Is Garth Brooks the biggest 'Wimp' imaginable for not performing at the Inaugura

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

Is Garth Brooks the biggest 'Wimp' imaginable for not performing at the Inauguration?

Garth is only one of many performers who have chosen not to perform at Trump's Inauguration. In any event, Brooks said he was leaving the decision "Up to Karma." How lame is that? Yes, he had a Cincinnati tour, but he could have made it happen. Country artists are supposed to stand for the Red, White & Blue. Personally, I never liked the guy anyway, but I'm still annoyed. Am I the only one who is fed up with these cowardly performers/celebrities?? I just wish they'd show some backbone for once in their lives.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13368672_f260.jpg

2. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

So you guys are annoyed when celebrities make political statements and then annoyed again when they don't?  Seems to me he's trying to keep out of it as best as he can.

As for the rest of the celebs, many turned it down stating it was because they didn't believe in what Trump stands for.  That's not "cowardly," that's standing up for what THEY believe in.  I'm sure if someone explicitly said they want to perform because they believe in what Trump stands for you'd be applauding them and singing their praises.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well Trump stands for making America Great Again, so you are right AIME, those celebs don't believe in Making America Great again and that is nothing to be proud of. Shame on them.

Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Okie doke

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They don't even know what Trump stands for, Aime. They're just too cowardly to handle any pushback. It is shameful. Celebs who performed for GW Bush: Lyle Lovett, Clint Black, Beyonce, Asleep at the Wheel, Tanya Tucker, Mark Chesnutt, ZZ Top.

4. Aime F profile image71

How do you know? They have access to the same information that you do, surely? If you feel you know enough to like him/vote for him I'm sure they know enough to feel the opposite.

5. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61

It's not what they know about him.They look for any excuse they can find to dis him because he's a threat to their world view.They embrace sexists like Bill Clinton yet dis him for comments he made 10 years ago - double standards abound.

6. Aime F profile image71

Taze, didn't you recently get on me about making generalizations about Trump voters (& I corrected myself), yet here you are making generalizations about people who don't like him? Seems a tad hypocritical.

7. Misfit Chick profile image75
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Bush isn't Trump. Trump has alientated many people & if a celebrity decides to take a stand like many did - that is admirable. However, using 'karma' as an excuse is wishy-washy. No one wants to take responsibility for anything: too much backlash

8. Commonsensus profile image57
      Commonsensusposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Assuming that "they don't even know what Trump stands for" is a dangerous position to hold and even harder to keep. Trump made vocal time and again what he stands for and people have gauged the merits of his positions and decided differently.

9. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
      wrenchBiscuitposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sure, he's gonna make something great "again" that was never great in the first place. That's like trying to resurrect someone from the dead who has never been  born. Good luck with that.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years ago

I believe people are entitled to support or boycott whoever they wish.  Personally, if I were a celebrity, unless I were a politician myself, I would remain publically silent on political issues.  How I vote is no one's business but my own.  I find it unfortunate that a lot of people vote for someone based solely on their party platform, neither knowing or caring what the person is really like.  This opens the door to corruption.  People need to RESEARCH the candidates before choosing them!

1. profile image0

Publicly silent; perfectly understandable. The same people would also do well to respect the peaceful transition of power and perform at one of the many inaugural balls. Doing so might add a bit of much needed healing for our nation.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If Garth Brooks is so against Trump he doesn't want to perform at his inauguration, he should quietly decline. Surely there are plenty of musicians who would be honored to do so. If not, Trump has a problem.

3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61

People r entitled to boycott whoever but when they choose to boycott an inauguration,the culmination of our nation's peaceful transfer of power honored since the country's  founding&a tenant of American exceptionalism they spite themselves

4. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying Brooks was at proverbial gunpoint to accept?

5. profile image0

Yoleen, Garth is Not against Trump. That is why he is a wimp. He let 'Karma' decide because he doesn't have the guts to risk his flailing career.. Thus, he plays both sides. Can't get any wimpier than that. How Trisha can stand him is beyond me..

6. Aime F profile image71

Haha. He had to add multiple shows to his tour because they sold out so quickly. I'm not sure his career is "flailing". He also is not even remotely obligated to commit to anything politically.

7. profile image0

How convenient for him to add shows at this crucial time in history. I hope he goes the way of the Dixie Chicks---who at least didn't speak out of both sides of their mouths.

8. Aime F profile image71

You're being a bit silly now.

9. profile image0

Lol. Yeah, I despise cowardly men who are given a chance to help heal this nation and who then throw that opportunity back in the face of Americans. If that is what silly is, so be it.

10. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Savvy.

11. Commonsensus profile image57

"Yeah, I despise cowardly men who are given a chance to help heal this nation ..." Right, and you were out there fighting to "heal the nation" when Obama was the President? Doubtful. People like you are the problem, not Garth Brooks.

12. profile image0

Consensus, apparently I have struck a nerve. BTW, You don't know me.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

I think it takes a considerable amount of "backbone" to stand up for what you believe in front of the entire world.  Wish more people, especially in D.C., would have that kind of courage.

1. profile image0

No backbone is required to save your own skin for fear of losing gigs. This has nothing to do with what they believe in, Kathleen, and everything to do with taking the easy way out. As for Garth, I hope his career is dies, utterly & completely.

Savvy, do you support the liberal celebrities who speak against Trump because they're standing up for what they believe in?

3. profile image0

Aime, they believe Trump is a homophobe. False belief. They believe he is racist. False belief. They believe he is a fascist. False belief. I do not support false beliefs. All they're doing is cowering behind so-called beliefs.

4. Aime F profile image71

So... no.  You only respect those who speak up when they agree with your POV.  Gotcha.

5. profile image0

Just one more false statement, Aime. Twisting the truth is another leftist tactic. It is a shame you decided to use it.

6. My Two Pennies profile image60
      My Two Penniesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So "backbone" to Kathleen = following the group mentality of every other liberal entertainer and elitist-supporting celebrity? Yeah, real courageous...They don't want to go, fine, but let's not over glorify these ideologues as brave b/c they're not.

7. Aime F profile image71

No, what YOU are doing is writing off people's opinions as "false" based on your own opinions and using it as rationale to not respect them for sticking up for what they believe.  I haven't twisted anything.

8. profile image0

Aime, do not put words in my mouth, please. Your POV assumption about me is incorrect.

9. Aime F profile image71

Sigh. I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm observing the words that you yourself have used in the context of the question that I asked you.

10. profile image0

Give me something substantial, dear Aimie. You haven't as of yet. I provided the reasons why leftists reject Trump. Each argument falls flat, i.e., no factual counter argument. Provide something we can examine.

11. Aime F profile image71

"Do you support liberals who stick up for their beliefs"
      "No because I think their beliefs are wrong"

Yeah, I dunno how I came to the conclusion that you don't support those who don't agree with your beliefs speaking up. Shrug. It's a mystery.

12. profile image0

My bad for believing you had enough honesty to quote the truth. I never said what you have claimed I've said. It is all there in print. How disappointing, Aime. I actuslly thought you were better than that. My mistake.

13. Aime F profile image71

Okay, then please prove to me that Donald Trump is NOT a racist or a sexist or whatever else. Those things are generally based on people's perceptions of him and are entitled to feel he is those things. That you feel he is not is ALSO an opinion.

14. profile image0

Oh, Aime, Where is your proof? It's the same old script with libs; 1)Ignore substantive facts conservatives provide; 2) Again demand substantive facts they have already ignored; 3)Demand more proof which they will ignore again. 4) Have no integrity.

15. Aime F profile image71

Where is my proof that people feel DT is of poor character? There are literally millions of people posting about it everywhere. Take a look. You're free to disagree but you are not the authority on "false beliefs."

16. My Two Pennies profile image60

Really surprised she hasn't jumped on the bandwagon and thrown out the term, "fake news" yet...

17. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I understand perfectly what Aime is saying.  People "believe" Trump is racist, homophobe, ect. because they've heard what he said & understand it to MEAN that Trump is those things.  Trump supporters heard the same words, came to different conclu

18. Aime F profile image71

Thanks, Hxprof. People come to different conclusions given the same information all the time. I think the minute we assume everyone who has a  different opinion than us is flat-out wrong is the minute we stop learning and growing.

19. Commonsensus profile image57

savvydating. You speak of 'substantive data' but are loathe to back up your opinions with such. I listened to Trump and my own ears picked up details in his speech which lead me to KNOW what he is, not what others believe. Don't categorize everyone.

5. My Two Pennies profile image60
    My Two Penniesposted 7 years ago

I think entertainers have a right to voice their political opinions, just as I have a right not to purchase their product/services/entertainment in response. With that said, I personally believe that it's foolish to alienate a segment of your fans over some misguided notion that the world actually thinks you possess political expertise.

Let's be honest, these people don't even live in the same world as most Americans and get their beliefs from west coast elitist groupthink. Newsflash for those that threatened to leave the country (I know Garth wasn't one), no one cares...

Long winded answer, yes Garth is a wimp for bending to peer pressure and provided a "lame" and cowardly response.

1. profile image0

Thank you, My Two Pennies. I wonder how many voters will follow up by not buying their products? Perhaps not that many.. Personally, I think those C&W artists who might have had the courage to perform would have increased their sales & popula

2. My Two Pennies profile image60

Agreed and anytime! I'm more of  the classic rock sort, but yeah, talk about not understanding the demographics of your target market...

6. gregas profile image80
    gregasposted 7 years ago

It's really a shame that a 16 year old girl has more guts than someone with the singing background as Garth. There is a strong young lady with the backbone that this country needs. It didn't take guts for Garth to NOT perform. It would take a lot more nerve for him to stand up to the people who is threatening these people that were supposed to perform.

1. profile image0

Greg....Thank you for reminding me of the 16 year old, Evanco. That just drives the nail home on just how cowardly Garth is. But frankly, I always figured him for a wimp---even before all of this. I appreciate your comment.

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

On this note smile, the girl has a lot more to lose than this Brooks because he's apparently well into an established career. She made a choice that would hinder her career except for the fact that the public is calling for some backbone, as you put it.

3. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you savvy.

4. profile image0

The thanks belongs to you, gregas. I have since learned that while Miss Evancho has received support, she and her family have also received threats. Nevertheless, she affirms, 'I try to focus on the good.'  What a brave young woman & family.

7. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 7 years ago

Perhaps it was his alter ego, Chris Gaines, that ultimately made the decision and we should not judge Garth too harshly!

1. profile image0

AB, Are you defending Garth Brooks? If so, I am not surprised, just disappointed. The guy has no 'balls.' Any saavy woman or man can see that quite easily.

2. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No I was making a joke....guess Stand-Up isn't my calling!

3. profile image0

Thanks. I will look into Chris Gaines.

4. Terrielynn1 profile image83
      Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha that's a good one.

5. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Terrie, I'm glad someone got the joke!

8. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

At least a dozen performers declined because of threats of boycotts or actual assault by the left.
    You have the right to refuse to buy their music if they performed for Trump. You do not have the right to threaten harm against them, and liberal bullies ARE threatening harm against people. That is fascism, ironically from the liberals who keep accusing conservatives of the liberals' bad behavior.

9. Commonsensus profile image57
    Commonsensusposted 7 years ago

Garth Brooks, while I am NOT a fan, is a citizen of the United States of America. Accordingly, the Constitution guarantees him every right to comment on politics or any other subject he chooses to comment on, and it protects him if he should decide to abstain from commenting. I am an artist and I don't recall reading in the guidebook where I am supposed to stand up for the "Red, White, and Blue". The assumption here is that if you live in the United States you should act patriotic according to someone else's view of patriotism; in this case you are replacing patriotism with nationalism and Garth Brooks will make that decision, not others.

In reference to the backbone comment, showing a backbone is usually circumscribed by some ideology, and not taking it on the chin because you were asked to support one you don't believe in. While you may disagree with that ideology, attempting to destroy that persons credibility because of that disagreement will avail you nothing.

1. Aime F profile image71

I kinda want to make another profile so that I can give this another thumbs up.

2. Commonsensus profile image57

Once is enough Aime. Thanks for your support. Stay intelligent.

3. profile image0

Commonsensus, I see that you are quite in love with your own intellect. No need to turn this simple question about Garth's 'Karma' claim into a lecture about nationalism. Cowardliness is easily defined. Garth is a weak man, who stands for nothing.

4. Commonsensus profile image57

savvydating. Obviously you are impressed, but not my intention. I simply wanted to help you understand where your logic fails. You confused no less than 2 concepts with what should be characterized as personal preference. Your welcome.

5. profile image0

Like I said earlier....
      And actually, I'm not impressed, but you can think that if you like. Thanks for chiming in, Consensus.

10. CJWood71 profile image82
    CJWood71posted 7 years ago

I don't really believe it is that big of a deal. It is certainly his choice to stay out of it, regardless of what his reasons are. Perhaps it is simply a desire to not subject himself to negative publicity. The way I see it, at least he didn't use the situation as an opportunity to bash Trump and his supporters.

1. profile image0

Brooks had said that "He was open to performing. “It’s always about serving,” Then he backed out and let "Karma" decide. C&W artists do not criticize candidates, generally. (Except the Dixie Chicks &  that was their demise.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)