Coronavirus Lockdown

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (117 posts)
  1. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 4 years ago

There are several countries that have declared a national lockdown, like Italy, Spain and Germany.

Today, Puerto Rico governor declared a total lockdown and curfew, even though there're only 5 confirmed cases, but most of us approved and appreciated it.

Schools were closed already, now I'm so glad my husband can stay home with us, so none of us have to worry about getting sick.

Do you think there's going to be similar actions in the US? Or at least stronger than what you have now? Would you approved?

1. hard sun profile image78
      hard sunposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I may approve as long as they don't say I can['t take my dog for a walk, lol. However, is the US government able and willing to deal with the economic impact of this? Many people around here go without one or two paychecks and they're living on credit cards. If they are lucky enough to have them

2. KhalilWrites profile image50
      KhalilWritesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so, there is enough chaos in the US right now and people won't obey the lockdown orders first of all.
      But i hope things get better over time.
      2020 has been a mess so far. but we must hope for good!

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 4 years ago

I would think people would have already locked their activities down in response to the threat. It's sad it takes government to force people to make logical decisions.

Personally, I think the government should put a moratorium on late charges for all consumer debt, a moratorium on interest charges for all credit card debt, ban evictions and collections if anyone loses their job due to restrictions imposed or contracts the illness and guarantee all medical bills associated with the illness are 100% cancelled.

I'd impose additional tariffs on products from China after the emergency is over to cover government expenditures incurred protecting the American people through this time, since transparency at critical moments could have helped other countries prepare to mitigate the number of infections.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't see that simply shifting the cost to someone else will solve anything.  For instance - a landlord has a dozen tenants not paying the rent.  Simply saying that he has to eat that cost means he can't make the mortgage on the tenement, whereupon the bank forecloses.  Or you could also shift the cost to the bank, making it the goat for a thousand tenements across the nation, whereupon it goes under.

It's much more complicated than simply making the deeper pockets eat the cost of millions of people unable to live without a job.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree it is more complicated than that. However, my suggestions are for top to bottom. This grinding halt because of the pandemic should not beggar financially. Not if we care about this nation.

I'm not talking solely about hourly workers. I'm talking about all of us. Individuals and businesses. The whole thing rolls up hill. The world won't stop revolving.

The longer this goes on, and the bigger the panic gets (toilet paper hoarding indeed!) the more it guarantees that some WILL be beggared.  A great many have already been hurt badly, and we're just getting started.

Ah. I see you mentioned the toilet paper conundrum. I have somewhat figured that out.

I'm certain people are already suffering. I'm simply saying what the government could do and how they should attempt to recoup the expenditures once this is over.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
              gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

+1000000000000000000

2. gmwilliams profile image85

+100000000000000

2. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think it's  great that you are  acknowledging the grave seriousness of the situation and thinking about solutions .

We should all think of each other in times like these.

2. gmwilliams profile image85

This is indeed very serious.  Coronavirus is the 21st century bubonic plaque.

Oh. I think you're exaggerating. We aren't there yet.

2. MizBejabbers profile image86
        MizBejabbersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are correct, and all landlords don't have deep pockets. It appears that I'm going to have to evict a tenant I've been trying to work with because he's been steadily getting behind and ignoring my pleas for him to try catch up. With a history like his, I would hate for the government to tell me I had to keep on giving him free rent.

There will be moments where people take advantage of the situation and unfairly gain, but I think everyone can wait 2-4 weeks. Everyone can work together, or we can simply let this virus create a free for all downfall.

But, I'm not unfamiliar with dead beat tenants. If the person in question is healthy there is no law or moral imperative to not move forward with eviction in such a case at this time.

We should not allow ourselves to ignore solutions to help the whole because of one offs such as yours.

"We should not allow ourselves to ignore solutions to help the whole because of one offs such as yours."

Absolutely true.  But the answer isn't just to shove the costs onto someone else, someone that likely can't afford to absorb them any more than the first person.  Are we a nation, helping one another, or just a mob grabbing any cash they can from anyone they perceive to have it?

I honestly think you are missing the point

3. IslandBites profile image88

Lockdown Day 4

We're good. Having fun with the kiddos. Love having hubby home all day. Homeschooling.
    Glad PR is under lockdown.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

PR is going to look brilliant for the lockdown in about two or three weeks.

It's payback for getting burned by Trump's hurricane help.

IslandBitesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We're doing what he have to do. Except there's new people possibly infected coming everyday. Most of us want the airport to close, at least these next two weeks. But that's under Fed control. The Governor just asked FAA to suspend airport operations for domestic, international flights & charter flights for 14 days. But I doubt they'll agree.

Today 7,000+ passengers were screened at the airport by the National Guard.

4. IslandBites profile image88

Almost a week now.

Things are under "control" for now.

At home, we're doing fine. Hubby went yesterday to the supermarket to pick up an order. I received him with sanitizer, disinfecting wipes and spray.  But before I let him in, he had to go straight from the garage to the laundry, take his shoes off, get his clothes into the machine and come back in naked. LOL

Today, I had to improvised because little one wanted to bake with me. (His first time. He was so excited! <3 )

https://hubstatic.com/14929386.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/14929385.jpg

(Orange-Cinnamon Semolina Cake)

1. profile image0

Looks yummy.  I have been indulging in my love of baking, too, but I can't give any of it away now so my pants are getting tight despite the walk I take everyday. lol

Thanks!

LOL!

I baked them but never eat them. I do not have a sweet tooth. Hubby and kiddos on the other hand... lol

2. hard sun profile image78

Oh wow that looks good...fluffy. I think you guys are doing better with your precautions than we are. I just read a bit more about spreading ailments among people within a home, and we are tightening ship a bit more beyond our normal practices.

Thank you!

Well, we're trying. Unfortunately, not everybody follows instructions. Im glad there have been some arrests here. We still can get out between 5am to 9pm, but only to get groceries, food (drive thru only) gas or medicine (just one member of the family), or to go to a hospital.

We are not under that tight of restriction yet here locally. Although most anything "non essential" is closed. Only restaurants that have drive thrus or curb side pickup are open. The school lunch company is coming through great, giving out breakfast and lunch for kids. One location is withing walking distance so we are able to walk there, and I was even to help for a bit. Walks help a lot in between the rain.

Oh, that's nice. School food is the only meal in the day for a lot of kids. This is a really sad situation.

Yes, it is a sad situation that the source of meals for some of our precious children is school lunches.   It is the irresponsibility of some parents to have children when it is obvious that they can't afford them.   Responsible parents have children when they can afford them plain & simple.  It is the irresponsible parents who have children regardless of whether they can afford them or not.  The problem is with the irresponsible parents who don't understand the concept of having children when they can afford it!!!

Motto is: If you can't feed them, don't breed them...…….

"It is the irresponsibility of some parents to have children when it is obvious that they can't afford them."

Some people can afford them and then they cant. Things happen. I think the real problem is too many judgmental people who cannot understand that they don't know the situation that  lead a person to where they are, unless they really actually know that person. This type of thinking brings a lot of people down and causes many problems.

Yes, while there are unseen circumstances, there are irresponsible people who KNOW that they can't afford children yet in their selfishness have them.  Those are the "people" I vehemently condemn.   My mantra is to not have children unless one can afford them financially, emotionally, & psychologically.   The FEP principle should be applied before one becomes a parent...

"My mantra is to not have children unless one can afford them financially, emotionally, & psychologically."

I think humans would no longer be around if this was the standard.

Yes. It's good to see some people in the community coming together to help though.

5. IslandBites profile image88

Oh God, another rant about poor people. Please go to one of your 8000k threads about that.

So, lockdown... I lost track of the days now. lol

Supermarkets are open, but we chose not to go. Luckily, we can shop online and just pick up the order at a supermarket that is five mins from our house. But the wait for the orders have progressively increased, so our next order will be ready in 5 days.

The governor and experts are thinking about extending the lockdown for another 2 weeks. I'm ok with that. In fact, I hope she does. Most of us do.

Intelligent people have children when they are prepared financially, emotionally, & psychologically.  It is only the unintelligent who have children willy nilly.    Don't you get it.  If people waited until they were prepared financially, emotionally, & psychologically to have children, 90% of societal problems would be solved.  This is SIMPLE LOGIC.   I knew this at 14 years of age.   I can't fathom why people are so irresponsible.    If one can't afford it, don't do it.

If people were responsible regarding procreation, there wouldn't be so many social problems.  There wouldn't be welfare, government assistance, & other convoluted, inane social programs which are total wastes of tax dollars.  People should be responsible for their lives.  If one can't afford to do something, DON'T DO IT...….it's that simple.  But oh no, people have their primitive wants & will do what they desire w/o worrying about the ramifications of their INFANTILE behavior...….. Mature people THINK before they act while IMMATURE people ACT then think if they ever do...….

However, I disgressed.      Yes, the coronavirus lockdown is totally necessary.  There must be measures implemented in order to curtail the disease.  Coronavirus is the 21st century bubonic plague.

1. MizBejabbers profile image86

I just saw a feature special on a country in Europe that is so desperate for more population that they pay people to marry and have babies. With the 3rd child, they give a family a minivan. There are other premiums depending on the number of children. I wish I could remember which country it is that is doing that, seems like it may have been Belgium. Our irresponsible people could move there to help them out. lol There's only one catch though. You need to be white and preferably blond and blue-eyed. (Sound familiar?) Some other countries like India and Denmark are also wanting fertility rates to rise. After COVID-19 in finished, all countries may be begging for higher fertility rates, too.

1. peterstreep profile image80
              peterstreepposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you write such a thing MizBejabbers, please be more specific. As it now stands it looks like spreading of unchecked rumours. Give the sorce of the story, tell it correctly. You are basically accusing an unknown country (possibly Belgium) of fascism. It is simply insinuating.
              Like I'm saying: I read a story about a country, might have been the US, that has a child poverty rate of 47%.
              You see what I'm saying. By telling such stories you put wrong ideas in people's heads.

2. Nathanville profile image92
              Nathanvilleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, as peterstreep surmised, it sounds very like propaganda, political spin, fake news and or misinformation etc. that you've been reading; all to common in American right-wing publications, who love bashing the EU; and also made worse by Russia (KGB) taking advantage of the current situation with their campaign of misinformation on Social Media, in their attempt to weaken the Industrialised Nations in the Western World; focusing on the UK (seen by them as being a weak nation because of Brexit) and seizing the Trade Wars between the USA and the (EU & China), particular the USA Trade War with China as a weakness to be exploited in their campaign of misinformation.

6. IslandBites profile image88

So, we're going to be under a stricter lockdown for two extra weeks. From March 31 to April 12, the curfew will start from 7pm to 5am. Sundays all supermarkets will be closed. Only cars with plates ending in even numbers could transit on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Cars with plates ending in odd numbers will transit on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

That is pretty strict. At least it sounds like you'll be able to get the needed grocery trips done and what not. No one should be going to the store everyday anyway. I went to local superstore yesterday for the first time in about ten days. There weren't many people there at all, though I think some of that was due to people lining up in the morning to get things like meat and tp. Some things completely out...like ice cream and bread, but there was still plenty of other food.

Yes, we have people lining up too. We decided to order online and pick up the order. We want the less exposure possible. Here you can't find TP, napkins, disinfectant wipes or spray (nothing Lysol or Clorox for that matter), no rubbing alcohol, no sanitizer, cough syrup, etc. Some other things have been hard to get, like rice.

But we're glad the lockdown was extended and hope it helps.

7. IslandBites profile image88

Lockdown 28 days in.

Today is the first day I'm sad we're under lockdown. This is going to be my kiddos first Easter with us. I don't have the usual things to make it special.sad  So I made some crappy construction paper eggs for them to find. LOL The only candies I have are some gummies, so that will be Easter this year. That, and a special breakfast Im planning. I already baked some banana nut muffins (with pancake mix because we don't have flour big_smile )

A week ago (when I didn't even have pancake mix) I experimented in the kitchen and made a gluten free cake made with rice. lol It was great. I also did some candied orange peels for the cake for the first time.

So yeah, I've been busy in the kitchen. hmm

Oh, today the lockdown and curfew was extended until May 3. Again, good news for us.

1. GA Anderson profile image87
      GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What a timely comment. Here in Maryland we aren't on "lockdown," just cautionary stay-at-home and essential travel only advisories.

I cheated, (with mask and sanitizer), and ventured out to the Dollar store and got some plastic eggs and candies to hide for my great-nephews to find around the house. No Easter baskets or church services—just an in-house Easter egg hunt.

We have raised them as surrogate grandkids for six years now, and they loved the egg hunt.

GA

Aww. That's nice! We should try to make things feel as normal as possible for the kids. It is a lot of stress and fear for them. It is good that you protected yourself.

Supermarkets and drugstores are open here (well, not this weekend), but we decided from the first day we were not going to risk it. So we order groceries online (every two weeks)  and hubby just go out to pick them.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You old softy! Glad you enjoy your kinfolk, Gus. My daughter had her 50th birthday today, and even though she lives on the same farm as I, I couldn't see her in person because she's a registered nurse and heavily involved in the virus situation.

It affects us all in some manner...

That's sad. Im sorry. sad I hope this ends soon.

Say thank you to your daughter in our name. I wish her all the best!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Thanks IB, she and my granddaughter-in-law in Atlanta--also a nurse--are almost working themselves too hard these days, but know the importance of their jobs.

8. IslandBites profile image88

Outside after almost two months!

We were on the road for a couple hours while my dad used a trimmer to tackle the jungle that was my lawn.big_smile  (Im allergic so I have to leave the house every time.)

https://hubstatic.com/14972689.jpg
    https://hubstatic.com/14972665_f1024.jpg

It felt good to be out for a while. A really pretty day.

1. profile image0

Glad you could get out for awhile. It must feel spectacular !

Yes! Even though we were in a car. LOL We didn't want to break any rules. But just the change of scenery was awesome. big_smile The kiddos were happy too. We were in front of the beach for a while, so feeling the breeze was nice.

Thank you!

2. wilderness profile image95

Ohhh!  That's mean!  I've been out in a car, on the way for groceries, but to even see a beach, and park in front of it!

(I did take a walk in the park, but the wind was howling - not an ocean breeze - and it began to rain.  Made it back to the car and the 1/2 mile home before getting soaked, but that's the best I could do.)

Sorry!! big_smile But seriously, that's a bummer!

I've been at home all the time. My husband is the one that goes pick the groceries. But just that. No park, no going for a walk in the neighborhood. So it was great.

We even "visited" my brother-in-law and my mom and sisters.

(Btw, that "beach" is a couple minutes walking from my parents. It is a surfers spot. There's usually a lot of people parked there enjoying the view and breeze or surfing. But today it was empty. Just for us. We stayed in the car, though. The kiddos just quickly stretched their legs and back to the car.

1. MizBejabbers profile image86

You were fortunate. About a month ago just as other states were shutting down, we went for a walk at the Big Dam Bridge park at the Arkansas River. There weren't as many people as usual there, and they were all keeping the 6 ft. distance from each other, or at least trying to. However, the river was up and part of the river trail was flooded, so our favorite trail was closed. I did walk the dam bridge a little way, but it was too windy and coo. We came home and haven't gone back because we've had so few sunny days.
          Our governor hasn't issued stay-at-home orders for Arkansas, but with restaurants and city parks closed, and some of the state parks have closed highly populated areas, we've been quite willing to stay at home. (Sorry, I realize the previous sentence is quite discombobulated, but so is my head right now.) The Governor says he's ready to reopen the state, but I think it is too soon since nobody knows anything about the reinfection rate. But he's a Trump supporter, so he'll follow whatever Trump says and leave the citizens to face the consequences. As for my husband and me, we will stay home until this thing blows over.

I hope you can go back soon (when is safe)!

I get what you're saying. I agree that is too soon.
            Yes, stay home. It is better to wait.

Here we're still under lockdown and curfew. And I hope it gets extended. We're going to be home even if it's not. But as long as there's a lockdown, my husband would be working from home. So we hope he can continue to do so. But the company (big international company) is pressuring the government to let them open. Ugh.

2. profile image0

I am so fortunate to live in a small town in a rural area of a beautiful state that is not overly crowded. It is easy to enjoy nature while still maintaining social distance. Our state, county, and city parks are closed but one can take a drive and find places to walk and be in nature.

Where are you, PP?  I grew up in LaGrande (NE corner, between Pendleton and Baker City).  My sister and mother are still there and I visit almost monthly.  Can't now, of course, as even if I were willing to ignore the stay at home (I'm not) mom is 95 and ailing - the virus would kill her in days if not hours.  Got a sister in Portland and a brother in Depoe Bay, too, and would surely love to visit there.  Brother lives right on the beach; walk down his back door steps and you're in sand.

But I wish I could visit LaGrande.  Five minutes and you're out of town, in the woods.  You can walk there from my sister's home on the edge of town.  Beautiful country.

1. profile image0

I live in a town just south of Roseburg in the Umpqua Basin. We're about an hour from the coast. This is a little spot we found on our drive a few days ago. Took a BLM road that was headed for Cottage Grove but turned around when we hit snow at the very top of the mountain.

https://hubstatic.com/14973085_f1024.jpg

I'm  not very familiar with LaGrande but love Depoe Bay. Nothing beats the rugged beauty of the Oregon coast.

That is a beautiful picture! When I hike in the mountains I wonder why I live in the flat-lands now. I was born in Walla Walla, not too far from La Grande where Wilderness grew up. My mom's family is from there. I made it back there to Milton Freewater Oregon a few years ago, where my grandma lived her whole life until moving south recently to live with one of my aunts. She's 88 now and staying at home in SC.

LOL  As a teen I worked a gas station in LaGrande.  Had an "Easterner" come through once - he had passed through Wallula and Walla Walla and needed directions to Wallowa.  To hear him say that broke me up, and I've never forgotten it! lol

Never cared for Walla Walla - too hot, muggy and flat.  Of course, that's in comparison to LaGrande (in a tiny mountain valley) and in the mind of a kid.

2. IslandBites profile image88

That's pretty. <3

3. wilderness profile image95

Love the coastal range, but don't think I'd get along with the rain.  There are negatives that come with the lush, rain forest type of vegetation; makes for a great visit (if you miss the rain) but wouldn't want to live there.  I remember my grandmother hanging clothes on the line to dry in a gentle drizzle; she had to because it always rained.

As a kid we made several trips to Cape Lookout, then followed highway 101 along the coast to Disney Land, camping all the way down and back up.  Good times!

A couple of years ago we made a trip to Depoe Bay and then up the coast into Washington, camping in an RV.  Swung by Cape Lookout just to look - my how things have changed since the 50's.

1. profile image0

Yes, I would have a hard time living on the Oregon coast due to too many gray, rainy days. Where we live is sometimes referred to as  the Banana Belt of Oregon because we get less rain than the more northern valleys. Thu past week, for example, has been sunny and in the mid-60s with no rain to speak of.

9. IslandBites profile image88

I don't think I could live on the mountains. Im a coast girl. lol

That beach was my "back yard" for my whole life until I married.
    https://hubstatic.com/14973888.jpg

Lived a couple of years in an urban area but we're back to my beautiful town. My husband grew up in a big busy city and love it here.

https://hubstatic.com/14973894.jpg

Our river

1. profile image0

Puerto Rico is lovely. My husband and I stopped in San Juan on our cruise last October and put it on our list of places we want to return to and stay for at least a week. We were taken on a walking/eating/drinking tour of old San Juan by an amazing lady, 80-plus years old and outwalking all of us in the heat and humidity.

Yes, it is. <3 I hope you can comeback. There are great places outside SJ too.

She must be some lady! lol It is pretty but is not easy, a lot of walking and sweating.

https://hubstatic.com/14974164.jpg

A photo of El Morro (VSJ)  I shot a long time ago.

2. GA Anderson profile image87

That beach and blue water bring back memories of my Navy years.

GA

I've never been to Puerto Rico, but would love to go. It turned out that one of my best buds from the military and while getting my Mater's Degree were Puerto Ricans. I think I'd like the environment and the people...just not the tropical storms. Palm trees where they are supposed to be are much better than palms in the dessert.

1. GA Anderson profile image87

The blue color of the water is unforgettable for someone that has only seen the U.S.-bordering oceans. Especially when you see it from a beach.

GA

And is different (but just as pretty) depending on the coast of the Island. Also, Vieques and Culebra have gorgeous beaches. If any of you come to visit, be sure to check Flamenco Beach in Culebra, PR.

Yes. The wife and I certainly get that idea just from watching documentaries and such. I think we can make it within the next five years. Let's just get that COVID vaccine first huh.

2. wilderness profile image95

"Palm trees where they are supposed to be are much better than palms in the dessert."

On our recent trip to Hawaii we walked through cactus gardens - big ones - in several locations.  Amazed, I had no idea you could grow a cactus in a tropical setting.

Nature adapts, I guess, with a little help.  Or maybe I'm just not horticulturist enough - I have the original black thumb and couldn't grow a dandelion plant unless it's in the lawn where I don't want it.

Yes, it is shocking even for many in the Tropics. lol

Here in PR there are 13 types of cactus and three of them are endemic.

Wow. I wouldn't think of cactus in Hawaii either. My wife is the greenest thumb around. She's about to see if she can grow various mushrooms in a stump from an a half dead tree we just had cut down in a place that a few have told her it won't happen. I never bet against her with growing anything though.

We just happened upon some great windows for a greenhouse, and I have the spot all cleared out to build it. If I get it done this summer, I'll get some pics up here, lol. We are hopefully expanding our produce, landscaping, and gardening tool business into something more than just a bit of side cash.

Our project, during the stay-at-home, was the kitchen.  Pulled all the cabinet doors, drawers and hardware and refinished everything.  A major job with 48 drawers and doors!

Then new paint on ceiling and walls.

Then refinished the countertops.  Would have loved granite but it isn't in the budget, so bought a countertop refinishing kit and looks like granite.  Just now finishing that, and looks like we'll be happy with it.

Next comes a new tile backsplash behind the counters.  Planned for next week, after the countertops are good and dry.  We'll have a whole new kitchen!

Oh wow..yeah that will keep you busy. That's a whole lot of cabinets. Anything looking like granite will be sharp I'm sure. I put in a new tub a couple weeks ago also..have the green board up, just need to put up the surround material the wife chose. Never worked with it before so I keep finding other things to do, lol. We bought a big old home--1902--very cheap mortgage but gotta do the upkeep. I'm learning.

LOL  I ripped out a small shower surround and base, replacing with a new base and all ceramic tile a few weeks ago.  Replaced the plumbing as well.  Did your job - replacing a tub in the other bathroom - last year.  As you say, something totally new to me - I've never done ceramic tile.

This is our first house that wasn't fairly new.  It was built in 1972 and, just as you say, requires some maintenance.  I've finished off basements and the like before, but never had any real maintenance to do.  Put a new roof on, replaced the well pump and pressure tank, but new flooring in everywhere, etc.  I'm learning, too!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Tile is fairly easy to lay, Dan. My counter tops are cobalt blue tile I laid over 35 years ago, with the entire backsplash being the same except for picturesque blue and white Dutch tile scenes inlaid occasionally.

Since my wife had collected a lot of Blue Willow china and other similar kitchen items, it added a bit of contrast.

Today you can buy a tile saw very cheap....and the results are very pleasing.

hard sunposted 3 years agoin reply to this

1972 is old enough to be needing a lot of repairs. A new roof sounds like a lot of work for sure. We've redone the living room floor here (sanded/poly) but have a couple rooms to go.

Got the green-board done and surround up and new/thicker lattice around the porch to keep the critters out! The surround was easier than tile--I helped my brother do some tile for the backsplash in mom's kitchen a few months ago. It's just an unroll and glue down type of thing. And been working more than usual. My job did a 360 about the time those stimulus checks went out and now they are begging us to work overtime!. My back is killing me from sitting 8 hours a day and then running to do what I can the rest of the day. Haven't even clicked on the hubpages bookmark in 10 days. I need a bit of a breather. Took my oldest boy fishing at the river across the street last night. We've had some nice weather.

3. IslandBites profile image88

You should come! You'd like it here.

But yes, there's always a downside.

Flamenco Beach will be at the top of our list!...just searched up some pics.

Check out this hub, you'll need to add some spots to your list. big_smile

https://hubpages.com/travel/Discovering … estination

10. IslandBites profile image88

The kiddos getting some fun and vitamin D. big_smile

https://hubstatic.com/14973985_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/14973986.jpg

Now that brings back pleasant memories, of both kids and later on grandkids.

11. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

Today my dad was tackling the backyard. big_smile

Road trip no. 2

Old SJ for GA and PP

(Not particularly good, we didn't stopped.)

https://hubstatic.com/14984136_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/14984135_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/14984141_f1024.jpg

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Loved old San Juan! So glad you enjoyed another outing. Do you get stir crazy?

Here is a  pic of Old San Juan I took from our ship as we were leaving last October.

So many good memories. :-)

https://hubstatic.com/14984363.jpg

IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! The first month was easy... Now not so much. Plus it is really hot... and the kiddos have been wild the last days. I'm going crazy! LOL

That pic is awesome. <3

2. GA Anderson profile image87
      GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Old San Juan was where I spent most of my 'Liberty' time, (remember it was a navy ship visit), and your photos weren't the old San Juan I saw. ;-)

Plus, as I was thinking about it, my visit was in the 70s, probably before you were born.

GA

Haha, I know, you told me about the "happy" place you found. big_smile

I was there and remembered both of you mentioned Old SJ so I took a couple pics.

But yes, I'm sure it was different then. 70s? Maybe, maybe not. I978.

12. IslandBites profile image88

So yesterday, day I-have-no-idea of the lockdown, the Island decided to shake us a bit with a 5.4 earthquake.

Everybody inside their homes... So, that was fun. NOT!

The south of the Island was affected.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/05/02/USAT/423fde30-13a9-4a0e-9783-f06706ec796e-AP_Puerto_Rico_Earthquake_1.JPG?width=660&amp;height=441&amp;fit=crop&amp;format=pjpg&amp;auto=webp
    https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/05/02/USAT/d685c5d2-11c2-4f0b-86b8-719b2782f765-AP_Puerto_Rico_Earthquake_3.JPG?width=660&amp;height=441&amp;fit=crop&amp;format=pjpg&amp;auto=webp

13. IslandBites profile image88

Still under (a more flexible) lockdown.

Today we adopted our cuties from our home via Skype. LOL

I would've never imagine that would be our adoption story.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

One of my maternal cousins indicated that since South Carolina reopened, there was a marked increase in COVID-19.  She stated that people aren't socially distancing & congregating in crowds.   New York City is still under moderate lockdown, although some stores are reopened, it is curbside pick up only.  All of us are mandated to wear masks.

Yes. COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are surging in many states.

2. Nathanville profile image92
      Nathanvilleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Likewise, we are still under (a more flexible) lockdown in the UK.

Easing the lockdown didn’t start in the UK until Mid-May, and have been slowly eased as follows:-

•    Mid-May:  ‘Garden Centre’s were added to the list of ‘Essential Services’ e.g. allowed to open for the first time since the lockdown in March; provided they follow strict rules.

•    1st June some schools were allowed to re-open, voluntarily; provided they restrict class size to 50% capacity.  Some of those schools decided they will not open until September, and some parents decided not to send their children back to school just yet.

•    From 15th June, non-essential ‘Retail Shops’ now allowed to open; provided they follow strict rules.

•    From the 4th July, pubs and Restaurants will be allowed to re-open at reduced capacity e.g. must observe strict 2m (6ft 6 inches) distance between all customers.

•    But no indication of when nightclubs will be allowed to open.

Also:  All air travellers to the UK, regardless to whether they are British citizens coming back from another country, or foreigners visiting the UK, must quarantine for 14 days; failing to do so can attract a £1,000 ($1,200) fine.

The Good News is that both New Cases and Daily Deaths in the UK are still steadily reducing (downward trend) by the week; the downward trend has been consistent since it reached the peak on 14th April.

1. Readmikenow profile image93
        Readmikenowposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I confess to having an addiction to watching mystery television shows from Britain.

Some of my favorites are slowly resuming production.  I enjoy everything from "Death in Paradise" to "Vera" to "Shetland" to "Prime Suspect" to "Father Brown Mysteries" to "DCI Banks" to "Line of Duty" and others.

How can anyone be expected to survive a pandemic without new episodes of British mystery shows?  smile

1. Nathanville profile image92

My favourite mystery television show is the “Murdoch Mysteries”.

1. Readmikenow profile image93
            Readmikenowposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I watch that as well.  Fascinating how you get to see how they solved crimes in the early 1900s.  Interesting...I think it is a Canadian show.  One of my real favorite mysteries now is "Unforgotten."

I suppose were a bit off topic of the thread.  Oh, well...sometimes it's good to talk about other things.

1. Nathanville profile image92

Yes it is a Canadian Production (mostly filmed in Canada), so you can imagine our surprise and delight when Episode 1 of Season 3 was filmed in Bristol (where I live).  Lots of back alleys and side roads around the city centre ideally suited for a late Victorian setting; nevertheless, quite surreal seeing streets I often walk appearing on one of the Murdoch Mysteries episodes.

Fan club summary of the Bristol episode:  https://murdochmysteries.fandom.com/wik … h_Identity

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)