Do writers live in their own world of thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (69 posts)
  1. paramarora profile image77
    paramaroraposted 14 years ago

I really believe that writers live in the world of thoughts and because of these thoughts they are able to generate wonderful writing. What do you all think?

1. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me think about it...

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe so, that's what makes them writers.  They write from the outside based on structured thought.  Even though he/she must actually 'feel' what they're putting down on paper, they must separate themselves from the 'product'.  Everyone I'm sure has read a story or book at some time wherein the author was so self absorbed in his story it became a story for one, the author, and was not very enjoyable.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes.

4. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being a fiction writer, myself, I have found it necessary to have my own little world to write from. There, the characters come alive and speak of what they will do in any situation, making the stories all that more realistic and entertaining.

So for me, yeah, I have my own little world. smile

5. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not in the literal sense. smile

6. adamstandingtree profile image60
      adamstandingtreeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but everybody lives in a world of thoughts (everybody truly conscious, that is), so that can't be it. The brain is geared toward processing thoughts so that's all anybody does all the time...
      What makes writers stand out is their translational software-- the ability to turn thought into an artistic thingamajig. Look at Picasso-- when the dude thought of a busty babe, his translational software made him pony up with a picture of a lumpy broad with both eyes on the same side of her face. Likewise, a writer can think of a trip to the corner store and be able to turn it into a prose-filled adventure or comedic monologue. Wonderful writing might just be variation in translational software that gears toward the interesting...

7. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that we all 'live in our own world of thoughts' but that we have a different lens (mine is pretty twisted sometimes)to look through and more astute power of observation and a driving need to communicate. Though "Thought World" does call strong at times... lol lol

8. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I have to try and switch, I study and practice Science, and writing is a pastime for me, so often I'm thinking in real terms, but when the writing mood hits me and I drift into the right frame of mind, then yeah, I'm in my own little world smile

9. treasuresyw profile image59
      treasuresywposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that you are right for the most part. With so many writers today there could be so much to say about them. Many have this creativeness coupled with all their emotions that bring forth such great stuff. Some are just so passionate about living that everything gets a rise out of them and they write them down to help others along the way. Writing is so awesome and for me it allows me to uplift, vent, motivate and create entertainment. So many possibilities!

10. theazorean profile image60
      theazoreanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that you are 100% right. I write historical fiction, but I am also an Art Historian living in Florence, Italy- so not only do I live in my own world, but that world is set in the past (predominantly 15th century). There is so much to be inspired by here in Europe- the art, the architecture, the rich history...I could go on and on. It's nice to have this "little paradise" (world of my own) when reality hits hard.

11. Kathy Rimel profile image60
      Kathy Rimelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that writers have to enter their fiction world or they couldn't write so well about it.  Though living in that world full time would never work.  There are always too many chores in real life.

12. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True a good writer only thinks of his words his thoughts and forgets the rest of the world.They do write for the world, I hope you get what I mean. smile

1. alekhouse profile image70
        alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this is probably more true with fiction and poetry writing. Journalistic pieces or articles, which is what I do, may require intense involvement with the piece, the research, the writing, editing and re-writing. It may also change topics from day to day and deal mostly with the reality of life. It can also be more technical and less emotional. Because of this, I hardly think it will require going inward and living in any particular world of thought for very long.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

amen to that. creative writing absorbs you, much like painting or composing music. but when you're on a deadline, focused on a deliverable, especially something technical or complicated, your focus is sharp and you're keenly aware of everyone around you. that's because they're breathing down your neck wink

2. profile image0
        seasoningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean......  your mind needs no distraction from others, whilst you are in the process, but when the writing is finished they are welcome to read it, is that what you mean?

13. Sage Williams profile image60
      Sage Williamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always, Always, Deep in thought.  Especially when you try to go to sleep.  For me that's when the best writing begins.

14. profile image0
      AuthorLMSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not only do I live in my own thoughts but also in my emotions as well. This is where all my great writing takes place, however I have found that my awesome forms of writing come from my emotions rather than my thoughts. Nice to meet you all!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

often. I think it depends also on what we're writing, but I have read where prolific fiction writers often enter their world.

I don't write fiction, but I do write poetry, sometimes fantasy poetry, and I very much enter that world, I feel like I am the character. It helps me write.

I totally agree with you. smile

3. manlypoetryman profile image76
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Sounds like a good theory...By golly, I think your right...!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

yes, I live in my own thoughts most of the times, but when I write I like to remember what are my expereinces and I like to share things so that others will learn from my experiences.

1. manlypoetryman profile image76
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

G'morning...PDH...!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

morning manly, i am cooking you good ol Asian brekie, fried rice and eggs plus my brewed coffee, come over here.. I really like your new tractor, handsome

1. manlypoetryman profile image76
          manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On my way...That Breakfast sounds good!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ok, will be ready as soon as you are here, LOL, anybody else who want coffee?

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

what was that? I am sorry, I didnt hear you, I was lost in my thoughts   wink

6. Chad A Taylor profile image72
    Chad A Taylorposted 14 years ago

I do, because I do! smile

7. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I write mainly fiction, so I would have to agree with the living in my own thoughts theory. big_smile

8. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I have been living in other people's thoughts, and that can get very strange.  I never thought of living in my own thoughts! If it helps me write better I'll do it, by gum!  And since you mentioned it, I just realized I am having some thoughts! Oh, bless you, child.

9. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I do believe I could write more if I didn't think so danged much!  Gets in the way alot of the time.
    And I have no idea whose thoughts they are...

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thinking is overrated. lol

1. lorlie6 profile image74
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You betcha, babe. yikes

1. profile image0

Has never done me any good big_smile

10. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't write fiction, so that could be the difference; but I live with the external world almost constantly "streaming in", mixing with stuff that's already in my head, being processed, and then being streamed out in the form of writing.  It's like a two-way, two-open-mental-valves, type of thing.  So for me, it's pretty much the opposite of living in my own head.  Much of what I write tends to be, "Here's what I took in, and here's how I processed it.  I'm sending it back, World.  Hope it's useful to someone who hasn't processed this particular stuff yet."  I don't have to stay "in my head" to process stuff.  I live my others-centered life (kids, mostly) as usual, and the processing/incubating goes on by itself.  It's all pretty "mechanical" and non-creative - and the lack of the "imagination factor" pretty much shows in my writing  lol.

1. profile image0

Bless you, with that kind of thinking power, I'm glad you're not my competition. big_smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't really think it's "thinking power".  lol  I think it's more a kind of "ADD-gone-practical" (or something like that)  hmm  When it comes to imagination, I'd win the prize for having the least imagination and creativity of anyone in the world, living or dead.  lol

Hold on there, Lisa, I'm still alive! yikes  I know what you mean about trying to pull in the external world-it's a difficult skill to learn.  I write non-fiction as well, and need to spice things up with details...

11. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

If that is true, then I am intergalactic.  I travel throughout my many worlds of thought.  Or maybe it's just my multiple personalities?  I don't know, and neither do I...

12. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I thnk I got my forums mixed up or something because now I can't find all that good stuff I wrote on here about thinking! Has anybody seen it?

Nothing, mega, nothing at all. yikes

1. mega1 profile image81
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet you not only saw it, but you're hiding it. aren't you! Oh well, if you wanna keep my thoughts you're welcome to em - because they're mainly this:  lol

Oh, no, I would NEVER do such a thing, although that's exactly how I think as well.  BTW, you've a new fan.

13. spiritactor profile image61
    spiritactorposted 14 years ago

I believe writers live in a world of their experiences, which are acted on by their imagination. Yes, this does form "thoughts"; but it's richer than that. Experiences yield images, abstract impressions, memories, physical changes, even smells. I think writers simply live-- and each one chooses the "cell" they wish to produce within: subject, format, community, national, international, the galaxy, the universe-- or choose no cell at all and simply fly about on wings of pure imagination with no bounds anywhere or anytime.

#1: Have joy at writing (and don't forget your wings when you want)!

1. profile image0

Interesting take on this thread.

14. paramarora profile image77
    paramaroraposted 14 years ago

I think you all are right.  We have to be in our own world to write well.

15. caravalhophoto profile image61
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

I believe writers, photographers, artists and all folks creative were given extra brain cells at birth.  I'm not saying these cells make us any smarter, but give us this ability to go deeper than just logic and bring forth an image that tells a story, whether it is with writing, photography, painting, sculpture...etc.

I think it is called; being blessed with an imagination.

I love spending time with my imagination, living in reality 24/7 is not what I was put on this Earth to do, that's for sure.

Enjoy your thoughts.

1. paramarora profile image77
      paramaroraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are right.  Enjoying our thoughts make us write.

2. spiritactor profile image61
      spiritactorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool idea!  I'd like to consider myself having a larger brain than many.

Congruent to that, I am convinced we possess some easier access to our higher conscience; call it imagination, inspiration, or simply a gift. In my experience, artists are generally the most compassionate, the most visionary, the most accepting-of-new-ideas "group" that this earth physically yields. Why else would that be? And I'm not "tooting our horn"-- just observing (as many artists DO).

16. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

All the outstanding writers throughout history created and projected their own image of the world by being so mentally immersed in it.     Even nonfiction authors projected a distinctive style by the same means---total immersion of their minds into their subject matter.

17. terrowhite profile image59
    terrowhiteposted 14 years ago

Of course, writers live in their own world of thoughts.. me as well..

18. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

I think that; the area of the brain used to create art etc. often functions better if it is not driven but allowed to 'free flow'. So although creating requires an ability to disconnect from the 'world' without the real world I doubt a writer would be able to create something others (readers) could relate to and recognise.

19. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Growing up in a big family, I had no other choice but to develop the ability to drown out the sounds around me in order to focus on writing and drawing (my penchant for drawing came first).  So now, I can having music blasting in the background and can still delve into my stream of consciousness and write effectively.

20. profile image52
    dtd32posted 14 years ago

I think fiction is all about creating a world out of your thoughts. You have to become each of the characters in this world you created. Then you have to breath life into them and let them lead you through your story.

21. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I live in my own world of thoughts at times especially when writing and I am a writer. so yes writers do sometimes live in their own world of thoughts.

22. profile image0
    vvanault14posted 14 years ago

i'm often in my own thoughts, speaking with the characters of my stories (yes they talk to me). so sometimes i get looked at funny because i occasionally speak out loud when i'm talking with them.

23. spiritactor profile image61
    spiritactorposted 14 years ago

Technically, thoughts ARE my world-- when I'm writing. Even when not writing, I'm still having thoughts of course-- but they alter and come and go according to my surroundings and other people. My thoughts are more focused and more all my own when writing.

24. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

I believe we do live in a world of our own that we share with those around us. A writer's mind is always working, absorbing everything in our path and storing it in the recesses of our mind to draw upon when the need arises. My family sometimes teases me because I can make a story out of what is basically, to some, nothing. A young girl smiling as she strolls down the street to the beat of the music in her ears is anticipation of where she is headed, not just the music she hears. A person impatiently leaning on the horn when the light turns green translates as someone who needs to take some time for themselves to escape the routine of life or the fight they had with their spouse earlier in the day. If we didn't live in a world of our own where would the rest of the world be?

25. andromida profile image57
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I think so.One way or another most of the writers have their own world of imagination.

26. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
    Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

For me at least I think it's more of a lens on life and living that has its own twisted view. I try to translate that picture to the rest of the world

27. TKarma profile image59
    TKarmaposted 14 years ago

I believe writers have the wonderful opportunity to live the life of the mind. So, yes, I agree with you:)

28. worldlifesite profile image59
    worldlifesiteposted 14 years ago

I tend to see a movie and soak in all the scenes.  I hear the sounds, see the sights, feel the action.  Its like I'm in that world for real.  After playing in it for a bit I then write about it. 

I interact with the characters, they are real in the world they live in.  I sometimes see or hear things that are foreign to me, at least consciously foreign to me.

I do research on things I get stuck on or need more details on.  Its fun going into these worlds that my mind put together.

29. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

I think in a lot of ways, if you're going to paint pictures of the world with words - you do have to spend a lot of time on the outside watching. But at the same time, you need to be experiencing the things you write about.

I think writers live life alongside everyone else, but within a different reality; their minds in a different place & not present in quite the same way.

30. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I pretty much live in those thoughts all the time, and grateful I can big_smile

31. dfunzy profile image59
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

The best writers  -- Two of my favorites, Mark Twain and Leo Tolstoy, had their feet firmly planted in this world and drew on their imaginations to write their fiction which were metaphors.

32. nochance profile image86
    nochanceposted 14 years ago

I know I live in my own world and I love it here... most of the time. I am a fiction writer with a need to escape from reality. I can get really caught up in a story I'm writing simply by wanting to be there so bad. It's just something that happens. It can be good and it can be bad.

33. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I agree, when I write I want to portray at least in part my internal world and when I read I can become transported in to anothers. smile

34. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i find now that i have decided to write a little or a lot.... daily, i am shutting other people out, ...... I thought they had already shut me out, but apparantly according to them it is me.... help.

I wish i could find time to write more, and everything i do and see now, relates to a process for future writing..... i think i will buy myself a big bubble......

35. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I gotta admit, some of my characters consume me.  Most of all, I struggle with plot line for my work.  I try to delve into as many genres as possible.  Pimping...No, WRITING aint easy smile

1. profile image0
      seasoningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi Don.... encouragement always helps and Don is da man to encourage, you must write as much encouraging people as you do writing your hubs.... it is always appreciated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)