Have you ever met a truly evil person?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Have you ever met a truly evil person?

Some people think there's no such thing as evil. What do you think?  Have you met someone you believe was evil?  How did you know?

2. B. Leekley profile image86
    B. Leekleyposted 8 years ago

My understanding is that evil does not exist in the abstract but always as a  quality of an act. For instance, an intentional lie that causes another person pain and misfortune is an evil act, and the person who told it might have a habit of telling lies that harm others (or a habit of stealing or a habit of ridiculing others or a habit of committing wage theft or whatever the evil acts may be) But a person who commits evil acts is not evil because reform, a change of attitude and habitual behavior, is always a possibility. That is, no one has an inherent, unchangable, essential  evil nature.

I like the Edward Wallis Hoch quote:
    "There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it hardly behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us."

A related question is whether an act to be evil must it be an act of free will, a human act? Is it an evil act for a tornado to destroy homes or for a lion to kill and eat a lamb?

Labelling another person as evil is never a justification for committing an evil act against that person.

1. adagio4639 profile image60
      adagio4639posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I really like your answer, and find that I agree with what you say.

3. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Marcy......I believe I have met numerous people who certainly appeared to be quite evil in thought, words and actions. One man in particular seemed to exude darkness & negativity and cause a lot of whisperings behind his back.  I thought it appeared he instilled a sort of fear in others, almost as if doing so purposely.  If it was all some stupid act or if he was in fact mentally ill, I never really discovered the answer to that.  I tend to steer clear of individuals who give off strong enough vibes to make me uncomfortable. 
    IMHO, someone has to possess a certain amount of evil to have it show through all the time to everyone around them. 
    On the other hand, strangely enough, the most truly (and proven) evil person I ever knew on a personal level, gave very few if any clues or signals of being soul-less (or as my Dad would say, "a human without a conscience")  He seemed like "the guy next door" which we're finding out these days turns out to be the worst person to ever live next door to!!  Yes, he was ultimately arrested & charged with serial rape/murder.  What was even more egregious, there was another totally innocent man (a little mentally slow)...who had been found guilty & spent many years behind bars for the crimes.  2 of the women who had lived, identified him.  When this was all exposed, the likeness between the men was uncanny.....mind blowing.   
    The innocent man was freed and compensated, Thank God....and the truly evil one was locked up forever.  I'd say that's a doubly evil person.

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, scary and sad that the mentally challenged man took the fall. Unfortunately, the mental health crisis in this country is off the chain - but that's another subject. Glad they caught the real culprit.

2. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

the rest of my sentence was "just to be aware."   I hate when it says you still have 4 characters left & U end ur comment & it LOOKS fine, but when it posts, you're missing the last few characters.  The counter must be OFF!  LOL

4. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I am biologically related to someone who is a raging sociopath.  Thankfully my exposure to this person was limited, but sadly for those whose lives were destroyed, they were not as lucky as I was.  Yes, this person was born bad and honestly, I do not believe most people are.  I think that most who turn to "evil" do so by choice and due to examples in their lives.  The person I am referring to had no such issues and showed signs from a young age that something wasn't right.  I believe the part of the brain where the conscience is formed is just absent in some people - it just never develops.  This leads them to have the capability to do evil and simply not care.  Scary, real and sad.  Thankfully, also quite rare. 

This person was/is very clever also and able to manipulate people with an ease that boggles the mind.  Smart sociopaths/psychopaths are the worst because they are smart, they simply don't care and do as they please and often get away with it for extended periods of time.

1. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Chris..U just gave me goosebumps up & down my spine! Sadly the world is rampant w/ these creatures. Fortunately if we can recognize them, we can do our best to avoid them & protect ourselves & loved ones.Everyone should KNOW one,just to b

5. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

I've met people who are negative and critical, but I've never met anyone who is truly evil. I've been a victim of a few evil people, but they were total strangers, so my answer has to be 'no'.

6. Cammy Walters profile image56
    Cammy Waltersposted 8 years ago

Yes, for one, they have a "different" air about them.  Also, their actions will always give them away.  As one put it once, "They have a twisted sense of right."

7. profile image58
    firework23posted 8 years ago

I believe that is relative to openness. I was married to a man who quickly became abusive in every meaning of the word and confessed to me (very early within the marriage) that if it weren't for me marrying him he would have been a serial killer. Throughout the marriage he discussed methods he would use while I would debunk them. The physical violence toward me stopped after I fought back. He still had alot of trouble with alcohol. Eventually I divorced him (9 years in). He was mean at first until I told him he would lose me as a friend ifhe continued. We ended up be much better as friends and my caring nature rubbed off on him. Sadly, 7 years of friendship later, he committed suicide. I miss him to this day. My point is, someone that appears evil could just be really hurting inside and be the type of person that makes the worst choices because of it.

8. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Yes, there are truly evil people in the world.  Some of the people who act & appear good are the most evil people imaginable.  Not all evil people are overt in their expressions & actions.  Some of the most evil people are covert in their expressions & actions, appearing to be "so nice", even "sweet."   Such "niceness" & "sweetness" belie their evil, even demonic nature.  Remember the phrase, wolves in sheep's clothing.
    https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7814071.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)