Could someone please explain the Sarah Palin phenomena.

Jump to Last Post 101-118 of 118 discussions (587 posts)
  1. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Not sure if this is still about Palin, but here is my take.
    She is hot and she has the guts to say what is on her mind!  What else could you want in a woman?

1. kartika damon profile image68
      kartika damonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about brains and integrity?

1. jiberish profile image79
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you said it in your hub is Palin 'retarded'. Even though i disagree, I have read your Hubs, and I had some respect for you until you used those words knowing she has a disabled child.

1. tksensei profile image60
          tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You make a valid point.

2. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really, bashing people behind their back requires a lot of brain and integrity. smile

1. nicomp profile image62
          nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That makes Jon Stewart a genius.

1. Sara Tonyn profile image61
            Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who has he bashed behind his/her back?

Anything said on his award-winning coast-to-coast cable show is hardly behind-the-back bashing.

2. livelonger profile image87
          livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't aware that Kartika had the opportunity to express her feelings about Sarah Palin to her face-to-face.

1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe Misha has decided to defend Sarah Palin on the basis that she's 'cute.'  That takes a lot of both those qualities mentioned, of course.

He can probably speak for himself, huh?

2. Misha profile image62

I agree, probably she didn't. Don't see how this relates to my post though? smile

1. livelonger profile image87
              livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Criticizing a politician is not "bashing them behind their back," unless you have an opportunity to express your discontent with them, right?

1. Misha profile image62

Since when implying that somebody doesn't have brains is fair criticizing?

3. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, how about that?

4. Sara Tonyn profile image61

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! smile

2. BJC profile image68
    BJCposted 14 years ago

Check out the following.  One was even on MSNBC

This is a quote from the article following written by Michelle Malkin

"The same ACORN tied to massive voter fraud in Missouri. And Ohio. And 12 other states. Here’s the Washington state scoop via Seattle’s KOMO TV: “King County prosecutors filed felony charges Thursday against seven people in what a top official described as the worst case of voter-registration fraud in state history, while the organization they worked for agreed to keep a better eye on its employees and pay $25,000 to defray costs of the investigation. The seven submitted about 1,800 registration cards last fall on behalf of the liberal Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, which had hired them at $8 an hour to sign people up to vote, according to charging documents filed in Superior Court.”

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/07/26/ac … e-history/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30567548/

http://www.rottenacorn.com/activityMap.html

They have admitted falsely registering people!

If you truly believe that they just made up names without the intention utilzing them, then I'll sell you swamp land in South Florida.

Or simply to make more money as I already mentioned.

Either way, there's still no evidence a phony vote was cast and counted, regardless of intent.

Should I drag up all the Republican tinkering and interference in the past 4 or 5 elections? Can I assume they intended to tamper with the votes? Can I assume they actually succeeded even if I don't have proof?

1. jiberish profile image79
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I assume you will have a harder time finding interference from past elections than with this one.  But go at it, unless you want to bring up the Clintons, then I can help with that.

Did you not understand my point?

3. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Anyone got any stats on how many dead people voted in Ohio?

Not dead people as much as people who were shuttled from precinct to precinct by Acorn operatives. Acorn submitted so many registrations that one election board threw up its' collective hands and gave up. They couldn't possibly validate all of them before the election.

So if those ACORN registrations were never validated (due to lack of time), they were never cast and never counted. Therefore, no phony votes made it into the election.

Thanks. smile

oops. wrong. They were accepted, just not vetted properly. You don't really think the Boards of Elections would refuse to let people vote after the way Ken Blackwell was assaulted, do you?

If the registrations were accepted anyway, it still doesn't prove any bogus votes were actually cast or counted.

2. profile image0
          girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry - had to jump in. wink ACORN boils my blood.

Here goes:

Fraudulent votes make it into every single election. Voter fraud is rampant. Our system is flawed. Greatly. Voter fraud is rarely prosecuted, however it is starting to become more common. We need to make examples of the criminals who break the law just "because they can". Vote fraud (illegally casting a ballot) and fraudulent voter registrations are both VERY serious crimes.

That being said, Obama did win the election fair and square, I'm not sure if anyone is implying otherwise (I hope not). Campaigns spend lots of money and manpower observing the election process. While there were many disconcerting events in the last election (namely fraudulent ACORN registrations), that was the only *widespread* fraud witnessed. Of course there were many little incidents all over the country, but nothing unusual or nefarious - other than ACORN's fraudulent activity.

While collecting false voter registrations is a crime (which some ACORN employees did), a fraudulent voter registration does not necessarily mean that an illegal vote will be cast on Election Day or prior to ED via an early vote or absentee ballot.

1. rhamson profile image71
            rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Corrupting the vote is the last bastion of defense we have to foil the lobbyist held congress.  With recent election scullduggery from 2000 and further on back and to date there is lots of manipulation of the vote being attempted.  What is funny is that while there is much evidence and witnessing of this going on you hardly see any convictions.  Why is that?

1. profile image0
              Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you making a joke? smile

Maybe? Is it on you?

1. profile image0

???

??????

2. profile image0

The answer to your question is the same for any other crime...it is up to each individual state and their AG's office whether or not someone will be prosecuted. These investigations take time and money and unfortunately, some officials simply turn their heads.

3. profile image0

Lets go further back, say 1960, Kennedy carried Texas an interesting development considering the hatred rampant for him here. In Fannin and Angelina County it was discovered that more votes were cast than they had registered voters, 2/3 going to Kennedy. There was rampant fraud in Illinois also, 56 people from one house voted for Kennedy, must of been a big house.

Its not debatable that the 1960 election was stolen from Nixon and it was done by Democrats, probably time to get over the 2000 election since the Democrat attempt at changing the will of Florida voters was unsuccessful!

But Texan you don't vote.

1. profile image0

Sure I do, just because I didn't vote in the last presidential election does not mean I don't vote.

It's not debatable? LOL

Don't your legs hurt from making those quantum leaps?

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
              Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While you are criticizing ACORN, you should also recognize widespread GOP efforts to suppress the minority vote, as in Florida where the election was stolen from Al Gore in 2000.

4. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Why did you ask if it was on me? Obviously the guy who gets in as a result of voter fraud isn't going to prosecute those who committed the fraud to get him in.

I did not get your sarcasm and therefore did not know how to relate your comment.

The fact of the matter is that if indeed there is voter fraud going on and we don't prosecute it we are doomed.

The Nazis took the peoples weapons and their tongues and ultimately the vote.  Are we headed the same way?

1. profile image0

I agree 110%.

2. profile image0

Your original question was "What is funny is that while there is much evidence and witnessing of this going on you hardly see any convictions.  Why is that?"

So why would the person with the power to prosecute, prosecute? I don't know how to reverse the trend except by protest - kind of like those "angry mobs" in DC.

Yeah it stinks - but there it is.

Maybe this topic is better expressed in the forum I started about the two party system is killing democracy.

LOL Well, it's sure taking its time about it!

5. BJC profile image68
    BJCposted 14 years ago

www.GOOOH.com is the route.  Evict the house of representatives and have your local representative in office.  Non-partisan and all are welcome.

6. profile image52
    xenophon 909posted 14 years ago

Shouldn't be all that difficult to figure out- I realize it has been a long,long time since we have had a political figure who speaks with a straight tongue- Sarah has convictions, integrity and she is one of us-she LOVES her country and she wants to preserve it for her children as well as ours- her record as the Governor of Alaska speaks volumes-she gave me hope- I believe that she knows what our country needs and I believe she know how to make it happen-- ~~SARAH PALIN 2012

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't realize she'd been convicted.

1. profile image0

Ron, you couldn;t come up with anything lamer?

Sorry to dissapoint. smile

1. profile image0

A picture? Breast comment? Nothing?

Her very existence is such a joke it seems my efforts are superfluous.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Dear Mrs. Palin,
    Everything you say is true. You are beautiful and talented and down to earth. But speaking for myself alone, the real attraction to you is your -- oops, I'm feeling a moment of social awkwardness here, as I don't know the proper term -- would-be son-in-law? Daughter's boyfriend? Father of your grandchild?
    Well, you know who I mean. That hunky hunk Levi Johnston! Yeah, baby!

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/news/090608/levi_johnston1.jpg

1. profile image0
      Star Witnessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eh, OK...  I prefer objects of attraction a little more, um, closer to heaven in aspects of mind than that of earth, so to speak.

2. profile image0
      SarahPalinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO!!!. They love me because I am me DONTCHA KNOW!!!!

8. Kimberlu profile image66
    Kimberluposted 14 years ago

I am still trying to figure it out when someone figures out why Sarah is so news wothy please tell me.
    In my opion the woman reminds me of a ditzy blonde, I can not find one thing I like about her not to mention she is very annoying.
    Sorry had to get that off my chest.

So if you find the answer pleaase let me know.

Have a Great Weekend Hubbers !!!!

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't see how any thinking person could explain her.

1. Misha profile image62

You can't explain love at a first sight, can you? wink

10. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

haha, Misha

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

She's definitely charismatic, I'll give her that.
    But so was Marilyn Monroe and I don't think anyone would have considered her for POTUS, even though she did sing a lovely rendition of "Happy Birthday, Mr. President..."

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL MM, I would say Mr O does not have more qualifications than her, yet he got elected wink

13. drej2522 profile image68

a bit below the belt...though true nonetheless

14. drej2522 profile image68

and stand by my original answer here...she's hot...that's it!

15. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The thing that could have been amazing would be America trying to explain to the sane world why the Vice President speaks in tongues! lol

What part is the "sane world"?

roll

16. garynew profile image60
    garynewposted 14 years ago

SOME people find her "MILF"-y.  Please don't ask me what that acronym means, as I certainly wouldn't know.

17. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Here's one of the best explanations of the Palin phenomenon that I've seen. It's by one of the NYTimes two GOP op-ed writers, Ross Douthat--He says the GOP needs a leader with an "intellectually vigorous conservatism." Palin is certainly vigorous enough but I haven't heard anyone accuse her of being intellectually vigorous!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/opini … ef=opinion
    Op-Ed Columnist
    They Chose Celebrity

By ROSS DOUTHAT
    Published: November 22, 2009

Before the 2008 election, almost nobody outside Alaska and Arkansas had heard of Sarah Palin or Mike Huckabee. But in a long and crowded campaign season, they were the only Republican politicians who inspired any genuine enthusiasm.
    Skip to next paragraph
    Susan Etheridge for The New York Times

Go to Columnist Page »
    Ross Douthat's Evaluations

Ross Douthat welcomes readers to his new blog.
    More From Evaluations »
    Related
    Times Topics: Sarah Palin | Mike Huckabee
    Readers' Comments

Readers shared their thoughts on this article.

* Read All Comments (134) »

They had other things in common as well. Both came from lower-middle-class backgrounds, and joined a soft-edged social conservatism to a strong populist streak. Both had been considered pragmatists, rather than ideologues, as governors of their home states. Both were untainted by the failures of the Bush-era Republican Party.

And both had the same Achilles’ heel: They seemed unready for high office, and owed their appeal more to personality than to substance.

This meant that both faced the same post-election choice. Did they want to take their newfound eminence seriously? Or did they want to cash in on their celebrity?

For Palin, the serious path required at least serving out her term as governor before returning to the national stage. For Huckabee, it could have involved anything from starting a think tank to running for the Senate in 2010. For both, it would have meant wedding their political identity to ideas as well as attitudes.

So far, they’ve chosen celebrity instead. Huckabee spent the last year hamming it up on a weekly talk show, and the last month hawking a book of inspirational Christmas stories. As for Palin — well, you probably know what she’s been up to lately.

Nobody should begrudge them their choices. Think tanks are a snooze; Senate races are a grind. Signing autographs for your adoring fans is more fun than rounding up budget votes in Juneau.

But they were the wrong moves if either wanted to become president someday. Huckabee’s gabfest is a weekly reaffirmation of the rap that he’s too lightweight for the Oval Office. Palin has sealed her identity as a culture-war lightning rod: she can inspire hysteria from liberals (ably catalogued in Matthew Continetti’s “Persecution of Sarah Palin”) and adulation from conservatives (visible at every stop along her book tour), but she’s unlikely to persuade anyone in the middle to trust her with the reins of government.

It’s possible to be a celebrity and a serious politician at the same time: Barack Obama’s career proves as much. But Obama’s celebrity status is frequently a political liability, and he’s (usually) wise enough to know it. That’s why he plays the wonk as often as he plays the global icon.

For now, no Republican leader projects a similar level of seriousness. Late in the Bush years, it was easy to dismiss conservatism as brain-dead. Among policy thinkers, that isn’t true anymore: the advent of Obama seems to have provided just the jolt that right-of-center wonks needed. But innovative proposals are useless without politicians willing to champion them.

When the Republican minority needed an alternative to the Obama administration’s sweeping stimulus proposal, for instance, a number of free-market economists were ready with an answer: a payroll tax cut. It was plausible, elegant and easy to explain — but there was no Republican leader with the wit to seize on it and sell it.

You could tell the same story about regulatory reform. A slew of conservative economists and think tankers, led by the University of Chicago’s Luigi Zingales and the Manhattan Institute’s Nicole Gelinas, have been working on ways to protect free markets from a re-run of last fall’s “too big to fail” fiasco. But most Republican politicians would rather rail against bailouts that have already happened than talk about how to prevent them from happening again.

In the health care debate, too, conservative and libertarian policy thinkers have floated a number of plans to expand insurance coverage. Some are incremental and some are sweeping; some build on the existing system and some would essentially replace it. But any of them would be better than that threadbare plan House Republicans actually put forward, which would hardly expand coverage at all.

True, these ideas won’t sell millions of books, or excite the crowd on Huckabee’s talk show. But they’re what the Republican Party needs if it’s going to be more than just a brake on liberalism’s ambitions. And they’re what voters are going to be looking for, in 2012 and beyond, as proof that conservatives can be trusted once again.

This means that there are substantial political rewards awaiting the politician who becomes the voice of an intellectually vigorous conservatism. It probably won’t be Mike Huckabee or Sarah Palin. If Republicans are lucky, though, it will be somebody who shares their charisma — but who prefers the responsibilities of leadership to the pleasures of celebrity.

18. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

There is that incredible irony that in her GOP convention speech, Palin said that she actually had an executive job and Obama was just a community organizer...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)