Are they protesting or are they throwing a temper tantrum?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (69 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

Are they protesting or are they throwing a temper tantrum?

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 7 years ago

Some of both depending on the protester,  Some who were questioned didn't even know what they were protesting.

Others are protesting things that haven't even been said yet.  Many have signs declaring they are afraid, but they are not real clear on what they are afraid of.

1. alancaster149 profile image77
      alancaster149posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Being radical isn't enough. Fear of the unknown feeds the imagination - as back in the Middle Ages the clergy dreamed up dragons to usher people into church - enough to convince them that the world will end if a Democrat isn't in the White House.

2. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Mr. Lancaster. I think that fear was why hillary did not win. She is the modern day Dragon Lady

3. Ewent profile image68
      Ewentposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The right wing in the US has one and only one agenda: To control the rest of us any way they can. But, here is the problem. They live in the poorest states and rely on progressive states federal funding. What happens when states withdraw funding?

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

Well, if you read the tweets and blog posts by people who participated in the march on Saturday, they came away feeling positive and empowered. That doesn't really sound like the aftermath of a temper tantrum.

Our new President, on the other hand, had his minions skittering all over the place over the weekend, insisting that his inauguration had the largest turnout ever, trying to keep the media focused on him, and not the protests.

I'm pretty sure if any temper tantrums were thrown, they were inside the White House.

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Threatening to blow up the White House would certainly make some like Madonna feel empowered.  Very few have even said exactly what it is they are protesting.  The sky is really not falling like they believe it is.

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

When that many people register protest based on the depth and breath, sheer magnitude, I would say that is anything but inconsequential. The current occupant of the White House needs to be listening as to the concerns behind the March.

3. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

By the time you accept that yes, the sky really is falling, we should be well into Nuclear Winter...

4. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I found the protests interesting in the regard that they were not protesting for a seat at the table discussing such issues but rather that Trump's seat be taken from him. A total negative proposition rather than a positive one.

5. profile image0

Lisa Vollrath - At last, a specific thing to worry about.  Thanks for letting us know.  I thought it might be something as important as free birth control that was the big issue.

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lisa
      What specifically are they empowered about? Listening to Madonna and Judd it was not clear. And once again what were they doing for the last 8 years. Those years were Obama's not Trump. So whats up. In Los Angeles they riot when their team wins?

7. PhoenixV profile image63

It was funded by Soros, so I heard.

8. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lisa - Trump might be more defensive than previous Presidents, but at least he's trying to help America.  It's about jobs, security, and ending the divides from Identity politics - the rest are just talking points for the news media

4. alancaster149 profile image77
    alancaster149posted 7 years ago

The 'in' idol was Hilary, Donald's supporters considered Troglodytes by the intellectuals and women's movements.
    Are they Troglodytes, or just that they're patriots who're sick of things on the slide whilst Obama basked in his international 'glory'? He tried to tell us Brits we should stay in the EU, and that if we left we'd be damned forever.
    That's some threat, shame he didn't try it on at home. Or maybe he did and the electorate turned on him, using their vote against Hilary.
    Over here the Camerons vacated No.10, the Osborne's No.11 (Chancellor's home next door in Downing Street), David unable to withstand the whirlwind of change and George wringing his hands whilst telling us we're wicked to want to say 'Ta-ta' to Brussels. Mister Hollande wants to punish us for leaving 'la Belle Alliance'... Shades of Napoleon Bonaparte there.
    England being a nation of shopkeepers, we just rolled up the shutters, 'Business as usual' (a great Eagles number). Yah-boo-shucks to Brussels and Strasbourg, Merkel get knotted and so on (everything short of bringing back pounds, shillings and pence).
    Pretty much like across the 'Pond', yah-boo-shucks Hilary. Check your e-mails, guys'n'gals, you never know who's going to leap out of the political undergrowth...
    Now where's that Vladimir when you want him?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Alan
      I am a fan of the British TV prime minister, and i think that the writers nailed govt. A funny episode was about the Chunnel  and another was about the EU and Brussels et al. Funny but it rings   true even today. I have the DVDs and I watch it

2. alancaster149 profile image77

'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister' were more of a slight on the senior civil servants and their skulduggery (conniving sods!) than on the government, bradmaster. Maggie T tried to prove she had a sense of humour by watching it.

5. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Protesting election results undermines democracy, especially when complaining about the man in power simply because he isn't the candidate you wanted.
    Burning cars, threatening to kill people, throwing bricks without concern of it hurting people or breaking property - that is not a protest, that is a riot and a threat to public safety that police have the right to stop by all means.
    That trash can or tree set on fire could burn down a nearby building with innocent people inside. The limo liberals torched darn near took the Muslim driver, too.
    That's why police have had the right for years to shoot violent rioters, for the safety of the innocent.

1. Misfit Chick profile image75
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Once again, you've described & condemned these protestors forgetting the right-wing protests after Obama was elected. Its okay for you, but its not okay for us. You didn't hear about all the littering then bcuz we knew you were mad & understo

6. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

It is an interesting notion that a group could have a temper tantrum. I guess if you took recess away from 3rd graders you could see a mass tantrum. A tantrum to me means an immediate physical and visceral personal response to stimulus.
    Maybe

1. PhoenixV profile image63

You said it best. They dont want a seat at the table. They want everyone else to give in to their demands.

2. alancaster149 profile image77

The greatest bigots are the ones that maintain THEY speak for all and will listen to no-one. It's how Hitler came to power: I know best, you do as I say and you'll be safe. Otherwise...

3. Ewent profile image68

The mentally ill live in the worlds "they" create. But, that's never enough. They must have control of others. Buy into that and you become as mentally ill as they are.

7. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

Donald Trump has made it clear from campaign rhetoric and clear bent of current policy that there is no 'seat' available except from the perspective of grabbing one from their private parts.

Conservatives are masters of making excuses and dismissing the sentiments of so many. That attitude will bring down Trump and his regime in short order. I don't have long to wait for the inevitable.

This thing is global in scope and the issue surrounds abortion rights and other prerogatives of women as individuals, allowing for self determination that is so inconsistent with rightwing thought processes.

It's the attitude that brought down Obama, isn't it. He even tried to tell us in the UK how to vote in the Referendum last year. Now there's a laugh.

2. Credence2 profile image78

I don't recall him 'telling' you anything. It was a suggestion and he never implied that the decision did not ultimately belong to the English. But speaking of Hitler, why spend so much time propping up Trump, whose problematic nature is being reveal

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Credence, What attitude, Trump says he wants to make America Great Again, give him the 100 days and judge him on the merits, not on MSM innuendo. Roe v Wade has been around since 1974 what has changed, and how did Trump change anything? What Rights?

4. Credence2 profile image78

Brad. He has been in for not even a week, and it is more than mere rumor that the GOP would like to get this overturned. He has shown his intent.  and direction of his administration over the last 48 hours, we don't Need 100 days.

5. Ewent profile image68

No woman who is not a financially dependent of a man agrees with The Baron of BS. The only ones who do are as mentally deranged as he is.

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image67
      wrenchBiscuitposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just when was America great? Was it when my people were being murdered?Perhaps when white Americans were getting affordable home loans after WWII and people of color were being red-lined? What a sickening slogan that has nothing to do with reality.

8. NMLady profile image75
    NMLadyposted 7 years ago

Eight men decided my rights over my body yesterday.  I am protesting the loss of the freedom over my own body.

Also, this country was founded by rioters who broke into a business and tossed that business's merchandise into the Boston Harbor.   Moral of this:  IF no one will listen to you.  IF you are ignored.  ALL you have left is what the founders of this country did. 
    8 men told ALL the women in the USA what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.
    Then the USA signed a document that told the WHOLE world what their women could or could not do with their bodies.
    If you do not get it yet.......  your empathy scale is off the charts low!

1. profile image0

First I have heard of this.  What 8 men and what did they do?

2. NMLady profile image75
      NMLadyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Here is the link.  Please do your homework next time.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … amp;type=3

3. profile image0

A picture of 8 men with nothing about what is being signed?  That is what you call doing your homework?  Next time you comment on something try providing the link so everyone knows what the heck you are talking about.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

NMLady there is a serious disconnect here. Now Facebook is accurate reporting with no facts? Please explain what about that photo makes what that person is saying true. That was a signing of a different issue altogether.  Who could make this up?

5. The Dirt Farmer profile image89
      The Dirt Farmerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You guys need to read the news!

6. Ericdierker profile image45

May I say Jill that your notion of news is a throwback. When you say read the news do you mean. The latest Dan Rather or factually based articles written after the truth surfaces? Are you talking soundbite stuff or facts?  Do you know?

7. DowntroddenInDC profile image86
      DowntroddenInDCposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I believe NMLady is referring to this:
      http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38729364

Which is the executive order he signed on abortion last week.

9. wrenchBiscuit profile image67
    wrenchBiscuitposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13378027_f260.jpg

They are protesting, and hopefully in the coming months many will begin to "pump up the volume". Every, nationalist, patriotic, parrot who has ever commented here on Hubpages likes to evoke the image of "The Founding Fockers"; slave-owners, murderers, and thieves; professional liars who founded a grand oligarchy and defined  it as a democratic republic.

But they fail to realize that the revolution that founded this country was very nasty business. Young men on both sides of the conflict were brutally killed in battles. They were hacked to death with swords and knives; their tender flesh was pierced with bayonets and hot musket balls, and they were blown apart by cannons. Innocent women and children were also fair game, and raped and killed with impunity by soldiers on both sides. many of the soldiers were teenagers, and when legs and arms were amputated it was without any anesthesia.

Today the frail sensibilities of the American are disturbed by the burning of a few automobiles, destruction of business property, and the injury of a few donut eaters in full riot gear. I say it's time to get a grip and grow some acorns. There is more yet to come. Revolution has always been nasty business. The American Revolution was not won with peaceful protest, and rousing renditions of "Kumbaya" and "We Are The World". We cannot expect the coming revolution to  be painless, as that would defy the Law of Gravity.

1. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie please do not become offended. I kind of grew up with two large tribes in my life. Love em, Hopi and Navajo. To my understanding someone speaking about elders like you do would be set aside from the tribe and banished. No free speech. correct?

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image67

First of all, the Indigenous are not monolithic. Furthermore , I am not speaking about my elders.  Dead miscreants and slave-owners are not my elders, neither are their progeny. My "tribe" has come to take it all back. U will not love us.

3. profile image0

Good luck with that mission Ronnie.

4. Misfit Chick profile image75

WB is one of our cryptic, know-it-all mystics on HP, ha! How would it defy the Law of Gravity - has nothing to do with pain. It defys the Law of Attraction & we can change things. WB & Trump supporters seem to be on the same side: war PLEASE!

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Catherine as always you made me think. Dangerous? When we argue left and right and up and down we argue and in opposing discourse we find a better way. Some however must find an antagonistic way no matter what. They like imaginary causes, no solution

6. Misfit Chick profile image75

I am definitely solution-driven. I hate all the fighting, and we do so much better when we collaborate across any isle. Even GOP & Dems have successfully collaborated in the past, but 'the people' don't hold them to do it. We should.

7. wrenchBiscuit profile image67

Every day I am offended when I wake up and realize I am still here. Missy, U have potential, and would go far under my tutelage. OldPool, It is clear that UR a human being.Human beings will be welcome in our world. U will receive 40 acres and a mule.

8. Ericdierker profile image45

Whoa Ronnie that is the second time that I remember you saying something suicidal. Are you alright?Bummed out about waking up to who you are is not good. E-Mail me.

9. wrenchBiscuit profile image67

Nice try Eric. I am also familiar with that technique. Offer to help someone while insulting them at the same time! I am perfectly comfortable with who I am. It is the evil world I am living in that is the problem.

10. Ericdierker profile image45

OK buddy I misconstrued " I am offended when I wake up and realize I am still here" my bad you are not suicidal when saying that. You do not know Hopi or Navajo world of the Dine'e good for you. speak for your tribe - what is it?

11. Misfit Chick profile image75

I know exactly how you feel, WB - I wake up every morning not wanting to be here, too (long before Trump came along). This world is intolerable across the board. The reason I stay is bcuz ending things sounds boring & potential IS everywhere.

12. DougClifton profile image61
      DougCliftonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You still lose...

10. nomadspirit profile image95
    nomadspiritposted 7 years ago

While the  'not our president' complaints about the democratically elected president smacks of a toddler's tantrum upon not getting what he wants, there are groups who have legitimate reasons for protest. The women's protest falls into this latter group.
    Even if President Trump hadn't made his plans to defund Planned Parenthood clear, his objectification of women is seen by many as indicative of what his policies (speaking only of those that will affect women specifically/disproportionately) will be.
    These fears are clearly not unfounded: and this is what the protest was about--- the potential (even if some cannot articulate the specifics of what a Trump presidency will mean) of damage to women and the progress we have made in being seen as more than objects or property.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of what you say, especially in light of his final Supreme Court nominees. I will add that many people believe he was elected more by Russians and U.S. billionaires than through a democratic process. That's part of their frustration.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

I am sorry Rosheda but explain to me why the Judd and Madonna speeches are not within the definition of "objectifying" men. The radical feminists can objectify me and degrade me and call me vile names and use the Fword on me but a man cannot?

3. The Dirt Farmer profile image89
      The Dirt Farmerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric, no one was listening to Madonna. We were already trying to march, though crowd size made it difficult. We weren't there for celebs whose wealth will protect them from POTUS, but for the vulnerable he is already going after through EO after EO.

4. nomadspirit profile image95
      nomadspiritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Scott, while the Russians played a part in bringing information to light, I don't know if it is true that they affected the actual results. Can we say that if not for leaks Clinton would be President? Though, there may be new info !

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Jill your position is admirable.. I appreciate your position. It is very good to learn more about it. The ladies in my life and I sent in bucks to support fine women like you. Many of my friends marched and that makes me happy. WomenandMenareFriends.

6. nomadspirit profile image95
      nomadspiritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric, this may be a 2nd comment! Radicals donot represent the majority of feminists. Objectification is wrong for ALL. Imagine that one of the speakers you are so incensed at was elected as your president. That is exactly what the women marching did!

11. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13379913_f260.jpg

Some are actually protesting, others are throwing a temper tantrum - and still others are regretting their decision to vote for him. Have you seen the twitter regrets? https://twitter.com/trump_regrets

They are a mix of Trump voters who are either appauled at what they didn't expect Trump to become (he said he would drain the swamp, not overflow it!); to supporters who are mad at him that he hasn't held to his campaign promises - like, prosecute Hillary.

Its not all that unusual. For those of you who are so sure Obama was the envy of everyone who voted for him, he got dinged a lot for all his compromising and not carrying through with things. Obama was a master compromiser who was constantly called a conservative as an insult by his voters.

Nothing is black & white, there are always shades of grey. If you think any 'one side' is always being truthful & the other is not - someone has you whipped.

"Oh, what tangled webs we weave..." Who's conned by whom? Obama was a lawyer, a potential 'ambulance chaser'.
      Trump is a name and a verb. He's trumped Hilary C. Supporters who felt duped should have turned over the packet to read the  instructions

2. Misfit Chick profile image75

Trump emergency instructions in the case of extreme disappointment for voting for him: Take 2 aspirin & a shot of Tequila (before it gets expensive) - then go to sleep. Wake up in 4 years when you can fix it. Don't watch the news. Trump is truth.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Sorry lady. In France, drinks like Champagne are regional and protected by a copyright deal. Tequila Mexico was awesome back in the 70's but had no such protection and that was nafarious I think Portello made about 14 million$ off of it.

12. profile image0
    JoaquinMurrietaposted 7 years ago

The only one throwing a tantrum is Trump; every course of executive action, by far, is to make himself look better.  Now he wants a media black-out because the "pink protest" showed more people than his inauguration.

Besides, there are plenty of "pink protests" in every nation (I'm assuming you are outside the States from your emphasis on the Brixit; most Americans don't care/know....I view myself as a worldly knowledge person and do).

It's 'BrExit' Joaquin. As in getting out, like Don's fed up of the US stumping up the billions to keep NATO going. We're on our way out of the EU to stop Sterling haemorrhaging, in donations to countries (like India) rich enough to pay us back. .

13. Melissa Dewey profile image69
    Melissa Deweyposted 7 years ago

Both protesting is the adult version of a temper tantrum. Children throw temper tantrums because they are frustrated, adults protest because they are frustrated...

14. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 7 years ago

Many of the groups, like CAIR, are run by Marxists or Muslims or radical extremists and they dupe those who take up one cause or another without having any clue of the bigger picture, of the evil that really lurks in the world into taking up their cause.
    If you want anything to do with Sharia Law, you are Anti-American 100% against everything this country was originally founded on and for.
    If you are a Marxist you are 100% against Liberty and the ability to pursue your own destiny to the best of your ability.
    Being American doesn't mean you have to carry the load for everyone else, or share what you earn with those who cannot do for themselves, or make the world a better place for all people... if you WANT to do those things that would be great, but this country wasn't founded on forcing people to be taxed 50, 60, 70% of what they make so they can 'share the wealth' it wasn't founded on Socialism or radical one-religion rule... but that is where these groups, which have infiltrated and taken over the Democrat Party would take it, first destroy America, its economy, its Constitution, its social norms and society... and then they will fight to decide its fate, a Socialist nation or Islamic Caliphate

15. DougClifton profile image61
    DougCliftonposted 7 years ago

They are throwing expected political, temper tantrums over their political "in" candidate's defeat. With all due respect, Hillary is spelled H-i-l-l-a-r-y.

16. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Your question reflects your bias. No, they were not throwing a temper tantrum. You need to read the international press. Trump has been diagnosed with malignant narcissism and various other personality disorders. 25% of Americans have permanent mental illnesses, and another 25% have periodic episodes of mental illness each year. Ergo, anyone who cannot see that Trump is mentally ill and that protests that are echoed internationally are NOT temper tantrums but part of democratic interations needs to take a long, hard look at themselves.

17. Skarlet profile image83
    Skarletposted 7 years ago

Acting like spoiled children because they did not get their way

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)