Jason and the HubTeam are doing a great job!

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (83 posts)
  1. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

it really annoyed me to see people blasting them for making HubPages a great place to write. HubPages is for everyone, not just people you like! they have a tough job to do and they do it swiftly and with precision and fairness. I have not seen them be unfair to anyone. heck, they even closed a whole thread I wrote and at first I was all "what?", but I discovered I was in violation of HubPage's TOS and Jason was kind enough to explain it to me right away. we are not children here. booHOO, they banned several people. stop whining about it and yes if you don't like it, LEAVE! yikes

they work hard to create a FREE, well maintained space for you to write and earn some ducats, and you go and unfairly jump all over them? that is UNcool.

so I am posting some well deserved hublove for the HubTeam here.

http://i47.tinypic.com/23u4jmg.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1567ipi.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/oqvosl.gifhttp://i48.tinypic.com/oqvosl.gifhttp://i48.tinypic.com/oqvosl.gif

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree cosette and commented on another thread about some of the out of hand some things have become due to a select few.

A number of hubbers have been reprimanded and or banned for various reasons that some hubbers disagree with.  This is understandable but is it something that is needed. 

I have been "hunted" down by several hubbers looking to take personal attacks at me while ignoring the issues being presented.  Sure I have had a few sharp tongued responses but still respect the person while trying to steer the conversation back on topic.  Sometimes it has been a most unpleasant experience.

While I have never reported them I felt that participating any further on a given topic from which I was personally attacked was a fruitless endeavor and just stayed gone for a few days to let the individual cool down who was so bothered by my posts.

Maybe this was a correction long overdue and the flavor of free expression can reign once again in here.

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've got to agree, cosette-I am proud to be member of a fair and civil place to write, rather than a schoolyard full of obscenities and fart references.  I get that people have differences of opinion, but blatant attacks on one another is, well, uncivilized.  The forums have frequently become places of extremism, which unnerves me.  I choose not to participate in them.

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

What was the violation from you ?

Please explain.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Hear, hear!

4. profile image0

i have also, on occasion, but i make sure that i don't swear, name-call, or that sort of thing. let's be honest, some of the stuff Silk said was extremely offensive and in clear violation of the TOS. HubPages is just enforcing their policies. i don't understand this wholesale "the Hubteam is unfair" mentality. they can say what they want about it, and guess what, so can i smile

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I agree. I have said it over and over, they have a tough job, and I would nto want it. calls need to be made, and soemone needs to make htem.

but why is a thread, that isnt close to calling anyone names, and had nothing to do with the recent ban..a..palooza..
    erased?

I just wanted to say my point of view. I put it in the correct forum topic. No mean words, no accusations, nothing about being banned. I would have not started a new thread, but all the others were closed.

If someone doesnt like this stament, just erase it. Dont close cosetts thread, it isnt her fualt..she has never been anything but reasonable.

Im just saying, at some point, people do need to be allowed a point of veiw? Even if its different from what others like, if it follows the rules, it should be allowed.

to be clear, Im not a kiss ass. I am also not implying that anyone else is. I do enjoy hubpages and am not mad at anyone.
    I am confused as to why so many threads are getting closed.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well now...i was gone most of the day when that thread was posted, so i don't know what was in it. maybe they erased the whole thread because other people started posting their blogs or something, so it was just easier for them to erase it altogether. i don't fault them for that at all.

thanks Lorlie. (omgsh haha... "fart references" big_smile )

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

it lasted a total of 2 minutes. (about 15 minutes ago)..if that much. I am pretty sure no one responded.
        please understand, I am not trying to find fault. just an answer. I am sure...its no picnic being on the HP team, they do a great job. there is so much to look at see and catch. decisions to make and so many people of all walks of life wanting thier own way. I know, it IS a business.
        It got erased, I am sure there was a reason.

1. Haunty profile image74
          Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just saw that they closed my thread too a minute ago. I was encouraging people to tell me which one of their hubs they liked best. What a sacrilege! They snipped each and every link these hubbers made.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/31473

1. profile image0

WHAT!!?  lol Ill go look.

6. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 14 years ago

Much appreciated, cosette. After that gucci spammer alone this morning, I think I'll need that bottle of white wine in the refrigerator door. wink (I'll happily share it with all of you folks who reported it; that definitely helped!)

We really do try to be as fair as possible, and enforcement of the rules is something that's necessary to make the forums a pleasant, open exchange for people. There is no open exchange when people are being intimidated and attacked.

I don't think it would hurt anyone or break any rules to admit that the closure of Justine's thread was a mistake. She would still deserve an apology in my opinion.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here you go, I opened the bottle.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb39/skylar624/P7010521.jpg

3. profile image0

you're welcome Jason. yeah that gucci spammer was running amok all right.

this thread is about showing HubLove to the HubTeam. if someone wants to rag on them, please do it in your own thread, ok? i hope that's not too much to ask. thanks!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The other threads were all closed. big_smile

1. profile image0

ah. well i guess everyone said all they wanted to say anwyay.

thanks Pretty. smile Happy New Year!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image71
          Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Constructive criticism is always welcome.  Threads discussing who is and is not, or should and should not be banned are pointless and often border on personal attacks.

I think we both know that that's not strictly true. wink

But it's all good, your house your rules.

1. profile image0

theres no shoes allowed in my house.

Bloody shoe Nazi's, lol. big_smile

People always make me take my shoes off when I'm least prepared for it, and have my toes sticking out of the ends of odd socks. smile

1. profile image0

lol i hate sweeping is all. i would have gotten you socks for xmas if i knew. nobody actually takes thier shoes off anyway..

Your house your rules, I'll just have to remember to wear my best socks should I ever be passing. big_smile

Only just finished cooking my tea, do you guys eat 'pickled onions' over there? I'm gonna eat a whole jar. smile

2. Maddie Ruud profile image71
              Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On the contrary, I honestly believe it is true.  We may disagree on what's constructive.  Things like "Maddie is a censoring b*tch" don't count as constructive in my book.  On the other hand, something like "I'd really like to see less strict moderation on personal attacks" is perfectly reasonable.

In fact, it is feedback (ie, complaints) from the community that caused us to tighten the noose on personal attacks in the forums in the first place.

1. profile image0

it's a fine line, to be sure. my perception and experience is that you guys do try to be fair and impartial, so thank you for that.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58

Damage limitation Maddy, they send you in when the shit has hit the fan because they know nobody can stay mad at you. big_smile

Certain threads were closed that in my opinion shouldn't have been, like this one by Justine http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/31645#post678377 that was not only closed, but had all the comments deleted, when she was simply making an innocent observation, and attacked nobody.

My concern was never for those who were banned, if they deserved it then good riddance, if not then it doesn't sit on my conscious.  But when moderation crosses the line into something else, that's when my spider senses start tingling.

But time to move on.

1. profile image0

lol spider senses.
                  have a good tea?

lol, yeah not bad thanks, you?  Was considering an early night tonight, might curl up under the Duvet and watch 'Up', I can't watch the first 20 mins, but after that it's great. big_smile

3. profile image0

lol nobody else seems to be listening.... thanks Mr. V

7. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

cosette,

well done, well said.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

8. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Thanks for dealing with the spammer this morning!  And all of the other things you do behind the scenes.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image78

And he gave you the reason why.

1. profile image0

ok. wait, the reason why the aniti-ban threads got closed? I saw that one. the reason why my thread got erased? I missed it...will go have alooksee...I have no doubt there was a reason. really.
      Im truly just trying to say, while it gets annoying seeing the same old stuff over and over, and there is a very very clear TOS, and if a person calls another person a cunt, they get banned. Fine and dandy, I totally respect that. You could go back thru all the threads and see me saying that sort of thing over and over.
      My question was, if the thread posted, was in the hubbers hangout wich clearly says you can go off topic, has no swearing, no name calling, no attacks, just a personal statement of opinion, does it need to be closed?

2. Haunty profile image74

Um... ok, UW. I guess the reason is I forgot to post it in extreme hub makeover. It occurred to me after it was too late. And I thought, gosh probably I could get away with it. I thought this was more or less like an informal forum where people can come to chat and have a good time without being forcibly prevented.

You know the part that got to me was "...this thread encourages a forum violation."

10. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

Right on, Cosette.

11. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

There is definitely something in the air today, not just on HP but seemingly world-wide.

Could sun spots cause this?

1. lorlie6 profile image73

Moonquakes, most definitely.

2. blue dog profile image61
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's the ghost of a president past.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Garfield?

3. profile image58
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope, the Colts lost, its thrown the whole world off kilter.

If you read the Indianapolis Star, it would certainly seem that way.  The city-county council is drafting a motion to force the Colts to refund ticket charges for Sunday.  Everything else that the council should be addressing must be hunky-dory if they have time to address this "matter of urgency"

1. profile image58
          C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea, I heard that on the radio this morning. Sounds like somebody on the council may have lost a ton of money!LOL

2. rhamson profile image71

I think that the Colt's management should take a look at how fair it is to sell tickets to watch their team play and then throw in a second team to watch lose.

I am a die hard Yankees fan since Mantle played and when I go to watch them play here in Baltimore I am so P&*%ed off when I see other players that I don't even know play instead. Bait and switch will always create problems.

12. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I notice that this thread hasn't become closed to reply.

'You can say what you like about us, as long as it's all good.'

I agree that most of those bans were fairly earned through either blatant or thinly veiled personal attacks, but the way in which those forum threads were being closed just for containing opinions that questioned them, or the closure of other threads, stank of the thought-police.

I agree that HubPages is a wonderful site, and that the HP team have created an amazing resource for us all to use, and in return we work hard to build the content that makes it what it is.

But when peoples words are removed simply for questioning something, I get a foul taste in my mouth.

But ultimately if you come into somebody else's house, you play by their rules.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. lorlie6 profile image73

You have a very good point.

3. profile image0

very good. very good.
      wish I would have seen this before running my mouth, I meant what he said..

1. profile image0

wait, I have one more thing to say.
        I dont think words should ever be removed. I do understand there are rules to go by, but someones words should be allowed to stay, agreeable or not.

A lot of newbies pass through these forums, you wouldn't want them to be given a bad impression when they're just getting started on the road to HubPages riches. wink

1. profile image0

oh, good point. good thing that when I was a newvbie..I had tough skin..  wink and 20 cents was more then what I had before...

13. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Great thread, cosette!

I am always amused in moderated forums when people cry about moderators enforcing the rules.  Everyone howls about no free speech, and whatnot. There is no free speech allowed when the owner of property decides they will not allow it, so the point is moot.

Perhaps it would be best for everyone who has found themselves offended, upset, or whatever emotional response you are having, to simply take a 24 hour break from the forums.

I believe that Jason has given reasonable explanations, and to allow the banter to continue will just encourage others to keep getting fired up.  It leads nowhere and is pointless. 

Everyone take a deep breath and go write hubs, or walk the dog, or something other than worry about dumb forum drama. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Jeffrey.

14. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

It's really quite simple folks.  You may post anything you like as long as you include a : smile

1. profile image0

or muffins.
      wink

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are a jackass! wink big_smile smile

Seriously, I love you smile

Back atcha bee-otch mad er, I mean smile

3. Haunty profile image74

Is a lol too much? smile

You're pushin it Buddy mad

2. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

careful, or you might be banned for showing too much enthusiasm also...like laughing when forums rules only 'allow' a polite smile.....u never know anymore...! hmm

It's about time someone wrote a definitive guide to the correct interpretation of forum rules. May I roll my eyes? roll smile

1. myownworld profile image74
            myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile exactly! firstly there are the rules...
            and then the different interpretations to them!!
            whoever said this was simple...!

15. Uninvited Writer profile image78

I wrote a blog post where hubbers can come and vent about the forums. You can find the link to my Uninvited Writer blog on my profile if you are interested.

1. profile image0

cool.  smile

16. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I've worked the same job as Jason - monitoring forums - and I can tell you that it's no picnic. The toughest part of the job is monitoring those people you like, doing things you really would prefer they not be doing.

You want to give these people some slack but you can't, as that reeks of favoritism. If anything, you might judge them slightly harsher (I know I did) to show members that getting inside of your circle won't allow them to bend the rules.

I remember banning one peron who I had become close friends with. It was a really tough thing to do and I emailed her later to apologize and to explain that she had been flaunting the same rules repeatedly, so I had no choice but to remove her permanently. If I hadn't, another moderator would have done it. I felt it was better for me to drop the guilotine, as I would at least be nice when I did it - as the other moderators had become frustrated with her lawless spurts.

And she was a crowd favorite ... everyone demanded she be unbanned and threatended to leave. Some left ... she was never unbanned ... and the site lived on without her, becoming more calm and productive.

This led me to an undeniable truth ... there are no indispensable people on a forum ... just people we really, really, really would not want to see leave.

Trust me when I say this ... moderator's do not enjoy banning people. Let's make Jason's job easier by getting along better, eh? smile

17. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone, I like all the smileys cosette!

I wish everyone will understand each other so that it will be merrier next year!!

1. profile image0

smile you too maita, have a good new year.

18. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

I've only been banned once, for three days, and I deserved it for letting folk get under my skin and retaliating.

I also had time to write more hubs, so it worked well for me.

I have always held that it's better to wait and respond, rather than to react, but of course forums are fast moving arenas, where we write within seconds of reading someones asinine post that infuriates us.

So it's good that we have moderators, and this recent blood letting may make the forums a better place to inhabit, if it keeps us all watchful of our behavior.

1. profile image0

think before you speak....always a good idea, that im not always good at.

19. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Cosette,

Hubpages rocks indeed!

big_smile

1. profile image0

thank you. smile

20. profile image0

ok

just to clarify, since some people are mad at me thinking i knew about them being banned and still wrote this thread, um, i did not in fact know they were banned. even if i did, i would still have posted this thread.

let the record show that this is the thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/31647#post678390

...that sparked this one. that thread was closed to replies, which necessitated this one. stating that the Hubteam is essentially bullying its members is 1) untrue and 2) way out of line.

I appreciate HubPages allowing me to be a member of their community, and they are pretty generous with what they let their members get away with. I don't feel censored or oppressed in any way.

anyway, people should stop assuming everyone has read every single thread about this issue. how could they, when they roll by so fast?

hey, I didn't ban you, ok?  roll

whatever.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quite right, Cosette. I missed the whole thing and I can't say I'm sorry.  What a fuss about nothing.  It astonishes me that people can create such a fuss about someone being banned for 3 days.  THREE DAYS, for @##$%^ sake! 

The best way to deal with such a ban is to suck it up, wait your three days and come back.  End of story. If you feel someone else got off Scot-free when you didn't, the best revenge is to report them next time they misbehave.  Nothing else is going to make any difference.  And if you're the person banned and you use a sock puppet, that's a bannable offence in itself, even if you don't say anything contentious, so what do you gain?

21. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I was on AOL for many years, many years ago. They were strict but they were fair. Unlike Hubpages, they put you out completely after 3 misdemeanours.
    Flame wars? I never saw the like! They were pretty fair, they let folk go quite far. Too far, some might say.
    I've never been attacked here, but I have seen others being attacked here, IMO quite unfairly, for voicing their opinion.
    I'm too old, too sad, too beaten down by everything to get involved, even to protect the innocent.
    I think what Hubpages staff did today, was for the good of everyone. Like it or lump it. They didn't say 'this one was wrong' or 'that one was wrong' they just dumped everyone who said something harsh, and that was for the benefit of ALL of US.
    I hope the current forum writers will think of this:)
    I am only slowly getting to know folks here. I know who they are by their style of writing, by their style of posting...
    I've been on unmoderated forums, as I'm sure most people have, and they are the places I don't want to be.The world is full of idiots, some of them educated:(
    Actually it's a bit sad that the most educated, or the most intelligent amongst us, feels the need to 'wind up the masses'. I'm not that way inclined.
    I've watched everything unfold today, and I thank the Hubpages staff for bringing a bit of sanity into my life:)

22. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Wow! So much drama LOL And the worst thing is - I missed on it! yikes

I agree to Cosette and to many others whom I usually disagree - hubteam is doing a good moderation. They may miss somebody or something here and there, but they are fair, no doubt. smile

23. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Yeah time to move on!
    You're not privy to all the info the Hubpages staff have, neither am I. Let's just take a walk:)
    So, do you like being out after dark?

1. profile image0

yea, I do. and you? smile

24. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Love it. I was built for the night hours. Pity my partner is a 'day person'. Life sucks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)