Fear of God?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image78
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

Fear of God?

I often see or hear people talking about "the fear of God", or being a "God-fearing" person. No one has been able to explain to me why they would fear the Deity they believe in. Why would you fear a just, merciful God? Can you explain this to me? Verses are welcome (please provide translation - KJV, NIV etc).

2. SilentMagenta profile image75
    SilentMagentaposted 9 years ago

I asked the same question a few years ago to a pastor. The term "God fearing" comes from the understanding that he is your Creator/Father. If you do something bad your birth father will punish you. God being your spritual father is no different in that case. His punishments and your birth fathers punishment are similar in the sense that it out of love not to harm. We fear our birth parents to the point that we don't disrespect them, lie, cheat, or steal while they are in our present. Being that god is always with us he expects the same thing.

1. JMcFarland profile image70
      JMcFarlandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can you explain to me how the doctrine of hell - the belief that those who do not believe in that particular god will be thrown into everlasting fire to be tortured forever - is a punishment out of love?

2. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JM, It's like when your "birth fathers" throw kids into a closet and lock them in there so they can pray and go hungry so they'll understand how much you need to be punished for disrespecting your birth parents.

3. jlpark profile image78
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer Silent. I would be grateful also if you had a answer to JMs posed question also - as it is something I am curious about as well.

4. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JMcF What a disingenuous question. This question is answered in the Bible. You can Google it and find myriad explanations from the Bible that explains your question and you act like there is no explanation. God offers salvation from hell to all.

5. SilentMagenta profile image75
      SilentMagentaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JMc- Thats great point. I expect it just like a birth father after he have saved you and tried his hardest to put you in the right direction he can do nothing more. He still loves you but his hands are tied.

6. Austinstar profile image85

Silent - Are you actually saying that your god's hands are tied? He can do nothing?

7. SilentMagenta profile image75
      SilentMagentaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I may have used the wrong words. However, you have a short time on earth. As your father he will try to help you do the right thing but if you still want to sin it becomes disrespectful. "You can't save nobody that doesn't want to be saved"

8. Austinstar profile image85

JM - Christians can't answer your question because they can't wrap their heads around "other" religions. The Christian God did not create Hindus and Buddhists. Therefore he doesn't punish or reward them. They have to become Christians to count.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

As Silent has already mentioned God is our ultimate father as our paternal Father is here on Earth. We are to obey, respect, and love our Fathers. This is the same with God the Father. "The fear of God" is a sign of respect and love. If you go against your parents wishes you are going to be punished as their child. If we are disobedient in our lives it is the same with God. God will only punish those that are his children.

Thanks for your answer JT

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Jacquie.

3. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said JT! The believer's fear is reverence of God. Hebrews 12:28-29 describes this well “... be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ’God is a consuming fire.’”

4. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good answer JThomp42, but why don't we say parent-fearing or that we fear our paternal fathers in the same way because we have respect and love for them. If we said we "feared" them the authorities would investigate to ensure we were not being abused

4. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

Utter nonsense. It's just another way for a bully to control - instill fear. There is no reason in the universe why a thinking person should think fear is a "demonstration of love". It's the most asinine thing that religionists have ever come up with.
    Equating fear with love is taking the coward's way out. It's ok to acknowledge fear. Fear is a natural reaction to a threat. Without fear, we would be eliminated as a species.
    To say that a God needs fear to control his "creation", is like saying that a jailor needs fear to control his prisoners. Instead of just being "more powerful" than a prisoner, a jailor would have to instill fear to make the prisoners behave. That is called torture and it doesn't work for prisons anymore than it should work for parents or a "god".

Thanks for your answer Austin.

5. Snøwman profile image57
    Snøwmanposted 9 years ago

Fear of God isn't the same definition of fear as fear of danger.

In dictionary.com the 4th definition for fear is "reverential awe, especially toward God".To fear God means to respect him, not be afraid of him.

Avoiding sin because we're afraid of God's wrath and punishment is a good thing to do. It's always good to avoid sin, but it's much better to avoid sin because you fear offending a God that you love dearly.

Thanks for your answer Snowman

2. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Snowman - I was going to give the same answer. I'd like to add that we should avoid sin because of the consequences, rather than fearing punishment. Example; avoid drunkenness because it ruins health, not to avoid hell.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image65
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

SYTL Exactly though anything can be a sin and everything may not be a sin.  It isn't that it is against anything or anyone but a consequence of an action or thought. Fear of God should be said in the book of books to be in AWE of God, who is WITHIN

6. The0NatureBoy profile image57
    The0NatureBoyposted 9 years ago

The reason it is written to fear god is because "fear" doesn't mean "to be afraid of" but "to approach with cautious learning."  It is written throughout many scriptures but the definition is not "being afraid of" but to approach with cautious learning, and since the Hebrew's god is named YeHuWeH which means "I AM THAT I AM" it means to approach everything with cautious learning. 

Since so few people know the reason the tree in the garden's name is "tree of the KNOWLEDGE [emphasis mine] of good and evil" rather than the "tree of good and evil" they don't grasp why god's name is I AM THAT I AM.  If the tree had been called "tree of good and evil" it would mean only a few different things would be good or evil, just like there are only a few different fruit called apples, but because it is "knowledge of good and evil" it suggest there is nothing concrete to make things good nor evil except your personal or encouraged judgment of things. 

With that understanding, to approach god with fear is to approach everything cautiously for determining their purposes, what they do and how to used them, then, by doing so one fears god.

Thanks for your answer The0

7. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

Some people do. They say that it can also imply reverence and awe, and they use scripture to show this. The way that English is used in the present is that fear is nearly always associated with something negative.

Anyway, I put the question to many Hubbers, as you're doing right now, and the answers were practical against fear from christians and non-christians alike. See what happens with yours. My answer is most certainly to love, not fear. Peace bro.

Thanks for your answer Manatita

8. Kate Mc Bride profile image73
    Kate Mc Brideposted 9 years ago

Fear is not good and anyone living in fear of God or anything else is not free to live as they are meant to live
    . I have heard it said that the Chinese use the same character for danger and opportunity.
    "There is nothing to fear but fear itself"

1. The0NatureBoy profile image57
      The0NatureBoyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are 2 basic definitions to fear, 1) To be afraid of to the point you shut down all factuality's except defensive, 2) To approach with cautious learning and most people are not aware we are to approach god for our education, man schools us.

9. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 9 years ago

A lot of people fear the unknown: others treat such as an adventure.  If you fear God then you fear a part of yourself.  After all, if you believe that God is Omni potent, Omni scient, and Omni present then She (oh, blasthemy!) He, It, is everywhere including inside you.   Everywhere must include all and everyone.

The part of you that fears the god part of you is what most of us habitually identify with: the self-image or ego with its continual comments, chatter, worry, self-pity et cetera which we identify with; the mind's contents so many of us believe we are.

To experience the part of us that has no fear, we need to get into the habit of embracing, and identifying with the REAL us rather than the image.   The Observer (without comment) the Witnessing presence - the Experiencer is what we are.   You could say, "I am..."  without anything following it, is what we really are.

10. profile image57
    Dana Steltingposted 9 years ago

It means to respect the power of the lord. Think about Moses and how as God's agent he used the power of God to subdue the enemy. God's power is infinite and one would not want to be on the side of wrath. To say the fear of God, is to illustrate that God holds all power, and it is respected. That doesn't mean that to have a "fear of God" means that one is afraid of God. It means that one believes that their respect for that power and to have a belief in God; that the same God that holds the power to destroy the universe, loves and protects the believer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)