Upcoming surgery

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (81 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

In just over a week I'll be having surgery to remove a non malignant mass in my brain.  I have no idea as to what the results will be as it is located in a bad spot and removal or size reduction can bring many side effects, including blindness.  I've been dealing with a vision loss for a few months now, so obviously this is a big concern.  Surgery date is June 10.  I feel it will be helpful if those who wish to do so will send me some good thoughts and/or prayers that day as I'm going to need them.  I'm hoping for the best and I'm hoping to be able to continue writing here on HP once I recover.  If things don't work out, I wanted to take this moment to thank the team and all of my fellow writers for all of the help and support you have given me during my almost 8 years here at HP.  God bless all of you, and I hope every one of you is successful here and, more importantly, never has to deal with such a horrid health problem as this one..

1. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for posting so others can pray for you. I will pray re this request. May I suggest a book from Jerry Bridges titled "Trusting God When Life Hurts", as well as prayerfully reading an ESV or NASB New Testament. I understand that your vision is affected now but perhaps a friend could read for you. Am marking calendar to pray specifically on June 10 re the surgery.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much.  I am currently unable to read print, even large print, books of any kind.  The only way I can work with the internet is to greatly enlarge the print.  We have a great deal to do to prepare for this situation, so our time is very limited.  All I can say is that I believe very much that prayer and good thoughts do help.  In fact, they already have helped in numerous ways.  I've been placed on several prayer lists locally and am grateful for every one of them.  Thank you for reaching out.  Perhaps after surgery I'll be able to read those books you mentioned.

2. dougwest1 profile image97
      dougwest1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

TT2:
      Good luck with your surgery. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Thank you so much.

3. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
      letstalkabouteducposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What a remarkable person you are to wish us well when you're dealing with this! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers leading up to June 10 and beyond. You've made me realize how trivial so many of my worries are and that life is so short and precious. I hope all goes smoothly for you. God bless.

How sweet of you to say this.  Yes, life is short.  We waste so much of it and generally only realize that we've done so when trouble comes our way.  Fortunately, I've had a great life and have tried not to waste too much of it.  I have no regrets.  If things don't go well, I'll still have my memories and will somehow overcome the challenges.  I beat Breast Cancer, and I'll beat this problem, too.

4. Paul Kuehn profile image92
      Paul Kuehnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Best of luck and be optimistic!  I will be praying for you.

I will be needing all the help I can get.  thank you.

5. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Reading your profile Sondra - you've done so much, achieved so much - and helped many people here on HP with your advice and guidance. Great work.
      All strength to you with this latest challenge.

Thank you.  Your kind words are much appreciated.

6. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sending you best wishes and hoping that everything goes well for you. during and after your surgery.

Thank you.

7. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you have an excellent doctor who is tops in his field. I will mark my calendar and send healing light and prayers. You are always such a positive addition to this site, and I wish you all the best.

8. Brenda Arledge profile image80
      Brenda Arledgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Please contact me via email...you can do so through my profile.
      I was going to send you a message but i didnt find an email.
      I too have a similar issue. 
      There are sites for support you can join.
      In any case...You got this !  See you back here soon.

9. DavidYe133 profile image69
      DavidYe133posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Get well soon!!! I will be praying for you

10. Tommy45m profile image61
      Tommy45mposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks you so much,great info

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I smell spam.

2. Glenis Rix profile image95
    Glenis Rixposted 4 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune and I can understand that you are very scared and worried about the process and the outcome. It's natural and how anyone would feel in a similar position. I will certainly be sending my good wishes out to you on the 10th June, as I do now, hoping that you have the best possible outcome. x

Thank you.  For me it is not the surgery I fear but rather the outcome.  If you research pituitary gland tumors you'll see what I mean.  There are no guarantees with this one, BUT, I have a highly experienced doctor and a great hospital so can only hope for the best.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

TT2, Positive thoughts are coming your way. I can only see success and much better health. I am sure you are in the best of care. Hugs!!!

Thank you.  I can feel those hugs right through the computer!

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

TT2, I'm going through a similar thing. I'll spare the board my opinion of the reality construct we all live in. I wish the best for you.

I knew you were having some sort of vision problem, but you never said what it was.  I hope you are able to overcome it.  Thank you for your good wishes.

5. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

Wishing you all the best, Sondra. You are a woman of spirit and courage - you can get through this and come out the other side.

Sending you love and best wishes.

Bevxxxxxxx

Strength and courage come from love...and I'm getting plenty of that right here on this forum.  Thank you for sending yours.

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

My best wishes and positive thoughts to you, Sondra.  I have read, and used, more than a few of your hubs - you have been a very positive addition to our community and I certainly hope it will continue.

I will be thinking of you on that day.

I'm flattered to read what you wrote here.  I've always considered you to be one of the best here, so it's an honor to hear kind words from you about my writing.  I wish I could respond to each post, but just don't have the energy to do so right now.  However, every good word I read is giving me strength.

7. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

I hope it goes well. I know that your husband has had his troubles, too, which will not make it any easier. Best of luck to both of you.

Thanks, Will.   Yes, last February he had ablation surgery and came very close to dying but for the fast action of an outstanding heart surgeon.  Been a rough year, for sure...but he is doing really well right now, so we are blessed.

8. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 4 years ago

Best wishes, Sondra. I was very glad to read that you have such a good doctor and hospital. I will be thinking of you on the day.

I have always felt that seeking the best doctor and hospital and not just accepting the first choice can make a huge difference.  The first doc I saw wanted to do a craniotomy, and has much less experience than the doctor who actually will be operating.  I have every faith that all will go well, but of course until it's over and I know what the results will be, I'll be nervous.  Thanks for your good thoughts and wishes.

9. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

I also will pray, because I have seen prayer bring healing many times for others and also myself.  This includes vision -- For example, I was healed of long-time astigmatism and the optometrist said it was impossible but true. So I pray for your vision outcome to be a miracle in the name of Jesus.

Oh, I hope you're right.  The problem is in the brain, which is where we really see.  The eyes actually look normal when examined...except for the left which is now mostly affected by the brain mass.  There is no end to what people can achieve when they work  (or pray) together.  Thank you Patty.

10. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

I wish you a successful surgery, Sondra. Take care.

You, too, Brandon.  Thank you for all of the help and advice you have given me and continued success on HP and in life.

11. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 4 years ago

Good Luck and I hope you fare well in this new challenge.
    DON

Thanks.  You'll be interested to know that we'll be moving our RV to LazyDays for the duration of the surgery and immediate recovery time.  Will save Wayne having to drive across the bridge and will give us our own bed to sleep in, etc.  Still an RV girl even with this stuff going on!

12. SuperBrainwave profile image93
    SuperBrainwaveposted 4 years ago

Best wishes! I hope the outcome is positive and you can continue to contribute to HP!

Thanks.  I hope for that as well.

13. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

Modern medicine can do amazing things. My mom and my niece have both had surgery to remove non malignant tumors. In both cases the results have been very positive. I hope you have similar results, and take some encouragement from my experience. Of course I will be thinking of you, and sending healing thoughts your way. Looking forward to your future posts.

Thank you, Sherry.  It's good to know that there are people who have had similar problems and have done well after surgery.  Keep hoping my own results will be good as well.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I know it's a bit late to be thinking about this, and I don't wish to second guess your doctor, whom I assume you have complete trust in, but I'd be sorry if I didn't mention it. My mom had Gamma Knife treatment for a pineal tumor. I wonder if your surgeon has mentioned this treatment.

Thanks.  I'm aware of this option and have discussed with my surgeon, but my mass is part cyst and part tumor and he feels draining it will be the safest and best option.  He's got 34 years of experienced and comes highly recommended, so I have to assume he is correct.

14. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

I’m amazed at the skill of brain surgeons, TT2. My husband had a pituitary tumour and they operated via his nose. He woke up with a tampon in his nostril and his vision saved. We laugh about it now, years later. Pre-surgery was nerve-wracking for everyone, and you are doing brilliantly to prepare for all possible outcomes. I admire your strength, and I’m sending you and your husband my best wishes for every success and a speedy recovery!

You have just given me the very best present anybody could have given..hope!  Thank you, thank you, thank you...

15. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

Sondra, I just noticed this thread. Think positive. Technology has improved tremendously over the years for this kind of surgery. Focus on that. Wishing you successful results and a complete recovery. We all want you back so you can continue being an important part of the HubPages community as you have always been.

How lovely of you to say this.  I'm doing my best and have every hope that all will go well.

16. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Take care Sondra. Hope all goes well. Stay positive and think of everything that can go right!

Thanks.  I may be old, but I'm not quite ready yet to start looking up at the grass instead of down at it.!

17. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

TIMETRAVELER2, I'm trying not to be weepy but I can't help it. I know that's not what you need right now but I have to be honest. It's amazing how we end up feeling connected to people we don't even know. Thank you for sharing your condition with us. We are indeed connected in community and care about each other if we have beating hearts. I wish you a successful surgery and recovery.

Sondra, you are an integral part of HP and we expect you back soon. I will hold you in prayer on June 10th. Sending you hugs. smile Food for good thoughts: My father had emergency brain surgery at 91 for a major brain bleed that had been depleting his functioning for months. We celebrated his 95th birthday last weekend. He is better than ever, a voracious reader, drives everywhere, cooks his meals, and lives alone. Prayer works. Think positive. You will be fine.

Oh sweet girl, never be ashamed of being weepy when something like this happens to someone you care about.  Believe me, my husband and I have wept many times about this.  The story you shared was so uplifting.  God bless your Dad and your entire family!  Let me share another story with you.  I am not a person who cries easily.  So, two days ago my husband and I stopped for a quick bite at McDonalds.  Shortly, two older women, both very nicely dressed and done, sat down beside us, held hands, and had a short prayer prior to eating.  My husband, being the typical Irishman he is, started joking with them..they loved it, of course.  However, just before we left he told them about my condition.  They showed serious concern immediately and asked me if I would like them to pray for me.  I said yes, thinking that they would pray on my surgery date.  Wrong!  They grabbed both of us, stood holding hands with us right in the middle of McDonald's and said the most beautiful prayer.  I cried like a baby while this was happening.  Afterwords, the one woman started hugging me and whispering again and again that I was going to be OKI...and then asked for our contact info and gave us hers so that she would know how things worked out!  Remember, now, both of them were perfect strangers to us...yet they took the time to show their love for other human beings who were suffering.  Now, wipe those tears away and get back to your writing!  Good things are already happening and I now feel they will continue.  Thank you, my friend.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh Lord, now I'm really wiping tears. Those were angels sent from God.
        Hebrews 13:2 - "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (ESV)

I promise I will get back to my writing. Take good care.

I'm counting on it.  I know it's hard because you still work, but there are so many who need the wisdom you can offer them.

1. janshares profile image93

smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is very true. I feel connected to many here, Sondra is one of the few that I've interacted with a lot. I would not say we are strangers, just that we are friends who've never met.

P.S: Thanks for sharing the story at McD with us TT2.

You're welcome.  In this time of  crisis around the world it is very good to know that there still are people who have good hearts and are full of love and compassion, even for total strangers.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

So true.

18. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 4 years ago

Wishing you a smooth OP and a quick recovery TimeTraveler. All the best to you.

Thank you.

19. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 4 years ago

Thank you for letting us know TT. praying that all goes well and you are able to return to writing here very soon. All the best.

Thank you.  I am so grateful for all of the kind concern that people have shown me. It really does help.

20. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 4 years ago

I am sending you warm hugs and thoughts for a successful surgery and full recovery.
    Praying for you also.
    You got this!  No matter what...do not give up.  It may take some time but you will be back to yourself in no time.

I can't give up. I won't give up.  I have too much to live for, and I want to be able to live with my mind intact and my vision OK and I do feel my surgeon will do his best for me.  When I read his reviews come called him a "miracle worker"...so with all the prayers that are coming my way I can't help but feel all will be OK. Thank you so much.

21. innerspin profile image87
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

Wow. That's a lot to handle. You'll be in my thoughts.

I know every case is different, but I've seen many positive results while working in critical care. Having faith in your surgeon is so important, good to read that you feel in safe hands.

Here's hoping for the best possible outcome.

22. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

Time for an update, TT2. How are you traveling? Are you on the mend?

I’m sure many of us are thinking about you!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

When it comes to the post office, no news is good news.

When it comes to forums, usually it's the opposite.

Fortunately, neither of the above rules are 100%.

2. janshares profile image93

I've been thinking about her a lot, too. Hopefully, someone who emails her can let us know something soon.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

I did email her a few days ago, no response yet.

23. Kenna McHugh profile image91

I've been thinking about her, too.

24. lobobrandon profile image88

Just an update, Sondra replied saying she's home now and will write in soon.

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is good to hear, thank you so much for doing that.

2. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for sharing this message, Brandon. I was concerned about the situation. It's so nice to hear that Sondra's home.

1. gerimcclym profile image95
        gerimcclymposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, indeed. That is good news!

3. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Lobo.  Seems my thoughts weren't the only ones she was in from HubPages.

4. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Appreciate that Brandon. Good to know Sondra is home and on hopefully on the mend.

5. janshares profile image93

Happy to hear and relieved. Wonderful. Thank you, Brandon.

25. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Great to hear!

26. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 4 years ago

Hopefully, Sondra, you are able to read these notes. So glad you are home. Looking forward to hearing from you here at HP again when you are able.
    https://hubstatic.com/14523782_f1024.jpg

27. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

Welcome home Sondra! Glad you made it through the operation.

28. lobobrandon profile image88

For those of you here, she started a new thread with more details: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … lth-update

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)