Hubpage ads

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 22 months ago

I noticed this morning as I was reading some article that I was unable to close out the Hubpage constantly moving ad. I have bern able to click the X and close them out up until now. I find it very distracting to have a moving ad on a page I am reading.

1. Olealea profile image73
      Olealeaposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Maybe you phone is glitching  like i do.  Perhaps you have a faulty computer.  Who knows? I never have problem with  hubpages before

2. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

The ads are awful at the moment. I use an ad-blocker but then I see massive swathes of white space. It doesn't prevent the blasted video from popping up though.

3. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 22 months agoin reply to this

It is so irritating!

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Please write to team@hubpages.com and complain about these awful ads! It just doesn't make sense to annoy the reader and lose your reputation as a bona fide business in the process.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image91
        Kenna McHughposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I agree. Email the staff! I look forward to the day we can look back and refer to these god-awful ads as a farce!!

5. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 22 months agoin reply to this

We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Pamela99posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for working on a fix. We would all appreciate a few simple changes with the advertisements.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96

Matt, you seem to be the HP team member who frequents the forum most often - thank you for the swift action on this ads fix - so I wonder if the question of ads placement can be raised with you? As you probably are aware there's a lot of concern among the writers here about the ads interrupting the text, causing irritation for the reader, reflected in lower viewing figures and impressions and subsequently earnings.

I wonder if this is an issue for you there at HP? It'd be great to get some feedback and insights into the ads regime, monitoring of stats and earnings and plans for the future.

As a veteran writer here at HP, having gone through so much over the years, I'm still keen to add fresh material and continue earning. Many top quality writers are voicing concern though and are reluctant to create. I must say frustration does arise when I think about the ads placements and how much, potentially, with some tweaks and uninterrupted text, HP could be gaining in revenue.

All the best to you and the team.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image70
    Miebakagh57posted 22 months ago

Hubpages ads are always giving readers one headache or the other.                                                    I found this scenario very awful.

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

Hi Pamela. I have noticed the same...the x is gone. All you can do is pause it but not get rid of it.

4. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 22 months ago

...and what is with some of these ads? Maybe I get the very best because I choose to write about politics. But nothing goes more hand in hand like toe fungus ads and 'you may not want to look at these pics' teasers. :l

5. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 22 months ago

I got the survey the other day, you know the one we get periodically when logging in? I gave two stars (have always given top marks before) and left feedback stating my unhappiness with the ads and negative reader experience.

6. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 22 months ago

I just clicked on one of my American nostalgia articles on my smartphone. Besides the despicable video at the top, I counted over 25 ads, most of them repetitive. To make matters worse, many of these ads were inserted in the middle of bulleted or numbered lists.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96

If we writers email team@hubpages.com and voice our concerns about ads placement then at least HP will know how we feel. Perhaps nothing will change but at least we can say we made a peaceful protest, which is our right. Seems to me that uninterrupted text and a clear, clean read through for the reader has to be top priority. Keep the ads but place them either side of the text.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
        Miebakagh57posted 22 months agoin reply to this

It's great. But how do we team up and go about doing this?

We email team@hubpages.com and voice our concerns about the ads issue. I think HP needs a review of their page design for niche sites asap.

Okay. Individually or corporately? Or both? Thanks.

1. theraggededge profile image95
              theraggededgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

As you can only send an email from a single account, it means individually.

The team effort is here on the forums.

Many thanks.

2. Pamela99 profile image90

I do not understand why they do that. Putting an ad in the middle of a bulleted list is unacceptable. Many of us have complained about the ads, but nothing has changed. Quite frustrating!

7. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 22 months ago

I just posted this email to team@hubpages.com:
    https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … ost4248702

Over the years, HubPages' mergers/growth has become a corporation that feeds the bosses and not the workers.
    You rely on hopeful newbies to stuff your sites with content. Veterans like me are leaving in drones.
    It just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Sorry
    Juliette Kando / user name: Sue Adams

Join the Ads Placement Revolution, email: team@hubpages.com

It's right that we voice our concerns. We can but try. If uninterrupted text means more satisfied readers and more revenue potentially, then why keep up with annoying ads? Just doesn't make sense.

8. techygran profile image86
    techygranposted 22 months ago

Yes. thank you for bringing this annoyance up. I hope there is some attempt to correct this.

9. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 22 months ago

Yes, these are the things that make me click away from an article... I don't click on a subject to be bombarded by intrusive, irrelevent and annoying ads.

We obviously all feel the same about this topic. I hope we see some changes soon.

10. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 22 months ago

Hubpages has said they're working on a better as layout, so I suppose we just have to be patient.

1. AliciaC profile image92
      AliciaCposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Where did you see this, Eugene? I missed it.

1. Misbah786 profile image85
        Misbah786posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Matt said that they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. smile

Here: https://hubpages.com/forum/post/4249506

1. AliciaC profile image92
          AliciaCposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, Misbah. I read that post before and thought that Pamela and Matt were referring to the HubPages video. I think I misunderstood. It would be wonderful if they were talking about the ads in general! Closing them would be a nuisance, but at least it would be possible.

I think you're right, Linda. They were probably discussing the video advertisement. Let's hope they resolve all of the ad issues that the readers and writers are experiencing. smile

Stay blessed and have a fabulous Sunday!

2. hclpd profile image93
      hclpdposted 22 months agoin reply to this

When have they? Even then, they still need to revamp the Revenue Share clause.

Lol! Eugene is now enjoying his holiday . . . He'll be back soon with interesting forum threads about ads . . . . You can then ask him this question in detail! wink cool

11. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

Well, I hope it happens sooner than later, Eugene. Fingers crossed.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
      Gregory DeVictorposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Hopefully, my bounce rate will start to improve.

12. hclpd profile image93
    hclpdposted 22 months ago

Oh, nrvermind. Got it.

13. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 22 months ago

Initially I was talking about the change in the video as the X is gone so you can't move it as you scroll done the page. The conversation also got into the ads in general as there placement is not good. I sure hope they make some changes soon!

Let's hope for the best! smile

2. Gregory DeVictor profile image95

Pamela, the sooner the better. Although I don't have any concrete proof about this, I believe that Google takes a webpage's bounce rate into consideration when ranking it in the organic search results. Because of the proliferation of ads throughout our articles, many visitors are obviously leaving the pages early, which could adversely increase our bounce rates. Ultimately, over time, these increased bounce rates could result in less favorable rankings in the organic search results. Time and time again, I have checked on some of my competitors' webpages, and have always found very, very few ads overall.

Thanks for the observation and the comparative research. It's worthy of note.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95

Thanks Miebakagh. It is quite possible that some of my competition is also assessing my articles. I wonder what they think when they see the proliferation of repetitive ads throughout the article and that crazy video at the top of the page. As I mentioned above, their webpages contain very few, if any, ads.

DeVictor, thanks.

14. Donna-Rayne profile image91
    Donna-Rayneposted 22 months ago

Pamela, I agree!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)