Should i end this 12 year relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image50
    sokelenglposted 14 years ago

I’m a 32 years old lady. I wasted 12 years on a deadbeat boyfriend.
    For the initial 7 years we lived in overseas ( in UK) and cohabited for 7 years.   At that time we were students. Now we are living in different country. He visited me 3-4 times a year for the past 5 years. 
    This man will turn 37 soon, but has the maturity of an early twenty man. I was a fool who fell for a total jerk-off. He lives in flat with his mum and his mum’s partner. Therefore he has no rent to pay, no car and doesn’t has his own flat. He never takes a day of professional job once he graduated from university. After finished his undergraduate study, he pursued to his graduated study. At once he said the reason he pursue further studies was because he was afraid to come out working. He spent another 5 years in the university, lost interest in his reseach topic and failed to get a graduate degree. He wasted 5 years. In my mind, I don’t see getting a phd is crucial. Plenty of people on the street still get a good earning and comfortable life with a basic degree. Being a understanding lady,I gave him plenty of time ( another 4 -5 years) and space to reset his career path.   
    As he staying with his mum, he whined a lot and hates the environment completely. He said he don’t have space and feel trapped in the flat. Because there is always someone in the flat and don’t have enough privacy to do his online business planning. Honestly say, I don’t think it is right to shift the blame to his mum. His mum is the at the semi-retired age ( 60 years old). At this age she is probably feel she is too tired to go out. He is the person who should responsible to get the life he wants.
    When we would go out, which was rare, I always paid for my share. I feel very guilty to spend his money. For every visiting period, I will try my best to serve him very well. He doesn’t have money, therefore I make home cook food to cut down the expenses of eating out.  I offered him good sex, keep myself fit to look well. I am trying  my best to be a successful businesswomen, a good wife to be, an excellent chef, a sluttish lady in the bedroom. For all the efforts I put into this relationship, I received northing. No promised future and, not even a ring. This sink me into the deepest depression that I can ever imagine. The suicidal thoughts always come into my mind. The pictures of turning on the carbon monoxide in the car and sink my car into river bank always surface. My business life is so hectic and busy, it distracts me a lot. It numbs the sadness in my heart. On the outside I am still a bubbly lady. Even my parent living in the same household doesn’t know I am slowly sinking  into the depression.
    Like other jobless man, he talks about what he’s gonna do with his life but no result showing. Now he is selling some mechandises on ebay, the traffic is slow. The income he bring in not enough to keep a cat. He refuses to look up for job, he said  no one will hire a 37 years old man without any working experiences. He also has very bad temperament. Often he would disappear for 10 days plus , and ignore all my calls in that period. So I would decide distance  myself from him and ignore his calls. This would cause him to flip out. He left nasty email messages . WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR MOBILE?

Due to unhappiness at his mum home, he asked me to move out from my parent home , find a new place and move in with him. He said he can pay his own foods and I paid the rest of the bill!  I told him without his income stability I wont’ move a finger! This is an iron rule. If he insist to move out from her mum's home to a rented room,I am willing to pay 50% of the rent. This round he came back make this comment.

“i want to say more about moving out but because i know you and your artificial rules would meant its better not to discuss it further. but i will remember that you are in the position to help but you choose not to. so you better pray that you never ever need my help in the future cos i won't be rendering you any!”

This comments utterly shatter my heart.

He proposed to move out 2 years ago, luckily I never did it. Two years after he still remain jobless stay with mum.
    I am angry at myself for staying with him for so long. It was difficult. He was really good in bed and had a few other good qualities. I have higher standards and expectations involving the company I keep. I am a great person, and I refuse to settle for anything less.
    Should I leave this behind my back?

1. bukan profile image60
      bukanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok.. First of all i never see a lady at this utmost sacrificing point of view. You are simply great and please please just forget about this thing SUICIDE, never try to come this in your mind. There is so much time for you to start a new life dear, just take experience from the past. Simply you are great.

2. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

And you still have QUESTIONS about what to do?!?
    Read what you've written here...

I wanted to comment on this more extensively, but somehow have no words. Just read your own post.

3. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I would say it's high time that you focused on what you wanted and went for it.

4. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

you should have left this guy behind your back ages ago !

You've been wasting 12 years of your life on 'nothing'
    time to move on

5. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

never too late to make a new start, learn from the past

6. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

OK, first off, don't commit suicide . . . like really don't. Like you said, you're a great person. If in fact you do feel that way about yourself, your next move should be relatively easy.
    But just to spell it out . . . YES, LEAVE HIM!
    Let me get this straight: he doesn't work, has never worked and couldn't even get his higher education under his hat in due time?
    I'm sure it's intimidating to leave a situation you have gotten so used to, but your own words are a dead giveaway that it's time. You say you have high standards for the company you keep . . . I think it's time to exercize those standards.
    Make it over that hurdle and the rest should be easy.
    Best of luck to you.

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You're a smart woman. Get out of this mess and get your life back!

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol smart woman ??

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi tantrum.  smile even smart women get stupid about relationships.

hi justine !
          You got a point there smile

It's incredible what sex & love together can do to a person !

1. profile image0

yeah....I know. smile

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was trying to be sensitive and supportive, be nice.

lol sorry, but I couldn't resist !. it sounds so funny !
          I'll try to be nice, sneak big_smile

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tantrum you're the best! It is sort of sad funny.smile

8. europewalker profile image81
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Please move on, you deserve better than these. Believe me there are some wonderful men out there. You have alot of life left to live. Start Living!

9. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

And she should start writing hubs. I think  !!

10. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

A question: where does he go on these ten day jaunts?  Maybe he's got another woman somewhere, which would make him even more of a deadbeat! 

I don't know you and am really guessing here, but I bet part of the reason you feel so depressed and suicidal is that you *know* you've wasted your time on this man and have therefore probably missed out on at least a couple of partners who would have been so much better for you.

11. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Good Lord, don't waste another second on this manipulative loser. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Do something for yourself and stay off men for awhile. As soon as you get to where you feel you don't need one and are happy, the right one will just show up.

Works every time. Good luck. smile

1. profile image0

I agree. To be in a healthy relationship, you need to take care of you. You cant expect someone else to fix you. Take some time off to take care of you!!

12. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

In life, if you keep the doing the same things, then you can't expect things to change. It's time to move on. Turn the page, and start a new chapter.

13. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Since you posted this question, should be grounds to move on.

As human nature, we tend to fear change and live by being "comfortable", even though comfortable might not be a healthy environment.

Just even posing this question should be proof enough that you need a change smile

1. profile image0

wow Tim, that has to be one of the best things Ive seen you say!!

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is so true. I was thinking about my own life when I read what you said here and I realized if I'd left the first time I started wondering if I should I'd have been better off in each and every case.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What Tim said.

14. cindyvine profile image71
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Tell him to hit the road, Jack!

15. Ms.Lavae profile image61
    Ms.Lavaeposted 14 years ago

Girl kick him to the curb aint ands ifs and buts. He is def no good. If you need some tips on how i wrote a blog called Get rod of ya no good man. His wasting your time so you need to move on. It will hurt but your hurt soon will heal.

16. secondreview profile image61
    secondreviewposted 14 years ago

I think you're scared to leave him and that after 12 years perhaps you do not know how to be with anyone else.  He is not your partner in life and never will be.

There is only one way to deal with this.   Never ever speak to him again.  Instant cut off.  Brick wall.   A slow withdrawal won't work.

17. Mrs.Nita profile image60
    Mrs.Nitaposted 14 years ago

No man is worth killing yourself.  You are valuable, and you are loved I'm sure by your family and friends.  The writing is on the wall for you, and though you may feel that you have wasted time let me just tell you that your best days are yet to come.  I'm in a similar situation, except I'm married.  I'm 32 as well, but I know my self worth.  It's time for you to know yours.  Move on and learn from this experience.  It could be worse, you could have children, be married, and be stuck with a dead beat, but you're not.  So don't be so hard on yourself, we all make mistakes.

18. Miss Belgravia profile image61
    Miss Belgraviaposted 14 years ago

In the last five years, you've only seen him three or four times a year? This isn't a relationship. It's a fantasy. And not a nice one. Move on with your life.

19. Maria C Gonzalez profile image61
    Maria C Gonzalezposted 14 years ago

It's hard to end a12 year old relationship, but the truth is, it sounds like that relationship ended years ago. A relationship between two people is supposed to move forward not backwards. Think about what it is that is tying you to him. Great sex is amazing, but never enough. You should feel connected with someone not only in bed, but in your mind and soul as well.

Love is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction.
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Wind, Sand and Stars, 1939
    French writer (1900 - 1944)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)