Syrian families are being "resettled" in America - how do you feel about it?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (183 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

Syrian families are being "resettled" in America  -  how do you feel about it?

The first family under a speeded up "surge operation" for refugee resettlement in America, left Jordan Wednesday for Kansas City, MO.  Ahmad al-Abboud, his wife and five children are coming as part of a targeted 10,000 people plan set up by President Obama by September 30th.. 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12959578_f260.jpg

2. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 8 years ago

The "Re-Location & Re-Settlement" of Christians to the United States, to my knowledge, has yet to be INTERRUPTED nor Impeaded, yet this Demographic seems to Commit MORE Crime against Humanity in America, including "Violent CRIME", than any other Foreign Invader Group that I can think of ~ What is your PLAN to Combat this ONGOING Crisis? Give everyone including the perpetrators even MORE Gunz I suppose? ~ Read your BIBLE & try to Understand what Humantitarian AID & COMFORT is all about ~ Will there be a few "BAD Dogs" in the bunch? Of course, after all, we let CON-man Trump's family into this great country right? but that never stopped us from ACCEPTING other Demographics ~

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Tin foil hat, you'd better start wearing it, those voices you hear are nuts. Yeah, Trump came from a country full of terrorists who were at war with all western civilizations.

2. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

These are Muslims - stop preaching your insane SJW doctrine

3. Alternative Prime profile image56
      Alternative Primeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lol  TSAD ~ "TinFOIL HAT"? ~ A COMPLIMENT I Guess ~ But you Failed to address the Primary ISSUE that "Christians", who either Immigrate here or are "Home Grown", Commit Infinately MORE Violent Acts than any Syrian Refugee has ever DREAMED of.

4. tsadjatko profile image65

Wrong! the primary issue here is the security of the country, but what do you cite as evidence of your primary issue, which of course coming from you will never be the security of Americans?

5. Alternative Prime profile image56

Various SOURCES Including ME ~ Use your Common SENSE ~ Thousands of Homocides Occur each Year in the U.S., and considering the Predominant Religion, or Derivative thereof is "Christian", figure it out, it's Basic Arithmatic ~

6. tsadjatko profile image65

Various sources and you can't name one? Why do I bother to even talk to you? You are not from this planet. That is easy to figure out with common sense.

7. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Please...provide us with the link to some real statistics AP - Since guns are legal, why is this an issue?  I suggest  you  open your house and invite these refuges to live with you, after all aid and comfort are your things, right?

8. Alternative Prime profile image56

lol ~ WHY Bother CITING the OBVIOUS when most CONservative Republicans "DENY & Dismiss" the FACTs, Mathematics, Science etc in favor of FOX Loser Snooze "PRETEND-Land"? Christianity is the Primary Religion here & Domestic Homocide Occurs DAIL

9. RJ Schwartz profile image88

What school did you attend?  The question is about Syrian Muslims, not Fox, not any political party, not Christianity

10. Alternative Prime profile image56

I was NOT "Home Schooled" & believe me, I'm very GRATEFUL for that ~ Someone else mentioned "Security of the COUNTRY" ~ If that's a Priority, WHY is "DRUMPF" Trump going to BLOCK Refugee Entry but NOT DEPORT Christians? ~

11. tsadjatko profile image65

Ralph, didn't take long, we've discovered the male version of Leslie!

12. RJ Schwartz profile image88

I was tempted to say it - maybe we should get them together

13. Alternative Prime profile image56

Just DEALING with the Irrefutable Stubborn FACTs Fellas ~ SORRY if the Actual Evidence Interferes with "Republican PRETEND-Land" ~

14. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Are you Muslim AP?  Or Athiest?  Oh I forgot, you worship the government.  Bet the high priest likes a good little alter boy like you, especially when you bow

15. AnnaMKB profile image88
      AnnaMKBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  Someone's gone off his meds. 8-O

3. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 8 years ago

I have very mixed feelings on this subject Ralph.  On the one hand, I feel very sorry for those who have had to leave their homes for fear of their own lives and the lives of their families.

On the other hand I have zero confidence in our governments ability to properly vet these people they want to bring to our country.  In some cases there are no records available for them to review.  I believe they would concentrate more on filling the quota of 10,000 refugees than the vetting process.

We already know that in Europe terrorists have been able to easily enter the country posing as refugees.  That could, and probably would happen here.

Will the refugees make any effort to assimilate into our society or move into a neighborhood populated by other refugees?  I know some will, but many will not.

We have people in our own country who could use some help they are not getting.  Yes, they do get survival rations in the form of food stamps, Section 8 housing, and other entitlements, but these things are purely for survival.  Nothing is offered such as skills training that would get them off the dole and make them productive citizens.

It seems we give special treatment to "refugees" and people in our country illegally and ignore our own citizens.

Much of this effort is purely political in an effort to gather votes.  Most politicians have very little regard for anyone not a member of the Washington elite.

Yes, Obama and others will be able to add this refugee import to their legacy, but is it good for our country?  I don't know and they could care less.

This man was interviewed an he really wants to be an American - could be a poster child to create the feel good cover for the rest of them?

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gee, do you think any of them would lie about what they really desire?  But that is a great example of what our government considers reasonable vetting.  Just ask them what they intend to do and believe what they say.

3. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Mike, I don't care if they are good or bad, actually - I just don't want them -America needs to look after Americans before we spend money on foreigners - just ask a homeless Vet how they feel about it

4. profile image0
      SonOfSkyrim201posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ralph- How very accepting of you. Why don't we just let them all die? Is that what you want?

5. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Their welfare means nothing to me.  As an American, the interests of America come first, second, third, and only

6. tsadjatko profile image65

Fardmir,there are people all over the world who need refuge for all kinds of reasons.No matter how many we take are we letting all the rest die?According to your reasoning we are,so I guess we should take them all?We can't let them die,right?

7. profile image0

Many countries could care less about the people unless they are in the ruling class.  Yet we get involved trying to save them while ignoring our own homeless problems.  I'm with Ralph on this, we need to care for our own first.

8. RJ Schwartz profile image88

just left you a comment on that excellent hub Mike

9. profile image0

Agreed the government should take care of their people first. But completely ignoring the people who are being killed and dying of starvation? That's a bit extreme.

10. tsadjatko profile image65

So it's not extreme to ignore almost all of them?Your definition of extreme is self serving to your point of view which is baseless.Where should the line be drawn to make you"feel"like it's not extreme cause that's all you're about,feelings.

11. RJ Schwartz profile image88

What rationale says I should care about some one 3000 miles away who won't even help their own cause by fighting against the Islamic tyranny ?

12. profile image0

This may sound strange, but I feel the same way about dogs.  There are dogs in shelters dying every day because nobody will adopt them and take them home.  We can't possibly take care of every starving person in the world.

13. tsadjatko profile image65

That's it Mike, just proof how "extreme" we are! And what about cats, they need 3 meals a day and shelter.

14. profile image0

You got it Tsad.

15. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mike, would you tell people not to adopt dogs from shelters because they once belonged to someone else? And why bother saving one if some are going to die anyway, right?

16. profile image0

Also these are people, not dogs.

17. profile image0

I used dogs as an example of a living thing needing help and nobody comes.  Besides that, I like dogs more than I like most people.

18. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The fact that terrorists could/are willing too come in with the refugees is a solid reason to require that anyone we do resettle here be fully vetted.  If we can do a full background check, then we can let them in.  Otherwise, no.

19. profile image0

Hxprof that is exactly what should happen.   But will it?

20. profile image0

OP, I'm afraid that it won't happen that way.  There are enough open border fools and folks that really could give a rat's butt (heads in sand) that nothing's going to change for the better.  The Minuetmen were the last gasp for secure borders.

21. RJ Schwartz profile image88

I'm all for sopping immigration totally for a food period and cocentrating on developing a better system

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

It only took 19 Muslim Terrorists to successfully attack the US on 911, and the US military didn't have a single defensive move. Three muslim terrorists in Brussels. Two muslim terrorists in San Bernardino California.

So letting even one muslim terrorist into the country is one too many.
    We have already adopted over 10 millions hispanics in the US. At least they only threatened our economy, while muslim terrorists threaten our way of life.
    There are many Middle Eastern Countries and other muslim controlled countries, and that is where the Syrians should go.
    People always whine about gun control, but where are they when loaded people can come into the US without any controls?

The Liberal Plantation needs more workers!!!!  They are afraid that Trump will deport the illegals, so they are turning to refugees which are much harder to get rid of.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Obama owns this one.

3. tsadjatko profile image65

You mean he can't blame Bush for it?

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

Ralph

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
      ISIS and the Syrian refugee problem only happened in Obama's 2nd term. Maybe he should blame Obama of the 1st term.

5. Alternative Prime profile image56

FYI ~ Just for the RECORD ~ ISIS was BORN from the Rubble of Moron George W Bush's "War of CHOICE" in Iraq ~ 9/11 Occured on George W Bush's Tenure ~ THOUSAND's of OUR Military Sons & Daughters were either Wounded or KILLED under George W BUSH ~

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

ISIS didn't come out and take geography until Obama was in office. Obama let the US troops out of Iraq. Congress both parties OKed the war. There is enough blame to go around. Maybe even enough to get you.

7. tsadjatko profile image65

I knew Bush was the blame, everything is his fault.

8. RJ Schwartz profile image88

The Arab Spring made ISIS

9. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

ISIS was nothing credible until Obama pulled the US out of Iraq. We never heard of ISIS during Bush. Syria also happened during Obama. live with it.

10. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was going to post an answer, but Brad took the words right out of my mouth.

11. Alternative Prime profile image56

Nope TSAD, Not everything is George W Bush's Fault just 9/11, the Creation & FOSTERING of ISIS, & the "GREAT Recession" which Presient Obama Miraculously PULLED this Country out of ~ A few other  DISTASTERs but those are the most Note-WORTHY

12. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

AP
      You have quite the imagination.

13. RJ Schwartz profile image88

I think the huge amount of debt Obama added should be added to your list AP and of course giving Iran nukes was good too

14. tsadjatko profile image65

But Ralph, those too are Bush's fault. If it wasn't for blaming George Bush for everything the Democrats never could have gotten Obama elected.

15. profile image0

This might be a stretch, but is it possible that AP and Leslie are one and the same person?  Their style of their comments and their interpretation of facts are very parallel.

16. RJ Schwartz profile image88

No, AP is a zealot, Leslie is abrasive

17. tsadjatko profile image65

Two peas in a pod of you ask me. There is a tinfoil hat hiding somewhere for both of them.

18. profile image0

Yes, agreed that Obummer owns this one.  But  when it comes to illegal immigration, Bush was a friend to open borders. By association, Bush was a friend of allowing foreign terrorist operatives access to our country.  Bush/Obummer: lousy on security

19. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Our leaders have always had the "look the other way" attitude toward illegals, now the problem is out of control and fingers are being pointed, when it's the governments fault, not any party

5. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

We're still struggling with all the "unaccompanied minors" from Central America and Mexico that arrived in 2015 and before.
    We should get credit for the millions of Mexicans, Central Americans and Carribeans we've taken in and not take in any more.

Great observation - but I think in order to count they need to be given refugee status which basically legalizes them

6. profile image54
    peter565posted 8 years ago

Their wife and children can come, but the men should fight in the Syria army.

tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12959819_f260.jpg

The first order of business charged to the President's keeping is the security of the country, not the security of refugees from a war he could have stopped (just because he probably feels guilty that he didn't stop what's going on in Syria when they crossed his red line, and he absolutely could have).

What he is doing with refugees is a violation of his duties as President and I guarantee you will come back to bite our ass, not his, probably after he is gone. If he ever had empathy for refugees or the innocents now being subject to ISIS genocides (thanks to his inaction against Assad or what BO called the "JVs" ) he'd have nipped the terrorists in the bud. Where did he think the Varsity get's its players from? He is so sophomoric he can't even miss-categorize a threat accurately when he wants to.

Anyway, what's it matter how anybody feels about it. The dictator has spoken.

I think the globalist ambitions of Obama override any commit to America's safety or sovereignty - its not about empathy, its about diluting American culture and splitting opinion

8. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Regardless of anyone's political views, I hope these people are greeted with kindness and acceptance.  I'm sure it's no secret that there are many people opposing their arrival, and I'm sure it's not easy walking into that on top of everything else.  Just remember that it's not their fault the government implemented a program that you disagree with, and think about them as HUMAN BEINGS trying to keep their families alive.

We have homelessness, hunger, and a myriad of other issues right here in our own country - I think we need to focus on helping American Citizens before accepting any refugees from anywhere else - all politics and religion aside.

2. Aime F profile image71

That's still political.  All I'm saying is don't take out your frustrations on the wrong people (the refugees).

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

Aime
      When you can't tell a good refugee from a terrorist refugee, why are you oblivious to the threat from these refugees. How many times do I have to remind that it only took 19 muslim terrorists to successfully attack the US. Only 2 in Ca.

4. Alternative Prime profile image56

Aime ~ CONservative Republicans start WARz with the WRONG Countries and U Expect Rational Solutions and or ANSWERS to Valid Questions? ~ Brad ~ HOW Many LIVES are taken by Domestic "Christian" Terrorists EVERY DAY yet NO Plans to DEPORT them?

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

AP
      It sounds like you should write a hub, and don't forget Vietnam. A war started by democrats and lost by democrats. Specifically LBJ.

6. Aime F profile image71

There are over 3 million Muslims living in the US who aren't attacking anyone.  I don't feel okay with refusing people refuge based on a very, very small % (who weren't even refugees).

7. profile image0

Aime, while I can appreciate your sincere caring for these HUMAN BEINGS does your caring carry over to our own homeless situation to include many military veterans?  Should we not take care of them too while importing 10,000 more homeless people?

8. tsadjatko profile image65

Aime,&what if that tiny percent,which you agree is there,winds up murdering your brother or sister or mother or father, or hundreds of neighbors.Would you then say it was worth the risk even though that door never needed to be opened.

9. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ralph's first response nailed it.

10. Aime F profile image71

Hypothetically I could have been born in a part of the world where I needed to flee for my child's safety, too.  I like to acknowledge that I've been lucky and not assume the worst about those who haven't.

11. tsadjatko profile image65

Iguess I asked a questionAime doesn't wish to answer!Maybe she can't because she doesn't want to give answer that would suggest she cares more for her friends and loved ones than people she doesn't know or else she cares about no1's safety

12. Aime F profile image71

You gave me a hypothetical and I responded with a hypothetical that weighs more heavily in my mind.  I think showing compassion is worth the risk.  If I don't have compassion I don't have much.

13. tsadjatko profile image65

Nice dodge, u still haven't answered my specific question.What if refugees murder your brother, sister, mother, father, and/or hundreds of neighbors.Would you then say it was worth the risk even though that door never needed to be opened.

14. Aime F profile image71

That's like asking me if my family died in a car accident on vacation if I would say taking a long road trip for pleasure was worth the risk. Risks exist in EVERYTHING. And I answered your question = "I think compassion is worth the risk".

15. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

Aime
      That is your acceptance of risk, but don't make it a risk for the whole country. There are enough people in the US, that need your compassion. Try to get focus on them first,

16. Aime F profile image71

I DO (in Canada)! I give my time. I pay a buttload of taxes that go to social assistance that you'll never see me complaining about. And I'm not asking everyone to agree w/ bringing the refugees, I'm asking everyone to not treat THEM poorly b/c of it

17. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The risk of dying in a terrorist attack is laughable. Dying in a terrorist attack is 1 in 25,000,000. you are 14 times more likely to die in your bathtub than in a terrorist attack. So get real please.
      Have some compassion.

18. The Indexer profile image82
      The Indexerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, Charity may indeed begin at home but why must it end there? Remember that many Americans are descended from refugees fleeing persecution - perhaps you are one?

19. RJ Schwartz profile image88

John - I'm sorry, but until our issues here are fixed, we need to put world charity on hold.

20. profile image0

There are always problems that need to be fixed. It's just a excuse. A country without problems does not exist. If you have a problem sometimes the best thing to do is to help someone else, it feels good to help someone and can fix your own problem.

21. AnnaMKB profile image88

In Halifax, confirmed, that new "refugee" boys have been violently assaulting girls at an elementary school.  The school has been caught lying about it.

9. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I can't condone accepting refugees from countries that have been at war for thousands of years, and that includes Syria. These people should stay home and work for peace in their own country. We didn't cause their wars, their religions did. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. What will happen to us if they convert a majority of people in this country. Some of the sympathizers need to take a serious look at this.

Agreed - if you add up the number of young men who left Syria, they could have formed an army more than capable of defeating ISIS and regaining their homeland.

2. profile image0

Ralph - It is interesting to me how so many jump on the refugee wagon yet say nothing about all of our own homeless including vets.

By the way, you asked me to write a hub, so I wrote a hub, now the hub ball is in your court my friend.

I agree Mike - the hypocrisy of some people is amazing - it's OK to allow our Vets to live on the streets but demand we import more "homeless" people

4. Aime F profile image71

It's interesting to me how many people don't say a damn word about the homeless unless arguing about refugees.  Often the same people who moan about giving money to anyone other than the middle class.

My wife and I had a homeless Vet live with us in a spare room for almost 9 months while she was recovering from injuries and PTSD - what have you done

6. Aime F profile image71

I said "many people" not everyone.  Good for you, seriously.

Whether you said many or not that isn't what he asked you - what have you done?It's interesting to me how people like you  argue about refugees but can't say they do a dam thing about the homeless.

8. Aime F profile image71

I've volunteered with all kinds of organizations since I was 15, I try to do as much as I can - definitely something I'm passionate about.  I'm glad Ralph is doing something, but that's not the norm (something I know having volunteered myself).

9. tsadjatko profile image65

So what you have done is"volunteered"to organizations.My experience with that&why I don't do it anymore,is that most volunteers volunteer to satisfy their egos&get recognition for their good intentions, more than to actually help the cause.

10. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

Many of these organizations have little connection with the cause. They are money gathering organizations for the charity.

Tsad - a bit cynical of you.  I agree that many people do it for the wrong reasons, but nonetheless it still happens.  Now the organizations that raise funds are usually giving just a small percentage to the actual cause

12. tsadjatko profile image65

Yeahbut, when Aime says things she says with screwed up priorities that if she was honest she wouldn't apply to her own loved ones she fits the boat of the kind of people I've encountered having been on the board of a volunteer organization.

13. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Fair enough - I didn't know you had history

14. tsadjatko profile image65

Boy did I ! I had to fight to stop a group of "volunteers" who were trying to take over the board, embezzling money, one hiding the fact he was a convicted rapist. All these "volunteers" fit my observations of what can happen in a volunteer

15. tsadjatko profile image65

organization to a tee,which is people who aren't happy with their lot in life,who crave the recognition they can't obtain in their jobs or home life where they consider themselves a nobody,try to be somebody by volunteering.Then they leave

16. tsadjatko profile image65

any humility at the door,try to assert themselves&run thingsdriving the truly altruistic volunteers away.I am cynical because I've experienced it first hand,&others I have met have had similar experiences with other organizations

17. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hadn't thought about there being enough young men to form their own army. You may be right, which is enough reason for me to disapprove of our taking them in. I fear some of the young refugees will go back and fight for ISIS.

18. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

MizBejabbers
      The scary party is maybe they won't go back to fight for ISIS, but do it here in America.

19. Alternative Prime profile image56

Everyone is simply "Speculating" about Accepting Refugees ~ ZERO Proof this Unleashes a WORST Case Scenario ~ But what about "Christians" who are already here & Kill Daily? Do we DEPORT this Religious Denomination to Mitigate the Violence?

20. MizBejabbers profile image87

AP, you certainly have my permission to deport them. Real Christians don't kill unless it is in self-defense. Have you asked any of these CURRENT MURDERERS not the Crusades or Dark Ages if they are Christians? They may be non-believers in anything.

21. Alternative Prime profile image56

At Least you are Consistant with your sentiment to begin a MASS-Deportation of the Entire Christian Faith Begining Immediately ~ You are indeed UNIQUE Amongst CONservatives ~ At least you have some  CREDIBILITY on the Subject ~ I Admire that ~

22. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

AP
      Why take a chance. Why are you such a terrorist sympathizer. Aren't the people in the US your first concern?

23. Aime F profile image71

You are one dark dude, tsad. I'm sorry you have such a bleak view of people, that makes me really sad. You have NO IDEA what my motivation for volunteering is or what my priorities are.

24. MizBejabbers profile image87

AP, I didn't say deport ALL Christians, just those who claim to be Christian and murder. Neither did I claim to be a conservative. I don't like people of any "faith" who murder. I don't consider murderers to be God-like or faithful. Thank you, truly.

25. Alternative Prime profile image56

My POINT is that "Christians" have a LONG Documented History of Committing VIOLENT Crimes here in the U.S. yet as a GROUP, you think they should be ALLOWED to stay here ~ 10,000 Syrian Refugees have ZERO History of Violence yet you would BAN them?

26. MizBejabbers profile image87

Why not?

27. RJ Schwartz profile image88

AP - we own America they don't -

28. tsadjatko profile image65

"Christians" have a LONG Documented History of Committing VIOLENT Crimes here in the U.S? Where is your proof of that? You think you can just say absurd things and people will believe you? You are truly not playing with a full deck of cards.

29. Alternative Prime profile image56

lol @ TSAD ~ MORE "Republican PRETEND-Land" Nonsense ~ "Denial of REALITY"? ~ Refuse to ACCEPT the FACT that Christans have a LONG Documented HISTORY of "Violent CRIME? lol ~ All I can say is OPEN Up your Browser & READ my friend ~

30. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Actually  AP there is a strong correlation between religious affiliation and the volume of violent crime - people believe their God forgives or rewards such behavior.  It's not specific to any religion.

31. tsadjatko profile image65

AP You said in the US(funny how u dropped that off)& U can't give me one source that supports that assertion.Violence committed in US in the name of Christianity does not qualify as Christians committing violence,they are not Christians.

32. Alternative Prime profile image56

"Character Limitations", hence the reason for "U.S." deletion ~ So, let me get this straight, an individual in the U.S. who tags himself / herself as a "Chrisitan", then Commits a VIOLENT Crime here, is thereafter NOT a Christian? Martian Maybe?

33. RJ Schwartz profile image88

We need to set up a task force to monitor Martian crime - it's imperative

10. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 8 years ago

That's good! But it's not enough, in my opinion.

So you want more refugees ??

2. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's what I said. :-)

3. tsadjatko profile image65

Why? Why do you want more refugees? How many more?
      Do you want them all to come to Puerto Rico?

4. IslandBites profile image89

I wish there wouldn't be any refugee, anywhere. But yes, US should help more people. And I dont mind if they come to PR, for me, they'll be more than welcome.
      Why do I want it? That's what good people wish and do, help others in need.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

IslandBites
      There are millions of American Citizens that need help, apparently not your country? There are more PR in NYC than in the capital of PR.

6. RJ Schwartz profile image88

I guess since your not a real American the dilution of the American culture means little to you

Forget dilution,given the state of the area of the world they are coming from and the fact terrorists have already entered countries as refugees from that area&committed mass murder & maiming of innocent people why open that door ?

8. IslandBites profile image89

What is a real american? LOL

One who puts America first and values and adheres to the Consitution and is a citizen

10. AnnaMKB profile image88

https://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/up … 3525_n.jpg
      7 men well dressed, with shoes.  1 woman.  Barefoot.  Carrying 2 babies, holding the hand of a 3rd child.  None of the men help her.

Women are like luggage to these animals

11. rolaabboud profile image66
    rolaabboudposted 8 years ago

I think that every country in the world should open their hands helping those poor people who faced many struggles during the past 5 years. Most of those people have not traveled out of there countries not even for a once in their life and when they traveled they traveled because of fear. Show some sympathy please! Your hearts are made of stones or what!

Nope - tell them to fight for their land instead of coming here

12. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

I'm answering my own question so I get more space.  I don't want refugees coming to America any more than illegal aliens or anyone else who doesn't follow the lengthy process of gaining citizenship - learning English, not dependent on any social programs, casting off the ways of their old land and embracing American culture, American values, and American law.  No sharia, no burka, no FGM, no honor killings, no acid attacks, no random rape of children, animals or anyone else.  Our culture should not be diluted by America being forced to change to accept the ways of newly arrived people.  They adopt to our ways or they leave.  It's my opinion and I don't care if anyone agrees with it or not.

1. profile image0

Ralph I agree with you.

I'm gettin damn sick of all the noise and counter arguments, so I just had to say it.

3. Aime F profile image71

Probably shouldn't ask a question about it if you're sick of "the noise".

4. RJ Schwartz profile image88

Aime the button pusher...I actually admire that quality in a person, but the noise part just became evident as I read over the comments

5. profile image0

Ralph, that used to be the way legal immigration was handled, until Ted Kennedy got involved in '64 I think it was.  After that, it became politically incorrect to demand that immigrants be expected to assimilate - it's now cultural suicide.

Thanks, I'm going to do more research and that gives me some direction

13. poetryman6969 profile image51
    poetryman6969posted 8 years ago

Influx from members of the world's most intolerant religion?  What could possibly go wrong?  Kiss Beer, Bacon, and Bikinis goodbye. 
    They won't tolerate these things.  Remember, the true meaning is "submission".
    If you don't understand that that means now, you will in the future.  Just like Germany does.

1)    Female genital mutilation
    2)    Punishing rape victims
    3)    Honor killing
    4)    Child Brides
    5)    Sexually enslaving women
    6)      Punishing homosexuals
    7)    Murdering homosexuals
    8)    Child marriage
    9)    Domestic Violence
    10)    Disciplining or Punishing Wives
    11)     Beating Wives
    12)     Violence Against Women
    13)     Forced Marriage
    14)     Women being beaten or raped for wearing "inappropriate clothing"
    15)     Women being beaten or raped for leaving the house without a male relative as a chaperon
    16)     Women and men beating beaten and sometimes killed for expressing inappropriate  thoughts in a blog.
    17)     Women and men being beaten and sometimes killed for being accused of disrespecting the religion of peace and tolerance.

Also, the belief that flogging, stoning, beheading and imprisonment are appropriate punishments for adultery, apostasy, witchcraft and blasphemy.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

A nice compendium most likely contained in Sharia Law as well. It is a 3rd world primitive belief system that is fighting its way into the liberals concepts of non discrimination. In modern society, it is a virus waiting to take control of the host.

Good analogy

3. Fenn Rirr profile image72
      Fenn Rirrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The onus is on the immigrants to adapt to the society of the country. By any means, practice their beliefs to their content, but never impose their beliefs on others. If only it's that simple. But it's not

4. RJ Schwartz profile image88

I heard on the news today about how the UK has done all these studies that prove Muslims aren't assimilating and it's really messed up some policy

5. The Indexer profile image82

What absolute nonsense! It is just this sort of ignorant paranoia that causes problems rather than solving them! Yes - all of the above happen in some Muslim societies, but the vast majority of Muslims are moderates.

Todays news - migrants attack border in Greece, migrant rapes, migrant gang violence in Vienna - respectfully John, please take your head out of the sand and see what is happening in Europe - those same people would be coming here

7. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

John
      Ignorant paranoia doesn't blow up people, but MUSLIM terrorists do. And when you can't tell the good from the bad, why take a chance. We have our own need citizens that we haven't done a good job of taking care. Charity should begin at home.

8. AnnaMKB profile image88

More breaking news in Canada that most media continue to ignore; confirmation that "refugee" boys in a Halifax school have been violently assaulting girls and threatening boys on a daily basis.  The school has been lying about it.

The Pope trying to score points takes refugee families to the Vatican - wonder what they will steal first - Muslim in a Catholic stronghold

14. Misfit Chick profile image74
    Misfit Chickposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12962862_f260.jpg

The religion and the people are not the problem. It is what OTHER fanatical believers of their religion are doing with it - basically, using it as a psychological & emotional weapon along with their physical weapons - and it is working.

The people are NO MORE AT FAULT than 'normal Christians' are when Catholic Priests sexually abuse children; or Christian leaders go to war for any of the reasons they have ever done so, throughout history.

The original pilgrims supposedly came here to escape persecution; and the US Constitution was written with Freedom of Religion in mind because the Founding Fathers knew that we were - already, at that point in time - a very diverse melting pot of religions and cultures; and it was something valuable to human rights that needed to be protected.

Many of those early immigrants took the long way around to get here as you have suggested. And many - if not most - of those people came here due to religious persecution.

The Syrian refugee situation has become a crisis - somehow, over other refugee situations around he world; but this kind of thing should probably be happening more often.

Most of these people have skills that they can and will utilize to contribute to this country after they get settled and adjust. It may take them each a few months - my family took in an Armenian family a long time ago. But, they are eventually able to stand on their own feet; and are grateful for the help. Some of them even start to try to affect the volitile situations in their countries from this safer distance.

I don't think our national security needs to be affected by this. Sure, maybe some hotheads slip through as they have in Europe and elsewhere. Hopefully, that is when the good guys step in - before something happens - as they have so many times, so far.

But, a 'surge operation' doesn't necessarily mean that they are compromising the safety of this country. It could mean things like 'bumping them up' over other requests; and curbing some of the 'time-consuming' rules such as - learning English, not dependent on any social programs, etc. - because those things take time in and of themselves that THEY DON'T HAVE the luxury of. Those things can be 'caught up on' after they arrive.

I don't have a problem - not one - with this refugee surge operation; and I would support more.

Here is this photo enlarged. It comes - from all places - Iran:
    https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12960107_f1024.jpg

Totally disagree - don't make the same excuse "it's only a few militants"  the entire premise of Muslim life, sharia law, and more - do you want to start wearing a burka? Lose you freedom to speak out?  Don't be PC, be an American

2. AnnaMKB profile image88

Syria has been in crisis for 5 yrs.  Now, suddenly, there are millions or "refugees"?  Now, suddenly, people notice and care?  Aid organizations had been trying to get help for persecuted Christians and Yazidi for years; they are still ignored.

Great point - should be looked into deeper

4. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is in fact only one belief about Muslims we all need to keep in mind at ALL times: The Radical Extremist Muslims want to KILL all "infidels. The moderate "peaceful Muslims want the Radical Extremist Muslims to kill all infidels."  The End

15. Jennifer Mugrage profile image71
    Jennifer Mugrageposted 8 years ago

It seems unlikely to me that a father, mother, and large number of children who are fleeing a war zone as refugees would come with a plan to carry out  a terrorist attack.  I would expect that more from young men who come as single men or who have left wives and children behind them.  These are also the guys that are committing opportunistic rapes. 

The father probably just wants to take care of his family.

A family that has fled a war zone is in crisis mode.  They just want to survive.  Yes they should integrate, but we must remember that this is a long process, which involves learning a whole new language and a new way of life down to details like where and how to shop, all while dealing with grief and trauma.  Imagine doing that with a houseful of kids. 

If we do not help them integrate by making friends and helping with language and with navigating our culture (including obeying our laws, BTW), then they will be more likely to do what is easiest ... settle into a neighborhood where they are surrounded by people from their own country.  There they will feel isolated from Americans and will be more likely to develop frustration, paranoia and fanaticism.

How do I feel about it?  "Welcome to America.  I hope this is good place for you to make a life for your family."

They are the "poster children" of the program, and by your response, the effort to pull the wool over people's eyes is working - soon single men will come, bet they won't be on the news though

2. AnnaMKB profile image88

It is a mistake to assume they have the same attitude towards family we do.  This is an area where the culture is one of "martyrdom," where a parent's greatest pride is for their children to become martyrs.  Too many "refugees" aren't refugees at all

Muslims throughout history have not shown any indication they want to assimilate into any culture but their own.

4. MizBejabbers profile image87

Women in Murmansk get molested by refugee men. 51 Muslim men taught a lesson by Russian males. http://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/02/russi … -beaten-up

Great link - Someone is finally letting these "invaders" know that their practices are not welcome.

16. emge profile image78
    emgeposted 8 years ago

I am surprised that Americans are allowing these refugees to come to USA. Muslims historically never integrate with the adopted nation. Americans will soon find the true colors of these refugees, when they would like to practice sharia and attack the US itself. Even second third generation Muslims are not loyal to the new nation. We have experience of India where they even refuse to chant national songs.
    Obama all said and done is a Muslim and that dictates his policy. All I can say is 'beware'.

Great answer

2. IslandBites profile image89

Suuuure, because "these muslims"are the first and only muslims in the US. Pft.

Not sure what you are trying  to say, but facts do show that Muslims are hardly the poster children of assimilation.

4. The Indexer profile image82

There are already more than 3 million Muslim people in the United States, the vast majority of whom are perfectly happy to live according to American values while still practising their religion.

5. AnnaMKB profile image88

John, it seems you are unaware of some of the polls done among Muslims in Western countries.  Significant numbers - including among those born and raised in Western countries - support ISIL, want sharia law, etc. even to attacking non-Muslims.

17. AnnaMKB profile image88
    AnnaMKBposted 8 years ago

I am all for helping genuine refugees; the problem is, in this current situation, few are refugees and fewer are Syrian.  We know there are many fake passports and IDs - or no IDs at all.  Thousands of able bodied young men are migrating to Europe, leaving women and children behind to starve.  And who is being brought in?  Not the persecuted peoples, but those who are doing the persecuting.  Look at what's already happening throughout Europe, with rape epidemics, riots, theft.

In Canada, our accidental Prime Minister rushed 25,000 "refugees" into Canada, and plans to bring in even more before the end of 2016, while at the same time dismantling the checks and balances our previous government had installed to make sure the refugees that came in really were refugees.  Just today, it made the news about a school in Halifax where "refugee" children used a chain to choke a woman's daughter, violent bullying has become common, the "refugee" children are telling the other children that "Muslims will take over the world", and do things like make slashing motions across their throats at opposing soccer teams.

These are elementary school children.

So...

No.  I am against this rush to bring in so many migrants.  Few are genuine refugees, they have no intention of assimilating into their new homes, they believe they are entitled to houses and cars and money, but feel no need to contribute back to the countries that open their doors to them.

Sadly, genuine refugees and immigrants that want to actually contribute to their new countries are the minority, despite the media's attempts to make them out to be the majority.

Yes, good answer

18. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 8 years ago

What if it was me ?
    What if I found myself in the middle of a cruel war and had to decide to leave my homeland. To leave my house with just a few possessions. Leave the dog and cats behind, my friends. Hoping to survive a trip to an unknown world.
    What I often miss in the many discussions about the refugees of War is compassion. They are easily reduced to numbers.
    People do not flee there home and country that they love just for fun. It's a desperate act. Emigration is not something you do easily.
    10.000 people for the US alone is just laughable. The US counts 319 million!!! The total amount of cities,villages and towns is 19.509 - So if you would put in every village one refugee (1 refugee in New York!!!) nobody will notice. So stop talking and let's help people in need.

I like the way you've stated your arguement - logical, fact based, and seems to be from your heart.  Yet, I still am not ready to agree until we have our own house in order.

2. profile image0

A house is a never ending project, it's never in order. In the meantime you need friends to build your house. If you don't help others, others won't help you.
      But yes, there is a lot to be done to build the house called the USA.

We have plenty of people in need of help here.  I stand by my conviction of US citizens first

19. The Indexer profile image82
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

This is excellent news, and I hope that the United States continues to offer a warm welcome to people who have suffered terrible losses in their home country.

I am frankly disgusted by some of the remarks that have already been made in answer to this question. The depth of ignorance shown by some of them is almiost laughable, but unfortunately typical of people who haven't a clue about what is happening in "faraway countries of which they know little".

1. AnnaMKB profile image88

Recent data in Canada about 25K recent "refugees": Gov. claimed most refugees rescued from camps. Reality; 90% were already settled elsewhere.  Then tried to claim most were professionals English speakers able to work.  Opposite is true.

Really, the headlines from Europe everyday - rape, murder, violence, sharia - all due to Migrants.  Perhaps you should widen your sources of news gathering - unless you just want to ignore the problem.

20. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 8 years ago

Does anyone besides me have relatives in Europe?  The Syrian "Families" that have gone there consist mostly of military age men. Many of them aren't from Syria but are Muslims from other countries.  They have caused crime rates to increase beyond imagination.  In Hungary, they now refuse to let them in as these "refugees" rob people, defecate in public, destroy property and more.  Some farmers can't plow their fields because these "refugees" feel they can put up tent on the land.  They do this without permission...they just take it.  They also desecrate churches that are trying to help them. They've broken into homes and started living there because people were away from their house for a few days.  They don't feel the laws of any country apply to them.  They are so bad some European countries are sending them back to Syria.  People have given them food and these "refugees" have thrown it back at them as it wasn't what they wanted to eat. THIS is what you want in the United States?  These are facts. You gullible people on this thread probably know nothing about Hijrah, or jihad by emigration.  Right?  Read about it and things happening will make sense. Most people who believe in this is a good thing are so very naive as to the reality of this situation and ignorant of facts.

1. AnnaMKB profile image88

I have 3 cousins that lived near the Paris bombing.  My family survived WWII.  We know only too well.  People try to say these "refugees" are the new Jews.  They are the new Nazis, openly saying they want to kill Jews.

They don't want assimilation; soon they'll be demanding laws be changed to meet their cultish religion and those Socialists will fold and hand over the keys to their nations

21. profile image0
    Daniel Gottlobposted 8 years ago

I am hoping they get a good night's sleep and feel safe. I hope those kids get to go to school and regain some of semblance of the childhood they lost back.

I am glad that compassion has not been completely overridden by fear. Drop in the bucket in the great scheme of things but a welcomed first step to me.

We must be very careful in how we define people and how we separate them from ourselves. When we lose our empathy, we lose our humanity.

22. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 8 years ago

The early colonists came here to escape intolerance, and we've come full circle. How ironic!

The colonists came to escape tyranny, not intolerance / those same colonists would be repelling these invaders with powder and shot

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)