Which can you live without? Farmers? Truckers? or Politicians?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. FitnezzJim profile image77
    FitnezzJimposted 10 years ago

Which can you live without?  Farmers? Truckers? or Politicians?

This is purely a hypothetical question, but it reminds of the question, what really matters most in life?  So many people seem to be worried about a possible government shutdown.  But is it really that bad?  Farmers grow our food.  Truckers move our products around.  What do politicians do for us that we rely on?  If we had to choose, which one could we do without?

2. The Frog Prince profile image70
    The Frog Princeposted 10 years ago

Make red tape?  Who does that?  Statesmen were public servants.  This bunch of self-serving career pick pockets we have now are useless. 

The Frog

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Well, unfortunately we cannot live without any of the above. But, to answer your question, politicians for sure.

4. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 10 years ago

A very tough question Jim.  After a great deal of thought and hours of research, I would have to go with Politicians.

Farmers - Without farmers we would have no food to eat.

Truckers - Without truckers the shelves in our stores would be bare.

Politicians - I'm sorry but I just can't come up with anything we would miss.

1. The Frog Prince profile image70
      The Frog Princeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Piles of BS Mike?

2. FitnezzJim profile image77
      FitnezzJimposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The answer by Frog Prince suggests the possibility of a new economic cycle, and a new Bovine Smoohie Party.  If we start with 'Politicians produce BS',  truckers could take it to the farms, and farmers could grow food.  BS economics.

5. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 10 years ago

Put the politicians on minimum wage, see how quickly things get fixed lol

But ya, we can do without career politicians for sure!

1. The Frog Prince profile image70
      The Frog Princeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If they don't do there job (like right now) they should get NO pay.

6. mintinfo profile image64
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

The easy answer is the politicians but in retrospect they may be the most important. If we had to we could grow our own food. Abandon the cities and go back to the land. With smaller communities and the elimination of processed foods we probably would not need Truckers. Decisions still have to be made in the management of the country and politicians are the voices of the wishes of their respective communities. Without a common system there would be chaos. Some parts of the country would want to separate because even though majority rules they don't like the decisions that others are making on their behalf. Hey! isn't that whats happening now?

7. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image84
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 10 years ago

I don't usually join in on any subjects that involve politics, but this is too wonderful to resist! Which could I do without? Undoubtedly, unequivocally, with no regrets I could do without politicians. Farmers and truckers actually WORK for a living. Even more so, they do something which helps others and which benefits society. There would be a great hole if they suddenly could not do their jobs.

These days, all politicians do is yell at each other and play the blame-game. Nobody is coming up with any good ideas. Nobody is stepping forward to become a hero. Do you remember "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"? Jimmy Stewart's character is memorable because he went to D.C. and did NOT become a politician. He accomplished something because his goal was to serve his country and the people he represented.

My family was talking last night and we all admitted that we really haven't noticed much difference in our lives since the government shutdown.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I usually don't disagree with answers, but I find it to be almost a moral imperative to disagree with this one. Politicians are legislators and of course Jimmy Stewart's character was a politician. Legislators hammer out laws daily for our protection

8. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I have to agree with Old Poolman, there is nothing that would be missed if politicians were gone, except lies, scandal, and more problems than resolutions.

9. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

I really don't know when OUR Government became THE Government, when OUR President became THE President, or when OUR Representatives became THE Politicians.  Politicians/our Congress and House members REPRESENT US.  They represent us in a way that farmers and truckers don't.  We can't do without farmers, truckers.  Nor can we do without the laws we have agreed upon to ensure that the roads the truckers drive upon are uniformly safe throughout the country or that there are wide enough lanes for them to travel through the mountains and on and on.  We cannot do without the laws that allow farmers to be fairly certain that when they buy that grain to feed to their cattle, that grain has met standards and the meat that they produce meets standard to ensure our health and safety.
    To be very frank, the way we now have responding to our government as a separate entity and have put it on the plane similar to every other job is quite sad and indicative that we have lost the whole concept of what government is and does. Why don't we just through out LIncoln's last line "of the people, by the people, and for the people" and be done with it and let anarchy reign?

Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

spelling:  throw out not "through out"  I was in a hurry. UGH! Hate when that happens

2. FitnezzJim profile image77
      FitnezzJimposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I agree with your point.  In this new world order, many now regard politics as the same as governance.  Many also now equate a rush to judgment with swift justice.

10. brblog profile image79
    brblogposted 10 years ago

I don't think I would every lump Farmers and Truck Drivers in with Politicians? Farmers and Truck Drivers work for a living . . .

. . . but having said that, I do have a joke about Truck Drivers - "A guy sees a cowboy on the side of road. He is decked out in full cowboy attire except he is wearing tennis shoes. The guy asked him, hey what's with the shoes, to which the cowboy responds, you don't want me to look like a truck driver do you"

11. MrsGray32 profile image61
    MrsGray32posted 10 years ago

Nothing good comes from Politicians..  I believe that Truckers are just as important as farmers.  Not only do we need Truckers to deliver the goods to our stores but the farmers need the truckers to deliver large quantity's of feed, Medicine to the farms, and need them to haul out the produce or products to the stores. I don't care really how tiny your community is,  A trucker made the choice to leave  his family at home so he could make sure that your store had food on its shelves  Not to mention the ones that haul out your trash and waste.  That's pretty important too.  Unless of course you like living in a Poo Marsh on Trash Avenue..

12. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8352705_f260.jpg

Politicians, of course.  These career and self-advancing and self-involved politicians just take up space and advance their particular agendas without consideration of the constituents.  The overwhelming majority of politicians see politics as show business and as a means of advancing their careers.   The constituents are just mere symbolic convenience to the politicians.   Yes, these career politicians are an onus to this society and totally unnecessary.  What we need is sweep the government clean and to establish a grassroots political movement by electing average, qualified citizens who care about this country and its democratic process.

Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This makes me terribly sad. My experience is in volunteering for sincere legislators who hammer out laws that protect us,especially at the state level. I've seen TTYs put into airports so deaf people could call home,on and on and on. Hard battles won

13. thomasczech profile image46
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

HAHA thats a great question, and I can answer it without hesitation...Politicians we can do without, considering they have proven to us to be quite useless.

14. houseofjcjee profile image67
    houseofjcjeeposted 10 years ago

My life will be a mess without farmers and truckers but I can manage to live without politicians.

15. tirelesstraveler profile image58
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Read a editorial by a guy making snide remarks about the farmer who happened to represent our area in the congress. At the end of the letter he said, "Instead of giving benefits to farmer he should work on lowering the cost of milk".   I would say I could live without "Politicians, voted for by people who don't know farmers are instrumental in getting milk to the market".

16. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Obviously, a lot of people are dissatisfied with politicians-- for many good reasons.
    But I have to agree with Billie, we do need a few of them to keep order, and look out for defense and the common good.  I think government is way too bloated, and micromanages  too many things that states, cities and even individuals should do for themselves.
    When government  "shuts down" -- even 18% it results in a lot of unintended consequences, because it has control over such a wide range of things that affect  individuals and businesses.
    I live near a national park which is closed. So what?-- people can go somewhere else, but it affects a lot of workers (not just government workers) and the businesses of all the surrounding communities.  It seems that too many government actions afflict the citizens instead of protecting their freedom.
    End of rant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)