is no bother at all. I enjoy interacting with insightful people like you. Have a great day!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)