What makes so many people alarmed over the issue of transgenderism and transgend

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

What makes so many people alarmed over the issue of transgenderism and transgender

people? What makes many people view transgenderism as an "aberration" instead of accepting the fact that there are people who are uncomfortable in their original gender bodies and they want to be the gender that they are more comfortable with?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12414720_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

I think there's a tendency in society to fear people who are "other". The norm here in the US used to be white, Christian, straight, and not poor. Those with the luxury of time to contemplate such things feared anyone who was not white, practiced a different religion, or was poor. At some point along the way, most people got over the racial and religious differences, probably as they got to know people of different races and religions, and found out they were not so different after all. Maybe some people have also learned this about the poor.

It took a long time for people to get over the idea that not being straight could be included in the norm, and I think that only occurred as more non-hetero people felt comfortable enough to live openly.

Transgender people are just at the beginning of the process of becoming accepted. As more transgender people live openly, and we learn they are our neighbors, and just like us, they will also become part of the norm.

In the meantime, most people don't know a transgender person. We fear what we do not know. In the same way jews, blacks and gays were treated as "other" at previous points in history, and then accepted as "us", transgender men and women are going through the same struggle, and have to fight a similar battle to be accepted.

There will always be those who view people who are not like them as strange and aberrant. That's how we end up with the KKK, Westboro Baptist, and gay conversion therapy. There is no cure for this extremism, except to wait it out, until the believers die off, see the light, or are so far on the wrong side of history that they're seen by mainstream society as complete nut jobs.

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hereby designate the three letter acronym "CNJ" to mean "complete nut job"! I wonder if these people's brains are literally filled with nuts?

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I don't think there's anything up there but the occasional squirrel, looking for nuts. I read what some of these people write, and it's so far from reason that I can't take it seriously. Assuming, of course, they know how to write...

3. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

I wonder if, like myself, these people have ever just wondered what it would be like to live the life of their opposite sex?
    As a teen, I often fantasized about being a guy. I thought I was born into the wrong sexed body. But I was a "tomboy" girl after all. These days I have accepted my sexual identity (female), but I still wonder about what it would have been like to be a guy.
    I think those that fear transgender are those that have suppressed their inner curiosity about having an opposite sex body.
    Lots of men like to dress in women's clothing for instance, and obviously many women like to dress in pants and t-shirts (sort of a man's tradition).
    Perhaps when people tried to express this curiosity, they were literally beaten by their parents or forced through some hideous punishment for even thinking of being the opposite sex. How tragic.
    We are forced to live in our bodies, but we do not necessarily identify with the sex of the body we were born into. What is so bad and scary about just imagining what it would be like to live as a different sex?
    In fact, what is so bad and scary about actually giving it a physical try out and/or a medical change if you like it?
    Some people are just scared of anything and everything. CNJs?

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

CNJs for the win!

4. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I think it's because people fear marrying one by accident; they may think they're getting a man when they're really getting a woman.  Something like that happened to a friend of mine, who met "him" through a dating service.
    People who are transgender should openly admit it, instead of hiding and fooling others.  Same with those who are gay.  We need to get rid of prejudice, so this can happen.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image68
      Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How is it fooling though? This person your friend met was a man, regardless of what type of body that person was born into.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Unless the person was born with the sex organs of both genders, then chose one over the other, that's not the case. What if one partner wants children? A transgender person could not naturally produce one. The partner has a right to know beforehand.

5. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

As with all other 'phobias' or general hatred/dislike for those of the rest of the LGBT community - FEAR and Ignorance.

We are built to fear what we do not understand, and for some this fear (caused by ignorance) causing them to be irrationally angry with the notion.  Here, you get your trans murders - of which there are FAR TOO MANY (1 would be too many, but there seems to be one a week at the minute - usually black trans-women of late).

I always find it weird when people have an issue with transgender people - I mean, we didn't care when they were in utero what gender they were going to be, as long as they were healthy.  Why do we care so much now that their physical gender does not match their internal gender? Why is it such a negatively big deal? They are still our child, our family, our friend. And yet, people work to make them "unhealthy" by discrimination, abuse, threats of murder etc - not good for your mental health at all.

Even as a cis-gender (inside matches outside) gay woman, I cannot say I understand how a transgender individual feels - I can understand the basics but as I am cis-gender, there is no way I will ever know how they feel. BUT - I'm open to learning more.

Perhaps thats the difference between the CNJs and the decent people?

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

Transgender is probably a more legitimate problem than is homosexuality. TG isn't anything like homosexuality, because TG is really trying to be the opposite sex.

The cloning process didn't complete properly and the TG is not completely in either gender.

Homosexuality can be a mere sexual preference, and we have no way of trying to determine whether a person has more than a mere preference. While, the TG is a more tangible case, it still is abnormal, and anything abnormal is scary.

I think that the militant actions of the LGBT is scary, and it puts legitimate gender issues in the dark. Demanding to be taken as Normal, just doesn't make any sense.

We should all be treated as people, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to endorse a minority position. We don't have to endorse our own kind whatever is that kind. So why are we being forced to endorse someone else and their way of life.

When we are forced to do something, and it doesn't matter what is that something, it is scary.

7. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

When someone is anorexic, we don't give them stomach stapling surgery to make the body suit the warped body image.
    When someone is delusional and thinks they are Napoleon, we don't give them facial reconstruction surgery to look like Napoleon and demand everyone else address them as emperor.
    When someone says they don't feel like their limb is part of them, we don't arrange surgery to remove the limb.
    Yet with transgenderism, we somehow think in this one case of dysphoria, it is OK to remake the body to suit the delusion.

8. profile image54
    peter565posted 8 years ago

Two reasons, (One) the west still don't have a mature understanding, that a person have the right of freedom and if one don't cause harm to another and cause disturbance to society or the state, he/she have the right to freedom, to do whatever they want, even if u don't agree with or approve of their behavior. In the west this sort of idea of "A person have a right to freedom if not violating another person's freedom and cause no harm to society" is a very modern value, that only emerged in the west since the age of enlightment, it only began in the 18th century, so it is not fully mature yet. For those who don't know, this idea actually come from Asia. In other word, while the west, think this sort of value emerged in the west and all culture are like how the west was prior to this value and can only have such value due to western influence, this idea was actually an East Asia influence upon the west, during the 18th century, there is a lot of historians publishing academic papers proving it. including this paper from Colombia University http://www.learn.columbia.edu/nanxuntu/ … /ideas.pdf
    So, a lot of people don't know, but modern western value of human right and civil right is actually a result of 18th century Asia influence. (which is also why after taking power Mao initiate the culture revolution, it is to suppress any pro human right and civil right idea in China, so he can secure his power 1/10 of China's population died, as a result)

(Two) The bible teach people to conduct discrimination and hate towards a lot of people, amount some include, educated who contradict the bible, non virgins, non believers and gays, just to list a few I know of.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)