My dog died suddenly of pancreatitis monday.. other 2 are sick

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image53
    jugriffiposted 14 years ago

My Shihtsu Georgie, died Sept 14, suddenly of pancreatitis. He was never sick a day in his life. He was 15, but even the E.R. vet said he couldnt believe this, said he would probably be ok after some fluids and antibiotics. He had vomiting and diarrea for about 12 hours which became severe in the last 4 very quickly.  2 hours later he arrested and died.  Today is sept 20, my 2 year old dog and Georgies brother are exhibiting the same symptoms as George. My husband is at the vet with them now.  They were acting odd this week and i figured they were mourning Georgie, but neither of them will eat. I have been feeding them a combo of pedigree small breed kibble and pedigree chopped beef (which is all George ate) The week before he died.  My neighbor visited this week (wed and thurs) and her large dobe ate the food my 2 left down and had vomiting and diarrea friday, but is ok today.  I cannot begin to explain the heart break I felt over the loss of Georgie, now I am so full of anger I dont know what to do. I have been feeding this combo for quite a while, I never knew there were issues with either, could this be a coincidence?

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my goodness how sad...
      I feel for you so much. I too have a shihtsu and you are not going to believe this but I swear I am telling the truth his name is Georgie! Mine is black and white.
      Oh I cannot imagine how you must be feeling right now.

This needs to be adressed though the issue about the dog food! That is highly suspicious. Too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

2. Mrs. Obvious profile image84
      Mrs. Obviousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my God, that's awful. I am sorry for your loss.
      My first instinct was poisoning when you were talking about the symptoms and how quickly your little one was lost. Is it possible that the canned food cans were dented and possibly contaminated from that? The larger dog may have gotten sick, but not as sick because he is so much bigger. Call the dog food manufacturer and report your issue, maybe there was/is a contamination at the plant? Have the can ready if you do this cause they will want a lot # or other identifying info from the can label. I was also thinking how these symptoms are very similar to antifreeze poisoning. Antifreeze actually tastes sweet, so dogs will lick it up, and even just a tiny bit can kill a dog within a day. If I remember right, it affects the liver or kidney's first not the pancreas, so I'm not sure if it also affects the pancreas or not.
      I hope everyone is well soon. Good luck to you friend.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'm really sorry about your beloved dog. that is so sad sad

i don't think it is a coincidence. good luck. i hope they feel better, the sweeties.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went through this a year ago with my Snauzer Mix. We tested and found it to be a condition called CG, a thikening of the blood caused by liver and pancreaus problems, agravated by diet. Diarear, bleeding in the stools, vomiting. IV fluids and antibiotics cured her thank god.

Your breed of dog, I believe, is not prone to this. So I'd hunt down the two cans you used to make the mix and take it to the vet. It could have something in it that caused it.

In our case it could have been the Liver disease gradualy, slowly was poisoning the dogs body making it fail, and it was to damaged to recover. In your case it could be from the bad food.

5. Jinx1231 profile image61
      Jinx1231posted 14 years agoin reply to this

First off let me say, I am sorry for your loss.  It's never easy to loose a pet. There was a recall on some pet food earlier this year.  Before they could get it all pulled from the shelves there had been some deaths.  Pedigree was one of the foods recalled.  You may want to get rid of all you canned dog food, especially if your other two dogs are showing the same signs as well as the neighbors dog. This was probably not a coincidence. It falls to close to the recall.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Awww poor thing! I was sad when my aunt's dogs died, I helped train them too.

~thranax~

3. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, you must miss him terribly. As for it being something to do with the food, maybe you could go back to the vet, they will have an idea as to weather it has something to do with their illness. I hope they are well again soon.

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Ohhhhhh I feel for you sad I hope your other two dogs pull through ok. I totally understand how you must be feeling. Our pets are part of our family. I think ralwus would attest to that.

Seriously - hoping your dogs get better.

5. Bard of Ely profile image78
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

That is heart-breaking losing your dog and a terrible worry about the others. I feel for you too! I hope your dogs are OK and soon!

6. profile image52
    Raven Marieposted 14 years ago

I'm so sorry about your friend.  I have seen this happen in older dogs a number of times.  They just don't have what it takes to fight such things.  Pancreatitis is a tough thing and young dogs struggle when struck by it.  Before I blamed the food entirely I would check my yard etc.  Neighbors tend to give snacks not realizing that they are bad.  Squrrials haul stuff in too.  My dogs all had stomch upset and bloody stool, I found steak and chicken bones in my yard.  I was ready to murder my neighbors when I saw a squrrial in the tree dropping a bone into the yard.  I hope all goes well with your dogs and I am so sorry for your loss.  I truely understand the pain.

7. NaomiR profile image74
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I am very sorry to hear for your loss. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved animal. My thoughts are with you.

8. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry too. I've had this happen with my dear kitty...well, she was dying suddenly of kidney failure. sad It really is losing a family member. It stinks how expensive vet care is---even having them kill your animal for you costs a lot.

Take your other pups though to the vet...or humane society (they usually have cheaper service that is good).

Feel better that you gave him 15 good years.

9. profile image0
    molly0181posted 14 years ago

I am really brken to hear this. It is very hard to know that we miss our loving pet all of a sudden.

10. michael_morehead profile image61
    michael_moreheadposted 14 years ago

i hope to god you have dog insurance. seems like something is afoot.

11. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Sorry about your loss. Definitely check into the food issue.

12. Shesha Morris profile image61
    Shesha Morrisposted 14 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.  I know just how you must feel.  I have lost several pets through the years and it is certainly never easy.  To me they are like children.  Innocent and helpless without us.  My Jasmine is a shep mix.  She is 13 years old, goes to the vet annually for her checkups and shots  and has always been very healthy.   Her only problem is her hip dysplasia but with the help of Rymadil she is comfortable and still quite playful.  Back in July I noticed a growth on her ear.  Looked like a small mole.  Two weeks later it was the size of a Pistachio nut.  I called the vet, brought her in and after a biopsy found it to be an extremely aggressive form of cancer.  After a $1,000 surgery the vet removed the growth and surrounding tissue.  Thankfully we caught it quickly enough and the post biopsy concluded that all of the cancerous cells had been removed and did not attach to anything else.  Although she is 13 I am not ready to lose her.  I started looking into natural foods to keep her healthy.  Since her surgery we have been preparing home cooked meals for her.  We will by boneless chicken breast, peas, carrots and brown rice.  We saute them in low sodium fat free chicken broth.  We consulted with our vet prior to the new diet and were told that it was fine as long as we add a handful of hi quality dry dog food to provide the special nutrients and vitamins a dog requires.  Not only does she love her food and eats every bite as well as licks the bowl clean, she has also never looked healthier.  At 13 she has clear bright eyes, energy, shiny soft coat and has even gotten back to her health weight.  Her bowel movements are regular and healthy.  No diahrea, no vomiting.  I only wish I had done this years ago.  It takes only about 20 minutes to prepare a weeks worth of meals for her and the cost is approx 1/3 of her old store bought dog food diet.  Our vet is amazed at how healthy she is for her age.

13. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

jugriffi-I am so very sorry.  It is strange to hear this happen to a four-legged creature-I almost died of pancreatitis in 2008, but that was my doing.  Alcoholism.
    Again, do take care and many thoughts go to you.

14. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

It is so painful when are "furry" children hurt. I have a dog with cushings disease, and I dread the time is coming near. My heart goes out to you, Holly

15. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

You said it is pancreatitis, but could it be a mutant form of Parvo?

16. spiderspun profile image60
    spiderspunposted 14 years ago

Commercial dog food can be bad for your Dog. Most are made from bi-products of certain meats. That means organs chicken heads an anything the buttchers don't keep for humans. the bi products get all processed with grains added and made into dog food. Sounds yucky, but I read labbels and some dog food has too much of one thing and not a balance of the other. Eacg type of dog has different diatary needs to its breed and can't be generalized to prepared dog foods.

Our little dog 11yrs, stund our vet when his blood work for welness was done. His levels for everything tested was above normal for his age and put him physically younger. They wanted to know what we were feeding him.  He is getting a well researched natural diet for his breed is what I answered

17. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

OP is MIA.  Has not posted to this thread since original post 3 months ago.  Hope her other dogs are okay.

18. charlybell profile image60
    charlybellposted 14 years ago

Wow thats really scary... my prayers are definitely with your little pups.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)