What Can A God Do Than A Man/Men Cannot?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (106 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

What Can A God Do Than A Man/Men Cannot?

Not just a religious question.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12240822_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

Create other planets with other creatures. Organize the cosmos. Eliminate the dinosaurs on earth. Decide how long human existence will last.

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't see a problem with doing all that you have listed. We will be able to terraform planets, create robotic creatures, the cosmos is already organized.  BTW - dinosaurs are already extinct. We can also decide to save ourselves from doom.

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dinosaurs are extinct but humans did not do it to them. The planets are already there, with or without us. We don't create them in this form. If we access a higher knowledge we can.

3. Austinstar profile image84

Iam quite sure that humans will be able to do these things and more. We have all the time in the universe to accomplish anything we want.

4. Joseph O Polanco profile image41
      Joseph O Polancoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That would only be true if man were infallible and omniscient. As is the case, he is anything but.

5. profile image0
      temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Sri T here. We humans did not make any evolution decisions, nor any planetary decisions. The cosmos is already organized but it's definitely not the work of humans. Maybe in future we'll able to do these things, but not as an individual.

6. Austinstar profile image84

How little your minds are, to not be able to see the future. You see obstacles everywhere instead of opportunities. As long as you think you can't do these things, you will be correct. But one day, we will be able to do this and more.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

...and Jesus said that we would do more than he...and so we are but we are blinded from those who wish to keep us controlled and in the dark about lots of things.  See behind the curtain of social pressures, religion and politics.

8. profile image0
      temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Austinstar Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like disagreement, too bad. Calling other's minds as little is just a reflection on yourself.

9. Austinstar profile image84

If you think I am looking into a mirror by calling your mind 'little' , then your mind is even smaller than I can say. Why not try the opposite and make your mind larger? Or is it just too much trouble for you guys to learn new things?

10. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Satan would have us think we were like God.  That is what got him into trouble in the first place.  To think of yourself as a god is to be proud, and God hates that sin above all.  We are men, and there are limits as to what we can do.

11. Austinstar profile image84

And that's why you'll never win a Nobel prize.

12. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Star, U R being lied to.  I want to more fights or arguments from you.

13. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

@Debra

If Satan isn't real then who tempted Jesus to sin three times? (Luke 4:1-13)

14. Lady Guinevere profile image68

@Joseph, I suggest that you read your Bible moe deeply and learn about the History of the times that it was written and the plight of the people, not just Israel, but Rome and England and all those mixed up in those times. Older Versions on Bible too

15. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

@Debra

Thank you for your reply, however, I fail to see how it answers my simple query. Can you elaborate?

16. Omer123 profile image60
      Omer123posted 9 years agoin reply to this

hhahah amazing @sir  T
      we can't do a single work from your this list  .. @ L.A why creating robotic creatures if man is so genus then create a man like structure .. these all are just your reasons to live and to enjoy an atheist live just .

17. Lady Guinevere profile image68

@Joseph, I refuse to go around and around and around with you.  Just do it and stop the insanity. I will not spon feed an adult what they should know ho to do themselves.

18. Austinstar profile image84

Theists love to quote their bibles! How many books does it take for an atheist to make a good argument? Answ: ALL of them!

19. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

If you were unwilling or simply unable to explain your bizarre reasoning, why answer the question in the first place?

3. cjhunsinger profile image59
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

What god, which god and by what ascribed attributes?
    I would think, to answer the question directly and to use the Christian gods as examples, they are very good at killing what they have created.

Life is credited to these gods and in the godly design, life is engineered to die from old age and nature. All this is, of course,  fore known and, in that, obviously planned. It would be like a robotics engineer designing a robot to self destruct at a given age or to succumb to a natural disaster that the robot had no defense for.

If one accepts the Watch Theory as a proof of the gods and Intelligent Design as further evidence, the intelligent designer, as the robotics engineer, has to take responsibility for the design and the designed end result and too, design flaws..

1. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Jehovah God created man to live eternally. Death was only introduced as a result of man's defiance of God's sovereignty. See Genesis 2 & 3.

2. cjhunsinger profile image59
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Joseph--Did this god know or not know of Mans defiance prior to the act?  It would appear that your god did not know what Man would do--how then is he a god?

3. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Jehovah God had no good reason to suspect his creation would betray him. Why would he? He had been nothing but a perfect loving father to Adam and Eve!

4. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Sos a perfect "loving" father would push them out for something they were set up for?  That makes no sense man and a father would never do that to his own children.  That is a MAN thing, not GOD.

5. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Adam and Eve weren't set up. Like Christ Jesus they too were merely tested. The only difference is that Christ was loyal to his loving Father while those two chose not to be.

6. cjhunsinger profile image59
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Joseph--In your admission, " no good reason to suspect." your god is not all-knowing. This does not  qualify as a god.  You need to rethink your position.

7. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

The ONLY thing God does not know is how we individually choose to live our lives and the ONLY reason He doesn't know is out of respect for our Free Will.

4. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

What can a God do?  ANYTHING.  Redeem, for starters.  Save us from ourselves.

We don't NEED to be "saved". And if we need help, we need to look within ourselves.

2. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Sure we do. If let purely to man's designs we will all perish in a thermonuclear war or some other peril caused by man.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Why is everyone so negative about people and about oneselves?  Jesus told us that the answers and the Kingdom that we seek is within us.  Why the resistance and who is putting it there and why?

4. profile image0

It is also said in the bible that the heart is wicked.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Old or New Testament and if it is of anything St. Paul says, then it is not true.  What comes from the heart is wicked if you so chooe it to be.  If you have no idea what I am talking about check your thoughts and your heart.

6. profile image0

Are you saying Paul is a liar?  The same Paul who wrote ACTS?

7. Lady Guinevere profile image68

He had a different agenda that Jesus did, put it that way.

8. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

@Debra

Really? Are you really so oblivious to all of the violence, mayhem and terrorism going on in the world right now? That's all MAN'S doing.

9. Lady Guinevere profile image68

@joseph, are that blind to not be able to see all the good that we are doing? Try reading NatGeo, Smithsonian, Mother Earth News, Science and Tech stuff. Open your eyes!

10. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Until man can learn to live in peace and harmony with his fellow man all of those "accomplishments" are worthless.

11. Lady Guinevere profile image68

@joseph, and it all begins with Self and no one else.  Find peace and love WITHIN, not outside.  One persons peace will never be like anothers. Peace Be With You...Jesus said.  My Peace I give To You..in your Heart WITHIN you. Find Your Peace.

12. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

And what of those who love violence and death? No, only when Christ Jesus as Heavenly King of God's Kingdom brings these to account for their wrongdoing at Armageddon will we all finally have true peace and security.

13. Omer123 profile image60

come on .. God is the one who is the creature of every thing we cant neglect Him

14. profile image0

Amen Joseph!  To say we need to look within ourselves to find God--that is buddhist or yoga or something.  We need Jesus!

15. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Thanks Star! smile

16. Austinstar profile image84

Aw jeez, why didn't your all powerful, all knowing god just do it right in the first place? Was he just too mean? Or too stupid to figure out that mankind was going to mess everything up? And you guys just keep waiting around for him to fix his mess?

Luke 17:20-22 And having been questioned by the Pharisees, when the reign of God doth come, he answered them, and said, `The reign of God doth not come with observation;
      21 nor shall they say, Lo, here; or lo, there; for lo, the reign of God is withi

18. Austinstar profile image84

Yep, take some personal responsibility and quit waiting for a god to fix you.

19. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Man cannot thwart God's original purpose. He most certainly will fulfill his intent to convert the entire Earth into a paradise filled with only the good. The time that elapses until then serves to answer THE most important question of the universe.

5. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

I would say everything. God whom we see as the Almighty can do everything and has knowledge of everything that humans don't. For example, we humans don't understand the laws of the Universe, how and why times runs and why does it control us to such an enormous extent, why is past, present and future beyond our control (even though we like to think it is), what is the purpose of our existence.
    The questions are endless and I like to believe that God is the one and only super power who has the answer to everything. We don't even know if we are meant to ever find out these answers. We humans are so clueless and powerless about everything that we need to believe in a super power who does have the control over things that we don't.
    Humans are blessed with rationality, emotions and ability to think, but these also make us sensitive to suffering. God is the one we turn to when we don't know how to eliminate our suffering or how to fix our problems.

I should think you would do better to turn to a doctor to eliminate your suffering and to your own self to fix your problems. We will one day be able to answer your questions on everything, no god needed.

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God is not outside. God lives in the body of everyone.

3. Omer123 profile image60

@temptor94 you are right we don't have any knowledge about any thing God is the one having the knowledge and command over every thing .. we should be thankful to Him for every thing very blessings we have instead of being an atheist

@Omer, if God was in charge of everything then why did Jesus tell s us to Heal Ourselves?  He also admonished many when he told us that we are of little faith (in ourselves).

And just where in the Bible did Jesus say any of that? Are you just making stuff up again while hoping nobody dares challenge you on it?

Austinstarposted 9 years ago

The only thing that limits us to being 'god-like' is us! We have the brains to accomplish anything we set out to do. Look how just one TV show - Star Trek - changed the world!
    We are making huge strides in all the areas of science and philosophy. The only thing holding us back is the limited thought processes of un-educated people.
    Someday, quite soon, we will be able to instantly update everyone via the internet and perhaps implantable memory.
    To the stagnate thinking humans of today, tomorrow will be magic. We will be able to do anything and everything that they assume a 'god' can or can't do.
    It's just a question of education and application.

@Joseph, we always find solutions and without those "evil" thigs and people we would never grow spiritualy and learn tohelp others.  We would become stagnant. The planet and ppl do not work that way.

2. Austinstar profile image84

Debra, could you please delete all of JOPs comments? If not, please delete my answer entirely. His copy/pasted diatribes make me ill. I choose to ignore everything he says and would rather not have him associated anywhere near my name.

"There is simply no greater fool than the one who refuses to accept what has been revealed to be true ." - Unknown

Sorry AS for not getting this sooner.  The thing is with these types of ppl they can do no research on their own.  His last statement proves it.  They think it is Love but it is only HATE. He goes round and round with and never is satisfied.

5. Austinstar profile image84

Thank you. I really do have little regard for people who limit themselves. That's one reason that I like you so much! You have such an open mind!

6. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Oh and I have been told my brains are falling out. lol  Some ppl are so afraid of learning new things, it is ridiculous.  When I was told about the Banned Books and how you will go to Hll if you read them...I read them! They have cuz 2 B afraid. TRTH

See Ezekiel 33:8, 9.

8. Lady Guinevere profile image68

@Joseph and others,  I do NOT want to see Bible Scripture on my ?'s unless I aks for them.  I will not play the mery-go-round of scripture.  You have brains, so use them.

9. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Last I checked, only Atheists and Antichrists despise the sublime Word of God. Which one are you again?

7. one2get2no profile image72
    one2get2noposted 9 years ago

I would have thought that was obvious.....create a universe.

1. mybrianthe fixer profile image61
      mybrianthe fixerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Get me his/her email address and we wil have a debate. Phone number. Or postal address, also ok. Does he/she. Have a twitter account  contact me on any of the above. Or talk to my mind to me personally and this hopeful believer will send the word out

8. Joseph O Polanco profile image41
    Joseph O Polancoposted 9 years ago

Only God can create life and resurrect our dead loved ones by recreating them.

I guess you never heard of The Testube Baby, that lives even today and has her own children, or how we are growing body parts from our own genes, or Stem Cell Therapy....

2. profile image0

God provided the means by which the test tube baby was born, and God is the one who granted the knowledge of stem cell therapy.  If God wills it, it happens.

Are you seriously suggesting man created the spermatozoa, female egg and uterus used in in vitro fertilization? Boy, you Atheists are a hoot! smile

@Joseph. hahahahahaha!  I am NOT an Atheist.  Go on with urself and Star too.  U 2 are the biggest comediens I have ever met. hahahahaha!

If it quacks like an Antichrist Atheist, waddles like one and bears the fetor of one  ...

6. Lady Guinevere profile image68

@Joseph your ignorance and stupidity are showing.  I will not have any of your derogatory remarks.
      @Star read your bible and tell us where Jesus said the Kingdom of heaven is and where God resides and all the laws are....WITHIN all of us. I no lie!

7. profile image0

Jesus never said that the kingdom of God was within us; He said we had to look for it; that no one could get to the Father except through Him; Heaven is a place, and we need to choose Jesus and invite Him into our hearts!

8. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Star is that waht your preacer told you?  Look a bit further.  It is there I promise.

9. profile image0

It says that right in the bible!  John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

10. Lady Guinevere profile image68

That is not the verse tha I am talking about.

11. profile image0

Then what is the verse you are talking about?  Quote it, please.

12. Lady Guinevere profile image68

I will not, you look for it.  Look Within up on Biblegateway do com in the Young's Literal Translation. It is in the NT.

13. profile image0

The only thing that pops up is Nehemiah 6:10.  Other than that, I type in "Kingdom of God within us" and I get no results.

14. Lady Guinevere profile image68

Star, Luke 17:21

15. profile image0
      SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Luke 17:21  Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (KJV)

16. profile image0

You've interpreted it wrong.  Read the whole paragraph, not just the verse line.  Jesus is saying that the kingdom of God is not going to come the way we'd expect.

*I* have interpeted it wrong???  I have read the whole paragrapn and the whole chapter.  He said the kingdom is within you not outside of you....church will teach you the it is outside and that is wehre you get your confusion from.

18. profile image0

He meant that the kingdom of God is among you--when you pray with others, God is in your midst.

19. Lady Guinevere profile image68

It does not say anything like that!  Boy I don't know about you.  He also mentions himself as the son of man and not of God..interesting eh?

20. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Actually, the passage correctly reads,"ἰδοὺ γὰρ ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐντὸς ὑμῶν ἐστιν" that is to say, "For look! the Kingdom of God is ***IN YOUR MIDST***.”"(Emphasis mine) Christ was referring to himself as the King of God's Kingdom.(cf. Mt. 6:9,10)

9. profile image51
    hvk940posted 9 years ago

God can do anything ....can destroy the whole world but a man can't

Oh, it is a certainty that man CAN destroy the whole world. Ever since the development of the atomic bomb. Or haven't you ever heard of it?

2. Medusa13 profile image73
      Medusa13posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Man can and is destroying the world! Man could destroy the world very quickly with the bombs that have been created.

3. Omer123 profile image60

@hvk940 exactly we can't do any thing you are right ..
      @ L.A Cargill you are right man can destroy the world but are you not familiar that who creates the atom which man is using in atomic reaction .. can you or any man can create the atoms never ..

4. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

You make a great point Omer!

5. Dmitry Kresin profile image41
      Dmitry Kresinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God can't destroy the whole world since Whole World and God is the same. God can't destroy himself smile

Omer, ask yourself, why are humans so obsessed with the idea of "creation". You can accept that "a god" was never created, but you can't accept that the whole universe was never created?

Because the universe is 13.70 billion +/- years old. Whatsoever begins to exist always has a cause. The cause of the universe's beginning was God.

8. Austinstar profile image84

So, how old is this god and where did it come from and where does it live?

9. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

God is timeless, which necessarily means he's always existed, and, because he created the universe, he naturally exists outside of it. Here are the details: http://bit.ly/10j5YgK

10. Austinstar profile image84

Have you looked up the meaning of the word "universe"? There is no "outside" of it.

11. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

So the singularity which supposedly birthed our universe 13.70 +/- billion years ago existed where exactly?

12. Austinstar profile image84

String theory is no longer considered a workable model for the universe. You need to keep up.

13. Joseph O Polanco profile image41

Medice, cura te ipsum.

String? Puhlease. Try Borde-Guth-Vilenkin.

14. profile image51
      hvk940posted 9 years agoin reply to this

why we are fighting here.....

10. Rosualdo Ponce profile image80
    Rosualdo Ponceposted 9 years ago

Look at yourself at the mirror and you will see the beauty of God's creation, a simple work of God that the holder of beauty can't do. Look around you and you will see more works of the Lord. Look at Jesus' death on the cross by faith and you will see the best work of God that no one can do.

11. Dmitry Kresin profile image41
    Dmitry Kresinposted 9 years ago

Well, the main and big difference is that God doesn't break his own rules (or rules of our Universe). God is our system... we are inside the system, we are just a part of it. God is not a part .. it is everything. So, we can leave in a balance with the system or break this balance. God doesn't have this choice - he is always in a balance with everything around.

12. Sojourner1234 profile image66
    Sojourner1234posted 9 years ago

God can create 'ex nihilo' for starters.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)