Do You Worship God Out of Love or Fear?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (49 posts)
  1. m abdullah javed profile image74
    m abdullah javedposted 9 years ago

Do You Worship God Out of Love or Fear?

2. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

"There are only 2 religions; one of Love, and one of Fear." ~ Sandra Rogers, spoken after her near-death experience.
    I believe life is not worth wasting on the Religion of Fear.  Any God that demands fear should not be worshipped.

m abdullah javedposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But Yoleen what we experience is love has to be with a fear without which love is considered to be mere a shallow one.

Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand...

3. m abdullah javed profile image74

I mean the love for someone has a fear factor, those who love do have some or the other kind of fear, dont you think this is applicable here?

4. Say Yes To Life profile image79

When you truly love someone, there is no need to fear them.  "Perfect love casts out all fear."  I John 4:18.

5. m abdullah javed profile image74

I think that love is meant for faith which is simply void of all negative traits. But when you worship with love there must be a fear regarding its acceptance. Isn't it?

6. Say Yes To Life profile image79

I hope not!  Assuming God wants ,me to worship Him, surely He wouldn't reject my worship?  That would be cruel, wouldn't it?  In which case, should I love someone who is cruel?

7. m abdullah javed profile image74

No the acceptance factor is not on the part of God what I mean is being human we might fall short of worshiping Him the way He has to be. So this shortcoming will create a kind fear, don't you think so?

8. Say Yes To Life profile image79

Wow - this sounds intimidating. I'll go with what Ian Moone says. I'm too busy struggling to survive to worry about worshipping a Perfect Deity who owns everything, knows all, and has no need for my piddly contributions.

9. m abdullah javed profile image74

Yoleen the blessings are numerous the mercy of the One whom we worship has enveloped our entire life, He is our Creator so His worship must be adorn with highly optimistic approach.

3. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

I think both.  I love God, but at the same time, I don't want to be banished from His presence, which is what being in hell is all about.

That's excellent. Thanks for the response. Stargrrl.

4. profile image53
    Ian Mooneposted 9 years ago

In my opinion we should worship our self first (my body is my temple), & then worship everybody else as equals..God put everything out there for us to find, & gave us the strength to go & find it..The only trouble is what we really need is not out there it's inside us, the path to the kingdom of god as the Buddha said is inside us all..It's "specifically" negative emotions feelings & thought control & meditation practice until mastered, which will clear all a persons emotional baggage from their past leaving them in the present moment only (logical thinker)..It's also finding our hobbies passions interests & loves, & if a person starts doing all that over the months/years that is as good as it gets as far as worshipping god goes..So for me god is a logical thinking loving god unable to manifest negative emotions or feelings, & who also expects us to do a lot of bad things along the way until we learn why not to do them..So an evil person for example will disappear from existence when they die because they never learnt, & all the good loving people that want to live for all the right reasons & do, they will get eternal life. :-)

1. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To worship yourself is one of the central themes of Satanism.  Satanists believe in self-worship.

2. profile image53
      Ian Mooneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Satanists are nothing but brainwashed people buddy, & you have 2 possible self's you know.There's the none self mind identified people ("I am" selfishness which should be dropped), & the real self identified people ("We are" unselfish heart l

5. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 9 years ago

I really try hard to fear my Lord. It makes sense to me that we should in some degree as part of our abiding love. Even the religious tenets of my faith indicate that I should fear my Lord. Huge portions and pointed commands within my Bible require fear of the Lord.
    I just cannot do it. While I may be fearful of something that my Lord may do I just have to accept that what my Lord does do is done in love and for the overall betterment of myself and mankind.
    I believe in a loving God and I just cannot bring myself to be afraid of my Lord.
    So try as I might to include fear I only worship my God out of love.

Ericdierker you have poured out your heart here. Yes traning a heart to fear God is far more difficult than Loving Him. A balanced approach here speaks of the credibility of faith.

Interesting answer!

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you much muhammad abdullah javed

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Out of love.  When I was growing up I was raised in a God-fearing family and I basically resented God and turned my back on him.  However, when I was in college I found out that God is a forgiving God so I realized that he would forgive me of all my wrong doing and rebellion.  I feel as worshiping God out of love I have a better and deeper relationship with him

That's sound sensibke LoisRyan. I think with that love there must be an anxiety about the blessings not to get minimised or diminished.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not think God as an Indian Giver where he gives and then takes away.  I do know when I mess up-and I do that a lot-that I apologize to God not because I am afraid but I let him down.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image79

LoisRyan - I must take issue with your term, "Indian Giver". The Native Americans were extremely generous when the Europeans first arrived on their land, but when they greedily took over, the Natives understandably tried to preserve what was theirs.

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I wasn't thinking.  And I apologize to all native Americans.  Not really sure where that term originated.  I do have a little Native American as well in me as well.

7. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

I don't worship God at all, so I hope you don't mind me adding my answer.

I would rather worship anything out of love.
    Worshiping something out of fear seems too much like an emotionally abusive relationship to me. In fact, for most, if it was not God one was talking about, people would encourage their friends and family to RUN from such a relationship. One should not fear that whom they have faith in.

But, thats just me. Thanks for letting me answer.

jlpark belief in God reflects self belief, when you believe the relationship between you & your God develops with a mixed traits of affection and timidness.Just look at those with whom you have relationship, don't you feel love and fear play a ro

2. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't feel fear plays a role at all, unless you consider the "fear" as a parent or friend, that something will happen to someone I love. But I do not fear them or the relationship. I wonder if you mean "respect" - which is definately NOT fear.

3. m abdullah javed profile image74

Here fear means a kind of anxiety over our shortcomings in view of the greatness of the Creator. Its entirely different from all forms of fear.

4. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Then I think it's more about respect, than fear. Why fear shortcomings, however, if He is all powerful, and all knowing - He will know you cannot measure up to his standards....which in itself is cruel. Pls understand I am not trying to be offensive.

5. m abdullah javed profile image74

Exactly its more than respect you may term  fear as reverence. You can be excellent and perfect in your approach any lacuna within create a kind of unpleasantness and that's fear, its our attitude towards the Maginificent God.

8. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

i worship God because my parents told me to do so. Every kids are taught to worship whichever God that your ancestor had done so. Unless you wanted to change when you are an adult.

Your words are pure and adorn with a child like innocense. Thanks for the response. I think we should make use of the faculties of hearing seeing and contemplating to form a lively relationship with the God.

2. profile image0
      moviesreviewsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. A personal relationship is definitely best

9. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12100850_f260.jpg

I worship God with agape love; however, I fear that what I have done is not enough for Him. I fear that I have indeed disappointed Him. I fear that I have placed Him on the smaller "back-burner" of life relative to my primary selfish concerns/attachments. Thus, one could conclude my fear is that I am not centered on God; therefore, I pray for His forgiveness for my weaknesses/attachments...

connorj your other side of intense love is very realistic and touching, perfectly exemplifies the 'err nature' of us.

10. profile image51
    growithmeposted 9 years ago

Both fear and love in perfect combination..

Thanks for the response.

11. profile image0
    moviesreviewsposted 9 years ago

Definitely out of love. Fear of God has no place for Christians because God is Good all the time.

Please explain me how do you remain in a constant state of love.

12. Joyfulcrown profile image54
    Joyfulcrownposted 9 years ago

I worship God out of love, out of the love that God has for me.  I worship God in response to His unconditional love for me.

Do you have any reservations about that love? Do you feel at a comfortable state looking at your forms of worship and enormity of God's love?

13. mkjohnston81 profile image78
    mkjohnston81posted 9 years ago

I never understood the concept of fearing God when I was a kid.  I remember the church always taught us that we should fear and love God, but it didn't make sense to me.  As an adult (and also having converted to a different religion), I think I finally understand the fear thing... we worship God out of love, not fear--but we fear the possibility of separation from God. So while I think both love and fear are components of worship, I think the motivation to worship should still be primarily love.  I mean, if your main motivation is fear, it seems that that would make faith less genuine.

You mean to say love oriented fear is something one should opt for, the main reason being a possibility of separation...I think it should also include a kind of anixiety for a below par reverence for Him.

2. mkjohnston81 profile image78
      mkjohnston81posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sure, but the anxiety for a below par reverence for Him will result in separation.  And that separation could occur in this life (by not having a relationship with God), or in the next (by ending up in hell).

14. Cathy I profile image66
    Cathy Iposted 9 years ago

I love God with a passion. He is so good to me...only being I can trust completely who will always have my back and never let me down.
    Where there is love, there is no fear.
    God is and always will be a forgiving God.

Hi Cathy! If life is a coin, love and fear are said to be its two facet. If we apply this to any aspect they appear very true. Apply it to God's worship and see the result.

15. profile image53
    BKMooreposted 9 years ago

I am new here on HP - I started to offer an answer and just realized that you gave me what I needed to start my first blog!!! You are on to something here that I have pondered many, many times.

Sorry to waste this space but thank you!!!

16. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

If I were to read the books in the Bible where Jesus states that The Kingdom of God and that the temple of God is within ourselves.  Why should I worship myself and fear myself.  We are told to be careful with our thoughts and to love one another as our very selves.  If we fear ourselvves and the lord, which is within us, then we shall show that same fear to others and that is not what we are supposed to be doing.  Love and have self respect and trust and faith are all within us for without the trust and faith that we can do things we end up having a self-esteem problem and yes that creeps into others lives as well.  Hold yourself up and truly find the meaning of love who you are and have trust and faith with who your are and what you sow because you will reap that. 
    Everything in moderation too becasue there is a fine line and a straight and Narro passage with that becasue if you go too much over the side of the road you either have a low self-esteem or you become very arrogant and niehter of those will give you the change to meet the God Within you.  Never fear who you are!  You are God!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)