What does it mean when I get a message on my computer that I have high CPU usage

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

What does it mean when I get a message on my computer that I have high CPU usage?

Forgive my ignorance on this, but do I need to be concerned about this and do something specifically to lower the CPU usage?  Thank you for answering

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

you probably have a lot of stuff running in the background and it's using up a lot of resources.  Your machine will run better if you don't have a lot of things maxing out your processor. 

There are a couple of things you can check out.  First of all is your fan running properly and cooling as it should? is your machine in a well ventilated area?  If you use a laptop try setting it on a cooling base.  They plug in with a usb and will keep it from overheating.

Do you have a lot of things running in the background?  Use task manager to check how many processes are running.  Also, change your settings for what loads at startup.  (not sure what version of windows you are using to step by step for you) Many times a lot of unnecessary things run in the background when you start your computer.  Redoing your settings can prevent that.

Also, some other things to do: Make sure your drivers are all current.  If you run a lot of things; you may also want to upgrade your memory.

Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, ChristinS, thank you for the detailed answer.  I am clueless as to all of that, but I will check all of this out, as I am sure there is most likely a lot running in the background.

3. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

Hi Faith, I agree with ChristinS that when you may have other sites or programs running and at start up you may have some that start automatically that you must manually stop from starting. Sometimes you must clear out cookies too. What kind of computer do you have?

Hi Word55, thank you so much for sharing your insight here.  I have a laptop.

4. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 9 years ago

Hi Faith...

You have been given some good answers.  Are you running the Norton anti-virus program by any chance?

1. Genna East profile image82
      Genna Eastposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Also, what kind of laptop/op sys are you using?

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

Hi Genna, I sure am running the Norton anti-virus.  I have a Lenovo and using Windows 8.1 op system.

3. Genna East profile image82

I would first run the steps that the commenters have suggested.  I have heard complaints from other Norton users that it can be a bit of a memory hog at times.  It can run background tasks while you are browsing or using other programs.  Win 8.1 is a

4. Faith Reaper profile image84

Thank you so much, Genna!  I wish HP would allow more room for all to answer.  I am sorry your answer was cut short.  Hugs

5. chadwiki profile image60
    chadwikiposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11271480_f260.jpg

In Windows, press "Ctrl-Shift-Delete" to open the Task Manager. Here you will see a detailed list of running processes. CPU usage is indicated in the first column. You can sort by CPU usage by clicking the CPU column. You may need to click "More Details" to view the full Task Manager.

This is a great method to determine which program or service is bogging down your machine.

Hi chadwiki, Wow, that is quick and straight to the issue for sure!  Thank you for taking time to answer and I really appreciate the help!

6. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

The 'add/remove programs' feature in your control panel will tell you all the programs you have installed. It's good to check it every once and a while because often times there is a program you don't use anymore just taking up space. Usually you can see what programs are running in the system tray (the area on the task bar next to your clock). Closing these will lower your cpu usage.

Hello M. T. Dreamer, I appreciate the detailed answer here, as I am pretty much clueless when it comes to all of this, so thank you so much!  I will take a look.

7. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Do you have a way of clearing all of your unneeded cookies, caches, photos, etc.? This opens up a lot of memory (CPU) and allows your fan, etc., to run easier. Another option which may help is to check your photos on HP now and then to clear any old or unneeded ones.

I have a tool called CCleaner and it takes out whatever you choose to have removed. You check off what you want. You use it when you decide or schedule it automatically.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use CCleaner, too. It's a good tool to keep on your desktop for easy access.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is where I have mine - besides in the white column when hit the 'Start' button.

3. Faith Reaper profile image84

Hi Kevin, oh, really, how interesting.  I will have to ask my husband about whether I have a way of clearing all of the unneeded cookies, which I am sure I do.  Boy, there sure is a lot to learn ... well, for me!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61

If you do not have something like CCleanup, you can use Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter on Start. They come with all Microsoft PC's.

5. Faith Reaper profile image84

Thanks again, Kevin, are clarifying that for me : ) 

Blessings

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61

You are welcome Faith. :-)

7. Faith Reaper profile image84

Meant, thank you for clarifying ... : )

8. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 9 years ago

Faith try running disk cleanup. Your computer will tell you which files you can delete and how much space it'll free up when you do. You can also run maintenance tasks found in the System & Security area in your control panel.

1. Genna East profile image82

Faith... Bravewarrior has another excellent suggestion.  Regular Disk Cleanup and Defrags (but do not choose the condense files option) are great.  I do this frequently and it helps keep everything tidier and with far less clutter.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

Hi Sha, Oh, yes, it's probably time to run disk cleanup.  Thank you so much for taking time to answer.  Thanks again, Genna.  I appreciate everyone great help here!

9. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

Sometimes i get a message similar to this when I boot up my husband's computer. Most of the time it is somebody trying to sell a program, so be careful about what you click on "OK"  Some of these programs they are trying to get onto your computer contain spyware. He added a couple of anti-viral programs that I suggested (we use here at work), but this still appears sometimes when only one program is running.

Thank you so much, MizBejabers.  Yes, one can never be too careful and be mindful to not click on anything for sure!

10. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 9 years ago

This is  what to do when you get a high CPU message read more

Oh, Wow, Word55, you have written an entire hub to address my question!  Awesome!!!  You are so kind and helpful.

11. easylearningweb profile image86
    easylearningwebposted 9 years ago

Hi Faith,

I receive this message sometimes, mostly on my older laptop, and here are some other things to try to reduce the CPU usage:

On the bottom right there are icons in an area called the System Tray. Try right clicking and closing programs that you truly don't need open at the moment. Some are programs you won't be able to close; for example, I Norton antivirus and that icon is down there; if I right click it lets me put it in silent mode so it runs in the background.

If you are like me, you like a lot of tabs open in your browser; if that is the case, try closing some (bookmark ones you need to return to later).

Do you have several large applications open? For example, MS Office, a music player, web or blog builder, etc.? Close as much as you can to save CPU usage.

Next, as ChristinS mentioned, go to Task Manager (via CTRL+ALT+DEL menu) and look at the processes running; click on top of the column that displays the percentage for usage and then you can see what programs are hogging up the most memory; close if you are sure but you may have to note some down and then search for them on the web to see if they are legitimate programs.

Go to Control Panel, Programs, Add/Delete, when programs display, click on the top of the date installed column; see if there might be some new mysterious programs that have installed (sometimes without your consent); note down unknown programs, and research these to see if there are some unneeded ones that you can delete.

Hope that helps!

Good luck.

Hello easylearningweb,  Yes, you have been most helpful!  I appreciate you leaving a detailed answer, which explains so much.  Thank you!!!

12. Linda Pogue profile image55
    Linda Pogueposted 9 years ago

You have been given some great answers. Another thing you might try is to search online and download SpyBot Search and Destroy. Install it and run it. It will find a lot of adware and spyware that many virus protection applications miss. It will let you delete the adware and spyware it finds after showing you a list. I usually run it twice. Sometimes, one doesn't show up until another is gone.

Hello Linda Pogue, Yes, I sure have been a lot of great answers!  Oh, really, that is interesting.  Thank you for answering and sharing.  Wow, I don't know where to start!  Blessings to all!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)