Are you worried about what happens after you die?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 65 discussions (92 posts)
  1. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 10 years ago

Are you worried about what happens after you die?

I have two fears for when I die:  I'll basically cease to exist, have no consciousness, etc.  Or, that there is an afterlife and I'll learn the meaning of life, which could be devastating if I handled life wrong!

2. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 10 years ago

If you think you're handling life wrong, change it, don't worry. Personally, I do not worry about what happens after I die. There are already many worries (good and bad) that come to us just by living smile

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I am not worried, for I know there is a heaven waiting on me after I pass away from this life. This is a great thing to know.

4. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 10 years ago

No........................................................................

5. Dreamhowl profile image93
    Dreamhowlposted 10 years ago

I'm not really worried. I can't say I know exactly what to expect, but I believe in an afterlife and don't feel worried about it.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

No, I have no worries. My faith gives me great comfort.

7. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 10 years ago

There is so much to worry about in everyday life that I have no worries at all about dying.  Although I believe in reincarnation I have no idea what happens after we die. I am not worried about it nor do I fear it.

8. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

I am not worried for myself.  I have been there and have come back and it is wonderful over there.  I didn't say up there because it is not outside of me.  I know that I have done some negative things while in this life and will probably pay for them in the next not knowing then what I did in this or the last life to cause me to go through some more lessons until I get it right.  I just don't want to go repeating them too many times.  That is kind of a small fear that I have...repeating lessons until they are learned.  My other fear is the pain before dying.

1. Lor's Stories profile image59
      Lor's Storiesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your idea is so mysterious yet wonderful.
      I'm not afraid. I think of heaven just beyond my heart.
      I do wish I had your certainty. I don't think I've been to that inner part of me.
      Or maybe when I was in a different state of mind.

2. manatita44 profile image70
      manatita44posted 10 years agoin reply to this

A sincere answer Lor's. If it helps, read my piece on how to meditate; find a good prayer circle; offer gratitude to your Higher Self; Love ... Perhaps you do all these. Patience; persevere

3. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just know that everything is as it should be and that you are learning the lessons that you chose to learn.  Pray they tell you is important for asking. Meditation/listening is more important than prayer.  God said he already knows what we need.

9. shwetha123 profile image60
    shwetha123posted 10 years ago

Life after death???? Most of the people in this world facing lots of problems in their life now. They do not have time to think about the life after death. They are so much busy to earn their bread and butter that they do not have to time to think about the life after death.

Death is the universal truth of life. Then why should we fear about death. In my opinion when we die at least after that we do not have to worry about bread and butter.

Its all about my own view about life and life after that.

10. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Christ followers have fears about dieing, but not what happens afterward. Scripture is very clear that there is a heaven.  The way there is belief that Jesus as God, died for the sins of mankind, then rose again. Therefore we have forgiveness of sins, in order for man to be unified with God forever.  There is a little more, but that's it in a nutshell.   Believe me when there is faith during a time of grieving for someone who dies there is a great deal more peace than when there is not. 
    I was at a funeral 3 days ago, for a dear friend.  It was truly a celebration of life and how well my friend lived.

1. profile image53
      Nikki Heathposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is instilled in us since childhood when we go to church how we're sinners etc etc. and that all of us are going to hell. I don't believe that.  It's a misinterpretation of the scriptures from arrogant, mortal clergy who wanted power and control.

11. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

No...I'm almost looking forward to it.   I know we are immortal beings having a Earth experience.   I'm enjoying the adventure.   But like a trip into the wilderness, the journey can tire.   

Don't misunderstand me.  I love my adventure 'down here' on Planet Earth.  It has provided me with so many opportunities to find out what makes me happy and what does not, what is necessary and what is not.   I still look forward to doing 'great things' for the desire to do so is still in me.   But dying...   No, it will be just Part Two (or maybe part 1001 or two) of a never ending story.

1. IPD profile image60
      IPDposted 10 years agoin reply to this

the funn part about  learning the ways of life an money ! is that once you learn to earn many streams of income you become wealth visit instantpaydaynetwork.com/maxout an get started making money online

12. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Not at all. I've died so many times, it's rather "old hat."

What's really interesting is the fact of starting to remember it all. The less attached you are to this body, the easier it becomes. You find that you are far older and more invulnerable than you ever thought possible. That's the child of God part.

Yes, you will pay if you handle it wrong. That's part of life. If you don't take responsibility for not stubbing your toe, then you'll have a big "ouch!"

So, what's the solution?

Simply decide! Decide you want to be part of the big family, again. Decide you want to get closer to God and to follow our more esteemed brother, Yehoshua (Jesus). Decide to love everyone on this planet unconditionally. Be generous and forget about the (ego) self. Then, you'll be doing just fine for the rest of eternity.

13. Bhawna Dixit profile image61
    Bhawna Dixitposted 10 years ago

Thought of dying gives me excitement. I think it will be a fantastic journey with lot to explore. I am more worried about what will happen during lifetime.

14. ladydeonne profile image70
    ladydeonneposted 10 years ago

No.  I know that everything here on earth is ENERGY.   As I am spirit and energy, then I can never be destroyed.  When I lay my physical body down, the essence of me or my spirit will simply go back to the source from which it came.  Knowing this makes me happy!  I do not fear or worry about death, as energy/spirit can never DIE.

1. Dog Ma profile image60
      Dog Maposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen. Couldn't have said it better.

15. profile image53
    Nikki Heathposted 10 years ago

No, I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to it

16. profile image0
    anndangoposted 10 years ago

I'm not worried about what happens after I die. I'll be dead and I don't believe in an afterlife or heaven or hell. But what I do believe is that you 'live' on in the hearts and memories of those you've left behind. The way you lived your life is the way you'll be remembered. If you were a nasty person, that's how people will remember you. If you were a kind, goodhearted person, that's how you'll be remembered.

17. SJLA profile image60
    SJLAposted 10 years ago

Honestly yes and no, I am religious and I hope to no offend anyone here, when I say I believe that there is a better place that waits for us when we leave this world. I am not worried because I believe that I have lived a good life and I think I will be able to pass into a good place when I die. Yet i worry that I am such a busy body that when my time comes I won't go where I am supposed to, because I will be to concerned about my family. That would be me getting trapped here because i want to know what my family would do without me.

18. DommaLeigh profile image60
    DommaLeighposted 10 years ago

Yes I worry. I don't worry about my self because I know where I will be. I worry for the ones I am leaving behind. I have a disabled child/man who I worry will be taken advantage of or put in a home or end up homeless. I worry how they will handle the grief of the lost. I worry my lost will tear the family into wounded fragments like it did to my siblings, when our mother passed away. Since I have never been able to handle death well, I fear that I have not prepared my children and grand children well enough to handle what is only natural and will someday happen (hopefully not for a very long time). My mother drew up a will that was ignored, so I have no way of knowing if my wishes will be carried out. So yes, I worry.

1. Dog Ma profile image60

A living trust has more clout than a will.

2. Lor's Stories profile image59

I understand. I have a disability and after my mom dies I am not having anyone tell me What to do. If I die first I'm not worried. I have  living will.
      After 4 brushes with death next time just step over me and let me rest,

3. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

D, did you ever think of using your writing as a source of guidance for your children?  I'm going to start writing essays and create a little ebook anticipating what issues my daughter might face.  Also, you can record easily w/audacity and a mike

19. baja2013 profile image60
    baja2013posted 10 years ago

I believe in the afterlife. I am afraid of death, but when I think about it my only concern is about my family and what wil hapen with them after I die and not to make big sorrow about my leave smile

20. X-Con profile image68
    X-Conposted 10 years ago

Nope. I'm more worried about what happens when I'm alive. When I'll be dead, I'll be down and out. Nothing really to wore about then...

I thought you would say something like that;)
      I'm not scared. I was just told tonight I'll be in heaven.
      I said" yeah hanging by my thumbs"

21. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 10 years ago

If I said I never worried about what happens after I die, then I would certainly be lying. I could drive myself crazy pondering your question. Yet, today I feel I have grown to accept the truly unknown journey we are all going to take.

I witnessed a most remarkable occurrence yesterday. Our best friend came home from the hospital a few days ago and is on hospice care. He's not expected to live more than just a few days, if that. While visiting him he had his wife call the undertaker who immediately came over. My friend had his wife pour him a Dixie cup of beer and the undertaker had a can of beer. My friend made his own final arrangements, right down to his cremation and the scattering of his ashes. It was a stunning display of finally being at peace with the inevitable. He told my wife he was going home to see his parents again and that it was okay. "To thine own self be true" is the best way I can describe my friend's final moments with the rest of us.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awesome sir. This story gave me chills. God bless him.

2. pagesvoice profile image73
      pagesvoiceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you JThomp42. Although my friend is dying and accepts it fully, it is the rest of us who will deal with his loss. He even had the priest come and administer Last Rites with his grandson ( 5 yrs. old) acting as the Deacon.

3. profile image0

Wow!!

4. Dog Ma profile image60

There in lies the answer.

5. pagesvoice profile image73

Sadly, my friend passed on today after a valiant fight with the beast of cancer. He knows more about this question now than we do. His dog was laying at his feet when he crossed over.

6. profile image0

So, so sorry my friend.

7. pagesvoice profile image73

JThomp42 - Thank you.

8. profile image0

You are very welcome sir!

22. TNT Husky profile image63
    TNT Huskyposted 10 years ago

I like to think of it this way. If I come to accept myself as I am in life, I'll be able to accept myself as I am in death. Whatever may happen, I'll be at peace as long as I do that.

23. profile image50
    jellohelloposted 10 years ago

Maybe you will be reincarnated..............

24. beurswan profile image59
    beurswanposted 10 years ago

No, I am not worried about it because I can't stop it, so I am looking forward doing good deeds in the most possible ways.

25. nirupamatuppari profile image59
    nirupamatuppariposted 10 years ago

No............ I am not worried now  when am living then y should i think about when i die..................................... Niru's

26. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 10 years ago

Without any doubt Yes i am worried. Because I have to answer the questions in the grave asked by the two angels Munkar and Nakeer. The questions will pertain to one's beliefs (Aqaid) and deeds (Amaal), and will be put to every believer as well as non-believer; only infants, the mentally disabled, and those of lesser intellect are exempt from it. The two angels with voices like thunder and eyes like lightening will ask the following questions:

Who is your Lord?
    Who is your Prophet?
    What is your Religion?
    Who is your Imam?

The person is also questioned about his prayers, his fasts, the Holy Pilgrimage (Hajj), Zakat, Khums and his love for the Ahlul Bayt (peace be upon them all). Imam Zainul Abedeen (peace be upon him) says that after the questioning about the beliefs of Islam, the person is questioned about how he spent his life, and also about the way he earned and spent his wealth.

27. samwarez profile image59
    samwarezposted 10 years ago

I do not waste time worrying. After I die it won't matter what happens to the world or the flesh and bones of my body. The world is not going to change over your death or mine. so I don't worry about death but look forward to it when my time comes.

We all think we are so important.
      My mom gets upset when I talk about death.
      Yeah as if that's not going to happen to me ever.

2. davidlivermore profile image92
      davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Quite true.

28. Amadaun profile image60
    Amadaunposted 10 years ago

As long as I can see the man I love again, I don't care what else might be waiting for me.

29. gkerosi profile image64
    gkerosiposted 10 years ago

No. There is no need to worry because according to Christian thinking, we will raised from the dead to go to heaven or hell. This depends on your doings while on earth.

30. profile image55
    ericberchposted 10 years ago

I'm more worried about what happens when I'm alive...

1. manatita44 profile image70
      manatita44posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes.
      There-in lies life's importance

31. pujabhatia profile image58
    pujabhatiaposted 10 years ago

heaven is waiting for us out there. Don't be worry

32. chinared profile image60
    chinaredposted 10 years ago

Sometimes I wonder, I believe in God and Heaven, but who knows, perhaps we were reincarted and life continues as someone else. It's a mystery we won't discover until that time. Live a hearty and giving life now, while we can.

If I need to come back. It should be a cat. But I don't believe in reincarnation.

33. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 10 years ago

I believe it is a journey as well. And the next place has to be better by hopefully not having all the ups and downs, sadness and happiness, sickness and strong health, losing loved ones and gaining a loved one, and so on. I'd prefer just a constant or middle-ground. I hope it is reincarnation in another form elsewhere w/o so many opposite forces.

34. Lunaticbird profile image60
    Lunaticbirdposted 10 years ago

No, I'm not. I prefer to worry about what happens now. The thing I worry about the most is that one day I will wake and I'll realize that I haven't lived yet.

35. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

Worry comes because we have not got it right in life, and we also know this. Knowing this should empower us, as it can inspire us to transform our lower nature. If we do not do it here, we will not do it there. It is foolish to believe that we will die in darkness and awake in Light. I see so many people being miserable, even to the last!
    Worry or fear, also comes because we live without rationale. A dead body will be a dead body. An eternally immortal Soul, will be an eternally immortal Soul. Decide which you are and be bound or free.

36. Dog Ma profile image60
    Dog Maposted 10 years ago

No, there is plenty of proof that there is life after death and it is for all who die. I don't believe there is hell and I don't believe just a certain fraction of the human race will go. We all pass over.

37. profile image51
    jean singletonposted 10 years ago

yes i am because i want my children  2 be taken care of when i:m gone.

38. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image61
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 10 years ago

Not in the slightest. I think we're like butterflies. Our body is a cocoon, and when we die, we are naturally released into our true forms. There is nothing to fear in death. We all go to God no matter how we have carried out our lives. You see, there are good people who do evil things, but they do these thing in response to their environment and experiences. Heaven and hell are Earthly concepts. If you do evil things, you are punished in life. If you are a good person, eventually, you succeed in life. Death is a natural progression.

39. Tinsky profile image91
    Tinskyposted 10 years ago

I am not afraid.  My body will go back into the earth to nourish the creatures and plants that have given me nourishment during my life.  I didn't care or don't have a clue as to what happened before I was born apart from what I have learnt in history. (And I'm sure a lot of that is skewed.) So, why should I live life, focusing on death or the nothingness that may great me? I do know through science that the atoms that make me whole will be dispersed and spread out to become other things. This gives me comfort. I focus on now, living my life to the best of my ability.  I'm not perfect, but I work on improving each day.

1. cherryseeds profile image60
      cherryseedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

so where do you think all of your mind, thoughts and conscience will go? will they all be destroyed as well?

40. resmyrobin profile image53
    resmyrobinposted 10 years ago

Living in this world is more difficult. And I have died many times throughout my life period. Those times strengthen me to fight with the adverse conditions to live. I am interested to know what will be happened after life. I believe in life after death and I like to do so. And hope, I would get a better life!

Last year I had to have brain surgery or die. I was scared and sad. The night before my surgery my little nephew called to ask if I was coming over.
      I had to say no. What if I never saw him again? But if I did die, I'd find a way to be with him,

41. Lor's Stories profile image59
    Lor's Storiesposted 10 years ago

I'm not afraid.
    Things are tough here on earth for so so many.
    I look forward to getting rid of this tired frame of mine.
    I believe I'll be surrounded by angels and that God will always be the center of everything.
    I want to converse with the Saints and with Christ. I really want to live in the heart of God.
    I hope there is a heaven because if there isn't, I'll make one.

1. MSGolden51 profile image76
      MSGolden51posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can't hope that there is a heaven. You have to know, chose Jesus today accept him, call on him. Get. In the word of God find out what it says about heaven and hell.

42. Martin-ddp profile image81
    Martin-ddpposted 10 years ago

No need to worry. There is a lot more to this life and after life that we will never know about untill we die. I could try and give some answers but they would be all guess work. Just like anyone else who claims they know what is going on. But just look at it this way It all started somewhere and it is all going somewhere. Plus don't worry about how you handle life. Once you do your best thats all that matters.

43. ercramer36 profile image92
    ercramer36posted 10 years ago

No because I will be with Jesus forever because I have repented of my sins and placed my faith in him to save me.  Why do we need to be saved?  The Bible is clear that we are all sinners and fall short of God's standard.  It goes as far to say that there is no one good, no not one in the book of Psalms and the book of Romans.  God is holy and must punish sin.  The Bible tells us that the wages of sin is eternal death.  That is why Jesus came to earth to lay down his life for you and me.  Jesus was fully God and fully man.  Think about it, God shed his blood for you to be saved.  He would rather be beaten and crucified on a cross than to spend eternity without you and me.  He offers forgiveness for our sins and adoption into the family of God.  However, the Bible is also clear that if you do not place your faith in Christ, you will be sent to hell.

"Whoever believes in the Son (Jesus) has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." John 3:36

I urge you if you do not know Christ to come to him before it is too late because life is short and we do not know when we will die.  And once we die, our eternal destination is locked in.

44. profile image53
    neammyja01posted 10 years ago

hello David, honestly am worried, cause after here no body knows whats next. am a christian and believe in Christ, and i strongly believe heaven and hell exists cause sometimes what i see, hear and watch people do just gives me that feeling that after here we are definitely going different places to spend our eternity.

45. avneet sidhu profile image57
    avneet sidhuposted 10 years ago

Oh such an interesting question! But NO.. I am not at all worried about what happens after I die.. After all, we all will die someday because it is the only truth known to us on this earth. Yeah, when I think about death it scares me a little because I don't want to lose my loved ones. My loved ones will cry after I die but they will be fine after sometime. That's what we call life.. and it keeps on moving and moving and moving...

46. DexisView profile image78
    DexisViewposted 10 years ago

No.  I don't worry about what will happen to me after I die.  I have a strong faith and don't believe that this is it for us.  As a mom, I would worry more about what I would miss hear on Earth in my kids lives.

47. profile image72
    grumpiornotposted 10 years ago

I will only worry once I have children because they are your legacy or "existence" once you die. They will have to live in the world we leave for them and they will, in turn, have to leave something to their kids.

But I am in no way worried about me or my personal existence - I "do unto others" and believe that the universal truth of that policy will satisfy any afterlife.

48. David Trujillo profile image52
    David Trujilloposted 10 years ago

I was dead before I was born, so we´ve all gone through a death experience.

I believe death to be a change of body from a physical one to a more ethereal one.

After practicing astral projection for a while, I detached myself from my body several times. So I´m kind of convinced we are not the body we walk in. We are an immortal thought in an eternal search for our God self.

49. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 10 years ago

There are so many things to think about in our present life then why to waste time in thinking about something which will not be a live experience for me. Let God take care of it.

50. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Someone once relieved me of all worries by saying, "I never worry about things over which I have no control."  That being said, my only worry is that there IS an afterlife.  I really don't want to handle THAT unknown.  I'll be satisfied to just cease to exist.  Now if we were talking about the possibilities of existence that was portrayed in the old Star Trek series when the Leonard Nimoy's Spock character's consciousness was preserved in a white glass globe, now there's a different fun scenario.  AND, by the way, neurosciece does not feel that preserving one's cognitive functioning is all that inconceivable.  Perhaps THAT is truly what heaven means - eternal existence of our minds.  Well, geez, this is all great fun, but I better get back to my real work on the face of this planet.  Best to you.  No worries, you have no control over that realm; be happy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)