What does HP want us to do with unpublished Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

What does HP want us to do with unpublished Hubs

I cannot find any guidance on this issue

2. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 10 years ago

Eric, shouldn't it be "What do we want to do with our unpublished hubs?" 

Do we want them published?  Bring them up to HP standard.  I can't think of anything else we would want; or HP would want.  Or am I not thinking?

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When I unpublish there is a highlighted specific statement saying only I can see it. But it clearly is still seen by Hubpages and calculated into scoring. I cannot bring every unfeatured up in a few days so should I delete them until I can?

3. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 10 years ago

Morning Eric.
    To bring these unpublished hubs up to the HP standard, is to bring all your hard research and all your editing of a hub up to a standard that somebody in SF thinks is good. I have deleted almost 50% of my hubs, which had taken me a lot of time and effort to get them to a standard and to a quality that I find respectful. I'm not saying that all my hubs are the best thing since chocolate was invented, but in my own opinion they aren't bad and I will say I've read a lot worse.The hubs that I have deleted are in a folder where when the time is right I will publish them on another site . The thing is Eric it comes down to a person(s) setting their own standard which are different than yours/ours, so you can never win. You have to conform with the system or move on, as seems to be the case with a lot of our (X) members.
    It would be nice to read some articles from the person(s) who set the standards that we must abide by.

I really really do not write for money here. And I find that many of my "lack of quality hubs" were my very early work. And I have cringed at reading a few, truthfully. I really want to know what HP wants me to do with them I cannot rewrite them all.

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am with you here, Eric.  I have pasted several of my early hubs into Open Office, and removed them from HP.  Almost sorry I did now, because just occasionally folk would look into them, and obviously were interested, even in poetry.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image74
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I've often wondered what I should do with Hubs I started and never finished. They are unpublished too.

5. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Eric,

I would pick the ones you want to rework and the ones you want to move, separate them into a list of "keep" and "move" - don't delete! that's a waste is it not?

Here is what I've found to be helpful.  Among the ones you want to keep on HP, start with your lowest scoring ones first and update those to get the scores up. This can also boost your hubber score because I believe that is now based on an average of all your hubs. 

If you have hubs you feel would perform better elsewhere, or it's too tedious and time consuming to update a lot etc. consider moving some to your own blog or website.  There are very nice free blogs out there, like Blogger, that you can customize quite easily. If you do this, I would put hubs there that focus on a specific theme/topic rather than multiple themes.  This tends to attract more visitors. 

Otherwise, if your hubs are unpublished, I don't think they should be affecting your subdomain etc. You can leave them there unpublished.  I have several that I've unpublished until I can get back to them, also some are in unpublished status that I've started and not finished.

Sounds perfectly logical. But is that HP wants us to do?

6. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Ah, so I went to this class on ebook publishing by Michael Rounds here in California (and on the web). He is not big on worrying about whether something is up to someone else's standards.  He's a salesman, and he's interested in helping people sell their ebooks and be proud of their accomplishments.  Of course, as a writer, you WANT your work to be great, edited properly, and helpful to readers, so intrinsically you're called to do your best work . However, in answer to your question, I think Hubpages doesn't care what you do with your unpublished hubs.  However, YOU can care what you do with them and make those hubs into something very exciting to you.  As Christin said, you can put them on a blog.  Blogs, especially, are meant to NOT be long drawn out pieces. They have to be short, crisp entries.  One of your unpublished hubs might make up three blog entries. The secret is great titles that pull people in. Slap on google content ads and voila'. you've created cinnamon rolls with left-over pie crust.
    What I plan to do is to take a look at my unpublished hubs and find the thread that runs through them; gather those of the same topic together (maybe even unpublish some of my published hubs if they would work under the same topic); save them to my computer if they're not there as documents already; and collect them in an ebook.  Go to bookbaby or some place like that and throw those things up on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc. as an ebook.  It may not even get you the same financial rewards, BUT you'll have something "tangible" to be proud of. And if you have your finger on the pulse of your audience, people WILL buy them for $1.99 each or so.  Heck, you can make your unpublished hubs (AFTER DELETING THEM) into an APP with ibuildapp. They have a book template.  It's a bit tricky, but I have tips on my blog. I made an app buildt on a few quotes and some text.  (Not taken from Hubpages, of course).
    You might as well walk and chew gum, Eric.  I really don't think hubpages rises and falls on whether we delete some of our unpublished hubs , nor does it seem to be against the rules.  We can un-publish and delete hubs all we want and republish them elsewhere. That's my take on the guidelines. "Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, "It might have been."   Whittier

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally looked into ibuildapp after reading this yesterday and thank you! I now have another cool idea to try for one of my sites smile

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Christin, I have a blurb on my biz blog with tips.  email me at leftpawedpuppy@gmail.com if you need help.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Copy them and put them somewhere else. After deleting them from HP of course. Bubblews is a good place to publish your hubs. They leave you alone and the payout is much faster.

8. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

All these suggestions are great advice. I am implementing some already and will do more in the future.
    But No one has come close to telling me what HP wants us to do with them in order for HP to be more successful. Of course reworking and making my forty or so "substandard" hubs fit their exact template preference is an Ideal but let us be serious -- What does HP want us to do with unpublished hubs.?

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Honestly does it really matter what HP wants you to do with them? It's your work smile. I would say HP would want you to make them "QAP standard" as with all other hubs. If that doesn't work for your format, move them elsewhere.

9. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 10 years ago

Improve them!  I actually recently received an email from HP telling me I should look into improving one of them so that it could be published.  What I did was edit it,and added more text capsules until it had over 1000 words at least,  ensured it had at least 3 photos, added a Poll capsule, the Link Capsule and a Video.

10. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

I think it will be fine if they them self give us a proper guidance on this issue. You have raised a good question concerning we all hubbers. I hope they will post their tips on HP Blog page.

Me too. I do not think that most can spend hours and hours a day here making every hub perfect and still produce much. So we need some guidance on how to help HP.

11. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

The Learning Center and the guide on the hub page tells you what makes a good hub. If it is unpublished, you can use that as a guide for getting it featured. If it can never be that for some reason, you can move it elsewhere. If you just want to change the title and try again with that change, you can do that. I have four hubs unpublished on my own that are not evergreen and not interesting to others. They are old news. I will just leave them on my computer in Word, as I still want them. We do have many choices. The main point is good content,different from everything out there, that has good organic traffic potential.

Brake12 we have been over suggestions ad nauseum. I tried to make it clear that I was asking what Hubpages wants us to do -- not our options. Your suggestions are marvelous. But what does HP want us to do. Upgrading a third of 300+ hubs not likely.

12. BlossomSB profile image78
    BlossomSBposted 10 years ago

I should think that it's a good idea to finish them. Then you have more hubs for others to read and enjoy.

Since I have gotten no direction from HP or someone who knows what they want. This is truly the writers creed thank Blossom88 (ps just loved the story on snails)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)