Question in need of an answer!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I just noticed a bunch of hubs that have at most 50-55 words covering a tidbit of information like '...one carrot will give you enough vitamins for the day... now most have a couple of comments on each (always the same person raving of how great and useful the info is. I believe she is at #72 gem filled hubs, would you flag it?

I do not like to flag but hokey smokey what a waste of space. I would like an honest opinion here...

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep Flag them quicker than you'd shower your cat Zsuzsy lol

1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hah!  That cat hub.  I still haven't got it out of my mind!  Those pictures of wet cats!  lol lol lol

Anyway, I haven't run across the hubs you're talking about.  I'm never comfortable with flagging somebody's hub.  But that's an evasion of responsibility on my part.

2. aware profile image65
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi bee .i havent seen hubs like your speaking of. but i am a short hub writer.i wrote one that only has 19 words in it. but i think their 19 really good words. since then some of my hubs  have been not accepted for publish because they were deemed to short .so i added more  to them till they went tru. i appreciate that hubpages is pushing me to write bigger. but sometimes  a few word poem  speaks volumes more than any lengthy  overly worded  attempt . my short poem hub i think is worthy of publishing . if you like give it a look and tell me ,would you flag it?

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Flag 'em. smile

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So cute!  Love that smiley.

Maybe change the color of the flag so it shows up better?  Can you do that?

3. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

thanks guys, She has 168 hubs, I just checked a few more looks like 72 of them are crap the others are not too bad though....

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

They are clearly solely promotional spamz... tho the carrot one sounds good lol

5. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 14 years ago

You gotta flag em.  If boatloads of substandard hubs are allowed to proliferate HP, Google will devalue the whole site.  Tell me who it is, I'll flag em.

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I flag the paragraph hubs. isn't there a minimum of words?

7. Jane Dee Summers profile image59
    Jane Dee Summersposted 14 years ago

I'm in agreement. I don't subscribe to multi hubs. I don't even have time to read most of the good one's let alone the crap!

(dangling the carrot calls for flagging the carrot!)

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

That type of hub is exactly why the flag feature exists.

9. Veronica Allen profile image69
    Veronica Allenposted 14 years ago

I believe I am the hubber who you are refering to. I call them my daily doses because I thought it would be a good idea to share something new I learned on a daily basis. I do however write longer hubs, but if this is in violation of Hub pages policy, believe you me I have no problem leaving them out. Refering to them as crap however..... WOW! I'm not sure what to say to that. But if that's how you feel, then all's well that ends well.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know who the OP was referring to, but looking at a few of your hubs, they look really interesting, and you could add more content to them to fit the HP niche as an online article site.
      As they are now, you're going to get flagged for too little content. hope this helps.

10. spease profile image59
    speaseposted 14 years ago

I would like to know how those 2 sentence hubs get scores in the 70's.  I could write 50 of those per day.  How do they get such high scores?

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/23514#post415190

this talks about minimum word count.

also this is helpful advice that I think many do not take advantage of and read first.

http://hubpages.com/faq 
    it covers everything IMO.

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeese! My hubs typically run 1,000 or more words. I have a few that are 500, but not many.

12. Veronica Allen profile image69

I appreciate the feedback rebekahELLE. I in no way want to take away from the reputation that Hub Pages has built by writing hubs that are considered substandard. I just though it would be a good idea. But if it causes a problem or will reflect badly on Hub Pages - then I will refrain from doing them.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you have some good hubs and valuable info, veronica like I mentioned before, I do not know who the OP is referring to, I'm sure there are plenty of busy women who would appreciate reading a quick read. don't go! smile  maybe add some content to a few of the shorter ones.  I think personally, most people want a quick,  informative read.

13. Veronica Allen profile image69

rebekahELLE in danger of them being flagged, I'm just unpublishing them, and I might use them to put together a larger hub. I meant for them to be short reads and I did feel that many were getting something out of them, but I don't want to cause any conflicts. I'm pretty sure that is who the OP was referring to. I'm not dwelling on it however, it's just a catalyst to push me forward. I do thank you for your help however.

1. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you unpublish already?  Did you contact Zsuzsy and ask her?  Did you start out with 168 hubs?  Zsuzsy said 168, with 72 good.

14. Veronica Allen profile image69

Yes rmcrayne I went on ahead and unpublished them! I just decided to either use that information else-where or put it in a larger hub. I haven't decided yet. It's not a big deal however. I just thought that sharing neat facts everday was a good idea. I've only unpublished the "Veronica's Daily Doses" though, nothing else. Never do I want any of my work to be considered "a waste of space", "crap" or "spam". I'm not sure how flagging would effect my other hubs, so I just pulled them. I did start out with 168, now I'm down to 96 - no 'biggy'. I did not however contact her, I really didn't think it was relevant since she already stated her opinion.

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've read some of both the longer and shorter ones. I think they are well written.

Awesome!

2. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think one of the biggest problems (and one that makes a lot of people reluctant to flag other people's work) is that Hubbers who don't generally stick to the "classic" Hub, like 500 or 800 words on something like, "how to screen-in a porch" or "advantages of using x software" people often aren't sure about what others would consider "good" or "horrible".  Throw in that everybody has a different idea of what's useful, what's a good or innovative idea, what's "substance", or what's creative; and you have a whole lot of Hubs that a whole lot of people may not like.  Then, too, there's a HubPages ad out there that says something like, "If can blog you can make money on HubPages" (or something similar).  You can see how the person/blogger who reads that may think HubPages is for blog-type/quickie writing.

It's good that are "clarifying" discussions on here about what Hubs are generally supposed to be, but then nobody is ever going to please everybody either.

3. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there are alot of hubs I've read that don't say anything to me but I'm not an expert in all fields. But if you live in a glass house..........

4. Veronica Allen profile image69

I completely agree Lisa HW and sneakorocksolid. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

5. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

I'm sorry if I stirred up a hornets nest here and didn't mean to offend. I however did not mention names. Those ultra short 'paragraph' hubs would probably work better in collections, something like "10 most unusual fact about sea creatures" or "5 vegetables that contain the most vitamin".

I would think that anyone who is hunting for information on the internet or in hubs is looking for more then the average sentence or two. I know that I am.

As far as poetry goes I wouldn't know a good poem from a bad one, short or long. Most of the hidden meanings in poetry goes right over my head and makes very little sense to me. So unless its written using straight forward language, with the exception of an occasional haiku I stay away from those hubs altogether.

zs

6. Veronica Allen profile image69

Whatever anyone's intent was, this experience was eye-opening and can be used to help others present the very best work they possibly can. That's how I see it, and that's what I'm taking away from it.

My hat's really off to you for your great attitude.  I don't know that I could be so big in such a situation. 

Very glad you're here on HubPages.  I definitely appreciate your contribution to this community.

1. Veronica Allen profile image69
          Veronica Allenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for that! That really meant a lot to me.

No probs girl.  You're a keeper!

7. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Articles should by like a skirt ... short enough to gather attention but long enough to cover the subject. As such, micro articles are not very informative and should be flagged, as they add no quality to hubpages. smile

(micro articles are those that cover a subject in under 50 words)

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
        Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yoshi now that's funny 'Articles should be like a skirt...'

8. Veronica Allen profile image69

Thanks! I try to put a positive spin on things.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)