RIP Anthony Bourdain Bad Boy Celebrity Chef

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 5 years ago

I was stunned to learn that Anthony Bourdain died by his own hand early yesterday morning--6/8/18. His colorful travel shows and excellent writing provided us all with a glimpse of people all over the world, teaching about their culture, history, and geography--through food. His descriptive language and cynical views were always fascinating, and I loved all the shows he did, the latest being Parts Unknown on CNN. He also was an excellent author, who made it big with his first book, Kitchen Confidential, a hilarious look about his life as an Executive Chef at a restaurant in Manhattan. 

It's hard to believe this man who seemed to live life to the fullest would commit suicide. He was very tall and thin, but last season I thought he looked very gaunt and "sick" thin. I wonder if he had a disease and decided not to treat it, and then decided to take matters into his own hand? He was in a hotel in France at the time. But he had French ancestry, and found he loved food when his family took him to France to meet his relatives as a boy. He was always open about his wild early years and successful battle against heroin addiction, and it showed in every line in that grizzled face, which sort of made him more attractive.

We need to take mental health more seriously in the U.S. Why do so many people get to the pinnacle of success and commit suicide? I can't get my head around this, I don't even watch much TV.

He will be sorely missed around the world.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jean, first let me say that I was very saddened at the untimely passing of Mr. Bourdain. We watched his shows frequently and my husband was a big fan of his. I saw a special recently that he did for CNN, and he said that he had been addicted to heroin and cocaine since his 20s, (I believe he said it was that long). He made no bones about his battle with drugs. He also said that he'd been clean for years. It makes me wonder if he fell off the wagon and went back to using. I guess we will just have to wait for the autopsy to find out.

That appears to be one of the reasons he's known as the "bad boy" chef. I know the world will miss him. I really am shocked and saddened by his death.

Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was happy to learn there were no drugs found in Bourdain's autopsy. There was one non narcotic he was taking for a condition he had. I hated to think he relapsed into his old heroin addiction. I also wondered how he could have kept up his work schedule of travel 8 months a year while using. But it's still so sad anyone can feel so desperate they would end their own life. Life is such a gift.

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad too, but not surprised. As I implied in my first post, I believe this was a choice for him. We may never know why. I'm watching the last episode now. Will miss his talent, may he rest in his decision.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am beyond stunned.  Anthony Bourdain was a true renaissance man.  He was a genius chef but was so approachable & down to earth.  I loved watching his food shows.  I especially loved his take on sushi(my favorite food).   It is so sad that this genius is gone from us forever!  Why? Why? Why?!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

RIP. I didn't follow him or know about him. Just wanted to add that success and depression and not things that go hand in hand and depression is one of the biggest reasons for suicide, especially when one is successful.

A person needs to be seriously depressed or lost to be brave enough to kill oneself. It's not an easy decision. Wonder what caused him to take this step.

3. profile image0
    threekeysposted 5 years ago

I just heard the news.
    I couldn't believe it either!
    I was surprised he had a lifeling battle with heroin and cocaine.
    He had a grittiness about him.
    I lived his cultural foodie shows. He brought all different kinds of people together through food.
    His Italian actress girlfriend is beyond devastation. I can't imagine how his 11 year old daughter is feeling.
    Im glad you acknowledged Mr. Anthony Bourdain. Peace and Blissful rest Anthony.

4. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

This is not community news. It belongs in the topical forums.

Dr. Mark
      I did have the post in the Entertainment and Media forum, but it wasn't being read. I so seldom write about people, I have little experience in those type forums after being here for eight years. I think Bourdain was too beloved to leave his passing not discussed.The administration is free to move the post.

Janis, I think you would write a lovely hub, especially with your expertise in mental health. What he did felt premeditated to me. The book, and his others, are great reads, but Kitchen Confidential is a must.

Brandon,
      I agree with all your thoughts on the topic of suicide.

FYI, Jean, thanks for the encouragement. I did write an article about suicide. I plan to publish it this weekend. Let me know your thoughts. The final season of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown starts soon. I'm looking forward to it.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just realized that I'm not following you, followed you now and I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Thanks, lobobrandon, got you right back! smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88
              lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hehe

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

Thanks for posting this, Jean. I was shocked yesterday morning and even became teary with the news. I really loved his show on Sunday nights. You've said it all beautifully. I, too, noticed how he looked last season and wondered if something was wrong. He looked tired, gaunt, and appeared to have lost weight. It does make one suspect that this suicide was health-related or some other issue he could no longer bear. I found him so attractive; his brilliance, his passion for people and food, his tall physique, and his command of language. So poetic he was. (I need to get that book.) I'm so sad, feeling for his daughter, girlfriend, colleagues and close friends in the restaurant industry and at CNN. Yesterday I felt all who loved him, including fans all over the world were experiencing a collective grief. Ugh! Terrible loss.

As a mental health professional, the one thing I will say about my knowledge of suicide having worked with countless depressed people and loved ones over the years, is that suicide is a choice . . . not the best or seemingly rational one, but a choice made sometimes with strategic planning and rationalizations, given the alternatives the person weighs. People very rarely commit suicide impulsively. It is awful because it goes against our religious, spiritual, and moral beliefs about ending our own lives. But never the less, some people see it as a willful choice. I suppose Anthony Bourdain did. He had his reasons, coupled with pain and suffering.

I could go on and on but I think I need to write a hub article about this. I'm so sad.

6. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 5 years ago

Just goes to show that depression and mental illness can do a really great job of hiding. You can look at someone and think “wow they have such a great life/so much going for them” or “that person seems like they’re having the best time” but inside there is so much else going on. Really sad that he and Kate Spade’s suicides were so close and so widely felt as well, I imagine it’s quite triggering for some people.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000!

7. profile image0
    threekeysposted 5 years ago

Just heard  that no narcotics or alcohol was found in Anthony Bourdain's system.
    There is a present article at Hubpages which expkores another reasoning for Anthony Bourdain's unexpected passing. Maybe, maybe not?
    I think just leave him to be, now.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

Drugs and calmness do not go hand in hand.

Maybe "success" and calmness do not go hand in hand either. Its one reason to stay out of the "limelight".

True success is being calm and content.
    What (truly) leads us there?

Its a good question, if you ask me.

Kathryn,
      That is a good question. It must be hard to be in that limelight, and then return to a lonely hotel room, away from all your friends and loved ones. I was glad to hear he didn't go back to using heroin, although having read all his books (I always go back and do that when I like an author), I knew he would never go back. He was on methadone treatment for 9 yrs. to kick the habit, and could never had kept up that grueling schedule, or eat so much, if he was using.

Calm and content works for me. Do you meditate? That helps towards getting there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)