Do you believe that some religious people are to blame for, more people becoming

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)
  1. chuckandus6 profile image76
    chuckandus6posted 8 years ago

Do you believe that some religious people are to blame for, more people becoming atheists?

Maybe people feel as though they are not ever good enough not because of God but because of other people condemning everything and give up on pursuing to be "Good"

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

There are probably just as many reason why one is an atheist as there are for why believes in God.
    To start with {beliefs} are taught. No baby enters this planet believing in God. For the vast majority of believers religion has been passed down from one generation to the next. In fact the Catholic Church has a practice of baptizing infants. Cleary there's no way the infant made the choice.
    So imagine growing up in a household where no one went to church, believed in a God in the sky, Adam lived to be 930 years old, the earth is less than 10,000 years old, Samson killed 1000 men with only the jawbone of a donkey, foreign languages were created because people were building the tower of babel to reach heaven, God and Satan had a wager of how Job would behave if he lost everything, Jesus was killed on a Friday and rose (3) days later but instead of that being Monday it's a Sunday....etc
    These along with countless other things described in the bible would give most scientific logical thinkers reasons to have doubts or not believe.
    When you through various wars and battles waged in the name of God along with some of his {fans} who insist upon controlling how other's choice to live their lives. All of the various religions and denominations around the glove insist their God and faith is "the one"
    God made man and man made religion.

1. chuckandus6 profile image76
      chuckandus6posted 8 years agoin reply to this

good answer and you are right how you are raised does make a difference to.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see quite a few type-o's in my answer. Glad you got the gest of it though!smile

3. Jane Err profile image58
    Jane Errposted 8 years ago

People believe all sorts of nonsense.  The thing is....they truly believe it!  There have been thousands of religions and each religion had a following.  Mark Twain said, :religion was created when the first conman met the first fool."  I wouldn't go that far.  In some cases religion has helped people in distress, it has held them up in perilous times, it has offered hope to the hopeless.  The problem is this....people won't leave other people alone to think and worship as they choose.  They slaughter, maim, torture, beat and scare people into believing as they believe.  What's wrong with these people???? I call them control freaks, others call them devout.....

4. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

Not entirely to blame, and for many not at all to blame - but I do believe that some Christians do a better job of turning people away from Christianity than they do encouraging people to join (some not all).

As Gandhi is often quoted as saying (paraphrased) - I like your Christ, but not your Christians, they are not like your Christ.

Whilst I already had my Agnostic Atheist beliefs, there have been occurrences particularly recently that had I still been on the fence, I would have definately been pushed off the fence and away from Christianity if I based it on the behaviour of some prominent Christians - particularly due to my level of outright disgust at their behaviours and those defending their behaviours.

So - if people proclaim to be Christian, yet do not act Christ like (and expect others to do so instead), they are more likely to turn people away than to encourage them to join. In my humble opinion anyway!

1. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject too. If x-tians really lived "peace and love" they would get a great deal more followers than they do by preaching "you are a sinner needing forgiveness".

2. profile image0
      Mel92114posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it, Jacqui. You said how I feel quite perfectly smile

3. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Aww thanks for the best answer.

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

actually it is the believers ( atheists) strength in believing or not. You can't entirely blame of religious people. Everyone has the right to believe or not. Depend on your faith, logical thinking

6. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

Oh its a fact that some people are atheists simply because of how religious people went about spreading their faith.

If I had to go solely by the actions of some of the religious people right here on HP, it would be more than enough to not want to jump on their religious bandwagon.

1. Gordon Wright profile image66
      Gordon Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A bunch of clueless sheltered church people nearly converted me to atheism when I was young. In the end I decided it was about God, not what those idiots thought was God.

7. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I suppose it happens, but that's not what happened to me.  The traumatic experiences surrounding inadvertently joining a cult is what caused me to lose faith. 
    I'm fully aware that people are responsible for their own behavior.
    It's just that the Christian God shows less concern for His reputation than most celebrities.  If Oprah had known Boko Haram was planning to kidnap those girls in Nigeria, she'd put a stop to it.  Christians claim we all have free will, but apparently, according to their God, Boko Haram takes precedence over the free will of those students trying to better themselves.  In other words, Might makes Right. 
    This philosophy does not serve me well, so I've chosen to not follow it.

8. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 8 years ago

I don't blame anyone for becoming an atheist. I think we are all entitled to what we believe here on earth. It is up to the individual to have a belief and not rely on other people to tell them that what they should believe in. Religious people might try to convince an atheist to believe in their religion but it is up to the individual to make up their mind.

9. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

I do think that religious extremists produce more atheists. While the vast majority of religious people are not extremists, they aren't the ones on television representing their religion. So, an impressionable young person might look at the news, or the people shouting on street corners, and think these religions are too angry or hateful to join.

10. MonkeyShine75 profile image60
    MonkeyShine75posted 8 years ago

No, every person becomes who they are because of their own choices.
    We can be influenced as very young children, but when we are adults, it's all a matter of choice

11. Soraya Gazzaz profile image54
    Soraya Gazzazposted 8 years ago

When bad things happen and we can't find the reason we passively blame  and give answers according to what justifies.
    To put religions as the main reason is such a shallow answer, because there are millions of sub reasons under religions that may be the cause. You might blame your teacher for being a bad one, but if deep inside you wanted to learn and pass, you would have found a way. Being an atheists is very easy but yet very hard. We as humans are instinctively looking for the meaning of life. When we can't we blame religions for not making a good meaning according to our needs. We struggle to find the truth that will ease our heart. after a great struggle We run to atheism because it is a place where "the truth" doesn't have to be applied nor pressured. As religion leads you or holds atheism may seem to set you free. And it is always easy to prove something unseen nonexistent then to prove otherwise. The eyes wants to believe in the seen but the heart wants to surf for more..

12. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

I don't know about "religious people," but as a "believer," No!  They have "free will" to "...choose this day whom they will serve!"  (Joshua 24:14-15)

How can a "believer" give an "unbeliever" SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE of God who is Spirit?  If that's what they are looking for and don't "believe" nor have "faith," it will never happen!  They can use the Word of God as an excuse for "becoming atheist," but it will always remain TRUTH! 

I John 4:1 tells ALL to "...test the spirits to see whether they are from God..." but do atheists "truly" do this?  How many have "truly" "humbled themselves" (II Chronicles 7:14) and "leaned not to THEIR own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5)?  They continue to "look" (literally) for HARD EVIDENCE!  This is a "spiritual" journey where SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE is irrelevant! 

This journey does not  depend on what "man" says, only the Word of God!   "Atheist" find it very difficult not to "lean to THEIR own understanding" which they MUST do if "truly" seeking God!  Once they "humble themselves," with a "pure HEART," study, and put their "faith" into action, they will be given all the "Hard Evidence" they need.  In other words, "believing" and having "faith" produces ALL of the Hard Evidence one is seeking! 

No one wants "TRUTH" for it hurts!  They want Scripture to "appease" their "itching ears" (II Timothy 4:3).  However, the Word of God says in Hebrews 4:12 that "...the Word of God is ...sharper than a two edged sword..."  Therefore, It hurts! 

When the Word doesn't align with people's lifestyle, they're out!  However, God is tired of man "playing church" and TRUTH must be told whether offensive or not!  Did Jesus not offend the Scribes and Pharisees?  Yes!  So much they killed him!     

Matthew 24:13 says "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."

13. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 8 years ago

I am an atheist, in part, because I grew up with a mother who was overly religious. She believed the Holy Spirit talked to her and told her what to do. As a kid, I often wondered: Why doesn't the Holy Spirit talk to me? Aren't I special? We were taught to pray for what we wanted which, of course, caused a lot of frustration with God when He didn't come through for us. My mother was adamantly opposed to sex out of marriage. However, when my dad died, she quickly got a boyfriend and started having sex with him. She justified it by saying: "It's okay because I'm too old to get pregnant!" It just seems people who are religious make up the rules to suit their needs.

1. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

NM: "..caused a lot of frustration with God when He didn't come through for us." GOD looks @ the heart; apparently, u didn't come thru for HIM (pure heart)!
      Mother r not, if not according to WORD=SIN!

14. Riley Hudson profile image57
    Riley Hudsonposted 8 years ago

I have seen individuals turn to atheism because of a religious group that was very forceful and condemning in their ways upon others. It was basically put that if they did not completely conform to their ways, regulations, and/or doctrine in all that they do then they were not righteous or accounted worthy to be a part of the group anyway. Seeing that they could not live or meet up to the standards and expectations they turned completely away believing that there must not be a God.

1. profile image51

Awww!  They didn't "WAIT" (Acts 1:4) for HELP from the Holy Spirit to "See what they were told was true," (Acts 17:11) nor did they bother to find out by "Studying" HIS WORD (II Tim 2:15)! 
      Salvation must not have been that important to them!

2. Riley Hudson profile image57
      Riley Hudsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So are you trying to interpret the Holy Bible? Or maybe you just looked up scriptures from the internet that you thought went with my comment. Or you are making fun of Atheists?

3. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

There won't be much diversity from her...or sense in most cases.

Just verse after verse...

4. profile image51

Neither!  Like Link said REPEATING "verse after verse!" 
      I am as u guys, NOTHING (human) but w/1 diff, I BELIEVE! 
      My job is to REPEAT HIS WORD whether 1 likes r not!
      Link:  I Cor 2:14!

15. Louis Rabaud profile image61
    Louis Rabaudposted 7 years ago

Re: The Above:
    The answer to that question is a bit complex. But if we give some thought into it, we will come to the answers we are looking for!  First of all, God created each man or woman with complete freedom. Let's say, that we are free agents, otherwise, we are free to do what we want. But as I did mention before, that with that freedom comes the burden of choice. Which means, men have to choose wisely before committed himself.

With that said, one is responsible for his own destiny. Which is to understand as well, that if one committed a sin, he is the one to blame for it and no one else. Which comes to the fact, that, if some religious people happened to do something wrong, that should not be taken for granted; or use as an excuse for someone to do the same thing or to get away with his religion or congregation.

It has to be realized, that the Church itself is not at fault. The Church is never at any fault and it will never be at fault. Because, the founder of the Christian Church is Jesus Himself. But his ministers who run it may be at times committed errors. They are the ones to blame for those errors and not the Church. One should not loose faith in the Church, just because some ministers had committed something bad against the Laws of God. Or use that as an excuse to become atheists. Besides! these ministers are only human. They are the ones who are more vulnerable. Our obligation to these poor ministers, is to pray for them, so they can perform their tasks as it should be.

1. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Amen! Amen! Amen! 
      Choice!  Joshua 24:15 says "Choose!" 
      But some do look for ANY EXCUSE to place "blame" for their "unrighteous" choices!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)