More Traffic: suggestion

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I have a suggestion. Lately, I've been participating in Yahoo Answers. I try to answer any question I have a thought about, especially those that I have experience with. I have answered several questions that coincidently have hubs about similar topics, and in my answer, I provide the tracking link for the hub.

I have had a good deal of traffic from them, as many people view the answers, ask and answer questions. Plus, sometimes, the questions appear on yahoo searches of similiar topics. I know when researching papers, the questions/answers of the same search, popped up on top before the search results, which means more people will be exposed to them. 

I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested in this.

You do need a yahoo email address; if you already have one then you're set, otherwise you would need to sign up for one.

I do add other information about the question, not just post the link. This helps, as well.

1. stubbs profile image63
      stubbsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you don't mind me asking, how much traffic on average from yahoo answers?
      (are you allowed to say? :-z)

2. The Good Cook profile image66
    The Good Cookposted 16 years ago

Thank you for sharing this excellent tip Whitney.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

Hey Whitney... if you'd like a bud on Yahoo! Answers, we can vote for each other's answers, etc.

I don't know how you find people there.... but my screen name is "Ask M"

4. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Wonderful ideas ladies.  My screen name is zstaciez.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea how to find you on Yahoo! Answers directly, so I googled your screen name and "yahoo!" and "answers" and found you.  Lol.  If anyone knows a more efficient way to find each other, please share.

5. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 16 years ago

I found that "what is the most difficult language?" comes up on Yahoo Answers a lot, so I did the same as Whitney a few months ago and said "Polish" and gave a reason why, and a link to my hub. It got me a bit of traffic, but also got me some backlinks that way for eventual Google traffic.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I take that last part back. Yahoo Answers links are made "rel=nofollow" automatically, meaning that it won't give you any backlink value for better Google rankings. The only benefit would be direct traffic - not sure how many of those people would click on ads.

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I'm so *happy* to hear that Polish is the most difficult language!  As, I'm ever so slowly trying to learn it.  My husband is Polish and I want our children to be bilingual.  Oh, funny!  I studied Spanish and German in school, and I ended up married to a Polish guy.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It can be learned...very slowly! Luckily you're married to a Pole so he can help you. Although be warned that Polish people are not used to hearing their language spoken by foreigners, ever, so he will most likely laugh at your accent & grammatical mistakes. Not out of malice - but because they're new! But it is a really interesting and beautiful language.

Powodzenia na uczeniu sie jezyka polskiego!

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
        Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You know you've been living in a Slavic country WAY too long when you can automatically understand other Slavic languages you've never actually learned.

wink wink

7. Whitney05 profile image81

Stacie and Maddie I jsut added you both. :-)

I will say the only problem with Yahoo Answers that I've had, is one user harassing me. She emailed me saying I'm stupid, and have nothing good or intelligent to say. Then proceeded to say that I'm probably ugly, fat, etc. Then said I was anorexic. All becuase I made a comment towards not doing something that she told someone to do...

Don't spray a leopard geckos cage. You don't spray the cage of other geckos that require higher humidity than leopard geckos, so why would you spray their enclosure? Anyway... She said I was stupid becuase of my 6 years experience. And because I breed reptiles (which I get from top breeders around the US, not petstore reptiles) that, that was why I asked why people breed their dogs... When there's a big difference; as millions of dogs are euthanized yearly becuase they're unwanted. But anyway...

If you know how to report harassment, please let me know. Thanks. :-)

And I got like 20 hits the first day I posted links... Something like that... I hope it's ok that I divulged that info.

8. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I just got a best answer on yahoo!  Yea.  It's my first.

I get an error whenever I add a link to hubpages on yahoo answers though.  It started yesterday.  I can post other links, but nothing to hubpages.  Anyone else have this problem?

Is THAT what the problem is?  It says "Error 999" but the possible reasons it gives don't have anything to do with links... hmmmm...

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
        Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yup.  Is it working for you today?  I haven't tried yet.

9. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

I tried this after seeing Whitney's tips. It worked for a while and then it didn't. But just now when I tried again it is working again. smile Best Regards

10. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Hm...I'll have to try again if I find a fitting question to answer.

11. GreatTattoosNow profile image57
    GreatTattoosNowposted 16 years ago

Hey All-

Whitney05 hanks for the great info.  I have been using Yahoo answers more for the link/PR value.  I have noticed some traffic not a huge amount but every little bit helps right.

I like the idea of helping each other out so I have added all three of you, WHITNEY05, Maddie Rudd, and Stacie Naczelnik.  Here is the url to my yahoo answers page if anyone is willing to do the same.

http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_yl … jIf9VSgjaa

I could not vote for anyones answers becuase I am not level two yet.  I only have about 32 more points to go and then I will be able to vote for your answers!

I have had some good success at having my questions rate as the best answer.  7 Best Questions for a 48% rate.  Pretty cool.  Not sure why but still cool.

WHITNEY05 as for the person pestering you?  I would just delete there email or even give it a spam flag and then delete and ignore them.  Down at the bottom of the profile page by where you add people as contacts there is a "Block User" button.  You might want to try that.  It also states in the help of Yahoo ANswers that you can email them if someone is pestering you.  You might want to just forward the emails to
    y_answrs_team@yahoo.com

Hope that helps.

Not to be a bum, but it's Ruud... for some reason, people shy away from pronouncing (or spelling) my last name correctly... perhaps because it is a homophone for "rude."

Oh well.  My last name is soon changing to Luis... at which point I hope there will be less confusion...

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think that having a surname that sounds like Rude would be totally cool!

12. SunSeven profile image61

Congrats Maddie smile

13. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I'm not at level two yet either, but I'm getting there.

Maddie...marriage?  My maiden name was Faria Johnson (I never used a hyphen because I didn't like it).  Nobody could ever pronounce Faria (rhymes with Maria) and always thought Faria way my middle name.  I gladly switched names when I got married.  Nobody can pronounce Naczelnik, but it definitely is less annoying.  And, people like to ask about the origins of the name, so that's a good thing.

Affirmative:

http://photos-999.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v130/102/23/505470999/n505470999_573649_9084.jpg

14. GreatTattoosNow profile image57
    GreatTattoosNowposted 16 years ago

Sorry Miss Ruud soon to be Mrs. Luis.  I stand corrected and will take note.  Congrats by the way! 

Going to create any hubpages on weddings?  Wedding keywords typically pay pretty well in adsense.  Just a fun little fact!

Anyway congrats and I will get the name right from now on!

15. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Hey,
    I just stumbled accross this post. I have been using yahoo answears for a while now and i am at level 3. ( I thought everyone new about it!!

I  used to answear questions for fun and be helpfull "boredom really" and i  have now started to use it to generate a little traffic to my hubs and blog.

Also this is an excellent tool for everyone here as the amount of topics they cover are huge...

My question is, how long do the answears you ask stay in the system?

PS, i will look out for your names for best answears wink

1. profile image0
      Lisa Bargerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't use it YA any more but I was one of the originals and as far as I can tell all my questions and answers are still there.

I'm glad it's working for all of you.  It wasn't worth it to me.

16. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Maddie, I have tips on eloping--if the wedding planning gets to be too much!

Maybe I should do an elopement hub.

compu-smart: level 3, good job.  I'm getting closer and closer to level 2.

17. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I still can't post any hub links to yahoo answers.  How is it for everyone else today?

18. SunSeven profile image61

I tried just now. Yes, something is wrong. sad

Argh.  I hope they aren't denying all hub links.  That would suck.

Okay, I just answered a question and it worked when I added a link.  But, I had to "tinyURL" my hubpages link.  Maybe they are blocking hubpages?

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
        Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I tried this as well before my last post and that didnt work for me.

But if it worked for you, I guess that's a good sign.

19. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

Mine are being denied too.

Must be a hubpages thing..??

sad sad

20. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Yeah, I guess they caught on to the tiny trick to because it didn't work the second time.

21. Isabella Snow profile image85

Odd the timing seems to have coincided with this thread....wonder if someone let them know about it.

22. SunSeven profile image61

I have a friend with Rudy as first name smile

And friends, I wrote to the yahoo help center and they got back to me saying that it is not because of hubpages links, but due to extreme busy servers and very high activity from the respective ISPs. They say, if the issue persists, contact our respective ISPs and only they can solve this problem and not Yahoo!

Perhaps there is still hope, I guess. smile

Great picture Maddie. Wish you all the happiness in the world. smile

23. stubbs profile image63
    stubbsposted 16 years ago

My dad has a friend called Dick Small

that was not a joke

24. SunSeven profile image61

Really!? Whats in a name anyway! smile

25. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Well, I think it is odd that I can submit all other links but hubpages links.  This happens from home and work, so I've tried from different computers.

26. SunSeven profile image61

Hmmm. I think perhaps too many people are posting HubPages links and their system might recognize it as spam. smile Are you on Digg to Stacie? Perhaps it will help if we digg each other's posts?

27. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

My digg name is StacieN.

28. SunSeven profile image61

Ok. I will find you. I am SunSeven there too.

29. Isabella Snow profile image85

And I still can't.

30. Isabella Snow profile image85

And I STILL cant. Getting annoying now!

No, I wrote in another post that it stopped working after the first time.  Lame.

31. Isabella Snow profile image85

Yeah but if they told SunSeven it's nothing to do with Hubpages, it's some other error and you'd think they could have sorted it by now.

32. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Thanks every one you've inspired me to get onto yahoo and find this ask thing-  I hadnt come across it before - even if it won't work with hubpages its a useful site  My handle is lissie there too

33. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Anyone had success with hub links since we last checked in?  I haven't tried.  I am able to link to my blogs, where I have links to my hubs...but it isn't as handy as a direct link.

It was working for a while yesterday.  But no longer.

Thanks for the info Maddie.

34. Isabella Snow profile image85

Actually has been working fine for me the last 2 days.

35. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I did it twice last night, but got errors at first.  I just kept going back to the "modify" page, not modifying anything, then resubmitting.  After two or three tries, I stopped getting the error message.  Odd.

36. Whitney05 profile image81

Sorry I have responded. I emailed yahoo about the 999 error.

They replied:

The error you
    received is typically caused by unusual activity from either your
    computer or your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to Yahoo!. While this
    type of problem is usually temporary, if you continue to experience
    this
    error, we recommend that you try the following suggestions:

1) Contact your ISP and let them know you are experiencing connectivity

problems with Yahoo!. You may have difficulty accessing Yahoo! if we
    detect unusual network traffic coming from your ISP. Only your ISP will

be able to address and resolve this abnormal activity.

2) Check that you are not using any third party software program or
    application to access Yahoo! services. Please keep in mind that these
    types of programs are not supported by Yahoo! and may violate our Terms

of Service, and therefore may contribute to your receiving this error.

3) If you have not scanned your computer for spyware and viruses,
    please
    do so now. Some spyware programs and computer viruses will run separate

programs on your computer for a variety of purposes, sometimes slowing
    your computer down in the process, and even preventing you from
    accessing certain Internet sites such as Yahoo!.

For detailed information on virus protection, please visit:

http://security.yahoo.com/malware.html

For detailed information on spyware, please visit:

http://security.yahoo.com/spyware.html

4) You may want to try accessing Yahoo! through a different computer or

through a different Internet connection.

We hope this is resolved for you soon so that you may continue to use
    Yahoo!.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I posted other links with my hubpage link in the link. I haven't had any problems for a while....

My yahoo is wlowell05... anyone else on yahoo answers add me and I'll vote for you answers as I'm level 2 on my way to level 3. :-)

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thats similar to the reply I got from them too. Now I am having doubts that, is it really worth the effort and time!!?

37. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I got the same email.

Well...it happens no matter where I am: work or home, so different connections.

I've scanned for viruses.

Third party...what?  No, not me.

38. Whitney05 profile image81

I dunno... I haven't had any problems for a week or so now... Hopefully, you get it corrected.

39. Isabella Snow profile image85

No problems here, either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)