If they say you are photogenic, would it mean...

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

You look better in pictures and quite disappointing in person?

I need as many replies as possible (lol), I mean in fairness to those who look really great in photos, where those great looks came from if they are not beautiful right?

And what makes those people so photogenic? is it the skin, the eyes etc...

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it pretty much means the pictures usually come out looking like the person.   Some people don't come out in pictures, looking as good as they look in real life.  (I'm one of them - always have been!   mad  For me, it's mostly because my hair, eye, and complexion colors don't really show up the way they really look; so I looked washed out and - REALLY - not too great.  lol  )  My big "prize-winning" picture is from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.  The woman saw how awful it looks and asked if I wanted a re-take.  I did - and got the same horrible picture with that.  She knew better than to try a third time.   lol  (I get the occasional good picture that looks like me, but it's about 20% of the time!   lol  )

People who look great in photos have to look similar in real life.  Not everyone who isn't bad looking in real life looks great in photos.

1. timorous profile image81
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  Hi Lisa.

Typically, government departments don't have a clue or give a damn about how the equipment works.  A 4-year old child could take a better picture.

Have you ever seen even a half-decent photo on a driver's licence or health card...no, of course not.  Mine looks like a ghost from Christmas past. smile

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
          KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My teenage daughter has taken 2 excellent driver's license photos.  I have one photo on my driver's license back in my teens that was an awesome photo too.  So, it does happen...but I agree that it's pretty rare for most people.

2. profile image49
          StarringUposted 12 years agoin reply to this

YES. ME!  LOL. its funny really that every Christmas Holiday or gathering where a lot of photos are taken, my siblings and friends always pick apart everyones pix but mine...rather comical, really to hear them say i would even take a great convict pix.  NOT!!!

3. Handy mateAU profile image61
          Handy mateAUposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My teenage daughter has taken 2 excellent driver's license photos.  I have one photo on my driver's license back in my teens that was an awesome photo too.  So, it does happen...but I agree that it's pretty rare for most people.

4. unhar assed profile image61
          unhar assedposted 3 years agoin reply to this

2. memorablerafter profile image59
        memorablerafterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Typically, government departments don't have a clue or give a damn about how the equipment works.  A 4-year old child could take a better picture.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Maria Cecilia, some women look beautiful in photos maybe because of lighting, make up etc., angle or it depends on the photographer capturing best moments. My sister and friend always tell me, I am not photogenic, and now I ask her what does it mean, it means, I look better in person, she said! Then I ask her again how come, she explained my eyes are glowing in person, she said, but not in photos. I also look taller in photos,

It doesn't mean that when you are photogenic, you don't look good in person, maybe you just look best on photos.

3. profile image52
      Rose Upshurposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There are people in the world who look much better in real life than in the photo and vice versa. How is it going? I would also like to know! I get beautiful only in portrait photos and then after I choose a good angle of the face. It is rumored that the photos show us as we really are. In my opinion, the photos show us one disappointment: (

4. Luis Avila profile image61
      Luis Avilaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It depends a lot on the person, there are people who say that because effectively they always spend their time on the phone taking photos

5. rx discounts profile image61
      rx discountsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think it pretty much means the pictures usually come out looking like the person.   Some people don't come out in pictures, looking as good as they look in real life.

6. profile image58
      Peter Kwameposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I will say , the appearance of the look of people in pictures mostly depends on the kind of camera that was used and also the weather conditions as at the time and where the photo shoot went on. Mostly,, under sunny or light full environments dark people look a little fairer in pictures they take under such conditions . And also the quality of the camera together with the camera settings could change the appearance of the person in pictures

7. profile image0
      Alma Evansposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Your look on a photo is much dependent on the expertise the photographer has in taking photos. You may appear the best in some angles and a person who is an expert in photography can bring the most out of you while taking a photograph. But the fact you should realize is that this doesn't mean you aren't that good to see in person. You may be as gorgeous as you appear in the photograph. It's only that the person holding the camera has the expertise to bring in the real you through photographs.

2. Maria Cecilia profile image82

Thanks Ms. Lisa for the response, you have good funny answer, but indeed very informative I like what you said here:

"People who look great in photos have to look similar in real life.  Not everyone who isn't bad looking in real life looks great in photos."

3. Joe Badtoe profile image61
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I find that if I pose in the middle of say 6 or 7 Hyenas I look really photogenic but if I sit amongst 6 or 7 male models I look like a hyena.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You got something against hyenas?

4. Joy56 profile image65
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

it is about the confidence the person has, i think.  I am not photogenic, when a camera is pointed in my direction, i try to hide, and the photos never turn out good.  I try to hide my size hide behind people etc.

My daughter is extremely photogenic, i have never seen a bad picture of her.  She relaxes in front of the camera, always, and so her good looks shine through,

5. Maria Cecilia profile image82

Joe Badtoe.... thanks what a smart funny remarks

Joy 56 maybe you are right,in my case I am not comfortable is someone is taking my solo pic... I would rather take a shot of myself, because I can smile freely without getting conscious and the result is always better

6. Shopping-Online profile image64
    Shopping-Onlineposted 13 years ago

It simply means that you look good on photo.

7. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

When I shoot photos, the definition of photogenic to me means that the beauty of the person shines through.  There is warmth, life, and a peacefulness which emminates from the photo.  The photo "feels" alive and the background adds to the person.  Honestly, a dog can be photogenic as well as a flower.  It's all about capturing the essence of the subject.  That is photogenic.

8. Maria Cecilia profile image82

Timorous thanks I agree with you I had my experience when I got my NBI clearance (government too) most of the time I look good in photos but in that one I really look like a criminal hahahah..

Shopping on line -  thanks maybe you are right just add no complication and just accept you look good in pictures

beth100 Thanks Beth, my Dog Peso is really photogenic, he outshines me most of the time

prettydarkhorse Thanks for following, am I obviously afraid I look disappointing in person hahaha, well you are right there are people who look best on photos, and one of the reason maybe is because they are relax and ready when they had it...

9. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

It is about the angles from where you look best, and then about the definition of your face, as in the lumps bumps and dark and light.  In normal circumstance we have to look closely at someone to see the 'good' bits and from the right angle so you can't see the 'bad' bits.  Almost every 'photogenic' person has bad pictures, but then those pics don't seem to survive do they big_smile

10. Maria Cecilia profile image82

Alternate Poet... thanks.. hahaha you are right about bad pictures, they don't exist anymore

11. Bloghead profile image55
    Blogheadposted 13 years ago

Most people choose pictures of themselves that look the best so naturally you get comments on it.

12. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Just means the camera likes them..nothing more nothing less.

13. Maria Cecilia profile image82

thaks for your reply, it made me feel at ease hahahah

14. Bard of Ely profile image78
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I think it depends on what photos people see. I mean most people who are said to be photogenic only have good photos of themselves available for people to see and all the bad ones don't appear.

Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

very true my ugly photos dont exist anymore

15. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think a lot has to do with being relaxed. I have a hard time getting a good picture of my wife unless I catch her off guard and she doesn't realize I am about to take her picture. She tenses up - probably because of all the 'bad" pictures taken when she was also tense!

I see that is why my self photographed pics look great, because I am more relax when no one is looking at me, and I can smile without getting so conscious

16. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Maybe people who are photogenic are truly beautiful but in photos they look even better - like they have the kind of facial bone structure that really comes across well in photos - high cheek bones, luscious lips, rather exaggerated eyes and good skin tones help.  But sometimes quite homely people really sparkle in photos, mainly because they are smiling.  a smile always helps people look better.  almost always, unless the teeth look bad or something!  If you really examine the features that photograph well you will see that the eyes are wide-spaced, the nose is not too large - everything is in proportion and positioned on the face in the right places.  I wish I was like this - my children are, but I look really clownish in photos - especially when I am laughing.  hmm

17. Maria Cecilia profile image82

Thanks mega that is such a well explained opinion

18. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I don't know about nowadays, but if we hark back to the days of the old black and white photo, to be photogenic meant that a person had the right contrasts, for example, dark eyebrows, hair, eyes, alabaster skin and the like.   Such people generally were regarded as good photographic models.   I can recall being introduced to the wife of a shipmate - who, although quite attractive, was certainly not beautiful in the sense of being a Hollywood beauty queen - to be told that she was a sort after photographer's model.

Of course, with colour photography, and digital at that, all this could well have changed.  What with cropping, darkening and lightening of photos, etc., plain old good looks is probably what counts today.

oh yes I think I know what you  mean, in earlier photography, those with the darker complexion are the ones who look good in pictures...

19. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I think good lighting can make a photo of someone look better.

If you are photogenic then you are probably going to look good even if the photo has not been taken in the 'best light'. So while others might not look their best the fortunate person who is photogenic will.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can recall many, many years ago, before digital photograhy and even before color prints, when photographers could only take black and white photos, meeting a photographers model.   This young lady was said to be photogenic because of her contrasting colors:  e.g. raven dark hair, pale white and unblemished skin.  Good figure - or good bones, as they sometime say.   But mainly good to look at in both the flesh and in a black and white photo.

The important thing:  how they look in a photo.

20. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I am photogenic... this means I look good in pictures, but not so good in person.  Seriously!  Two years ago, I attended one of those internet friendship/dating site get-together, and one woman pointed at my friend next to me saying "You, you look like your picture."  And then pointed at me and said "But you, you don't look like your picture."  I'm a little slow, so it took me a moment to ask my friend "Did she just insult me?"  sad sad http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-016.gif

1. mel22 profile image60
      mel22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

well rosie, you certainly are photogenic and you're honest in your view of yourself outside of pictures, so it just reiterates what I posted above. I have never seen you in real life to say whether you are or aren't,  so by definition you would probably not fall into the category below average then.Of course my definition may be wrong .. who knows?

21. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

It really has mostly to do with things like your skin type, such as how translucent your skin is. You can be a raving beauty but if the light passes through your skin you will look horrible under a light.

Then there are things like the shape of your nose the spacing of your eyes how reflective your iris is and the depth of color. Usually can be overcome by the right camera angle.

There are also certain things like the ratio of your face / body. IE; how long your arms and legs are, length / width of your face.

some people are just more expressive than others and that shines through. More animated people make better models.

A good photographer who is also a reasonable makeup artist can take a good photo of just about anyone... you might not think it looks like you though.

22. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

it means they cature well on photo whether they are truly good looking in real life or just mediocre. i don't think an ugly person could ever be photgenic by definition though as they would have to mutate in completely the opposite direction. so if somepone calls you that your at the very least; average... by no means am i referring to you personally...haha.just my opinion

23. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

I am anti-photogenic, I have never taken a decent picture, yet alot of ladies comment that i'm handsome so i would have to say then that I am probably only slightly better looking than average or I would have to mutate. Everyone always comments how my picture is not even close to me in reality. Maybe their catching a glimpse of the soul at a specific moment and could be why some people shine in pictures and others don't and their overall movement in real time cant 'picture it' so to speak.

24. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I think a lot of people who are "photogenic" know how to hold their face for a photo, they have a certain facial expression and an angle they know is attractive. I don't. The way I look in the photo never matches the way I look in my mind.

25. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

To me, a photogenic person is one who's picture turns out good most of the time. Rarely does a bad one appear, they just look good in almost all the pictures that are taken of them, attractive or not.

26. profile image52
    vasingerposted 10 years ago

Hello, I'm late to this thread.

MYTH: Photogenic means you look better in person than in real life

Truth:
    To say photogenic means a person looks good on photo, but not in person, Is not true at all.
    That is not what it means. It simply means the person looks really good in pictures. The person
    may or may not be good looking in person. However, usually they are good looking in person, but look even better in pictures. Some good looking people don't photograph well. But above all, photogenic means you look STRIKING  in a picture. Its not just hair, skin, eyes, its just that the camera captures the essence of a person so very well. And its in a beautiful way.

Its also true that some people look good on video (film) , but not as good in photos. Others look good in both, or in neither. However, bottom line, photogenic is a compliment. It doesn't mean an ugly person looks good on camera. It means a person regardless of how they look in person looks good in photos. 9 times out of 10, photogenic people are extremely attractive in real life. I know people say unattractive people can look good in pictures, but that would be an anomaly

1. Erwin Pil profile image56
      Erwin Pilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I AGREE!

27. profile image57
    browndianec32posted 6 years ago

I think a lot of people who are "photogenic" know how to hold their face for a photo, they have a certain facial expression and an angle they attractive . Some people don't come out in pictures, looking as good as they look in real life.  (I'm one of them - always have been)!   So while others might not look their best the fortunate person who is photogenic will.

28. LauraTallo profile image60
    LauraTalloposted 6 years ago

It means that you are relaxed in front of the camera. It means that the photographer was able to capture "connection".  I am a "blinker". I have this uncanny ability to blink right as the shutter is released. I have to close my eyes and have the photographer say, "1,2,3, open!"  Then I open my eyes (most of the time too wide- and I look like a speed freak).  I don't feel comfortable in front of the camera for still shots, but I don't mind making videos! Weird, huh?!   I prefer to be on the other side of the camera.  When I shoot, I go for connection. I will work with my client until I get it, too!

29. profile image54
    Rashidali258posted 3 years ago

Such a great information thanks for sharing us!
    Plz visit here https://apkinstalling.com/girl-x-battle-2-mod-apk/

30. Chungle profile image61
    Chungleposted 3 years ago

Have a nice day .

31. Aaliyah Ashley profile image60
    Aaliyah Ashleyposted 3 years ago

It's funny as the perspective of yourself without the looking glass can be negative. I think pictures opens our eyes to show how we really look. Not going to lie somethings we have some ugly looking picture "our perspective" but if you look at the picture long enough sometimes you will uncover things about yourself. Like the simple things that you would not notice like how the "normal eye" hold a story..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)