New HubPages Subdomain and Platform Consolidation

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (380 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image83
    samanthacubbisonposted 3 years ago

Hello Community,

In conjunction with our Network Site improvements, we are migrating hubpages.com content to our new frontend platform. As we continue to roll out upgrades, we’ve introduced the notion of a subdomain: discover.hubpages.com. The new discover.hubpages.com will host all content that meets our established minimum traffic threshold and all newly published content that does not move to a niche site like DenGarden, Bellatory, or PairedLife.

The creation of discover.hubpages.com allows our team to roll out upgrades and new features readily. Currently, hubpages.com hosts around 518,000 articles compared to our roughly 83,000 premium articles on our Network Sites. Most of the 518k articles (about 450k) will stay on hubpages.com on the old frontend platform so that we can roll out improvements to the new frontend more rapidly.

Few changes will be observed by authors, but it is important to note two things:

- All discover.hubpages.com content will be monetized, whereas hubpages.com content will not be monetized (these articles receive little to no traffic monthly).

- For authors with content on hubpages.com, this restructuring offers additional incentive to further refine, update, and improve your content and submit it to one of our Network Sites.

As planned, discover.hubpages.com is set to go live midweek next week. We will follow up with a forum announcement and newsletter at that time.

Thanks for tuning in!

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Samantha. I think this move will inspire many to edit and improve otherwise stranded articles, beached on HP.com, which must be a positive.  Newbies take note!

I do also think that, for more established writers here who have contributed much over the years, there could be a fast-track route to the niche sites to help build up momentum ongoing? Is this too much of an ask or a bad idea?

samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I would say it's a bad idea. From my experience, even the most senior Hubber sometimes submits something that is not evergreen, something that has already been covered extensively on the site, or something that has grammar/punctuation/white space errors (it happens to the best of us). So it's important that every article gets the same treatment and time with our mods/editors.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Given these new policies and author-UNfriendly trends, I sadly suspect that Maven bought Hub Pages solely to DESTROY IT FOR A TAX WRITE-OFF!

This move is truly abominable and discouraging to writers; it eliminates any motivation to write new pieces.

The large video ads above even the titles of the articles are a huge turn-off for readers, and will no doubt severely impact authors' earnings. Removing the ability to comment is likewise a bad move.  Comments often drive Google views.

It seems every new move that is made, every change implemented, is designed to reduce or remove earnings potential from authors.  If it is not deliberate, then that is surely the side effect. 

Your authors, your money-makers are not happy.  Perhaps you should reconsider your hard-nosed approach, and take a better look at the bottom line.

Unless these changes are reversed, HP is doomed for certain.

1. OldRoses profile image92
        OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Liz, I'm surprised at your negativity.  You have been on HP long enough to see major changes made, predictions of doom, and then HP flourishing after.  My traffic and earnings have continued to climb through all of the changes made through the years.

1. profile image0
          Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, we can't use history to judge the current situation.  I went through all those major changes and predictions of doom too.  However then, HubPages was owned by its founder, Paul Edmondson.  It was his baby and he fought relentlessly to keep it afloat, because he owed it to his investors and his authors.

HubPages is now owned by a big, impersonal company.  They care about HubPages only insofar as it makes them money.  If it doesn't, it's toast.

I'm very pleased to hear the new changes are working well for you. I'm sure they will be very positive for some, but there will be casualties.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Old Roses: Those changes were different--they were HP's alone. 

What has happened now has nothing to do with HP as we knew it:  it's been bought out by another entity, and they are making changes that do not bode well for HP's continuance.

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
            chef-de-jourposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I know what I shall be doing over the next few weeks, despite all the recent changes and uncertainty - writing fresh articles. This is what I've always done no matter the potential upset, be it Google updates, market swings, niche site innovation, financial crisis and so on and so forth. This Maven takeover and subsequent migration has been bumpy no doubt but I'm going ahead with what I hope will be profitable writing.

1. sallybea profile image94
              sallybeaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree, just grateful I don't have to do all the background work.

2. DonnaCSmith profile image83
        DonnaCSmithposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I was dismayed when I checked on one of my best hubs to see so many ads one can hardly find the article. Too much of a good thing I am afraid. Also, had folks reach out to me b/c they couldn't comment on the article. I hope that will be fixed.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image95
          Sustainable Sueposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Me too. Every other paragraph is an ad now. And they follow you as you scroll down, e.g. I saw the same ad four times when I looked through my parrot article just now. Not  only that, but there's this really annoying popup ad that won't let you read the article until you look at it, then click the x to close it.

This is going too far. I appreciate the income that comes from ads, but I really do want people to read my articles. Otherwise why spend so much writing them? Plus I can't use them as a reference anymore—the massive number of ads cheapens them.

1. Maren Morgan M-T profile image88
            Maren Morgan M-Tposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

2. Jodah profile image92
            Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Our articles are penalised or edited if they contain “spammy elements” which can even be an Amazon capsule or link to a product we can’t prove we used (even if it is relevant to the text.) But all these excessive ads don’t count as spammy, even when the same one is repeated three or four times throughout the article? Come on.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Exactly...and multiple ads?  All irrelevant to the article?? How is that not spam???!!!

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
                Venkatachari Mposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very aptly said. I agree with both of you, John and DzyMsLizzy.

2. bravewarrior profile image87
              bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

3. Maren Morgan M-T profile image88

Agree.

3. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image95
        Deb Vesco Robertsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree about the huge videos. They detract from the images in our articles and are beyond annoying. I was making hundreds before all these changes and now I make about $20 a month. I fail to see how this has been an improvement?

3. justthemessenger profile image84
      justthemessengerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This question is somewhat off topic. I'm just curious:
      How did one of my niche site hubs end up on the " news break " app?

1. bravewarrior profile image87

Has it been plagiarized? Are you attributed as the author?

1. justthemessenger profile image84

Hi, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I get credit and in fact it provides a link directly to the article. But the way it's written on the app it distorts a chart included in the article so as to make it difficult to read. I don't mind the ideal someone may have shared it. However, I didn't think people shared on this type of platform.

justthemessenger, sharing and copy/pasting your material are two different things. Once someone copies your article and posts it online, that's plagiarism. A fellow hubber did that with one of my poems and emailed me after the fact (with the link that attributed the poem to me) to ask me if it was okay. I politely asked her to take it down because she had actually copied the poem and pasted it elsewhere.

When you share a link, that's okay. If you post the verbiage, that's not okay, even if the poster/sharer mentions you as author and provides a link to the original. There's no need to post the verbiage when you provide the link. Why would anyone need to go to the original article when the words are right there staring them in the face?

Fine line. Link is okay. Copy is not.

1. justthemessenger profile image84

Thank you for the explanation.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
              Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree and it makes sense. Copying the other fellows article whether offline or online is pure plagiarism.                                        People and thieves should realized that the original authors' work has inflick some nerve wrecking effect on the author mind and body.                                   For  example, when an article is not featured for the first time, the steps taken to correct things can still be hard. Why then deprive author's of a little or some enjoyment?

4. EricFarmer8x profile image95
      EricFarmer8xposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I feel pretty indifferent about this whole thing. I know this issue affects more than just me, but personally, this change means little or nothing for me.

All of my hubs are on a network/niche topic domain. I made it a goal of mine to get things to this point. I am almost exclusively writing about video games now, and LevelSkip works for me.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
        FatFreddysCatposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is pretty much where I'm at. Most of my stuff gets vacuumed up to Spinditty shortly after publication, so I'm content to keep on keepin' on, and let the bean counters do whatever voodoo dat dey do behind the scenes.

5. jackclee lm profile image80
      jackclee lmposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, this sounds like consolidation and if it doesn't work, then what's next?
      Maven has not been good for Hubpages. The reduced revenue sharing in recent month is just one example of failed policies.
      If Maven wants the Hubbers to go away, this is the way forward.
      I never cared for the revenues since it never amounted to to much which I always donated to a charity. Now, it just make sense to forget the revenue all together. The niche sites are doing a little better but not much by my limited experience. I only have about 30 articles in the niche sites anyway.
      Maven needs to find a way to reach profitability. It has been 3 years and not much progress has been made. The stock price is in the toilet last I checked it was 65 cents a share. Pennystock territory.

6. jackclee lm profile image80

Well, it is about time...
      When HubPages was bought out by Maven, the parent company, the hope was to have synergy between the two.
      In the past three years, I have not seen any effort at that.
      Maven has struggled as a public traded company ever since. Latest stock price is hovering at $0.66 per share.
      I think it is high time for some changes in the company at the executive level and on the board.
      It is all about performance and we are not a charity.
      We cannot operate at a loss year after year and dwindling payouts to support a failed business model.
      As much as I like publishing here on HubPages, I think something needs to change and fast if they are to survive.
      IMHO.
      BTW, it is also about branding. Most people get what HubPages is about, a self publishing platform...but most people, I am willing to bet, do not know what Mavn is or what it is about...??? That is a huge problem.

1. jackclee lm profile image80

https://hubstatic.com/15276705_f1024.jpg

2. profile image0

Branding is not the problem. You say "most people get what HubPages is about", but that's not true. Writers know what it's about, but HubPages always had very poor brand recognition by the general public.  It didn't matter, because the business model didn't require it.

The business model relied (and still does) on Google for its audience, and Google has hated HubPages.com since 2011, classifying it as a content farm. That's why the niche sites were created, and they succeed only because Google classifies them as separate, independent sites, not connected to HubPages. So it has been in HubPages' interest to downplay its branding, and it has done so.

Maven's branding doesn't help us either.  All Maven really does is offer a platform for websites, with an advertising model built-in. Most of the sites they support are not even owned by Maven. If someone does recognize the name "Maven", it's most likely due to all the bad publicity about their mishandling of Sports Illustrated!

Maven bought HubPages because it doubled the size of their audience overnight, which helped them impress investors and get more finance. 
        The current integration is part of their efforts to slash costs, because they needed to impress the financiers again to get a new round of funding.

And by the way, it's extremely common for internet companies to operate at a loss for many years. Just look at Facebook or Uber.  HubPages came close to breaking just once, in 2011, but then Google Panda happened and it never came close again.

Marisa, you're so right. There's a lot of bad press about the previous and current owner of Maven. And, frankly, that does concern me.

can anyone here explain Maven's business model?

2. jackclee lm profile image80

I am not sure the niche sites were a success.
          If they were, wouldn't Maven be in better financial position?
          As for operating in the loss, yes, many startup went years without making a profit. Amazon was a great example where they did not show a profit for the first 20 years. However, the difference is it made money and were just plowing the profits back and investing heavily on technology which paid off after 20 years...
          This is not the case with Maven. Maven needs to get out of the google dependency. I never understood why Squidoo, and later Hubpages were ranked so high by google. It was a fluke how they were able to undercut the google algorithm to get high page ranking.

jacklee, it's hard to tell if the niche sites are a success. All I know is my revenue has increased since HP moved their own niche sites, which I loved, to Maven's platform, of which I'm not very fond.

Time will tell. None of us know what's to become of HP now that Maven has absorbed it. I'm not very confident of the future, given the bad press surrounding the person who now governs Maven. He has a sordid past that began when he was publisher and CEO of The Los Angeles Times, which is an actual newspaper. I won't post a link here, but as a writer, I'm sure you know how to research. Google Maven.com CEO and I'm sure you'll find something.

I see what you mean. Ross Levinsohn has a poor record as CEO...why is he getting this gig?
              I hope he has better luck running Maven.

2. Jodah profile image92

I am glad your earning have increased Shauna. Unfortunately mine has dropped by a third in the last three months to what it was the three before.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
                TessSchlesingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Doing a comparison using very similar articles - my hp has dropped substantially, and my Medium is now outperforming my hp. While some of my hp articles are still ranking on google, the ones that are similar are ranking higher.

In fairness, when I did the rewrite, I did improve the articles when I posted them on Medium, so it's possible that if I had improved them on hp, they would have ranked higher than they are now.

Difficult to tell.

2. profile image0

Jacklee, I am comparing the performance of the niche sites with the performance of the main site.   We don't know which niche sites are profitable but we do know that all the niche sites perform much better than the main site. That's what I mean by "success".

The high ranking of Squidoo and HubPages was never a fluke, it was a carefully calculated business strategy to exploit the algorithm.  It worked very well until Google launched the Panda update.

" It worked very well until Google launched the Panda update."

Panda was somewhere between 8 or 10 years ago. Can't remember.

Has SEO ever worked as well since?

1. profile image0

SEO has worked very well since.  SEO just means optimising for what search engines want. After Panda, Google wanted different things.  If you catered to those things, you could do very well. 

The problem for HubPages was that after Panda, Google wanted specialization, unless you were a shop.   Generalist sites were anathema.   That is why the niche sites were created, but they have never been a complete solution, because most of them are not specialized enough.

Ah, thank you. smile

So why does Medium work? They have a very high ranking compared to hubpages, and they definitely don't specialize.

I'm really surprised at the amount of traffic I'm getting from Google there.

7. jackclee lm profile image80

I am not a fan of the discovery... it is confusing and adds another level of complexity for no good reason.
      If this keeps up, I will switch to medium.
      HubPages has taken the fun out of publishing, for me personally.
      I like to see some transparency in how this company is being run. 
      Where are the profits?
      If google is making money, and we have so many views of our articles, why are we losing money?

Jackclee, if you go to Medium you lose the rights to your own work. The copyrights belong to Medium, not the writers. At least here, you own your work.

I am OK with that. I don't publish to make money per se.
          I just want to get my ideas and opinion out there.
          I have helped many people with my articles and that is all I want out of being a writer.

2. Eric Caunca profile image95
          Eric Cauncaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea about "Medium". What it is? Thanks.

1. Eric Caunca profile image95

The link you gave has a different description of "Medium" from different disciplines. Which "medium" are you referring to on the thread? Is it a website, a term at Hubpages, a channel of Hubpages...? What it is? I'm sorry, I am just new at HP. I'm still at the learning stage. That's why I'm asking it. I'm still not familiar with how to use the HP. There is some information that I only discovered this week. Thank you :-)

It's a content website for writers. It also has a far higher ranking than HP. It is, however, different.

There is a bit of a learning curve (but then there is with HP as well).  Just Google Medium website, and you should get it.

Medium pays writers according to the number of reads they get. It is not paid for through advertising. It costs $50 per year to join. I made that back in my first two months. And it's been climbing ever since.

There is no check by editors, so you can write whatever you like. You won't, however, get distributed (curated) if you don't follow formatting and other rules. You eventually build followers.

Hi, thank you, Tess :-). Is it a content writing website or just a website to share our creation? How do authors earn at Medium? Does your traffic at Hubpages increase multiple times since you join it? Thank you.

I've been on hubpages twice. The first time I joined I was getting 10,000 views a day within two months, and my payments went from $300 to $600 before I left.

The second time I joined, I didn't write for a year (transferred from Squidoo). My earnings went up on Hubpages shortly before Hubpages joined  Maven, but after about 3 months on Maven, they went down again, and now I'm lucky if I get paid out every second month.

Medium has become a sort of glorified blog site. It works because the site syndicates its space to publications like The Atlantic, Barack Obama, and other famous people and publications. So a lot of readers come there. Depending on what you read, it has between 60 and 100 million unique readers per month.

If you go there, you will read a lot of success gurus who tell you they added 10,000 followers in a month and made $1000 in their first month and now they earn $8000 per month. It's also perfectly true that some people (very rare) take home $25,000 per month.

95% of people earn under $100 per month, including myself. That said, I'm focusing on writing ebooks, and I'm not fully focused on Medium. Also, it's not what it used to be.

Writing there is a helluve lot easier than writing on Medium because there is no oversight telling you what you can and can not do. However, you won't get selected for distribution if you don't follow the rules. You'll still get picked up by Google, however, if Google likes you.

You earn by people reading you. There is an algorithm that parses how you read down the page. So it can tell whether content is being read or not. You get paid according to how much people read.  So it's really not possible to game the system.

Once your work has been curated (distributed), it keeps being distributed. However, even if your work is not curated, it presents your followers your latest articles, plus articles you've written in the past which they haven't read.

My traffic at hubpages is about the lowest it has been for a long time. Something interesting did happen. I took an article from hubpages, write a new title, and wrote about half the same and about half different. Then I liked the title better on Medium and I came back to Hubpages and changed the title to that. I didn't, however change the article.

What happened next astounded me. I earned $90 in the next few weeks on Hubpages - probably because someone couldn't get behind the paywall on Medium and thought the article was the same on Hubpages. It wasn't, and that embarrassed me. But it shows you how powerful that was.

Hope that helps.

Google medium.com and you will see that it is an onlie writing platform. Thanks.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61

I don't know where you got that idea. It's simply not true.

Perhaps you should read the TOS.

https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us/articl … of-Service

QUOTE: Rights and Ownership
          You retain your rights to any content you submit, post or display on or through the Services..

QUOTE; Medium reserves the right to delete or disable content alleged to be infringing the intellectual property rights of others, and to terminate accounts of repeat infringers. We respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement if they comply with the law; please report such notices using our Copyright Policy.

Thanks for clearing that up, Tess. I was reading an article about Medium.com. Apparently, the author was misinformed.

I think the author probably didn't understand that the licence allowed Medium to distribute the work - not hold copyright.

2. eugbug profile image96
            eugbugposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Tessa, can you remove content from the site if you want to? Sometimes sites say you retain copyright, but then they won't let you delete the content, e.g. Wikihow.

Absolutely. You have complete control at all times. I've deleted stories. It's no different to hubpages like that. You type up your story, but you don't have to wait for acceptance, and it's published. You can edit it at anytime, and you can remove it at anytime - even if it is a publication. You just remove it from thepublication,a nd then you delete it.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

If you check with Alexa, it's because Hubpages rank has fallen a lot.

That said, I'm basically very confused because my same articles are ranking in the top three, but I'm getting about a third less traffic than I used to. That just doesn't make sense to me.

8. Natalie Frank profile image91
      Natalie Frankposted 3 years agoin reply to this

So even if the articles are getting some traffic we don't get paid for it?  This means that all ads will be removed?

9. Ladymermaid profile image83
      Ladymermaidposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Are they still in the process of moving articles to Discover?  If eligible articles are already moved will we be able to see at a glance which articles are NOT eligible for the new site so we know which ones need to be reworked?

1. profile image0

The transfer of existing articles is complete. It was done automatically by an algorithm.

1. Ladymermaid profile image83

Thank you.

Well, that would explain it. I was trying to figure out why some pieces were moved but others weren't. They had the same or a similar number of views. I'm just going to delete everything that wasn't moved.

Ladymermaid, on your account page, choose the filter for Hubpages and you'll see which articles are lingering behind.

Thank you that will help a lot.

You're welcome.

bravewarriorposted 3 years ago

Samantha, will discover.hubpages.com also have the leading video, ads throughout the page, and no means to comment?

Shauna,

Yes, it will look the same for now.

Please clarify. Will it look the same as the other Maven niche sites? Or will it look like HP does now?

It will look like the other niche sites. So the comments and ads will be the same.

1. JR Cuevas profile image95
            JR Cuevasposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi, does it mean that when I published an article, it'll remain on HubPages until featured, and up to the HubPages team if they're going to put it on Discover HubPages or one of the niche sites? And If we see our article on Discover HubPages, does it automatically mean they've rejected it for one of the niche sites? Thank you.

When you publish an article it goes directly to Discover. It will be assessed by our editors after that if it meets the criteria. The process is the same as it was, but content goes to Discover rather than HubPages.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 3 years ago

What is the minimum traffic threshold?

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. samanthacubbison profile image83

Will,

We evaluated content based on candidacy. Here we evaluated view data, revenue, and overall quality—with an emphasis on quality. The combination of these factors determined what is getting moved to discover.hubpages.com and what is not. To state a specific parameter would be difficult to capture as it's complex. We recommend that authors invest efforts in improving their content and resubmit it to our niche sites for evaluation.

I find the "stock answer" from editors' emails stating your hub article didn't make it to a niche pretty useless. And, therefore it is insulting to the author. If an editor made a decision based on a list of 6 or 7 criteria, at least put a check mark in front of the boilerplate item which was pertinent. Why be so secretive?

That's a great idea, Maren. How can we improve if we don't know which areas need it?

+++++ Yes what is it, so that we can update or remove or try something new. Thanks.

1. Marie Flint profile image72
        Marie Flintposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This was answered in a previous post. The answer by staff was +1. I assume this means for the month, as payouts are figured monthly.

Hi Marie. I was asking the editors to identify which of the writing-style defects (these are not numbers) they determined are present in an article when they reject moving it into a specialty site. Their stock rejection email gives a bland text paragraph of writing sins. Obviously, they found one or more upon which they made their evaluation to deny boosting. I ask that they share this with the author. Could you please explain to me what that "+1" means? Is it number of hits per day? I've never heard of it. Thanks.

The +1 refers to number of views. When you call up your statistics, you can get an idea of how many visits occurred to any specific article over various periods of time. I assume that if you have at least one view in the 30-day column and the work is already featured, the article will go automatically transfer to Discover HubPages. This hasn't been explained clearly by the staff, however.

As far as style, HP once told me they prefer American Psychological Association (APA) style, commonly used in research writing. Quality, as I understand it, depends on mechanics (spelling and grammar), organization, relevance of content (something readers will seek), and appearance (no unnecessary italics, bolds, underscores, asterisks, etc.). After that, the article's score goes up or down depending on actual traffic flow.

I've helped a number of writers with specific suggestions on all these quality goals. Some of them implement the suggestions; others not. I am neither part of the HP team, nor do I charge anything when I do this. I have found, however, that when the changes are made, the struggling author gets the article featured.

I hope I've answered your question.

I have a sense of in which of the above I am strong or weak, however, I'd like to hear the editors' judgment. They obviously know.

2. Maren Morgan M-T profile image88

Thanks for the explanation of the +1. Editors, can you please confirm? Is it one view per month or per week or per day?

1. Will Apse profile image88
                Will Apseposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The +1 is a red herring. That was someone +1-ing (if such a term exists) my original enquiry as a kind of "I would like to know too".

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … ost4160326

It was not a ref to any traffic numbers

1. EricFarmer8x profile image95

1+ is internet slang for I agree with this statement. Some might even say it means I agree and I don't have anything to say.

2. Will Apse profile image88

This is the answer I got when I enquired about the traffic threshold:

Will,

We evaluated content based on candidacy. Here we evaluated view data, revenue, and overall quality—with an emphasis on quality. The combination of these factors determined what is getting moved to discover.hubpages.com and what is not. To state a specific parameter would be difficult to capture as it's complex. We recommend that authors invest efforts in improving their content and resubmit it to our niche sites for evaluation.

Well, that was clear as mud. Haha.

Yes.

@FatFreddysCat: Yep! If the editors are aware of what "complex" parameters apply, surely they can verbalize what those are, right? Can? Or won't?!

Agree.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Yes--I once had a music instructor who was fond of saying, "I can't means I won't."

3. EricFarmer8x profile image95

My guess is what they are saying is they will consider hubs based on views, ad impressions, and maybe even the read time.

I guess they don't want to state something specific so they can change the requirements as needed.

I don't mind their changing from time to time. I do think that the authors deserve specific feedback, since they obviously apply specific parameters and know what areas are strong or weak.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Double-speak à  la 1984, the novel.

Sounds like politicians' answers to questions:  a lot of words to say nothing truly informative or an actual direct answer to the query.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image93
          Shesabutterflyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Now that Discover is live and I can see what articles have been moved it is still not clear what the standards are for moving. If the emphasis was on total quality, then my article distribution between the two sites should look different than they do right now. However even if traffic was the emphasis that still does not make sense as they have moved some of my articles that have recieved zero views all year and left others that have at least 5.

I have one that was moved that has seen 4 views in 30 days (0 for the year according to GA), but only has 72 views total and it was created in 2013. 72 views in 7yrs is not good. There is no reason that article should have been moved in my opinion. It has a low word count and should really have updated photos.

Another one was moved that has zero views for the last 30 days (GA shows 7 views on the year) and only has 116 total views for the last 7yrs.

Total traffic clearly was not a big part of the decision making. I would say quality was not a huge emphasis either as they left most of my higher traffic articles and some that are almost niche site ready per those niche site editors.

It would be nice to know what matters, because from what I see on my page it was completely arbitrary. I can guess why two were left behind (likely need sources), but the others I am at a loss. They are of equal quality if not better than the ones that were picked to move. I say that because several low word articles with spelling errors moved while other long word articles with no spelling errors that I could immediately see were left behind.

1. Jodah profile image92

I am at a total loss to figure it out. Like you, some I would have expected moved were not, while others with little views or none in 30 days and lower quality were moved to discover.hp.

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 3 years ago

Sounds like a great plan!

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Will we likely see a decrease in monthly payout if low performing articles (that don't meet that minimum traffic threshold) are left on hp.com?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is a good question. I wonder whether this is the same thing as being featured and unfeatured. Articles were and probably still are unfeatured for not having sufficient traffic. If that is how it is, then the amount of traffic is literally nil per month and therefore should not affect income.

An answer to Wills' question and yours would clear this up.

1. eugbug profile image96

At one time some of my articles used to get unfeatured regularly because of low traffic. Now they never seem to. So either the minimum threshold is very low or they haven't bothered checking them. One for instance has only got 60 views since 2013 and 2 views since the start of 2019 up until now.

2. profile image0

That depends whether your Hubs end up on the "discover" site or not.  Right now, you may have Hubs that are earning a few pennies each on HubPages.com.  If they stay on HubPages.com, they will now earn nothing.  You're going to lose those pennies, which will mount up if you have a lot of them.

Marisa,

Here’s an example regarding low-performing content that stays on hubpages.com and why the traffic/earnings for such content might be considered trivial: Our rev-share model requires authors to accrue $50 for payout, so it takes a lot of single-cent earnings to reach payout. For example, if you earn 1 cent per day, that’s +/- 30 cents in a month, and $3.60 in a year. It would take you just under 14 years to reach payout at $50.00.

3. samanthacubbison profile image83

Janis,

Low-performing content that will remain on hubpages.com is not accruing significant traffic or revenue; you can evaluate how this would impact you individually by reviewing your daily or monthly totals on hubpages.com content. We are encouraging authors to reevaluate their low-performing content and bring it up to Network Site standards and resubmit it to our premium sites.

Thanks, Sam.

2. sallybea profile image94

I have started doing that to good effect but it is a shame that one can only submit a new one every 21 days.  This really slows the process.  Might this be something which staff can reconsider? Thank you.

1. JR Cuevas profile image95

I agree, can HubPages at least allow 3-7 days gap for the submission of new articles?

6. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 3 years ago

Is there any plan to allow us to submit an article to a network site more often than once every two weeks?

1. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF
      Larry Slawsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope so.  Current system (submitting once every two weeks) is very frustrating, to say the least.

1. AliciaC profile image94
        AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My concern is that articles will be left on HubPages with no chance to earn even a small amount of money and we'll have a very limited ability to get them off the site.

1. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF
          Larry Slawsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed.  I'm concerned about that as well.

Alicia,

Any content that remains on hubpages.com had negligible traffic or earnings. All new content will live on discover.hubpages.com moving forward. So authors have the opportunity to improve their work to have it moved to the new domain or to a Network Site.

We are considering the submission allowances, but the submission pacing also has to do a lot with workflow and not flooding editor queues.

Samantha, what's going to happen to hubpages.com if all new articles will be moved to discover.hubpages.com? Will HP eventually become extinct?

Good question!

2. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image95

Will we need to request our hubpages content be moved to the new discover site or will it happen automatically? Most of mine are on network sites already, so is there anything I need to do? And when will people be able to comment on our articles again? It's been forever.

No, it will happen automatically. And if it is on a network site, it will not be affected by the change.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

My articles usually are moved to a niche site within a week or two after publishing. Under this new plan, will new articles reside on discover.hubpages.com until an editor curates it for a niche site, or will it be on hubpages.com with no ads?

Glenn,

Yes, under this new plan, new articles will reside on discover.hubpages.com until an editor curates it.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Samantha, for confirming that and for clarifying all the other questions in this thread.

Sure thing! Hope you are well.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Doing fine. Thanks. Hope you've been well too.

8. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 3 years ago

I have another concern. Samantha says that new articles that aren’t accepted for niche sites will be moved to the discover site. That implies that any of our articles that are moved there are also considered to be unsuitable for a niche site. Will we have an opportunity to update them and then submit them to a niche site, as we do on the current HubPages site, or must they stay on the discover site?

I will be getting back to all of you tomorrow. Thank you for all the questions so far. Logging off!

Alicia,

Yes, the same rules apply—any articles that aren’t accepted on a niche site will live on discover.hubpages.com. Yes, any articles that move here are considered unsuitable for a niche site from a quality perspective. You always have an opportunity to update them and submit them to a niche site.

9. Sustainable Sue profile image95
    Sustainable Sueposted 3 years ago

Oh dread! My articles are high quality—though some are old—but readership has gone way down since they've moved to Maven sites (i.e. with the new format). I'm currently writing my first book, so don't have time to go back and upgrade those many that need it . . . but I need the income. What to do?

Sue,

If your articles are already on Network Sites, then there is no need to fret. Even if they are not, they can still be moved to the new discover domain.

10. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 3 years ago

Will this mean articles that currently have high rankings in search engines will take a hit since they are moved to a new domain? I have one about How To Increase Your Zillow Zestimate that is #1 in Google and gets a lot of traffic. I hope Maven/HubPages in their wisdom don't ruin rankings like this by changing the domain.

What about all the links we have back to articles on other sites such as pictures on Pinterest? I guess we lose them as the articles are migrated to the new domain. This may not be good.

1. profile image0

Do you have any articles on HubPages.com which have high rankings in search engines?

The niche sites contain 15% of all Hubs, but the last time I saw stats, they provided 80% of HubPages' income. That means the 85% of Hubs still on the main site are providing very little income at all, so I would be surprised to hear that any of them are ranking highly anywhere. 

P.S.  I notice that your "Zillow Zestimate" Hub is already on a niche site, so I'm not sure why you referred to that Hub.  Each niche site is an independent, standalone domain and won't be affected in the slightest by this change.

1. Rock_nj profile image91
        Rock_njposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good questions. I guess I need to look into which articles of mine are on niche sites.

I am concerned about existing links to my articles on other sites like Pinterest. I get some decent traffic from those links.

Usually when there's a change of URL for an article, a reader will just be redirected to it. That's what's happened in the past, for instance when our accounts changed to subdomains.

John,

No, especially because the article you have mentioned is on a Network Site, and not hubpages.com.

11. Kenna McHugh profile image90
    Kenna McHughposted 3 years ago

Samantha, it would be helpful if you had a flow chart based on a new article. I am not sure how a new article gets to discover. You submit the article to a niche and it gets approved. It stays. You submit it to a niche and it doesn't get approved. The article goes to discover? If it does well there, it stays? If not, it's sent to hub for no money. The writer works on it and resubmits to niche..is it a constant cycle until the article lands in a niche or discover?

Yes. Where are the answers to all these excellent Qs?

2. justthemessenger profile image84

A flowchart, a visual graphic to explain things is a good ideal.

Agree.

I also agree to this!

3. samanthacubbison profile image83

Kenna,

The regular QAP process:

1. Your articles show up in our queues if they pass the QAP process in the same way as before.

2. If we don’t take your new or submitted article, it will live on discover.hubpages.com and be monetized.

Submission process:

1. If you submit an article to a niche site and it does not get accepted, it goes to discover.hubpages.com.

2. You can resubmit it if it’s performing well, but it likely got rejected the first time due to quality issues. We suggest you make substantial improvements before resubmitting the article.

Any content that remains on hubpages.com had negligible traffic or earnings. All new content will live on discover.hubpages.com moving forward.

You've done a good job answering all these questions, some still come to mind though:

Once a hub has been updated it immediately moves to discover? So an update is all it takes?

All new hubs and updated hubs (depends on the answer to the above question) to discover. Would they if they underperform be moved back to hubpages after a few months? If not, the discover subdomain would end up becoming the same as hubpages.com since all new hubs are automatically moved there as long as they pass QAP.

An updated hub does not necessarily move to Discover. It has to move through our moderation and editing in the same way content always has. All new articles automatically move to Discover. Articles do not move back to HubPages once they've moved to Discover.

I hope that helps.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93

So they will be exactly the same. One will just be on the Maven platform.

If you are keeping the bulk of the low quality original articles on HP's site, is it the staff's hope discover.hp will be able to have better ranking (thus better earnings) despite it still being a content farm?

I'm assuming a new site was created to get rid of the bulk of poor performing articles (otherwise it seems like moving HP would have been easier). However, if no articles are moving back to HP, discover will eventually look just like the original site with time. Not all new articles are moved to the niches or are of high quality.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Thanks for the clarification.

"Articles do not move back to HubPages once they've moved to Discover."
            This means that all hubs being moved are screened for quality, so even if they get 0 traffic for 2 years they will continue to stay on discover and not be featured (moved back to HP) because they are of high enough quality and it is unlikely that Google sees it as spam?

I believe so.

Ok, interesting. I meant to say de-featured. Autocorrect may have got me or I probably just missed it lol.

Those articles are already still featured on HP. I have plenty that should be unfeatured due to traffic. Their requirements must be pretty low.

It is not hard to pass the QAP and even some of the niches contain questionable content. I don't see how Discover is going to be any different than the HP site is now.

It will have less content to begin with, but it won't take long for it to look identical to what HP looks like now.

The spammy content from ages ago will be gone, but it was not just that type of content that was getting HP in trouble with Google.

Yeah, these were the questions that I had in mind. In my opinion, the goal here is not to give the "lower-quality' articles a better chance by creating a new sub-domain, but instead, the idea is to create a new sub-domain so that the template from Maven can be used on this new address so that the ad backend, etc. is integrated across the board.

Ads not being shown on the HP articles literally means that ads won't be supported on the old design any more.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93

That was my thought as well, but if that was the case wouldn't moving the current HP site be easier?

I have very little tech knowledge so maybe making a new page is just as easy. I'm assuming they need the current HP though if they wanted to keep the forums and the ability to create new content.

It's unclear if we would be creating new articles on the actual Discover site or if they would simply get moved there after being created here, but I understood it as the articles would move like they do for the niche sites.

Hopefully that means they are close to fixing all the issues and the articles that are written on HP's home network will soon transfer seamlessly to the Maven platform no matter which site they fall on.

Edit to add: I don't actually know what front-end means but I saw that term and sub-domain used to refer to the new Discover site so I was confused on if this site would still be used in any capacity (beyond storing low quality content) or not.

The frontend is everything that is displayed on a website, the backend is the code, etc. Whatever we see is the frontend.

From what I've understood, HP will be the place where we write our articles, edit them, etc. They then get moved to discover and from there they would move to the niche sites if they are worthy of the move.

Making a new subdomain is like creating a new website, it is essentially like starting out with an empty folder on your computer and would be easier than changing the current HP site to match that of the niche sites considering that they have the forums, the author profile pages, etc here on the main HubPages domain which we do not want to change, at least not right now.

12. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 3 years ago

Will our new articles go to discover.hubpages so we get monetized automatically or does the work have to be superior like when it goes to LetterPile or other Niche sites?

When we first submit our work...then we will not get any credit for readers who comment in the beginning??
    Will comments section be available on the discover.hubpages site?

Brenda,

Yes, they will go to discover by default.

I'm not sure I understand the second question. Comments will not be available yet. We are still working on it!

1. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image95

how much longer before people can write comments or ask questions on any of our articles? Network or otherwise? Timeframe for that? May I ask why that feature was taken away to begin with? Thank you.

I'm not sure, but I keep asking. The new front-end platform didn't come with the same comments feature built-in, so we have to do it from scratch.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

In that case, I see HubPages can modify it's plantform, e.g. Discover.hubpages to create a commennt feature for the author- readers relation.                                                                          Comments, like the Q&A potentially drive traffic likewise. And I don't see any reason why it should gone with the wind?!

13. divacratus profile image88
    divacratusposted 3 years ago

Thanks, Samantha. Lots of questions. Will wait and see how this pans out.

14. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Sooooo, lemme see if I got this straight:

The new "discover.hubpages.com" will essentially be a "waiting room" for newly written or freshly updated pieces. If they get moved up to niche sites, yay for them.

If they don't and they get bumped back to plain old hubpages.com, you might as well unpublish them, cuz they will get no traffic, no attention, and earn no money.

They will essentially be banished to "the land of wind and ghosts" (Simpsons reference)...

Does that sound about right?

That's the I understand it, too, FatFreddysCat. And where do we create our articles? Will is still be on the original HubPages site? If so, how long after we hit "publish" will they be moved to discover.hubpages.com? And the big question is: Will comments be enabled? Or will each article stand alone with no communication to keep it breathing?

You create articles in the same way on hubpages.com. They will also be moved in the same time frame as before. No, comments will not be enabled (yet).

1. Jodah profile image92

Well if all new articles will go straight to discover.hubpages.com that doesn’t allow for comments, I wish they would slow QAP down to say three or four days to enable initial comments from followers. At least until the comments feature is restored.
          I have already heard talk from long-time authors here who are planning to leave because of the changes and not being able to give and receive comments. That is sad. It is why they write here in preference to sites like Medium. I hope they “are” restored before that happens.

1. profile image0

When I returned to HubPages, I was surprised (and saddened) to see how quiet the forums had become. 

Imagine my surprise when, thanks to the "no comments' situation, I discovered that the social life of HubPages had moved to the Comments sections of people's Hubs!   So I can understand why this change is going to be very upsetting for many.

1. Jodah profile image92

Even before you left their was more social contact in the comments then their was here on the forums, you just weren’t aware of it because unless you were part of that community and weren’t following and reading those hubs you would have no idea.

Although forum used to be more active, there have always been a large group that didn’t like their experience when they visited the forums and preferred to communicate elsewhere...via comments. This has been the case ever since I joined HubPages 12 years ago.

Even billybuc (Bill Holland) who has been voted best all round hubber about six times in the hubby awards, has thousands of articles, and whose hubs each attract hundreds of comments, never visits the forums.

Any content that remains on hubpages.com had negligible traffic or earnings. All new content will live on discover.hubpages.com moving forward. No new content will be bumped back.

OK, gotcha. Sounds like the "Land of wind and ghosts" reference still applies, though. big_smile

I'd rather not call it that, lol. smile

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Absolutely.

15. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 3 years ago

It will eventually come to getting ones hubs at least to be uploaded or shifted to discover.HP thing and if that does not happen then it is bad time for those left out ones.

16. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Based on experiences, the writer will have to be super proactive to get the editors or system to notice an article for either a niche site or discover.

New articles will automatically be moved to discover, and articles that currently sit on hubpages.com will also be automatically moved once they meet the threshold. The process has not changed from the editor's side at all.

That is clear and understanding. Much thanks, SamarthaCubbison.

2. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That would be true for rewritten ones, Kenna. When I write a brand new article, I don't submit it to a niche site. It's automatically picked up in three or four days and moved over. That way the two-week wait period only applies to rewritten articles.

17. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

It sounds to me as though this is the old Featured/Unfeatured system, made more concrete.  I think that's a good idea, because it always surprised me how many Hubbers weren't aware of their Hubs' status, and therefore weren't doing enough to make their Hubs visible. This system makes the difference blatant, so Hubbers are more likely to understand it and do something about it.

18. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 3 years ago

Ahhh. So Hubpages.com becomes the in-process creator site, discover.HP is the completed site, and the niche sites are the high quality accepted sites. Interesting. Does that imply that Hubpages.com will be streamlining the creation process—adding new writers tools, taking off little used ones, and focusing more on helping us write great articles?

19. Solaras profile image97
    Solarasposted 3 years ago

Since it's all about me lol, I have a question about a recently approved article.  It was QAP approved this week, but appears to reside on the old Hubpages domain.  I have submitted it to a niche domain, and await a response for the Editors team for Pethelpful. Should I be seeing it on the Discover.HP domain, or is that for future articles?

We have not launched discover yet (next Wednesday)! Give me the name of your article and I'll see where it is in the queue.

20. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Samantha, That's helpful! Thank you!

21. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

(ala Frankenstein monster)

CHANGE BAAAAAD! FEAR CHANGE! NO LIKE! ARRRRGH!

22. Jeremy Gill profile image92
    Jeremy Gillposted 3 years ago

Thanks for all the answers. Why demonetize the old site, even if most traffic is negligible? Does this save on behind-the-scenes costs/resources?

Don't think any de-monetizing is involved.

They seem to be cannibalizing the corpse of hubpages.com and trying to get some revenue from the least unsuccessful pages currently languishing there.

I imagine that once the the new Maven platforms are working, it will take very few staff to keep the niche sites running. Even the new subdomain might make a small profit for Maven, if the overheads are low enough.

As long as we get our cut, it's fine by me.

Glad I'm not sifting of the pages. The criteria seem pretty nebulous.

1. profile image0

They have said they will de-monetize the HubPages.com domain, so any articles remaining there will be unable to earn anything.

Thx for the info. Looks like like they are dragging the rotting whale carcass out to sea as a prelude to blowing it up.

2. Maren Morgan M-T profile image88

Yes, I second this question.

23. Kenna McHugh profile image90

How long does it take for changes to monetize on Google? I am curious if these changes will adversely affect our revenue for a period before the supposed improvements take notice.

24. Brenda Arledge profile image81

Samantha,
    Can they fix the niche sites so when I read someone's work I can tap on the author's name to find their profile?
    I like to read more and maybe start following them but can not access their profile.

You can click on the author's name on any article and it will bring you to their profile.

25. Brenda Arledge profile image81

That used to work, but  now it just takes you to a little info about author.
    Can not get to hubpage profile to follow.   
    It does list a link for like twiiter or Facebook and a few pieces of his work...but no access to hubpages from niche site.

Yes, it goes to their Maven profile for that specific site. You can look up their profile on hubpages.com.

Actually, the HP profile we created is what has been carried over to all the niche sites. When I click on my name in Dengarden, for instance, the verbiage that appears on my HP profile is what comes up. There are no accolades shown, and no way to follow other than on social media (yuck!), but the original profile is there across the board.

2. profile image0

That's deliberate, and it's a good thing for those who wish to earn from their articles.  HubPages.com is a bad neighborhood in Google's eyes - that's why the niche sites were created, to escape Google's penalty on the main site.   It's better for the niche sites if they're not connected in any way.

26. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 3 years ago

I'm sorry, but this plain sounds a little scary to me. I've always written for HubPages and don't try writing for niche sites. I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy stuck in the mud. I've seen a couple articles by others on Maven and don't like the appearance.

Now I'm told my articles on HubPages will no longer be monetized, not that that's my sole reason for writing. (I still regret having missed the original, paid HubPages Writing Tutorial Program.)

I feel I'm going to have to download my articles and find some other outlet for writing. I'll watch, though, and try to keep an open mind. Any new startup, however, takes time to take hold. It probably won't catch on right away.

It is not a guarantee that your articles will remain on hubpages, and any new articles you write will go directly to the new discover platform.

27. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 3 years ago

Well Folks, right now Maven is making money but they are doing it in the old-fashioned conglomerate way of buying other companies and tearing them apart so they can then sell the pieces (say sites) for a profit. Eventually they get fat and someone buys them. I believe that right now Maven is a fast hungry fish and we will all be able to ride along; that is until they get too fat themselves.
    Just a thought!
    DON

28. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Marie, I am thinking the same thing. Move the HP articles over to my website, set up a separate section. At least Google will give me some money, eventually, if not more.

Thank you, Kenna. It's high time I started my own website.

29. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Marie, You're welcome!

30. Renz Lemuel profile image83
    Renz Lemuelposted 3 years ago

Thank you for the thread. We newbies need to see this stuff.

Old members like me need to learn or note the development.                                                   Thanks every one.

31. Eric Caunca profile image95
    Eric Cauncaposted 3 years ago

Thank you, Glenn Stok for telling me about this thread.

Hi Samantha.
    1. Do articles that have been moved to discover.hp.com rank the same as the niche sites or niche sites still ranks higher than them?
    2. All of my articles that have been moved to the d.hp.com are missing on the statistics page. I can't see how many views I got from them. I can see them on the profile page but not on the statistics page.
    3. I've published a new article, like the "no.2", I cannot find it on the statistics page, so, I have no idea if it has been rejected or accepted. Only articles from the Niche Sites are visible.

Yup. I've noticed that some of my articles have been moved there as well. There is no record of it on my statistics page and there is no way for me to delete the articles. I've actually lost control of them.

32. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

You can still edit and delete the articles on Discover, just as you could on HubPages.

Use the filter to select "Discover HubPages', click on "author view" and you'll find all the options are still available to you.

33. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 3 years ago

I just found a good heap of my articles on discover.hubpages.com. I also tried to delete them but had no access to them.

I appear to have lost complete control of my articles as they are no longer on my analytics.

This is not acceptable.

Please advise.

1. profile image0

There is a bug on the statistics page which means the Discover Hubs don't show until you select "Discover HubPages" in the Filter menu.  It has been reported.

++++ And where do you click on Discover Hubpages?

Just click the filter and choose the select the sites, then Discover HP. On top of the statistics, you can see them.
          https://hubstatic.com/15274832.jpg

Thank you. I found it. I feel better. For a moment there, I thought I had lost control of my work. Thank you.

how do you get to the dropdown selection box (URL?)

34. tajwershakir profile image64
    tajwershakirposted 3 years ago

Marisa i can't find my hubs at statistics and don't know how to find them? What's going on? Hubpages need to update the tutorial to use their new domain. That's not fair I just posted a hub last night and now there's no way to find out about the traffic to that one?

35. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 3 years ago

Hurray! My articles on discover.hubpages.com have already garnered one million views!

There were some strong performers down there in the HPit!

And I got 43 views today! Who knows where all this could lead!

36. Brenda Arledge profile image81

Let's hope this leads somewhere magnificent.

37. WordPlay profile image85
    WordPlayposted 3 years ago

I'm happy to report that so far my earnings have gone up since the changeover to Discover.Hubpages.com, in spite of some of my hubs being left behind on the old site. The increase might be because we're getting closer to the holidays and I have some holiday hubs. Or it could be that the shift was overall better for my mix of hubs. Either way, my HubPages income didn't go down because of it. I was holding my breath. I'm delighted that I can stop worrying.

I must admit, my earnings are up this month from last. And I still have 103 articles sitting on the dormant HP site. That's encouraging and is helping to ease the tremendous stress I've felt this week.

1. WordPlay profile image85
        WordPlayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yay! I'm happy for you.

I was not happy when they insisted I use their Adsense account instead of mine a while back. But they said I would probably earn more. And they were right, I do. They obviously know what they're doing.

There's always a silver lining in the dark cloud. I think all of us, including me, need to have faith in that.

Speaking of AdSense, I received an email from Google Analytics to reinstate my account (I had another one for a website I no longer own, for which I had Google ads activated.) My HP GA account is active and working. My question is this: are we allowed to activate Google Ads? My thought is no, because we are contributors to the HP/Maven sites and they already have them installed.

Can anyone confirm? Samantha?

1. WordPlay profile image85
            WordPlayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean to activate AdSense for another site that has nothing to do with Hubpages properties? If so, then yes. I have it activated on a number of blogs and I'm also participating in the HubPages AdSense program at the same time.

WordPlay, I thing Google is referring to the website I took down when I went back into the workforce full-time. I think it's a no-no to activate Google Ads on the HP/Maven sites, because we are not technically the owners.

Can anyone in authority confirm my interpretation?

1. profile image0

It's simply not possible to activate your own Google ads on the HP/Maven sites.

That's what I thought. Thanks, Marisa.

38. Eric Caunca profile image95

Hi, did you experience this? I did not submit it to Niche Sites, but the editor emails me that I submitted it to Exemplore. I do not prioritize this article to submit to NS, because it does not gain traffic.

https://hubstatic.com/15277073.jpg

1. profile image0

This is what is supposed to happen.   If you write an article tht is good enough quality to be moved to a niche site, you will be offered that opportunity.

This should be your goal for all your articles, because they will not make any money on HubPages and they won't make much money on Discover.   The niche sites are where the income is.

Thank you Marissa. Would I wait another 15 days if I submitted it to the NS? They told me to add references then resubmit it in NS.

39. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 3 years ago

I've been off of hubpages for a while so I'm trying to figure all of this new stuff.  I've noticd about a doze of my articles on regular hubpages.  My understanding is that they won't get anymore views and are essentially now hidden from sight.  I've begun editing them to transfer to a different platform and will delete each as I go.  There seem to be a lot of changes I'm not familiar with, which is my own fault.  Hope all are well.

Good to see you Natalie.  Are you moving them to your own site?  I am well, hope you are too:)

1. Natalie Frank profile image91

I'm moving some to Medium and some to other platforms.  Good to see you too!

Yup.

2. janshares profile image94

Hi Natalie, good to see you. All is well, hope same for you.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91

Hey Jan - good to hear from you!

40. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 3 years ago

May I suggest where the comments are concerned, maybe allow people to read and comment while the article is still on Hubpages, for say, 2 weeks, then move it to the sites that have no comments? That way they get a boost, people can interact and then we can move onto the next article.

That is a great idea. I like the compromise approach. Hope HubPages staff is listening...

Neil, it's a good suggestion. But I am affraid HubPages will not consent to that, where it conflicts with its marven policy agreement.

3. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It won't work because all new articles are automatically shunted to Discover.Hubpages, which essentially is a non-niche niche site.

Only old, dead non-earners are on the old HubPages.

That is by design and can be changed, no?

1. theraggededge profile image97

No smile They only just implemented it.

Latest news on new investment into Maven, $24 million...

https://maven.io/company/press/maven-ra … tO-yDz5EdA

4. samanthacubbison profile image83

Unfortunately, that would disrupt our current workflow and automated processes—we just don't have the resources to change these things. But it is a good suggestion. Comments will be back!

Happy for the last sentence. Thank you, SamarthaCubbison.

5. bravewarrior profile image87

Nell, we can still comment by way of our feed. Waiting two weeks to move our articles delays any earnings we may see.

6. Jodah profile image92

I actually agree with this, well if not two weeks, at least a week. Most comments are usually received by then. The trouble I have is not everyone’s articles I follow appear on my feed so for some like Bill Holland and Eric Dierker I have had to comment via email, which isn’t really convenient.

1. profile image0

Samantha has replied to say it's not possible.

1. Jodah profile image92

I know...I read. I still agree with it.

1. Jodah profile image92

It is funny how many things HubPages find impossible to do. But anyway, at least restoring comments hasn’t been said to be that yet.

John, I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for in my feed, too. I spend so (too) much time going thru my feed and get discouraged. It doesn't help that I'm very far behind in my reading. We really need comments to come back. But our latest newsletter didn't give encouraging information. The cursory mention of returning comments didn't quite coincide with what we've been told in the forums.

1. Jodah profile image92

Yes, that the conversation regarding comments is still continuing, or something to that effect.

1. profile image0

..and I have to say, it worries me when Samantha describes the author login button as a "victory", as if they're having to fight for every concession.

I'm sure they are. Maven just raised 24 million. I wonder how much of that will go to enhancing the HP leg of their empire and implementing the changes we writers are requesting.

There's a sign in button now. So what? We don't have to sign in to read and we can't compose from a niche site.  The only reason for a sign in button would to be able to leave a comment.

1. Jodah profile image92

Exactly Shauna.

2. Jodah profile image92

Yes, a very small victory and not all that useful, but I guess it was the easiest thing to achieve and be able to boast about. One small step at a time I guess.

But how many of us were asking for a sign in button on sites that do no good to sign into?????

41. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 3 years ago

Very interesting.

42. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 3 years ago

I have to say I am absolutely horrified at the degree of advertising on Discover Hubpages. This is now like all those other sites that I avoid the moment I land on them because I am really not prepared to struggle through advertising in order to read what I want to read.

That said, my articles seemed to have earned a little bit more in the last week.

I guess I'm deleting or transferring everything that hasn't been transferred to Discovery.

Tess, have you seen the actual niche sites? They all have an annoying video that takes up half the page before you even see the title of the article! At least Discover doesn't have that, but I'm sure it's a lower earning site than Delishably, Dengarden, Letterpile, etc. Discover is kinda the holding cell where your articles sit until (and unless) deemed worthy of the actual niche sites. I think the only way they earn more money is readers accidentally click on the videos and/or ads in trying to delete them so they can read the content of the article.

Nope. I've been too scared to look - although I have read about it on the forums. I haven't been on hubpages much because I've been working on Medium.

Actually, that makes sense. I could not understand why the traffic on my top ranking hubs had fallen. I've rewritten those hubs, more or less similar, on Medium, and they are outranking hubpages. So it's not the content, and it's not that Google isn't ranking those particular topics anymore. It's actually that hubpages is losing a lot of traffic.

I know for a fact that I won't read stuff with ads all over it.

I do, however, recognize the reasoning behind it. There are sites that are picture only that use the same methodology. The problem is that hubpages  caters to readers - not to people who don't read and want pictures.

Not sure how this is going to go.

2. JR Cuevas profile image95

Can you suggest other writing platforms other than Medium?

Depends whether you want to get paid or not. I also write on Quora. I was approached by management to circulate my articles in other magazines - not Quora - but they apparently have a policy never to pay writers.

I also use Smashwords and Amazon.

Otherwise I'm as stuck as everybody else.

Does medium allow inline links? why is there a limit on the number of articles you can publish per day?

Thanks...just exploring medium capabilities, wondering if I should join as paying member $5/ month. What additional features are included?
            How are medium articles found by search engine? like google...
            Are embedded links allowed?

https://hubstatic.com/15283833.jpg

That's the statistics for an article that I didn't in any way promote - not sharing it at all. Nor did Medium curate it. I thought it was dead in the water. Then I noticed I was earning from it, so I looked up the statistics and found I was getting traffic from Google.

thanks for the info...

When I was initially looking into this platform it was my understanding Medium did not pay for any external traffic unless they were a member or become a member to read your content.

Has that changed at all?

No, it doesn't. However, my earnings took a jump.

Here's what I think is happening. NO evidendence, of course, but all my articles that got ranked by Google are now earning whereas they weren't previously.

1. Possibly when google ranks something, Medium has an algorithm that starts distributing that particular article to its readers.

2. Possibly a certain number of people who googled that are already Medium readers.

I didn't know there was a limit. I have published up to four articles a day.  I link to other articles all the time. I don't want to give you my link in case it's thought of as promotion, but when Medium didn't curate my articles, I started putting in affiliate links to my books on Amazon. My sales increased by 200%. So now I'm selling regularly.

Here is message I got today -

https://hubstatic.com/15283923_f1024.jpg

Oh, sorry. I thought you were speaking to me. I'm speaking about Medium - not hubpages.

This is message from medium.
                I triedto publish an article and got this message.
                I since found out the reason.
                It was the platform, on iPad, which is unsupported.
                When I used the Mac desktop, it worked fine.
                It was just a strange error message.

+++ okay. Thought it strange. What's your name on Medium?

Deleted

43. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 years ago

Can a story be written and added to a publication later? Can publications be created without a subscription?

Yes, they can. However, things are published in the order in which you wrote them. So, for instance, if you wrote a story 2 months ago, and then you added it to a publication of your own, then it would go underneath all your other stories which were written afterwards.

Also, it's unlikely if you submit it to someone's else's publication that it will be accepted.

The date on which it is written is important.

Yes, publications can be created without a subscription. I think you can ever be paid without having a subscription. I read that. However, your work will not be curated without a subscription, so that means, even if it is good enough to be curated, it would be chosen for distribution. So it will only go to your followers.

I know there are people out there that can get lots of followers, but my social skills are seriously lacking, so I've only got about 450 followers in about 6 months. That said, I still earn more than I do on hubpages, and I only write about 10 or 12 stories a month.  My stories written before are still circulating, and they still earn.

Everybody is different, of course.

I think I wrote a story a few years ago, but it was rejected because it didn't reach the minimum word count. Is there still a lower limit?

I could not find any 'how to' art or craft related articles.  Do you have a link to a list of categories one can write in and is there a limit to the number of images you can use in an article?

You can write about anything on Medium.

https://medium.com/topics

I don't think there is an image limit.

Thank you, that was very helpful but I can see the limitations for a how to article but perhaps something related to my craft perhaps.

2. profile image0

That's the thing about Medium - it's not really a place for "how to" topics.  Tess does well because many of her Hubs are on subjects that don't historically do well on HubPages, but they are perfect for Medium. 

So, as you've noticed, they have articles on art but they are more about art appreciation, or the challenges of being an artist, not how to paint or draw.

In that sense, it can be a very useful complement to your writing here, but it's not really an alternative.

I think you are right but possibly there are as I sometimes say ' there are more ways to swing a cat'.  I don't think that $5 is a big investment but does it end there?

I've long recouped my investment of $50.

Oh is it $50, thought it wa $5

$5 per month. Worth it.

It is $50 per year membership. A discount of $10, over the month by month membership of $5.

It's $50 for 12 months if you pay a year in advance. That's what I did.

3. sallybea profile image94

I think so too.

I would agree to some extent. But I also think Medium is changing. My articles on Chinese horoscopes are doing well and are already sending traffic.

To be honest, I still can't figure it out.

There isn't a category like that. When I wrote on downsizing a home, it was picked up by lifestyle. So all of that would go under lifestyle. They don't do categories the way hubpages do (hubpages has the advantage there). You could also put it under arts.

Mostly when I write, I put something in as many categories as possible, so, for instance, when I write about an idea, I might put it under innovation (which is good for crafts as well) and government and culture, etc.

The list I posted is quite old, and I don't know what the newer categories are. If you go to 'change tags' type something. If it comes up with a lot of followers (that's the number next to it), then you can bet that's a category. Just keep going until you find it.

Medium, in certain respects, doesn't make it easy.

I think it might be an option worth exploring.  I dislike all the ads, especially the big video on the top of my Tutorials.  It make it a lot harder for someone to follow the process.  I was lucky on HubPages, I requested a felting category when I first started writing as there was no category which fitted my writing.

I've been lucky with somethings that haven't fitted a category. I find that sometimes they are put into categories that I don't even think remotely fit, so I think there is some leeway that they make.

Also, I think that categories are growing. As more and more readers join Medium, and as Google indexes articles that are good but don't particularly have Medium readership, the categories increase.

I am sure you are right.

Plus, you could always start your own craft-based publication. Tess encouraged me to start one for my niche, although I haven't really got into the swing of regular article writing there yet.

I searched for 'medium.com craft' and found a person who has a publication about the practical side of mixed media painting, collage, and associated topics, so you could easily do the same with your niche.

I'm getting a reasonable amount of traffic from my Chinese horoscope on it, and I'm earning!

I've got another article planned in that genre - palmistry.

'Tess encouraged me to start one for my niche', you mean on Medium!  I can see that working.

44. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

If you search for yourself from the computer you normally use you will always come up on the first page. You need to get someone else to do a search.

One doesn't get into predictive search because one searches for oneself. One doesn't get an author panel because one searches for oenself. I'm well aware that if one has a reasonably unique name, one will always come up if one searches for oneself, especially if one doesn't clear out one's cookies, and one is logged in. Feel free to search for me.

And one does not always come up if one searches for oneself. Try searching for names like John Smith, Sam Jones, Anne Du Toit, etc. Because there are millions of people with that name, everybody else will come up but you.

I come up for several reasons.

1. I am the only one with my name on the web.
      2. I've been actively on the web for 26 years.
      3. I'm on goodreads as an author.
      4. I've written a lot of articles since 1999.
      5. I have an author panel waiting to be filled in.
      6. I don't know.

I tried something new on medium today. I took an existing article on HubPages, and created an exact article and published it on Medium.
        It went without any issues. You are right, no checking for duplicates...
        I am curious about the stats. What is the difference between views and reads? The stat in Medium count number of views per article and the number of reads.

Somebody might have clicked on your article because the title caught their eye, but then they moved on. They didn't read it. It's sort of like google saying people landed on your page, but then it bounced - they were only on your page for a second. So, I have no idea why they even bother to tell you what views are. I suppose it does tell you that you had a good title, but something about the articles made people not want to read further.

Somewhere ages ago when I started out someone said that they had a 40% read rate, and the reasons they had such a low read rate was bcause they had google traffic. The guy said that if he didn't get traffic from google, the read rate would be more like 80%. Well, I very, very occasionally get an 80% or a 100% read rate, but it is so rare, it's not worth mentioning. I think the best I can say is that I have a 50% read rate.

thanks for that insight. I guess it makes sense.
            You would think as smart as google is, they could figure out how to stop the false click counts just to make revenue.
            It seems to me, anything that last less than 2 seconds is a pretty sure bet they were not read.
            As you say, they should not even be counted. This simple accounting change could change the behavior of these click farms in Africa.
            I think they are just making too much money to care, IMHO.

I'm not sure I follow you. They're clicking on the article - not the ad. SEM (Search Engine Marketing) works by google providing the ad in appropriate places where it can be clicked. However, if people don't click on them, Google is not paid.

Viewing an article and moving on in a second doesn't get the ad clicked on. It's only when people are on your article for a few minutes that they might click on the ad. The ad isn't paid for for being viewed. It is paid for when it is clicked on.

I know, but I guess I was complaining about a general problem with the net and how revenues are accounted. When you have people hired to click randomly on ads and articles...to drive up traffic and revenue, it seems a simple solution to just ignore those clicks...which are short duration and meaningless. Why wouldn't google try to discourage such behavior? you have to wonder...

That's not why people click away from articles. They click away from articles because they aren't interested in reading them. Google would discount those clicks anyway, and they would ban the person doing that.

In the advertising industry, it's know that the ad has exactly one second to draw people in otherwise they're lost. That's how fast people decide whether they want to read something or not.

Are you saying the clicks are worthless?
                    Google is already discounting clicks that last less than 1 second.
                    If that is the case, I am all for it.

No wonder I keep seeing these articles that have only a sentence of the story and a next button to continue to read it...
                    what a waste of my time, but now I understand why.

testing

45. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 3 years ago

Would spoof art appraisals be welcome on Medium? (If I create the artworks, the names of those involved and the art institutions, fictitious of course)

I have no idea.

This is a list of the categories.

https://medium.com/blogging-guide/mediu … 760f9671e9

46. Eric Caunca profile image95

I have viewed articles from Medium and Owlocation with the same title "Most Beautiful Animals in the World". The Medium rank higher than Owlocation on Google. Medium is number 2, and Owlocation is number 3. The number one is from Brightside, but is not a niche site.

https://hubstatic.com/15291676.jpg

And also, I have viewed an article on Medium entitled "Most Beautiful Fishes in the World." The article is just showcasing photos of the fishes and no description for them. The article is just composed of less than 100 words and not informative, but it's still ranked higher than Hubpages. Why it is rank higher than our site?

Medium has no ads, and 50$ is just paid for the company but not for authors, so how do authors earn on that site?

Google doesn't necessarily rank articles according to quality. Good, comprehensive articles get pushed down the list in SERPs because of the ranking of a whole site. They don't top the list on their own merit alone. I wish there was a rating system where readers could rank sites/pages, but it would be open to gaming.

2. janshares profile image94

I think Medium is ranking higher because it's hot right now. Authors are paid by the number of members who read the articles, from my understanding. Subscribers join, choose a membership package, pay a monthly fee and read each others' work. Payment is calculated by clicks/likes and length of time readers take to read the article. I subscribe but have not yet started a writer's membership. Sometimes I'll read an article but you can only read 3 per month if you haven't paid for a membership.

Medium ranks because of the number of backlinks it has got. Famous people such as Barack Obama have used the platform. Even if he posted one sentence it would have got Medium a lot of links.

++++

2. theraggededge profile image97

Articles are also visible and appear in search engine results. Non-members can read three articles a month, so those random searchers still get to read the piece.

3. janshares profile image94

I think I need to give it a shot. You guys make it sound good and worth it.

It can take a while, and there's a very definite method. If you join, I'd be happy to teach you what works and what doesn't. It has taken me a while to work out.

Also helps to join Ko-fi and to put a CTA at the end to ask. I just earned a few buck by putting a CTA on one of my articles that I then shared on Quora, and I had a good response.

Thank you, Tess. Good info. Will email you when I cut out time to write something.

++++

2. Solaras profile image97
            Solarasposted 3 years agoin reply to this

What is Ko-fi and CTA? Thanks in advance.

I know that CTA is 'call to action. An example would be 'Click here to receive regular updates'. Or, 'Click the following link to get my free course'.

No idea about Ko-fi.

Ko-fi.com

It is gaining traffic quite quickly.

The $50 per year is where the income for writers comes from. You can earn whether you pay that $50 or not. The $50 covers the right to read all the articles.

Medium has 100 million readers per month and about 400,000 writers - some more active than others.

There is a complicated algorithm with regard to payment. Let's say someone is paying $5 per month and reads 5 articles. Then the writers of those articles will be paid $1 each. If, however, the reader reads 50 articles in a month, the writer gets paid 10 cents for the article. The writer also gets paid a commission if someone read their article first and the reader later signs of for Medium.

It ranks higher because Medium is ranked higher by Google than Hubpages is.

Medium does not determine whether your articles or good or bad. You can publish whatever you like. There is no editorial staff to determine whether you get featured or not. Everything is indexed.

What Medium does is Curate. Curating is something like Niche sites on Hupbages.  After the algorithm has decided if your article has the correct formatting, no spelling mistakes, etc. it then goes to the editors. If the editors like what they read, they will then 'curate' your article for distribution. This gives it a much wider distribution. One can also be nomited for top writer in various categories. I have been nomiated a top writer in three categories - government, innovation, and economics.

If one's work is not curated, then only one's followers can read one's articles. I find it difficult to accumulate followers, but others are much more successful than that. Despite that, I still earn more on Medium than Hubpages.

What I find interesting is that my Medium articles that are ranking on Google are now earning more than Medium articles that have been curated or published in Medium's top magazines. Why? I suspect that when Medium members search for data, and my articles come up, they click on it, and then I get paid because they are Medium members. Alternatively, when Medium algorithm notes the increased numbers of readers, even if they are coming from outside Medium, it distributes those articles more widely.

I don't know.

I think that's all you wanted to know.

Hi All - this may be related to the changes. I just got my monthly payments and it is $2.57 SHORT of what was posted on my Balance History page in the first week of November. I had already recorded my expected earnings, so I am livid. Are they retrospectively recalibrating payments?

I have never been short on either Medium or Hubpages. I have always been paid exactly what the figures said I was to be paid.

Can you do a screen shot and show me what you mean? I don't think you were paid short. I think you probably didn't look at the right figures, but I may be wrong.

It's true that they may retrospectively recalibrate payments - I've wondered how they divide people's money up. After all, on day one, how you know if the person was going to read someone else's story or not.

Payment aside, I had forgot the process of making screen shot since I lost my 12 laptop to theft about a year ago.                                 I need a little tutoring again to making screen shots using the computer key board. Much thanks.

Are you talking about payment on Medium or Hubpages?

I can't support myself with a screen shot taken today because they also altered that page. You know how they post your month's earnings around the 6th or 7th? That's when I put the $ amount into my budget spreadsheet for expected payment on the 28th. What is link for support? Thanks.

hubpages

Ok - showing this on my Earnings page. I can't paste a screen shot here - what's going on. Anyway it shows $66.57 for October earnings. I was paid $64.

https://hubstatic.com/15292468.png

If you go to Medium (on a laptop - not a phone), click on Medium Partnership Program.

On the left, you will see the date. Example 1 - 30 th November. If you click on it, you will see all the other months e.g. 1 - 31st October. Next to each is the amount you are owed each month.

2. theraggededge profile image97

Because we are paid a month in arrears. This month we were paid October's earnings (Sept. Amazon).

2. lobobrandon profile image88

You need to look at the previous month's Ad program earnings + Amazon earnings from two months prior to the payment date. If they do not tally, you should contact support.

47. Eric Caunca profile image95

Thank you, everyone. If the articles on Medium are credited to the site and not to the author, how would I know which content is created by Mr. Obama?

https://medium.com/search?q=obama

Search?

Alternatively, if you sign up for various publications that publish him, you can say how frequently you want the publications.

48. Eric Caunca profile image95

The ranking of Medium and Owlocation has been changed.

Owlocation is now rank 2, while Medium rank 3 on Google for the keyword "Most Beautiful Animals in the World".

https://hubstatic.com/15296714.jpg

And for the "Most Beautiful Fishes in the world", it has a big change. The owlocation is now ranked 9th, but its title is, "Most Beautiful Saltwater Fishes in the Philippines". Medium has the exact keyword for its title "Most Beautiful Fish in the World". Before it was #4, now, it has dropped to #21.

Thanks. My Medium still outranks Owlcation. But thanks. I try to keep both current by changing the articles.

Nice to know.

49. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 3 years ago

I just noticed why some of my amazon earnings has decreased...With the conversion to Discover, all the Amazon modules have been removed from these articles.
    I used to get some revenue from people who start out in Hubpages, and clicked on an Amazon link and then subsequently order some items on Amazon...I would receive credit for it...now, this window has closed. I believe many of the niche sites are edited to remove any Amazon modules as well. I could be wrong. I had to add some links back after the editor claim the amazon links ware irrelevant to my article when they clearly are. You have to wonder if they actually read the article?  Anyway, my question is this. What is the point of an Amazon module in HubPages, when you are discouraged from using them?

I get very few sales from the few ads I have on HP. Strangely, enough, I did a rewrite of one with the same affiliate links on HP for Medium. I did 7 sales this month. Usually I do one a month- if that. Rarely will I do 3 in a month.

I just had one of my articles curated - and it had a CTA. So I was wrong in saying they wouldn't curate if there was a CTA.

Good for you...keep up the good works. HubPages better take notice. If this keeps up, they will loose more writers...

I genuinely don't believe they care. With Paul gone, there's just a staff to keep things going. I don't even know who is looking after hubpages. I also genuinely believe it will fold in a few few years.

I might be wrong, but if you look at the figures, etc. that's what I think is going to happen. Too many good writers have left, and one can make more money elsewhere.

Some of the niche sites, though, are still doing well, so maybe I'm wrong.

Paul is still connected to HubPages and oversees a lot of our work. We have a team across Maven (aside from editors/mods) that maintains the site and invests in its future. Overall, HubPages is doing very well (around 35 million visitors on our sites a month) and we've been seeing consistent sign-ups and new articles each day.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thank you Samantha. That is great to know.

2. Solaras profile image97
              Solarasposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Samantha - I thought when did Paul leave???? Good news, and earnings are nice this time of year especially! Kudos to the team.

Paul is super busy, obviously. But even I chat with him on occasion in regards to projects I'm working on.

That's great! I like hearing about everyone's earnings, since it seems to fluctuate so much person to person. There are some interesting trends.

2. profile image0

It sounds as though you may be unaware of the rules around Amazon capsules.

This is an old article that I wrote on my old account, years ago - but the information on Amazon capsules is still the same:

https://discover.hubpages.com/community … ed-to-Know

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)